The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,186 Member
    My first marriage we were married for 14 years and never could have kids. I would get that all the time. The other thing I would get is at family or church gatherings was free advice on how to get my wife pregnant. By about year 10 I was making a game out of it. They would say something and I would give an absolute ridiculous answer. My favorite was to respond, "I have her use public toilets, but nothing ever happens. I have tried holding her hand, but that didn't seem to work either." It usually got me a blank stare like I was crazy, but it stopped them from offering advice.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    @lilaclovebird I TOTALLY feel your pain. No social life, only seeing my husband in passing, zero social life. YESS

People don't understand unless they've done it for awhile. Not a few months here and there. My social life is having lunch with a good friend of mine and that's like maybe twice a month. I wouldn't get out of bed till 2ish and my stepson would be home by 3. It's very isolating and people who work even semi-normal hours have no d@mn clue.

And now I can't get down to her easily bc roads are washed out. Yay.

We finally got power back last night 7ish. And it was still on this morning when I left. Fortunately that was the only issue we had; we're up pretty high geographically speaking. Hubs had a genius moment and went and snatched up a power inverter Sunday morning. We hooked it up to one of the cars and we could run the fridge and freezer alternately. I think we'll have to toss the ice cream but that's it. Dude is my hero.

Now I'm working towards my weekend off.
  • sufferlandrian
    @bethanie0825 - That guy is a genius! I used to have a motor home and we would hook an extension cord to the freezer and refrigerator and run the generator. A 7000 W generator would give us power for both at the same time. We would kind of move into the motor home for a short while. Our power usually went out because of wind storms in the fall and early winter so heating and cooking were more of a problem than keeping the refrigerator cold. Freezers are always an issue, even in February. Sorry about the ice cream. :frowning:
  • sufferlandrian
    Two days off was nice but I got sick for one of them and it has been raining cats and dogs for the other. Back to work. At least I've had good clients tonight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It rained all day yesterday here. I'm glad it's not cold enough yet for that to be miserable. Sorry you got sick, hope you're feeling better!
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Hola, all... I have a night shift job and just found this thread.

What goes on in here?
  • 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    officially going to nights next year...currently on 3am-11am
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    @lilaclovebird and @bethanie0825 I get it now too. I've been working nights for nearly 6 years and I didn't care about not having a social life while working the graveyard shift for the first 4.5 yrs. But now that I've been dating the same girl for over a year which honestly surprised that I even met her with this weird work schedule of mine, I am actually looking to changing shifts or at least get weekends off.
  • sufferlandrian
    I've been doing nights for almost 20 years. I tried dayshift for awhile. The politics and the time demands left me ready to go back to nights. At night I can take as long as I need to when a case comes in. Days they wanted me to see a new patient every 15 minutes. I have a very tolerant wife so nights work well. :)
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Hi. So bored tonight it would be nice to have someone private messaging me back & forth.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    I've been doing nights for almost 20 years. I tried dayshift for awhile. The politics and the time demands left me ready to go back to nights. At night I can take as long as I need to when a case comes in. Days they wanted me to see a new patient every 15 minutes. I have a very tolerant wife so nights work well. :)

Those seem few and far between when it comes to people working nightshift with families and such. Tolerant and understanding spouses are so hard to find. :weary:

I definitely get it on the politics side of things. I'm glad the rumor mill FINALLY worked its way around to the relationship between SSP and I but I'm also a little peeved because I know who all it came from and it's so damn frustrating when this person keeps talking about how they want to move to nights but THANK GOODNESS their spouse wont 'let them'. :wink:
    Like we want your bored *kitten* talking *kitten* on our shift! :triumph:
  • sufferlandrian

Those seem few and far between when it comes to people working nightshift with families and such. Tolerant and understanding spouses are so hard to find. :weary:

I definitely get it on the politics side of things. I'm glad the rumor mill FINALLY worked its way around to the relationship between SSP and I but I'm also a little peeved because I know who all it came from and it's so damn frustrating when this person keeps talking about how they want to move to nights but THANK GOODNESS their spouse wont 'let them'. :wink:

LOL. :smile: I totally get the not wanting someone on your shift that is going to create more problems than they solve. We've had to cut back on one of our employees because they can't seem to keep from trying to stir things up. I think she finally took the hint.
  • BodyByBex

LOL. :smile: I totally get the not wanting someone on your shift that is going to create more problems than they solve. We've had to cut back on one of our employees because they can't seem to keep from trying to stir things up. I think she finally took the hint.

I wish we could do that with certain employees of ours. Unfortunately, all we can do is have meetings where the Lieutenant gets all 'yelly' and goes on and on about the ridiculousness of it all. I think it is at this point(his 2 year mark) he is now realizing how different our detachment is from the main Houston Campus and that he MIGHT have made a mistake in moving out here. :laugh:

But out of all the lieutenants I've heard about, I'm glad he's the one who chose to come out here. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    And of course, the yelling works so well. If all they are going to do is yell at you, where is the incentive to stop? Until someone makes it so you can let someone go for creating a stressful work environment for others, no one is going to stop. :frowning:
  • sufferlandrian
    Ever have one of those nights when you just want to lock the doors and hope no more crazy people come through. It has to be a full moon!
  • BodyByBex
    Ever have one of those nights when you just want to lock the doors and hope no more crazy people come through. It has to be a full moon!

It is actually..... :grin:
  • bethanie0825
    lacroyx wrote: »
    @lilaclovebird and @bethanie0825 I get it now too. I've been working nights for nearly 6 years and I didn't care about not having a social life while working the graveyard shift for the first 4.5 yrs. But now that I've been dating the same girl for over a year which honestly surprised that I even met her with this weird work schedule of mine, I am actually looking to changing shifts or at least get weekends off.

My husband was cool with me working nights till his schedule changed to almost exclusively days. Even then he knew it might be some time till I could move and he was good. I just lucked out that problem child basically had a fit and quit. :lol: But being a daywalker isn't too bad; the shifts go faster, I'm getting much better sleep.

As for the drama, my coworker and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I will say that you should def make sure who you send texts to; don't talk *kitten* about someone and then, send that someone the text where you're talking *kitten* about them. :lol: It happened on the other dayshift rotation while they were here at work, on a Sunday, when no one else was here. They got to spend the whole day together. In awkward silence too.

I'm glad my partner and I get along, thank God!
  • sufferlandrian
    Wow, that's awkward. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    I needed this slow night. I think I'm suffering from fatigue and burnout.
  • bethanie0825
    I needed this slow night. I think I'm suffering from fatigue and burnout.

I've been there myself, it's no fun at all *hugs*