September (2016) Running Challenge

Options
1798081828385»

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thank you for all your advice on speedwork!
    I've been running more than two years (maybe 10 years on and off), but two years ago is when I suddenly discovered I liked it, and went from 2-3 times 30min per week to "lets see if I can manage to run 10km". In the beginning I did get a bit faster as my distances increased, but I just made a plot of the runs I logged as "default" on runningahead (=not long, hill, race, tempo), and realised the average pace/month for those stayed the same for a while now:
    h3mqdft0dhl9.png

And that's the distance / type of runs I've been doing:
    1ynwllmttbxh.png
    The "hills" in there aren't proper hill repeats/sprints, more single long continuous uphills (aka mountains) ;) . Ocassionally I switch on the zombie chases in the "Zombies, Run!" app - randomly having to speed up for a minute to escape the zombie mobs is a little like bursts or fartlek, I guess. The "tempo" runs in the last three month are thanks to the training plan I'm currently following (Hal Higdons Intermediate 2), which has "marathon pace" runs roughly every other week. But I have to admit that in the hottest month of summer, I ran some of those a little slower; and none of them were what you could call threshold workouts.

With my first marathon four weeks away, I'm not going to change anything for now. But that gives me plenty of time to read all the articles in the second post you linked and plan what I should do in November :smile:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 I think you are right, I will have to push myself a little harder if I want to speed up. Although I wouldn't complain if my easy pace was 6min/km, right now that's what I call my 10k pace :wink:

@kristinegift Congratulations on your 70+ mi week, that's amazing! I was already exhausted after a 70km week at the beginning of this month, I can't even imagine running 1.6 times that far.

@5512bf Oh no, I really hope you won't have to miss your marathon after all that training! Maybe you should already take it easy this weekend, instead of doring the strides, and keeping the long run a little shorter? It should be a taper week anyway, right? In any case, I'll keep my fingers crossed the hip will be fine.

@untermrad All the best for your 10k race!

--

Yesterday was crosstraining day. But I decided doing a little loop in my new Merrell Gloves before bed in addition would't hurt. I was curious to see how running in them on inclines/declines would feel.
    As I suspected, running uphill there wasn't much difference noticeable to my other shoes, but downhill I tend to land with my heel first, and with these minimalist shoes I could really feel the impact. I think I need to work on my downhill technique!
    That little loop of 2.4km puts me at 205.1km for the month. Short of my goal, but considering the time lost to travelling and having a cold, I'm still happy I made it past 200km.

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles
    9/16....4.07 miles....rolling hills program on the treadmill, pace at 11:06.
    9/18....12 miles. The first 6 miles in 67 minutes, the next 6 in 80 minutes, including 3 one minute walking breaks, starting on mile 8.
    9/22...4 miles. pace at 11:30.
    9/23....3 miles
    9/25.....12 miles....pace at 12:2
    9/28.....3 miles....pace at 10:55
    9/30.....4.33 miles ....rolling hills program on the treadmill...pace at 11:45.

total is 75.40 miles. Goal is 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/16

First time running on the treadmill with the new shoes...I hate running on the treadmill now, I just finished a rough work week and was tired. It wasn't too bad...tried to make the best of it. Aimed for 85-93% max heart rate...averaged 89%. Stationary bike x 15 minutes...cool down.

My personal trainer looked at my shoes, and thought that it was a good shoe but thought that I needed more arch support and recommended orthotics...anyone run with orthotic device in shoes?

Long run planned today...it is going to rain but I think that the rain will be at 6 p.m. So cool (66 degrees) and overcast. Then taper week before my half.

• jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    jringer1 wrote: »

exercise.png

exercise.png

• jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    Options
    @greenolivetree Please be careful when running in the dark, esp. around dogs. 2 runners last year in a neighboring county were mauled by a pack of dogs....luckily there was a passer-by who rescued them, but they had to be hospitalized. Also some motorists are not paying attention, run stop lights, stop signs....you could be wearing neon Christmas lights and they wouldn't see you.
    @lporter229 I have the shivering experience all of the time, esp. after a long run. I have a half hour drive from where I run to where I live. And I don't shower right away, because I am trying to help my skin absorb the vitamin D. I just throw on a couple of old sweaters until it is time to shower...My skin is usually caked with a layer of salt, also. I am glad that others experience it...I thought that it was a side effect of my thyroid issues.
  • ereck44
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for all of the tips this month...I especially like the advice to run based on time rather than distance (to build one's base)...it makes a lot of sense, and never thought to do it.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just did 2 last night on the treadmill as I needed a bit more recovery after an intense swim & bike ride earlier in the day. Did a mile at MP in the middle (and heart rate was about 4BPM below where I was at the start of my last marathon despite a kitten in my building adjusting up the gym's thermostat to 75 because he wants to sweat more), so the 3:05 looks promising.

Did a long ride this morning, will do 4 more today at MP, then 8 easy tomorrow as I go into my final taper week.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)
    9/7 - 6 miles
    9/9 - 6 miles
    9/11 - 3 miles
    9/12 - 8.5 miles
    9/13 - 10 miles
    9/14 - 12 miles
    9/15 - 6.5 miles
    9/16 - 20 miles
    9/17 - 6 miles (w. MP in middle)
    9/19 - 6.5 miles
    9/20 - 7 miles (w. 2@MP, and 3x1K@10K pace)
    9/21 - 6 miles (all at MP/HM heart rate)
    9/23 - 3 miles
    9/24 - 1 mile
    9/25 - 13 miles (IM 70.3 Augusta, 1:35:30)
    9/27 - 5 miles
    9/28 - 5 miles
    9/29 - 10 miles
    9/30 - 2 miles (1 @ MP)

Total: 191 miles, 7 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: Done / 1 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ohhim You tell that guy with the thermostat fingers to get a sweater? 3:05 marathon, whew! My comeback half if likely to be right about there :smiley:
  • Ohhim
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ohhim You tell that guy with the thermostat fingers to get a sweater? 3:05 marathon, whew! My comeback half if likely to be right about there :smiley:

He's already in a full tracksuit... I think I'm in 2:58 shape (based on heart rate checks during runs), but want to lock in a BQ-10 after last week's debacle, and get my 35 year old running buddy across the line in just under 3:05 as I think the BQ time next year will be right at the 5 minute mark.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    sonlh2p2d35l.jpg

This is how my recovery month went. I'm happy with it I guess. Definitely hoping for more miles in October.

Great job everyone!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Do you suppose the guy in the tracksuit is training for a warm weather event? My friend Jim was delighted with our hot summer; he told me if we had normal weather, he would have had to bundle up in the summer for bike rides, to simulate the Kona heat as best he could locally. (I have to remember to track him next week.)
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks so much for this thread! Encouraged me to reach my goals :-)
    my september goal was to run 30miles
    and i, actually, ran 35 miles :-)

Excited for October :-)
  • Ohhim
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @Ohhim - Do you suppose the guy in the tracksuit is training for a warm weather event? My friend Jim was delighted with our hot summer; he told me if we had normal weather, he would have had to bundle up in the summer for bike rides, to simulate the Kona heat as best he could locally. (I have to remember to track him next week.)

He never races. Just likes to sweat. Odd guy.

Tracking 3 friends at Kona next week. I'll get a good gauge on what I'll need to do to get there at my first full Ironman in November, as I was 2 minutes from a 40-44 year old 70.3 world championship slot at my race last weekend, but suspect maintaining form and pacing myself for a full ironman will be a bit more tricky. With 200+ competitors in my age group at Florida, finishing in the top 3 at my first race isn't too likely, but getting a slot in another 2-3 years may just require finding a smaller race (with ~100 competitors), or a downriver swim that won't penalize me as much for my weakness in the water. Well, that, about 30 watts of power gains on the bike and 15lb of losses from the midsection.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    4 miles on Friday, with Kody. My calf muscle pain was even worse than the run before so I've decided to shut it down for at least week. Now that I have a big goal ahead of me I need to think long term. Better to deal with this now than have it be an ongoing problem.

I fell short of my goal, and that's ok.

8u5a1i7bkg3k.jpeg
  • dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot about the end of September! Here it is, unfortunately I fell just short of my goal but not to worry that's all part of the journey I suppose. I've another Runthrough 5K event in Battersea Park this Saturday which should be fun, the course is flat so I should expect a relatively fast time there. Other than that it's just a case of clocking the miles for October...

exercise.png