You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    if food is an addiction whats the cure? dying? cant ever become sober from eating...

Not eating, specific food. Not all food. Big difference.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree, OP. Some people lack empathy and live in their own egocentric little bubble where they can't, or won't, put themselves out to help others.

I have alcoholic friends. I don't drink in front of them or serve wine if they are over. I try to not make it harder for them.

I have a son who is allergic to tree nuts. I don't add them to baking and expect him to skip it because I wanted nuts.

My in-laws are vegetarians. I don't make them eat my omnivorous low carb diet when they come over.

I'm a celiac. My sister in law doesn't put the stuffing in the turkey at thanksgiving so I can still has some. She also checks with me on ingredients and lets me bring some desserts.

I think you've basically got it right. People who make it harder for others either don't care, are oblivious, or are self centered.

Though at the same time I don't place my restrictions on everyone else. I have crohn's and have tons of food restrictions and my friends are good with making low fiber, no raw vegetables or fruit, no whole grains, no red meat, no spice, no lactose options for me but I don't make a big deal if they eat a salad and a steak at the same time even though I would kill to have either one of those.

This. Heck, I cook meat and gluten for the rest of my family.

I don't expect the world to revolve around me.

If you don't expect the world to revolve around you, then you'd agree with this original post. It's about people expecting their friends who are dieting to go out to eat or to allow fast food in their own home. Not about them expecting their friends to limit themselves when they go to their house. There's a big difference. Their home, their rules.

Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't do?

I already said they were jerks.

Still doesn't mean your friend is addicted to food.

If he was 700 pounds, I do believe he quite possibly has an eating addiction, though.

Because if it's your friend's house it's their house. Have some respect? and who are you to tell your friend they must go out for fast food or they're a jerk? That's what I'm saying. That's the point of the post.

So what now, we have agreed they are not good friends
  • Verity1111
    Options
    FYI, rat studies don't always transfer to humans.

The current standing on the addictive nature of sugar as a substance is still up in the air as far as science is concerned. Right now, as it stands, research on humans doesn't shows that there's not enough evidence to call it addictive.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6

Furthermore, a review of all the research shows that a lot of the thinking was leaning more towards people like your 700 pound friend having what could be an addiction to eating itself, and that type of addiction would be a behavioral issue like gambling or sex.

It should also be noted that in that review, very few people would qualify for this diagnosis. I'd also think that if a person is truly addicted to eating itself, the type of food wouldn't really matter. Pizza, donuts, or lentil soup... food would be food to them. I doubt that true eating addicts would be as morbidly obese as those you see on TLC shows, but they would still eat uncontrollably of whatever food they could get their hands on.

And no because my 700lb friend doesnt have an addiction to salad or hot dogs. Addiction to fast food or certain foods not to all food. Most people are not addicted to things they dont enjoy in some way.

He's not addicted to those foods. He's got a behavioral problem with food in general.

Were he to have lived in a time before fast food chains, you'd better believe he'd be chowing down on mutton stew if he had the same issue.

You're missing the point I'm making. It's not the food itself. It's the behavior.

Addictions to substances will cause the addicted person to accept a substitute that will do. Alcoholics will drink some unsavory things just to get a buzz. It has nothing to do with enjoyment. Were you friend totally addicted to fast food, he'd eat stuff he hated just to get a fix.

Okay an addiction IS a behavioral problem

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.
    "he committed the theft to finance his drug addiction"
    synonyms: dependency, dependence, habit, problem More

Can food be an addiction?
    Experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food, especially highly palatable foods. Highly palatable foods are foods rich in: Sugar. Fat.

Not eating, food. Specific foods.

Activating the reward centers is what pleasurable things do. That does not an addiction make. If that were the case, we'd all be addicted to petting puppies, stubbing our toes, and hugging our grandparents.

I researched this extensively a while back. You'll have to do a lot more than this to convince me. All the evidence I found pointed to current thinking being that a subset of people might qualify as having a behavioral addiction to eating.

No evidence exists for any food addiction at all.

They're trying to show it, but haven't yet.

It's not about activating, it is about causing them to become dependent.

"Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study."
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28/fatty.foods.brain/

"Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food" Now you can say there's not enough proof all you want, but that doesn't make it possible that it's true. So why not respect someone's life choices instead of pushing them into your own until then? People should not just assume it's impossible to be addicted if their friend specifically says they are. Just respect them enough to watch a movie or hang out and play a game or something instead of going to Burger King and expecting them to go with. Go on your own time.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Thank you! This is what I've tried saying on here many times. I hate when some people on here say "there is no bad food," "food shouldn't be vilified," "you can eat what you want in moderation so nothing should be off limits." Yeah...maybe for some people, but not all. If moderation, self control, and heathy eating habits were practiced by everyone there wouldn't be sooo many people very heavily overweight and on here looking for help. Everyone can have their opinions about food, but what I'm opposed to is the people posting on these boards who say these things and say them so matter-of-factly like anyone would be uneducated and ridiculous to think otherwise. As a fat person, let me share with you my mindset about why I deem some foods as bad. There are many things that I could not stop myself from eating only one or two of to stay under my daily calories. And I don't just want "a taste." Because for me there is no such thing. So for my diet I will avoid them all together or only have them as a treat once in a blue moon or I'll find a substitute. I don't feel like I'm refusing myself anything...before you give me that blah, blah excuse about how my diet will fail if I ban foods yadda, yadda. My dieting has been working fairly well so far and I don't feel deprived. I'm down 27 pounds since 4th of July. And I'm feeling good about it. So when people ask questions about the nutritional value or calories of one food over the other be mindful that they might not have the self control you have and don't consider every food an option for their dieting success.

Just because some people cant eat food in moderation doesn't make the food bad. I can't eat biscuits in moderation but the biscuit isn't bad it's delicious

Sorry, but you're missing my point. I'm saying that the food is bad in my mind because I can't eat it regularly or have as many as I want because it would tank my diet. I was explaining the mindset that supports some people deeming certain foods as bad. I would wager that there are many overweight people that operate with that same mindset. Again, not saying everybody.

Lots of people of all sizes share that oppinion, the problem is sharing that mindset and when someone eats the said bad food and then thinks they are doomed. You see such posts all the time which is I why I don't think labelling food like that is helpful

So you agree that many people have that mindset but calling food bad in a post on here is not helpful? If lots of people think that way, I'm just putting into words that mindset/feelings for some people about food. It sounds like it's all just a mind game. Maybe people who refuse to deem certain foods "bad" worry that allowing themselves to label foods as such might tank their diet and they will feel guilty. Idk, just a guess. Everyone has different reasons.

You should never feel guilty eating food, I just don't think it's healthy.
    If you mess up keep on going

That's very true. That's not what we mean. We just mean some people need to avoid certain foods to succeed. If they ask you kindly to keep them out of their home or to not pressure them into going out to eat, etc, you can respect that. As long as you don't live together anyway. Even if you do, they should be allowed to leave the room.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

The current standing on the addictive nature of sugar as a substance is still up in the air as far as science is concerned. Right now, as it stands, research on humans doesn't shows that there's not enough evidence to call it addictive.

Furthermore, a review of all the research shows that a lot of the thinking was leaning more towards people like your 700 pound friend having what could be an addiction to eating itself, and that type of addiction would be a behavioral issue like gambling or sex.

It should also be noted that in that review, very few people would qualify for this diagnosis. I'd also think that if a person is truly addicted to eating itself, the type of food wouldn't really matter. Pizza, donuts, or lentil soup... food would be food to them. I doubt that true eating addicts would be as morbidly obese as those you see on TLC shows, but they would still eat uncontrollably of whatever food they could get their hands on.

And no because my 700lb friend doesnt have an addiction to salad or hot dogs. Addiction to fast food or certain foods not to all food. Most people are not addicted to things they dont enjoy in some way.

He's not addicted to those foods. He's got a behavioral problem with food in general.

Were he to have lived in a time before fast food chains, you'd better believe he'd be chowing down on mutton stew if he had the same issue.

You're missing the point I'm making. It's not the food itself. It's the behavior.

Addictions to substances will cause the addicted person to accept a substitute that will do. Alcoholics will drink some unsavory things just to get a buzz. It has nothing to do with enjoyment. Were you friend totally addicted to fast food, he'd eat stuff he hated just to get a fix.

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.

Experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food, especially highly palatable foods. Highly palatable foods are foods rich in: Sugar. Fat.

Activating the reward centers is what pleasurable things do. That does not an addiction make. If that were the case, we'd all be addicted to petting puppies, stubbing our toes, and hugging our grandparents.

I researched this extensively a while back. You'll have to do a lot more than this to convince me. All the evidence I found pointed to current thinking being that a subset of people might qualify as having a behavioral addiction to eating.

"Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study."

"Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food" Now you can say there's not enough proof all you want, but that doesn't make it possible that it's true. So why not respect someone's life choices instead of pushing them into your own until then? People should not just assume it's impossible to be addicted if their friend specifically says they are. Just respect them enough to watch a movie or hang out and play a game or something instead of going to Burger King and expecting them to go with. Go on your own time.

Have you had this conversation with your friends friends
    What did they say
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Puppybear1 wrote: »
    Sugar is a drug. And just like alcoholics, some people have genetic predispositions for addiction, ie - diabetics. I have been preaching this topic for a week and fending off the shade I get for comparing sugar to drugs, but it IS a drug, or food companies wouldn't put it in practically everything! Kudos to the Enlightened!

Sugar isn't a drug. It's just sugar.

It is very similar to a drug.

If you need to cast yourself and others in the role of a victim, go right ahead. Doesn't make it the truth, though.

I could say the same about drug addicts then.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I agree, OP. Some people lack empathy and live in their own egocentric little bubble where they can't, or won't, put themselves out to help others.

I have alcoholic friends. I don't drink in front of them or serve wine if they are over. I try to not make it harder for them.

I have a son who is allergic to tree nuts. I don't add them to baking and expect him to skip it because I wanted nuts.

My in-laws are vegetarians. I don't make them eat my omnivorous low carb diet when they come over.

I'm a celiac. My sister in law doesn't put the stuffing in the turkey at thanksgiving so I can still has some. She also checks with me on ingredients and lets me bring some desserts.

I think you've basically got it right. People who make it harder for others either don't care, are oblivious, or are self centered.

Though at the same time I don't place my restrictions on everyone else. I have crohn's and have tons of food restrictions and my friends are good with making low fiber, no raw vegetables or fruit, no whole grains, no red meat, no spice, no lactose options for me but I don't make a big deal if they eat a salad and a steak at the same time even though I would kill to have either one of those.

If you don't expect the world to revolve around you, then you'd agree with this original post. It's about people expecting their friends who are dieting to go out to eat or to allow fast food in their own home. Not about them expecting their friends to limit themselves when they go to their house. There's a big difference. Their home, their rules.

If he was 700 pounds, I do believe he quite possibly has an eating addiction, though.

Because if it's your friend's house it's their house. Have some respect? and who are you to tell your friend they must go out for fast food or they're a jerk? That's what I'm saying. That's the point of the post.

So what now, we have agreed they are not good friends

Ok then why are we arguing? That was the main point. If someone can't deal, don't pressure them. lol. So I guess we're good.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is what I've tried saying on here many times. I hate when some people on here say "there is no bad food," "food shouldn't be vilified," "you can eat what you want in moderation so nothing should be off limits." Yeah...maybe for some people, but not all. If moderation, self control, and heathy eating habits were practiced by everyone there wouldn't be sooo many people very heavily overweight and on here looking for help. Everyone can have their opinions about food, but what I'm opposed to is the people posting on these boards who say these things and say them so matter-of-factly like anyone would be uneducated and ridiculous to think otherwise. As a fat person, let me share with you my mindset about why I deem some foods as bad. There are many things that I could not stop myself from eating only one or two of to stay under my daily calories. And I don't just want "a taste." Because for me there is no such thing. So for my diet I will avoid them all together or only have them as a treat once in a blue moon or I'll find a substitute. I don't feel like I'm refusing myself anything...before you give me that blah, blah excuse about how my diet will fail if I ban foods yadda, yadda. My dieting has been working fairly well so far and I don't feel deprived. I'm down 27 pounds since 4th of July. And I'm feeling good about it. So when people ask questions about the nutritional value or calories of one food over the other be mindful that they might not have the self control you have and don't consider every food an option for their dieting success.

Just because some people cant eat food in moderation doesn't make the food bad. I can't eat biscuits in moderation but the biscuit isn't bad it's delicious

Sorry, but you're missing my point. I'm saying that the food is bad in my mind because I can't eat it regularly or have as many as I want because it would tank my diet. I was explaining the mindset that supports some people deeming certain foods as bad. I would wager that there are many overweight people that operate with that same mindset. Again, not saying everybody.

Lots of people of all sizes share that oppinion, the problem is sharing that mindset and when someone eats the said bad food and then thinks they are doomed. You see such posts all the time which is I why I don't think labelling food like that is helpful

So you agree that many people have that mindset but calling food bad in a post on here is not helpful? If lots of people think that way, I'm just putting into words that mindset/feelings for some people about food. It sounds like it's all just a mind game. Maybe people who refuse to deem certain foods "bad" worry that allowing themselves to label foods as such might tank their diet and they will feel guilty. Idk, just a guess. Everyone has different reasons.

You should never feel guilty eating food, I just don't think it's healthy.
    If you mess up keep on going

I agree

• Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

That's a rat study not a human study.

That's how all studies begin. It would be possibly illegal to shock people painfully in a giant maze while they eat cheese burgers.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Puppybear1 wrote: »
    Sugar is a drug. And just like alcoholics, some people have genetic predispositions for addiction, ie - diabetics. I have been preaching this topic for a week and fending off the shade I get for comparing sugar to drugs, but it IS a drug, or food companies wouldn't put it in practically everything! Kudos to the Enlightened!

Sugar isn't a drug. It's just sugar.

It is very similar to a drug.

If you need to cast yourself and others in the role of a victim, go right ahead. Doesn't make it the truth, though.

The victim mentality is so rampant here. I saw a post here that said that they didn't lose weight because the developers of mfp removed the sliding scale from the app. I wonder what ever happened to personal responsibility.

It's sad that you think they're not victims but people with anorexia somehow are or need a doctor. So do people with food addictions. Same idea. An uncontrollable, addictive compulsion towards certain foods. They do take responsibility, but they can't do anything if you're going to continuously pressure them. Everyone has their limitations. People lose their mind and kill others so obviously if that's possible and our brains can make us black out and do something so insane they could make us not resist a burger.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

That's a rat study not a human study.

That's how all studies begin.
    Begin yes but you can't make statements saying it's addictive in humans until they actually complete many studies that indicate it.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

Have you had this conversation with your friends friends
    What did they say

Honestly? They're selfish pricks. We asked them many times and they kept doing it. Instead of just drinking before they come over or going to eat before they come over they'd bring it to his house. It was like they did it on purpose at that point. And I know people on diets who specifically say many times please don't buy me ___ and someone buys it for them for their anniversary or something. Some people maybe legitimately don't understand, but they could still respect the choice. Like don't gift them a big box of chocolate or order pizza and not tell them first. In my opinion, it's very inconsiderate if you've already been asked nicely to not do it around them. And then if they say they don't want any the gifter often get upset and guilts them into it. My dad always buys my mother cakes, for example, even if she asks him not to and then if she says she doesn't want it he gets offended. It's like he's clueless to why she doesn't want it, even if she's said it 100 times.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

If someone has friends who call them a jerk or any name for not wanting to go out for fast food, then the problem is with the persons choice of friends. I have family who ask me out to eat and when I decline and explain its because I'm dieting, They sometimes offer up "well, why don't you get something off the lite menu?" But if I decline again they respect that. I understand that they just really want me to go out with them but they might not understand how much going out to eat is a struggle for me when dieting. But no one has ever started berrating me or calling me names.