The FOOD SCALE doesn't LIE and we should all use Grams not tablespoons.

Replies

• sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Holy crap, >1kg of peanut butter a week?! You should skip the bread calories and just eat it straight from the jar (or as my poppa says, would you like some chips with your tomato sauce?)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I want to know what brand of Peanut butter he has that 5tbsp is only 525 calories. I want that one. I stopped eating peanut butter because 1 tbsp is 190 calories.

As was already pointed out, I am pretty sure that is for 2 tbsp. As for lower calorie PBS, try PB2. 45 calories per 2 tbsp and tastes great.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Here are 2 pictures, top view and side view, of 189 grams of No Name brand smooth peanut butter on a corn tortilla. That's more than 1 cup of peanut butter. That's more peanut butter than is called for to make peanut butter cookies.
    d7kyhlr9x99z.jpg
    hgza7m9tvl56.jpg

Yeah OP sandwich is no where near this amount of PB lol. I think he may be having scale issues or doing something wrong. OP there is no way your sandwiches are really that many calories of peanut butter. I just don't see how you can fit almost a cup of peanut butter onto some bread and the photo looks like MAX 4tbsp peanut butter which is only ~500 cals.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    190g of peanut butter is half a jar. Wasn't it obvious that your servings were large? And didn't that much pb cement your jaw together :D
  • MyWeigh58
    MyWeigh58 Posts: 22 Member
    Kelbelb75 wrote: »
    I was one of those "shocked/appalled" people who weighed food after eyeballing amounts for the first few months when I started. Sometimes I wanna cry coz the food amount is so much smaller than my beautiful brain expects/wants. *sigh* :#

Same here. Some things I just have to use the scale rather than spoon/cup measurements.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    This post has been very entertaining. That is all. Carry on
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    My scale is dead on I weighed a roll or quarters it was 220 grams should have been 218.8 so really close. I eat 40 ounces of PB a week what can i say I'm addicted to it. I don't drink or smoke so its my vice. I could stand to put about 15 lbs back on so I'm not worried about it. My Doc says I'm really healthy all blood work came back awesome so I will keep it up.
  • Michael190lbs
    edited October 2016

[/quote]

pbj.jpg 49.6K
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Wow. You must really like peanut butter. lol. I'm more of a jelly person myself.
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    For me, not using a food scale and just using package information on nutrient content plus cups and spoons and knowing what serving sizes are in relation to my hand, didn't stop me from reaching my goal and losing about 4 pounds a month for 10 months.

I'm glad others have found the scale gives them the accuracy and accountablilty to succeed in their goals though. :)

Well you probably wasn't underestimating your calories by 600 for a sandwich either. It's not the case for everyone though.. and that's the people who benefit from using a scale.

That's fine, but the title says ALL people should do as the op is doing. The op also states that everybody should weigh because guessing doesn't work. Weighing isn't necessary for everyone either. If people would knock off the sweeping statements and realize that people are different, threads would be so much less of a headache.

The FOOD SCALE doesn't LIE and we should all use Grams not tablespoons.

The title above (Nothing else)- Guessing is just that guessing, weighing is the Most accurate way, obviously people are different, see a doctor for the headache -

Thank you for your contribution.

My point was I believed I was accurate when in reality I was SOOOO not accurate in an attempt to show how someone else might be too..

Now back to this world leader thing :)

There are a couple of issues here. First, a tablespoon is a volumetric measure, like a liter. A gram, like a pound ( sorta, I think it's really a "slug") is a measure of weight (technically mass, a newton is force or weight). A compactable matter, like flour, can have a different density and thus there is not a strict correlation between volume and weight. That's why you sift flour first, or better yet, measure it by weight and not volume. It's also why something like brown sugar is typically compressed (to remove air) when measured by volume, while white sugar is not (it's basically incompressible and doesn't tend to form voids).

With that said, peanut butter is basically NOT compressible in the manner in which you indicate. In fact, it would tend to be opposite, leaving voids of air in it and making the volume falsely OVERESTIMATE the weight and calorie content, (like brown sugar rather than flour).

The problem here isn't that you used a tablespoon vs a gram, but rather that you had false data. In fact, data that is so false that I almost have to question if this post is just trolling. 189 grams is over six and a half ounces. That's almost half a pound of peanut butter! To think that had only ~500 calories is nearly unfathomable.

You're right, a measure by gram(s) is probably the best method for dealing with food; but the error in this case is due to blind use of incorrect data.

As an aside, it should be noted that the imperial system has two "ounces", the fluid ounce which is volumetric, and the ounce, which is a measure of weight. With the exception of water, these things are not the same. Technically I think even water is off by some slight amount or something strange.
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2016
    cinnag4225 wrote: »
    Don't "spoon" measurements convert to milliliters? I've never seen grams listed for things like nut butters and cream cheese.

Yes, google it (8 fluid ounces (or tablespoons to liters, 5 ounces to grams, 3 inches to cm) and it will calculate and give you the answer. You can also ask for things inside the imperial system, like tablespoons to teaspoons, (fluid) ounces, cups, pints, whatever.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    This thread has made me want a toasted peanut butter sandwich :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    KateTii wrote: »

Me too :weary:

• Michael190lbs
    KateTii wrote: »

New jar peanut butter this am 40 ounce jar this is what I scooped out for one sandwich it weighed with bread being zeroed out 194.22 grams It WAS delicious and I have 9000 steps in before 8 am so used up too.. scg9y3a0bk24.jpg
    faqnb0sh3do5.jpg
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited October 2016
    Steps to heaven:
    1) take bread,better if warm and crunchy
    2) take a spoon
    3) dip it in a Nutella jar and scoop out a big chunk of nutella
    4) spread nutella on bread and enjoy the moment
    5) repeat till bread is all gone
    6) finish off with a nice spoon of Nutella just to clear your palate

Then, and if you want to come back to earth, weigh how much Nutella is left after this simple procedure, you'll be terrified :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Steps to heaven:
    2) take a spoon

i've always wondered what nutella tastes like. I'm allergic to hazelnuts (and unfortnately, anything that is "chocolate" here in europe has them in it!) and i've never had nutella.

Does it taste like peanut butter but a different nut? Or does it taste like chocolate? Is this consistency runnier or thicker than pb?
  • patrikc333
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Steps to heaven:
    2) take a spoon

i've always wondered what nutella tastes like. I'm allergic to hazelnuts (and unfortnately, anything that is "chocolate" here in europe has them in it!) and i've never had nutella.

Does it taste like peanut butter but a different nut? Or does it taste like chocolate? Is this consistency runnier or thicker than pb?

It's just heaven.
    Imo, it's obviously sweeter then pb, a bit more thicker but sort of same consistency, and it tastes as chocolate, but a bit sweeter - you can tell is made of hazelnuts, but I really cannot describe it in words :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Steps to heaven:
    2) take a spoon

It's just heaven.
    Imo, it's obviously sweeter then pb, a bit more thicker but sort of same consistency, and it tastes as chocolate, but a bit sweeter - you can tell is made of hazelnuts, but I really cannot describe it in words :)

awesome! thanks! :) Here's a gif for your effort.

nutella-o.gif
  • Michael190lbs
    Steps to heaven:
    2) take a spoon

Its runnier than peanut butter but NOT runny it taste like chocolate and a different but delicious peanut butter combined its not a favorite of mine but good. So sorry for your allergy I can't imagine a peanut allergy their such a large part of my life..
  • patrikc333
    Steps to heaven:
    2) take a spoon

It's just heaven.

awesome! thanks! :) Here's a gif for your effort.

66290-Personalised-Nutella-Jars-Are-Causing-A-Freakout-Because-People-Can-....gif

Very dangerous gift for me :smiley: