October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    These past two weeks I have been casually taking some down time from running and focusing on yoga and strength training. I will probably continue on this path of light, easy mileage and hitting the weights and yoga classes for the next 4 weeks before starting a training regimen for Boston. I am thinking of taking a different approach this time around and wanted to get your thoughts and opinions.

The training for my last two full marathons and my last half were structured around Matt Fitzgerald's intermediate/advanced plans in "80/20 Running". I adapted them as I saw fit, but stuck pretty close to his speed work sessions which included one tempo type run and one interval/hill repeat run each week. I really hit those speed workouts hard, usually giving it my A effort and it definitely paid off.

This time around I am thinking of toning down the speed work, or maybe even ditching it entirely, and focusing on easy mileage and also doing a little more strength training. My strength training really suffered in the past because it was too difficult to fit it in around recovery from the intense speed sessions, but I do believe that it really goes a long way towards keeping me injury free. My goal for Boston is not focused around time. I want to have an enjoyable and "easy" (if there is such a thing) race. Based on my previous marathon experiences and my current long run paces, I think I might be able to run easy and still finish under my BQ time of 3:55, which would be a double bonus. Do you think the strategy of no speed work is the best plan to get me to that goal? It's kind of hard for me to think about training without speedwork.
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3 miles this morning for me so 32 for the month.

Target achieved.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    3 miles on the schedule for this evening. It's getting harder to be an evening runner these days with noticeably less daylight. One more week of base building, then I start weaving in some speedwork and tempo runs for the first time since spring.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I am sleeping so well this week, but I wake up in the morning and feel like I've been drugged. It is difficult to get out of bed. I am wondering if that is just post-race recovery. Anyone else notice this after a race?

And I thought I was over my DOMS until I went for a run. My legs were still very stiff and sore as soon as I lifted off the ground, so I took it as slow as I possibly could and threw in some walking every now and then. I'd like to try to meet my mileage goal this month, but with all those unplanned rest days and this cool, rainy weather, it's going to be a challenge.

1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)
    7: rest
    8: bailed due to rain and other lame excuses
    9: 13.12 miles (long with 12 x 1/4 mile zone 2 intervals and zone 2 finish)
    10. 2.53 miles (recovery)
    11. skipped (grumpy quad and a bad attitude)
    12. 3.42 miles (tempo)
    13. 2.85 miles (aerobic)
    14. rest
    15. 10 miles (long at different pace intervals with fast finish)
    16. 4.01 miles (aerobic)
    17. rest
    18. 2.95 miles (fast finish)
    19. 2.43 miles (aerobic)
    20. rest (bad hamstring - skipped planned run)
    21. rest (bad hamstring - skipped planned run)
    22. rest (bad hamstring - skipped planned run)
    23. 13.1 miles (Vancouver Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon: 3:01:43)
    24. rest
    25. rest
    26. rest
    27. 4 miles (recovery hobble)

exercise.png

In case ticker is being dumb: 82.16 / 100 miles
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Easy 5K today to test my legs after yesterdays hill session (and to offset overeating!). A bit stiff, though not as bad as I thought it might be - even so, was still difficult to stay at an easy pace.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    3 miles on the schedule for this evening. It's getting harder to be an evening runner these days with noticeably less daylight. One more week of base building, then I start weaving in some speedwork and tempo runs for the first time since spring.

I'm almost exclusively a night runner or, rather, an early morning runner. I haven't run in the daylight in over a month. I actually like it, being able to see the stars!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm almost exclusively a night runner or, rather, an early morning runner. I haven't run in the daylight in over a month. I actually like it, being able to see the stars!

Yep. As long as the footing is ok, I'm fine with running in the dark. And I've got a good place to run off road with predictable footing most of the time. Just never my first choice, I guess. I agree that there's some joy in seeing the stars, and nothing much beats running with my moon shadow. Lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Way to get out there @RunRachelleRun ! A slow run really will help.

Shoe/foot update

I wore my Brooks cascadia yesterday, walked a half mile further in the same amount of time, and have no foot tightness this morning.

But my achilles seems tight this morning. GAH! It must be contagious! Oh boy! Another learning opportunity! :neutral:
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I usually wear black capris or pants too lol, but I still felt as if everyone could see. Love the finish photo - your little guy is adorable. Mine is 19. I miss that age.
    @WhatMeRunning Sorry it's a struggle right now. You did make me laugh too. You're doing great and you can hold it together.
    @katharmonic and @lporter229 Love the Stellas! I wish I could join your Stella club.
    @Naija82 Thanks! Congrats on meeting your goal already, with quite a few days to spare!
    @skippygirlsmom Poor Skip. Love her attitude about it. Have you seen those gadgets at REI to help with peeing on hikes etc.? I am going to get one for hiking. Could be useful to carry in a bag for Skip:
    https://rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director
    @Elise4270 Bwahaha I agree - extra calories are needed for recovery. I tell myself this all the time!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    @Elise4270 Great work! Hope the achilles just needs a little extra stretching.

I was listening to a podcast some time ago (think it was Runner's Connect) and a PT recommended every runner rotate three pairs of shoes. The most important thing was that they all had different drops to ensure the foot/calf is always working the different muscles. Before I heard this, I thought rotation was necessary due to the foam compression.

Interesting. I've always rotated between like pairs, but this idea has some appeal.

Do you feel your gait varies depending on which shoes you are wearing? (Thinking mostly of heel strike vs mid-foot strike, I guess).
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OK, so I haven't been on a lot this week. Apparently, we have gotten into a deep discussion on eliminating bodily waste before / during / after runs.

Here are my thoughts on that: I like to drink a cup of coffee before I run. As such, I know where all the port-a-potties and bathrooms are available in my neighborhood at 5 a.m.

@RunRachelleRun and @Calvin2008Brian - Hmmm...I too have always rotated between like pairs (one type each of Asics, Saucony and Brooks). I am interested in more about this varying drop idea.
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian I do think the drop affects my gait. The Saucony's are my favourite fit due to the toe box, so I wear them for my longest runs. Technically, I am wearing them more because of this. But I think my form is the best in the Altras (definitely land more forward-mid than heel in them). I also seem to run slightly faster in them, but they don't fit the best, so I wear them for my shorter runs. Hm, after writing this, I should reconsider this strategy. The toe box is fine, but the shoe feels as if it slips a little in the heel. They also took some adjusting to. My calves always feel that they have had more of a workout after I wear them. They came with a warning paper about this in the box. You are supposed to ease into wearing the zero drop.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I need an excuse to buy more shoes!

Works for me!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @runrachellerun I have seen those. The peeing while she's running doesn't bother her anymore LOL she has also become and expert at squatting to go in the woods. She did get some poison ivy not too long ago :wink: