5 October – 10.2 km
    6 October – 10 km
    8 October – 10.5 km including parkrun

Goal: 100 miles (160 km)
    Total: 63.7 km
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift do you come from a big Czech community? My other half's family is Czech and they live in West, Texas which is a HUGE Czech Community. My first 5K was in West at Westfest (big Czech festival) the name of the race is the Kolache 5K. Every race should end with all you can eat Kolaches and Pigs in a Blanket.

8qy0c6gdy34b.jpg

4d0i9c0j1478.jpg

@skippygirlsmom I don't personally come from a Czech community, but the National Czech and Slovak Museum is in Cedar Rapids, so we've got some strong Czech roots here. The whole Czech area was flooded in our historic flood in 2008 and since then the whole area has been totally rebuilt and revitalized and it's the hip, cool place in town to be on the weekend. We have a Kolache festival in the spring/early summer and it's a big deal -- carnival rides, games, and all the Kolaches you can buy. :)

LOVE the idea of 5ks ending with kolaches . Yummmmmm
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »
    SNOW????? Already, I've never run in the stuff personally and can't quite imaging it, being from So Cal, although it is quite beautiful and I enjoy looking at it from inside a warm house when I visit Colorado in the winter. :p

@luluinca, running in snow is a magical thing. My favorite run ever was running 10 miles in this:

zhkz038mwfo8.jpg

Though these other runs were pretty awesome as well

xrigc53ke32m.jpg
    cwzzmcmtxz9n.jpg
    8l6q5h71xrct.jpg

LOVE these pictures :-)))) beautiful!!
    How do you run in the snow? What shoes do you wear? I just have my new balance sneakers. How do you keep your feet from getting wet?

I'll be in New Mexico and Ohio snow this year so I'd love the advice. I'm used to my dry Texas dirt!

• jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Long run today....I'll update my ticker when I get back home.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Didn't manage to stop in here for a few days; also didn't do a lot of running. Wednesday should have been a mid-long run, but I spontaneously joined some friends for pub quiz night instead. As a compromise, I decided to run to the tram station and back. My running backpack isn't large enough to fit a full change of clothes, so I stuffed in only the shirt and sweater and ran in jeans. Not the most comfortable experience ever, I don't think I'll repeat that anytime soon! Those seams chafed more than I expected, ouch!

Thursday I chose strength training over running, and those back lunges and squats really kicked my *kitten* :D I was terribly sore on Friday - nearly didn't run, but in the end I went out for 7.5km. I was hoping that moving would help with the soreness - it did not. At least the route was hilly enough that different muscles complained on different parts of the run ^^

---

@katharmonic Your new future running partner is soooo cute!

@juliet3455 I'm a bit jealous of you right now - I have never seen a lynx in the wild! A few weeks ago, a colleage told me he'd seen one when he went hiking in the mountains (not your Canadian one, but the Eurasian Lynx), and ever since I've been dreaming of spotting one too, but no such luck so far. The most exciting wild animals I've met on a run so far were foxes.

@RespectTheKitty In most snowy weather, I've always been fine with my regular running shoes. Of course, since I bought some trail shoes (Asics Runnegade) for really muddy trails, I'm curious to see how those will do in snow. But it doesn't snow here too much, getting special shoes for snow running would probably be overkill for me.

@lporter229 All the best for your half marathon this weekend!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    10/1- 4.04 miles
    10/2- Rest/Travel day
    10/3- 3.47
    10/4- 5.03
    10/5- 3.0
    10/6- 5.0
    10/7- 4.4
    10/7- 7.4

Total: 25.05/60

Today's notes: Longest run since my HM 2 weeks ago. I think I'm fully recovered, despite jumping back into running pretty quickly. Today's run was not fun. The wind was just right so that I had a headwind or crosswind for 3/4 of the run. Total yuck. As a result, my average HR was the highest it's been so far in my zone 2 training, at 152, and I spent some time in z3. That said, I'm pleased that I didn't try to muscle through the headwind like I usually do, I let my my body and how I felt dictate pace, along with the alert on my Garmin when I hit the top of zone 2. Oh yeah, got my Garmin up and running again. VERY happy with that.

With 28 miles for the week, I'm feeling like I might be able to do more than the 20-25mpw I was thinking for over winter. I'll be VERY happy if I can figure out a way to get in 30+ over winter
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Oct  1     6.2      6.2 
    Oct  2     6.5     12.7 
    Oct  4     4.3     17.0 
    Oct  5     4.3T    21.3 
    Oct  8    10.1     31.4 

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Fantastic run today. 41 degrees and sunny. I wore my leggings and new purple running jacket. Tons of people out running, as usual for a Saturday morning. All women, though, not a single man to be found. We figured they were all up late last night watching the Cubs win. GO CUBS.

Also saw a red fox run across the street in front of me. He didn't stop to let me take a picture. He must have been in a hurry to get somewhere.

5.1 miles today.

exercise.png

• lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October Running
    =======================
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    10/3: 2.25 miles
    10/4: 2 miles
    10/5: 2 miles
    10/6: Rest Day
    10/7: 2 miles
    Today: 2.25 miles

Total/October: 15.4 miles

@skippygirlsmom Those kolaches look delicious! I haven't had one since we left the Chicago area years ago. Here in Houston, they sell pigs in a blanket and call them kolaches but I've never seen a sweet kolache anywhere here.

@lporter229 I balance fitness/family time as best I can. I get my bike rides and running in very early in the morning, usually before my husband gets up. We have dinner and evenings together, but I do tend to poop out before he does and fall asleep fairly early. (He's a night owl and I am more of a morning person.) I take my dogs with me on my runs so they get some exercise and outside time. My son is grown and works in our family business so I see him on work days and for occasional weekend dinners. I am probably going to start doing races which means that my husband will likely start running again. He'll want to go to the races with me and won't want to just sit on the sidelines so sooner or later we'll most likely end up spending at least some running time together in the near future.

@7lenny7 Those photos are beautiful. I grew up in Chicago and the snow is only very pretty when it first falls...then it is slushy and dirty until it melts. I never really ran it though. Didn't start running until after I had moved away. I personally love all the seasons, even the winter cold, and would probably like running in a snowy forest very much. For now, we are living in Houston so it is mostly heat and humidity for me.

@juliet3455 A lynx! So cool. I don't get to see anything nearly that exciting...mostly rabbits, opossums, raccoons, turtles and snakes. Once in a while, I'll spot a deer. I have also been seeing actual live armadillos since I've been going out in the early morning. Up until recently, I only ever saw smushed ones in the road; so frequently in fact that I've given them the unfortunate moniker of "Nature's Speed-bump." It has been kind of cool to see live ones out there for a change.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Definitely missed some posts while tapering/resting. Picked up my bib at the expo yesterday, getting a copy of Hal Higdon's Run Fast autographed by him at the runners world booth and enjoying lots of free samples.

Went out for my traditional pre-marathon pace setting run this morning at a little urban 6 block park gravel trail and was taken aback by how much my lungs burned when running in colder weather. Still, it looks like I'm not in infinitely better shape than for the Pittsburgh marathon, but was managing a 7:10 pace at my target marathon starting HR by mile 3 of the run (vs. 7:20 last time I did the benchmark run before my 7:10 pace race). Once I uploaded the run (from a tree lined urban park) to garmin, I noticed it wasn't picking up many of the smaller curves in the trail, so I think I may have been going slightly faster than that. I also had over-pushed mile 2 (6:40 pace) and had let my HR creep into threshold range, and may have been a few beats higher than desired when starting the test mile.

As a result, I think I'll still start with the 3:05 pace group (and my buddy) at their 7:03 pace, assess if I'm settling in ok early, and make a call to either ease up, stick with them, or push the second half if I'm feeling awesome to squeak below the 3 hour mark.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles
    10/7 - 3 miles

Total: 24 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 116 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

For those who want to time stalk me at the chicago marathon, my bib is: 3494
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    5.24 run Friday morning

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim good luck tomorrow! Your training has been awesome, I'm sure you're going to have an amazing race.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 -hope your race went well today!

Good luck tomorrow @Ohhim!

@kristinegift great job on the 5k! Glad to hear Cedar Rapids wasn't hit so hard with the flood this time. Hope you are having a fun homecoming.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options

exercise.png

Oct 1: 15km long run day
    Oct 2: 0km running, active recovery day, 6.62km brisk walk.
    Oct 3: 12.06km...2km run on coffee break in. Or img, 6.08km long hill repeats at lunch, long, 4.01km treadmill run with hill intervals after work, followed by 30 min strength training
    Oct 4: 90 minutes skating (45 min practice stake during the day, 45 min refereeing girls hockey at night)
    Oct 5: 5km progression run before work, 3km base run at lunch.
    Oct 6: 3.6 km hilly trail run at lunch, 5km tempo run on treadmill after work, 30 min strength training.
    Oct 7: REST DAY
    Oct 8: 16.7 km long run. Forgot my hydration bottles. First run without fluids. Had a couple extra gummies for fuel. Glad I was well hydrated before I started.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Ran on the treadmill at the gym yesterday because it was too hot to get outside after work. I wanted to get iin 5 miles and the run felt really pretty good until about 4.5 and then my heel/Achilles started hurting. I stretched it a bit and then pushed to get in my 5 miles plus a cool down. I really should have just stopped. By the time I got home I could barely walk. So no run for me today. My foot was so sore last night even after icing, stretching and rolling that I just turned off my alarm. Heel/Achilles is still very sore but better with more stretching and rolling this morning. It was just dumb of me to push to get past 5 miles when I should have just stopped especially since it had finally been feeling better.

@MobyCarp - sounds like my injury is similar to yours. I am just being stubborn about mine, thinking I can manage it myself. Clearly after yesterday's treadmill run fiasco I am not doing well in that regard. I will be calling my sports doc on Monday morning. Also - I don't know if you have an REI near you but they sometimes have good sales on SmartWool and DarnTough socks and a great return policy so you don't have to mail them anywhere. The socks also show up once in a while on ActiveGearup. I find myself buying them onsale to the point I now have a drawer full of 'spares' and have to hold back from buying any more :)
    @kristinegift - love your pictures! Enjoy being home!! Congratulations on your race PR and placing!
    @katharmonic - your new pup is adorable! How old is she?
    On the running in snow discussion - Like @luluinca I don't get much chance to run in the snow. When my daughter was in school in Maryland and we would visit I would run the trails near the house and it was beautiful. I just couldn't run when it got too deep. We did go snowshoeing a few times and that was awesome and something I hadn't done since I was a kind in Idaho. Loved the snowy trail pictures @7lenny7 - it is like a wonderland and I bet so quiet!
    @skippygirlsmom - I don't think of Alabama as getting much snow. Your picture is beautiful. I am not much of a pastry eater but the kolaches look yummy.
    @juliet3455 - Growing up in Idaho we used to take a jeep on the back roads at night in the spring and 'catch' the lynx and other animals in the car spotlights. It was the only times I ever saw many of the shyer animals. My friends had really nice cameras and we got some great shots... wonder whatever happened to those pictures.
    @RespectTheKitty - look at you becoming a morning runner!
    @ddmom0811 - I am so glad the storm is gone and you all are safe without too much damage!
    @johnnylloyd0618 - love that you were arguing with yourself! I thnk we all do that at some point :)

Good luck @ereck44, @5512bf, @lporter229, @mmteixeira, @Ohhim, @AdrianChr92 and anyone else I missed who is racing this weekend!

Date.........Miles........Total
    10/01......12.16.......12.16
    10/02........0.00.......12.16 - Dog beach Sunday
    10/03........5.23.......17.39 + Agility
    10/04........4.26.......21.65 + Strength Training
    10/05........0.00.......21.65
    10/06........3.87.......25.52 + Rally Obedience
    10/07........5.30.......30.82 - Treadmill
    10/08........0.00.......30.82

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle

11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double