Hiking for fitness

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I just finished the initiation meeting for a new scout crew and planning several hikes through the year. Holding a trial hike and clothing demo in two weeks. Awesome getting the next generation passionate about hiking!
  • socrmommy
    socrmommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would like to connect (with) folks who are into hiking. I moved to Seattle area a year ago, and started hiking a few months back. It has done wonders to my mental and physical health: I have lost weight; my energy level is up; sleep better; better focus; me-time helps me de-stress, ... the list goes on. I hit the trails every Saturday morning. During the weekdays spend some time in the gym to improve my fitness. Honestly, it is more mental strength right now than my fitness but I keep raising the bar every weekend - one little step at a time.

I would like other hikers to share their experiences, training programs, diet plans, motivational tips, tips on trail heads, .., or any other interesting insight.

I am certain this will motivate other people to take up this great outdoor activity.

Sam
    Redmond, WA
    I would like to connect (with) folks who are into hiking. I moved to Seattle area a year ago, and started hiking a few months back. It has done wonders to my mental and physical health: I have lost weight; my energy level is up; sleep better; better focus; me-time helps me de-stress, ... the list goes on. I hit the trails every Saturday morning. During the weekdays spend some time in the gym to improve my fitness. Honestly, it is more mental strength right now than my fitness but I keep raising the bar every weekend - one little step at a time.

I would like other hikers to share their experiences, training programs, diet plans, motivational tips, tips on trail heads, .., or any other interesting insight.

I am certain this will motivate other people to take up this great outdoor activity.

Sam
    Redmond, WA
    My hubby and I live in northern CA and love hiking as well. Our goal is to do Mt. Kilimanjaro by the time we are 45. There is nothing like pushing yourself up trail or stopping for a PB&J by a creek with nothing but nature around you. I bet it is beautiful up there! We have Yosemite and Lake Tahoe around us so good hikes here too. Please add us to this group and anyone else like minded too!
  • sarahgreensandthings
    Options
    I'm from the midwest and love hiking! I post mainly on insta, if that's what you're looking for @greensandthings_ :smiley:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm from the midwest and love hiking! I post mainly on insta, if that's what you're looking for @greensandthings_ :smiley:

I also am in the midwest (hard to tell from my username, I know).
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Some pics from Mount Bandera, WA hike today. Highest point: ~5200 ft; elvation gain : ~3400 ; out and back 8 miles.

Calories burnt ~1800

3ndaodfoj0hd.jpeg
    2mkg6n7vf4ij.jpeg
    m7uqz83xs7pm.jpeg
    e66qhzlxq84f.jpeg
    6oesrb65do9e.jpeg
    q59gxmridnsz.jpeg
    sorcemd12ei9.jpeg
    c7mnkg9wy2b4.jpeg
    i4r0e1to7l9c.jpeg
    id4b3wquachs.jpeg
    yyuci92vo10x.jpeg
    7kvbibr3dq8q.jpeg
    qaz80tcp1num.jpeg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @NorthCascades and @sireenmalik2014 Great photos, thanks for sharing. You guys have some awesome real estate to recreate in! I'm guessing you don't see a lot of people on your excursions????
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hiking is one of the oldest natural exercises we can do. I absolutely love it. It is not the main workout for me but rather a supplement to existing routines.
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wanted to move this thread back to the front page. One of my favorite threads on this board. :-)
  • sohosocialclub
    sohosocialclub Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hiking in Nebraska!
  • sohosocialclub
    sohosocialclub Posts: 299 Member
    Options
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @sohosocialclub It's been awhile since I've made it out to Indian Cave State Park, but it is one of the best in NE.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @NorthCascades and @sireenmalik2014 Great photos, thanks for sharing. You guys have some awesome real estate to recreate in! I'm guessing you don't see a lot of people on your excursions????

It's surprisingly crowded here. Hiking is getting more popular and Seattle is growing; put them together and one of the favorite topics on the local hiking forum is ranting about how busy the trails are.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ezx13du6ve28.jpg

Hike I did with my kid yesterday. This was the view :)
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue I am in Hartford for work today and hiked Talcott Mt. It was beautiful
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Got some hiking done in Yellowstone. We did a few boardwalks but we did get on some more natural trails and although they weren't very long, there were some great climbs. It was fantastic.

0ion8lghvc8q.jpg
    clfj4kpppa5b.jpg
    c7qummpp94y6.jpg
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    West Fork Trail on Mt. Baldy, eastern AZ White Mountains. Peak aspen leaf season. Gotta love living here!

yr9292voya1p.jpg

ooft0h6mixlh.jpg

pdcesqi69o1q.jpg

• jamesdaustin70
    jamesdaustin70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Sam
    Redmond, WA

I'm in Prescott Valley Arizona but working in Mesa during the week. I go to the gym and work the treadmill to improve my cardio for hikes. After a month now I can see a huge improvement when I go hiking on the weekends.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options