Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    aliem wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If it's texture then make soup and purées

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    lissmayer wrote: »
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.

Please don't be coy. It's a common insult to call vegetables "rabbit food".

It's also woefully ignorant to classify the broad array of plants together.

Spinach hardly fills the same nutritional niche as wheat.

In the same vein, you can't compare nuts and spinach either.

The church of educated people who eat keto does not believe have learned that vegetables are not necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well...

Fixed it.

It wasn't broken...most people who are in a cult don't know it...

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/5-signs-diet-diet-cult_98094

LOL yeah... That must be it. :D

Well, let's see...in a thread the other day you claimed that someone eating a high carb diet would die sooner than someone doing keto...that, despite the fact that plant based diets have shown time and time again to be among the healthiest with the greatest longevity and less instances of disease...

So you have the fear mongering part down anyway...

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.

I haven't seen a scientific consensus on animal based diets being bad, either. I just see a difference between an animal-based diet and an animal exclusive diet. With the latter being more akin to what you're advocating.

I don't think I am advocating for an animal exclusive diet. I eat vegetables and plant sourced foods, but I do want to make the point that it is a healthy choice. No mineral or nutrient appears to be lacking in such a diet. KWIM?

I think the OP would be happy to add in other foods but I just stated that she doesn't have to do so. I also suggested nuts, seeds, olive, avocado, and low GI fruits too. People just don't think animal diets are a good idea based on very little (or no) scientific basis. Just bias.

I can't find a meat source that is high in magnesium for one. Even liver fails for it which is otherwise an excellent micronutrient source. Eggs and dairy don't have much of it either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.

The church of educated people who eat keto does not believe have learned that vegetables are not necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well...

Fixed it.

Wow. Thank goodness you fixed it. I'm not that tactful sometimes.

So you also believe that veggies aren't necessary for proper nutrition then?

tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I haven't seen a scientific consensus on animal based diets being bad, either. I just see a difference between an animal-based diet and an animal exclusive diet. With the latter being more akin to what you're advocating.

I don't think I am advocating for an animal exclusive diet. I eat vegetables and plant sourced foods, but I do want to make the point that it is a healthy choice. No mineral or nutrient appears to be lacking in such a diet. KWIM?

I think the OP would be happy to add in other foods but I just stated that she doesn't have to do so. I also suggested nuts, seeds, olive, avocado, and low GI fruits too. People just don't think animal diets are a good idea based on very little (or no) scientific basis. Just bias.

To the bolded, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it CAN BE a healthy choice, if a person takes care to ensure that they are getting necessary vitamins and minerals but this takes effort? As mentioned above, one would have to be willing to eat organ meat and/or supplement pretty heavily with vitamins in order to achieve the same benefits as eating a varied diet with vegetables, fruits, and grains.

I'll go with "can be" a healthy diet. Like any diet, food can be less nutritious. If one exists on cheez whiz, bacon, and sausages, then their health could suffer. Like if a vegetarian eats mostly grains and sugars, their health may suffer.

I wouldn't say it takes effort though. Meat, eggs, and full fat dairy isn't hard to balance. Eat meat rare if worried about vitamin C. The carnivores I know do not need heavy vitamin supplementation. Some don't supplement at all.

So no on needing supplementation. It isn't required if you eat quality whole foods, as would be true of any well planned diet (excluding veganism which would need B12 supplements).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    My husband has food texture issues and can't/won't eat veggies either. Recently he's started drinking Tropicana Farmstand Tropical Green juice. One serving has the equivalent of one veggie/one fruit. It's not ideal but he can tolerate it so something is better than nothing! It's 120 calories for 8 fl oz/27 g of carbs, so I don't know if that would fit in with your woe, but it might be something to look into.

I DRINK A GREEN JUICE HANDMADE FROM sprouts, I AM IN OKLAHOMA. THE BOTTLE OF 8 OUNCES CONTAINS ONLY THE JUICES OF SPINACH, KALE, CELERY, CUCUMBER, PARSLEY AND APPLE. 30 CALORIES, NO CARBS, NO SALT, 1 GRAM PROTEIN. MOST THINGS I WOULD NOT EAT, EXCEPT SPINACH, CUKES AND APPLE, BUT LOVE ALL OF THEM TOGETHER. GREAT WAY TO GET MOST OF THE BENEFITS, W/OUT EATING ALL OF THE VEGGIES. JMO. OH AND IT DOES HAVE A FEW GRAMS OF FIBER, I THINK 3. NOTHING BUT THE JUICE, MADE DAILY OR TO ORDER!

How can you have carbohydrate-free apple juice? Apple juice is just pure carbohydrates.

@EttaMaeMartin This is very true. It may be fibre free, but juice is almost entirely carbs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF and eat veggies. In fact, early on in the transition, I ate even more veggies than I do today. The key is that there are starchy veggies (root veggies like potatoes, grains like corn, and most beans/legumes), and there are non-starchy veggies (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.). I eat LCHF by sticking with non-starchy veggies. There was a time when I would eat 1-2 salads every day (no croutons). Last night, I had a huge salad. I've got some broccoli and cauliflower in the fridge that I plan to steam soon.

Do I eat meat?! Yes, absolutely. I also eat cheese and eggs, but LCHF doesn't mean you can't eat any veggies. Depending on how low carb you want to go, you might be able to fit more veggies and perhaps even fruits. Otherwise, I end up with about 20g-30g of carbs per day and still eat a lot of salads.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Fixed it.

So, how often do you eat organ meat?

Not often. Probably every couple of weeks. Liver pate.

I do my own butchering and include some organ meat in my sausages. I suppose I get some there too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I eat LCHF and eat veggies. In fact, early on in the transition, I ate even more veggies than I do today. The key is that there are starchy veggies (root veggies like potatoes, grains like corn, and most beans/legumes), and there are non-starchy veggies (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.). I eat LCHF by sticking with non-starchy veggies. There was a time when I would eat 1-2 salads every day (no croutons). Last night, I had a huge salad. I've got some broccoli and cauliflower in the fridge that I plan to steam soon.

Do I eat meat?! Yes, absolutely. I also eat cheese and eggs, but LCHF doesn't mean you can't eat any veggies. Depending on how low carb you want to go, you might be able to fit more veggies and perhaps even fruits. Otherwise, I end up with about 20g-30g of carbs per day and still eat a lot of salads.

I'm on board with this...but there are several keto posters here who always insist that veggies just aren't important and I believe that to be very misguided and pretty crappy advice to be pedaling...

I would think you could eat a ton of veggies on a keto diet...and I'd think one should...
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Fixed it.

It wasn't broken...most people who are in a cult don't know it...

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/5-signs-diet-diet-cult_98094

LOL yeah... That must be it. :D

Well, let's see...in a thread the other day you claimed that someone eating a high carb diet would die sooner than someone doing keto...that, despite the fact that plant based diets have shown time and time again to be among the healthiest with the greatest longevity and less instances of disease...

So you have the fear mongering part down anyway...

Oh please. That's not what I said. Nicely twisted.... and completely off of the OP's topic.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Years ago i tried atkins diet, wich is LCHF, lost some weight, but because it was so restrictive i couldn't stick to it long term, ended up gaining all back plus 10 or so extra lbs. There are so many different veggies, and just as many ways to prepare them. Hope you can find something you like, because they are healthy and filling, and low calorie food. I didn't read an entire thread, but have read enough to see that you've got some great advice and ideas, good luck, op.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I can't find a meat source that is high in magnesium for one. Even liver fails for it which is otherwise an excellent micronutrient source. Eggs and dairy don't have much of it either.

Plants have more Mg. You're right.

I don't worry about it though because 1.0 I eat a lot of nuts, 2.) I live 50km from the mountains and our water is very hard, and 3.) I salt my food with a quality sea salt - I suppose you could call that supplementation if you wished.... Does it have to come from "food" to not be a supplement?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I'm on board with this...but there are several keto posters here who always insist that veggies just aren't important and I believe that to be very misguided and pretty crappy advice to be pedaling...

I would think you could eat a ton of veggies on a keto diet...and I'd think one should...

Most keto'ers do eat veggies. The vast majority do. A minority does not. It's the statement that one SHOULD eat veggies is what I am challenging. Why should one eat veggies? What is that "should" based upon?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Most keto'ers do eat veggies. The vast majority do. A minority does not. It's the statement that one SHOULD eat veggies is what I am challenging. Why should one eat veggies? What is that "should" based upon?

See above, some micronutrients being hard to get from non-plant sources. Eat a variety of whatever vegetables and you'll get enough micros, don't eat vegetables and you have to research and plan or supplement.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    OP can we go back to why you think LCHF was a good solution for you? People have asked for clarification about why you are so averse to veggies, and potential ways to work them in to your foods to help overcome your aversions. Whether you are willing to try those or not, I'm curious why you were initially leaning toward LCHF, you said moodiness because of blood sugar issues? Can you elaborate more on those? Did a doctor suggest that the moodiness was related to blood sugar spikes? Are there other symptoms? I'm moody as *kitten* sometimes, but other than thinking I might need a Snickers, I generally don't chalk it up to my blood sugar any more than other factors like hormones, stress, etc.

What does your diet currently look like? Do you eat quite a bit of fruit and grains that you would likely be giving up if you did decide to go down the LCHF path?

Folks will tell you that you can eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and nuts and be healthy, and it isn't bad for you. That may be the case, but you'd definitely need to supplement many important vitamins and minerals in order to be healthy, or eat things like organ meats which aren't typically in the normal food choices for most folks. Is that something you are interested in? Does a diet where you are even more restricted than you are today by not eating veggies sound like something that will work well for your lifestyle?

I was just reading about LCHF yesterday and thought it might be something to consider. I've had a couple of days where I get a headache and feel a little woosie (no I am not restricting too much) and I read that LCHF may help to regulate blood sugar levels.

After doing more research and taking into consideration the feedback I have received, I decided that it's not for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

The church of educated people who eat keto does not believe have learned that vegetables are not necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well..The people that believe this are lacking in essential nutrition...

Fixed it.

re-corrected
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Everyone should eat their veggies...the vast majority of people aren't going to get proper nutrition without their veggies...but you just keep telling random people here that they don't need them and that they aren't important...you don't say anything about what they need to do to actually get proper nutrition otherwise (and c'mon...most people aren't going to be eating a whole lot of organ meat)...you just keep preaching that they aren't necessary to a healthy diet...for the vast majority of people to get proper nutrition without supplements they are.

I'm pretty sure general consensus world over is that vegetables are very important to a healthy, balanced diet...just stop with your crap already.

I know you know I agree with you. I'm a firm believer in "eat your vegetables". The more, and the more varied, the better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Everyone should eat their veggies...the vast majority of people aren't going to get proper nutrition without their veggies...but you just keep telling random people here that they don't need them and that they aren't important...you don't say anything about what they need to do to actually get proper nutrition otherwise (and c'mon...most people aren't going to be eating a whole lot of organ meat)...you just keep preaching that they aren't necessary to a healthy diet...for the vast majority of people to get proper nutrition without supplements they are.

I'm pretty sure general consensus world over is that vegetables are very important to a healthy, balanced diet...just stop with your crap already.

Co-sign.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OP can we go back to why you think LCHF was a good solution for you? People have asked for clarification about why you are so averse to veggies, and potential ways to work them in to your foods to help overcome your aversions. Whether you are willing to try those or not, I'm curious why you were initially leaning toward LCHF, you said moodiness because of blood sugar issues? Can you elaborate more on those? Did a doctor suggest that the moodiness was related to blood sugar spikes? Are there other symptoms? I'm moody as *kitten* sometimes, but other than thinking I might need a Snickers, I generally don't chalk it up to my blood sugar any more than other factors like hormones, stress, etc.

What does your diet currently look like? Do you eat quite a bit of fruit and grains that you would likely be giving up if you did decide to go down the LCHF path?

Folks will tell you that you can eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and nuts and be healthy, and it isn't bad for you. That may be the case, but you'd definitely need to supplement many important vitamins and minerals in order to be healthy, or eat things like organ meats which aren't typically in the normal food choices for most folks. Is that something you are interested in? Does a diet where you are even more restricted than you are today by not eating veggies sound like something that will work well for your lifestyle?

I was just reading about LCHF yesterday and thought it might be something to consider. I've had a couple of days where I get a headache and feel a little woosie (no I am not restricting too much) and I read that LCHF may help to regulate blood sugar levels.

After doing more research and taking into consideration the feedback I have received, I decided that it's not for me.

LCHF does help regulate BG, but it doesn't sound like you are really certain what is causing your symptoms. Of course, the obvious suggestion is to see a physician. IF you have reactive hypoglycemia, then yes, LCHF will help. It doesn't sound like you know what is causing your symptoms, so it isn't clear how you can know how to treat the mystery cause.
  • LipSmackingFun
    LipSmackingFun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zoodles? Or are their any veggies you like at all? I hate them for the most part, but I can deal with carrots, asparagus and artichokes.

What's a zoodle? It"s a zucchini that is shredded into noodles. I love them instead of using spaghetti noodles.

If you purchase a veggie shredder you can shredded many veggies, cucumbers, carrots, squash, zucchini for LCHF.