How many calories do you aim for a day??

Options

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Thanx for the advice guys, I just think if I eat more I'm not guna loose weight xx

What are your stats? Do you workout? If you do, what is your plan? What are your goals? Do you use a food scale? Do you log every day?

I rarely go to gym, but have a active job working 13 hours a day on my feet and go to pole 4 fitness once a week I go for walk once a week to a good brisk hour walk, I log everyday bin naughty today tho ate just over 1000 but burned over 400 cals on me walk, I'm 10.12 now want to get to 9 stone X

An active job and only 800 calories. I have an active job and no way I could go through the day on that little, I can burn up to 3000 calories on a work day that's a big deficit.
  • ksenija997
    ksenija997 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    max 1200 but lower-better. Sometimes this app doesn't want to show 5 week progress, so that sucks
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What's with all the undereaters in this thread? Malnutrition isn't cool.

I know, right? It's down right disturbing.

ANYONE WHO ISN'T OBESE OR 5' OR OLDER. STOP UNDER EATING. NO, IT IS NOT BETTER OR OKAY TO STARVE YOURSELF THIN. I only say this because I give a crap. One can develop serious health issues from under eating. @ksenija997

Here's the list again in case you missed it:

The dangers of under eating.
    -Dry skin
    -Hair falling out
    -brittle nails
    -malnutrition
    -mental disorders worsening
    Hormonal imbalance
    -Amenorrhea
    -Fuzzy thinking
    -Fatigue
    -insomnia
    -Anemia
    -Cachexia (the wasting of muscle)
    -Bones will break down
    -Brittle and breaking teeth
    -Sunken eyes

And eventually your organs will be affected.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

It's shocking how so many disregard their short term and long term health.
    I'm an old fart and seem to have a longer term view than many of these young people who think starving themselves is a good idea.
    It's really quite sad.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Around 2000-2500 with a tending weightloss of somewhere in the region 1.5lb/week, although some weeks I don't lose anything and another week I'll lose 3-4lb.
  • dawnwarcup28
    dawnwarcup28 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    1012 right now. Sometimes I eat under, sometimes over. However, I am nearly sedentary because I don't walk a lot on my ankle (I had surgery earlier this year and didn't walk for 4-5months) and I rarely ever get out. Sometimes I have a super high calorie day, some days I might eat 1200-1300 and other days I might eat closer to 700-900calories. It varies.
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    1012 right now. Sometimes I eat under, sometimes over. However, I am nearly sedentary because I don't walk a lot on my ankle (I had surgery earlier this year and didn't walk for 4-5months) and I rarely ever get out. Sometimes I have a super high calorie day, some days I might eat 1200-1300 and other days I might eat closer to 700-900calories. It varies.

Awww bless ya hun, hope ur ankle heels fully for u x
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Keishia wrote: »

I eat around 1700 calories per day. However, I do not eat more to make up the calories I burn when I exercise and that is because my trainer told me not to.

Ah right that's good hun, is it best to do cardio to get rid of fat or weights? Xx

I wouldn't do either on so few Calories, but up your intake and cardio is good for your heart while strength is good for your bones, neither gets rid of fat though. It's your diet that gets rid of the fat and you want to lose as little muscle as possible (or even add extra) by eating a sensible amount and adding in strength/resistance.
  • dawnwarcup28
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

It's shocking how so many disregard their short term and long term health.
    I'm an old fart and seem to have a longer term view than many of these young people who think starving themselves is a good idea.
    It's really quite sad.

It seems to good to be true to be be able to eat more and lose weight lol
  • dawnwarcup28
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

Around 2000-2500 with a tending weightloss of somewhere in the region 1.5lb/week, although some weeks I don't lose anything and another week I'll lose 3-4lb.

That's good hun X
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    592 is my goal for Monday and Wednesday
    2360 is my goal for the for the rest of the week

5:2 feels less restrictive than aiming for baseline calories + exercise of the day
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I like to hit around 1400-1500, and I struggle with that sometimes, I couldn't imagine limiting myself to 800 daily. I definitely recommend either upping your calories or double check that you are logging accurately, because maybe you are underestimating. Do you use a food scale?

No I don't use scales hun I mainly eat porridge, then cup of soup crackers, jelly and banana and tea I have either ready meal , pasta pot etc jelly and apple and maybe cereal bar for snack, and Sunday dinner on a Sunday lol xx

All of those things can be a bit difficult to estimate portion and calories sometimes so its very possible youre underestimating what youre eating. I know some days ill go scale free and I know my estimates are way off. Something to consider! :)
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    I follow my Fitbit maintenance calories to gradually lose weight, and occasionally I do a few days of nutrient-dense, low calorie eating to drop weight faster.

So, in a normal week, I never go below 2000kcal and am often above 2500. In a low calorie week I still eat more than you do!

Can I just say I kinda love you, I don't know very many people that eat the same amount as I do to lose weight. I'd be thoroughly miserable if I only had 1000 calories a day and love the look on some people's faces when they see how much (and what) I eat.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Oishii wrote: »
    I follow my Fitbit maintenance calories to gradually lose weight, and occasionally I do a few days of nutrient-dense, low calorie eating to drop weight faster.

So, in a normal week, I never go below 2000kcal and am often above 2500. In a low calorie week I still eat more than you do!

Can I just say I kinda love you, I don't know very many people that eat the same amount as I do to lose weight. I'd be thoroughly miserable if I only had 1000 calories a day and love the look on some people's faces when they see how much (and what) I eat.
    It's part of the reason people are so set in the idea that weightloss is impossible.

I had a former acquaintance be told they needed to eat an 800 calorie diet of shakes by a doctor a few years ago. Needless to say, when I saw him recently, he was even bigger than the last time I saw him.

• dawnwarcup28
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

5:2 feels less restrictive than aiming for baseline calories + exercise of the day

Hello, so you only eat 592 calories 2 days a week?
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Hello, so you only eat 592 calories 2 days a week?
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/
    It's a kind of intermittent fasting. Yeah, I do eat very little two days to create a deficit, but it's offset by five days if maintenance. Calories are still king, but it makes dealing with the weekends nicer and lets me eat the snackier foods I'd want in the amount I'd want. Eating very little everyday is a very different story.

IF can make dealing with hunger easier if it can fit into your lifestyle. It's not magic, just easier for me.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @dawnwarcup28 Hi, I'm writing this post because I used to be you. I used to think that the less I ate, the better/faster my weight loss would be. I used to think that I felt ok, so therefore I was ok. I used to think it's only for a short while, and lots of other people do it, so it will be fine. I used to think that dieting was supposed to be uncomfortable/difficult/some kind of punishment. I was wrong, and so are you.

Dawn, it isn't fine. People have told you in this very thread what can happen if you eat too few calories, and you're ignoring them. People have told you that you need to be more accurate with your intake by measuring accurately (i.e by weighing everything you eat and choosing correct information from the database) and you're saying that you'll do that but then you're responding to people who tell you that they eat low amounts (even if it's only for a few days because they are following an intermittent fasting plan). You can buy kitchen scales in Asda for £8, which may or may not be out of your budget but until you get a handle on what size portions you can eat I think you should make buying or borrowing some a priority.

I don't think you have an eating disorder, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I do, however, think you're misguided about how weight loss and calorie deficits work, and I urge you to re-read all the posts that are trying to explain to you how to do this healthfully. Hopefully, reading through this stuff will help to change your mindset about what you need to do to be successful and healthy.

The best-case scenario for you is that you're not accurately counting your calories and won't lose the weight at the rate you think you will. The worst-case scenario is that you may end up with health problems that aren't easily fixed. Both these scenarios can be fixed by you learning how to calculate your calories, eating food that fits your allowance and have an overall diet that is good for you nutritionally. Read through these links; ask questions if you're not sure about anything (you'll soon learn who is giving reliable advice!), and remember that it's not a race or a competition. Take very good care of yourself.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Wow-- I'm 60, female, 5'2 1/2" and I'm losing slow but sure on 1300-1500 calories a day. No way I could do 1200 or less for any length of time.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I eat my body weight (in lbs) x10, so if I weigh 130lbs, i'll eat 1300 cals, if I weigh 120lbs, i'll eat 1200 cals, this has been the best method for me. A lot of fitness people take a similar approach to this