Losing 4-5 pounds /week?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I actually have seen a lot of the 2/week on boards but no real evidence why. I can see the dangers if you are crashing or starving yourself but this isn't the situation. The other info all over is the 1200 minimum which I'm sticking to. Not trying to incite anger, people -just trying to learn.

It seems a bit dramatic to tell me I am damaging my heart with 1200/day and 45 min walking. Geez. My doctor hasn't said that. This was exact what she told me to do.
    I actually have seen a lot of the 2/week on boards but no real evidence why. I can see the dangers if you are crashing or starving yourself but this isn't the situation. The other info all over is the 1200 minimum which I'm sticking to. Not trying to incite anger, people -just trying to learn.

It seems a bit dramatic to tell me I am damaging my heart with 1200/day and 45 min walking. Geez. My doctor hasn't said that. This was exact what she told me to do.

Yeah they went pretty extreme on you. Just keep in mind these people don't know. So at the end of the day the harsh words don't matter. I think your weight loss will slow in time but if you are concerned about losing too fast you should eat a little more. I do agree that rapid weight loss can pose some potential problems. Talk to your doctor to further insight. Good luck :)

No one's words have been harsh in this thread. They're trying to help stop a person from doing lasting damage to their health.

"So leave it to natural selection, guys". Harsh.
  • wookiepants
    wookiepants Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    But I am following the mfp recommendation which suggests 1200/day (to lose 2/week) based on my info I've put in there. I know some people override that. So I'm my situation am I supposed to go over each day to slow it down? Also I don't eat the exercise calories, but the walking only gives me like 250 or so.

Also I am NOT under repotting. I measure and track everything.

Tape worms?
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

OP, read this girl's experience. This is a new thread too.

I did - sorry for her experience but I am not on a low carb high protein diet, which is likely the root of her liver problems. BTW I'm avoiding diabetes by losing weight- obesity is the #1 risk. Her saying she got diabetes from fast weight loss doesn't jive with what I know, and this is one of the main things on my radar as there's diabetes in my family.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

OP, read this girl's experience. This is a new thread too.

I did - sorry for her experience but I am not on a low carb high protein diet, which is likely the root of her liver problems. BTW I'm avoiding diabetes by losing weight- obesity is the #1 risk. Her saying she got diabetes from fast weight loss doesn't jive with what I know, and this is one of the main things on my radar as there's diabetes in my family.

Okay, fair enough as to your comments about not being on a low carb high protein diet and the diabetes.

However, the majority of her side effects are from quick weight loss.
  • ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing honey. You have a great system that is working for you. A slow in your weight loss rate may happen as you get smaller, so expect it eventually but don't become discouraged. Listen to your body, be easy on your joints, and keep at it
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You'll gain it all back, and fast, once you are NOT eating that caloric intake. And I can bet you won't forever. Your body will find ways to tell you this is not enough for it to sustain life forever.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ItsMariii wrote: »
    Keep doing what you are doing honey. You have a great system that is working for you. A slow in your weight loss rate may happen as you get smaller, so expect it eventually but don't become discouraged. Listen to your body, be easy on your joints, and keep at it

Really? This is not good advice at all.

She says downstream that she does not want to lose weight at a slower weight.

• ItsMariii
    Options
    I doubt she plans on eating 1200 calories every day forever...
    Eventually the goal is to eat at maintenance once a healthy weight has been reached. Which wouldn't cause her to gain all of her lost weight back
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I doubt she plans on eating 1200 calories every day forever...
    Eventually the goal is to eat at maintenance once a healthy weight has been reached. Which wouldn't cause her to gain all of her lost weight back

When you are intentionally losing weight that quickly and don't want it to stop, then that's a problem.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism will slow down and when you start eating more, it will store whatever is in excess of the caloric intake you were eating before as fat. You will eventually gain your weight back once you're not eating this caloric value anymore.
  • ItsMariii
    Options

Neither did I initially either.
    Who can genuinely say " Oh! I'm really looking forward to slowing down my weight loss while I'm still unhealthy and very overweight and uncomfortable "
    It's nice and reassuring to see the lbs drop quickly and consistently without having to starve yourself, finally finding a system that works. If she is not starving herself, has sustainable energy throughout the day and is listening to her body along with checking in with her doctor....what is the problem ?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Who can genuinely say " Oh! I'm really looking forward to slowing down my weight loss while I'm still unhealthy and very overweight and uncomfortable "
    It's nice and reassuring to see the lbs drop quickly and consistently without having to starve yourself, finally finding a system that works. If she is not starving herself, has sustainable energy throughout the day and is listening to her body along with checking in with her doctor....what is the problem ?

Did you read the whole thread?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

You don't think losing 4 to 5 pounds a week is starving oneself?

Did you read all the postings in this thread? Many problems are listed upstream.
  • ItsMariii
    edited October 2016
    Options
    People who are considered obese lose a lot of weight rather quickly with a small caloric deficit compared to others who are already in a healthy weight range. She says that she is still obese. The chances of organ failure and all of these other health issues listed in this thread are more likely to happen to her the longer she holds on to the unhealthy weight putting more strain and work on her body. Not the other way around.
    She also says that she doesn't purposely want to slow down her weight loss in the future. Not that she would do something drastic or insane to keep it going once she reaches near a healthy weight.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    People who are considered obese lose a lot of weight rather quickly with a small caloric deficit compared to others who are already in a healthy weight range. She says that she is still obese. The chances of organ failure and all of these other health issues listed in this thread are more likely to happen to her the longer she holds on to the unhealthy weight putting more strain and work on her body. Not the other way around.
    She also says that she doesn't purposely want to slow down her weight loss in the future. Not that she would do something drastic or insane to keep it going once she reaches near a healthy weight.

You still don't answer that you've read the entire thread. OP is netting negative calories. In no way, shape, or form is that healthy, no matter how obese. And you do realize that how she is approaching weight loss now is how eating disorders start, correct? I'm not saying she will develop one, but to assume she will stop drastic matters is dangerously encouraging her.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A couple of people who are viewing my food diary suggested my Calorie goal is too high . I'm 6'0 and 455 pounds and of course I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible. What should be my calorie goal? An if you was in my shoes what would be your exercise goal daily? I want to burn at least a 1,000 calories a day and eat no more then 2,000. It's gonna take a couple of weeks to get the nutrition down pack with out starving myself.I'm full confident that I can burn at least 1,200 calories daily

Please feel free to check out and critique Food Diary:
This discussion has been closed.