Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @elizabeth2360 great news!

I saw my Surgeon and dietician yesterday. I have been meeting with the dietician and doctors for 6 months and have completed all of my requirements to have the gastric sleeve. I had them submit the paperwork to my insurance and I will have an answer in a week and a half. Still have mixed feelings. Still scared but I can't gain back what I've already lost. I only lost 2 lbs last month. I don't trust me. I've done tons of reading. Gone to support groups and talked to people. Heard firsthand good and bad stories. I think I'm pretty well informed. I have a hard time just sitting here believing I need to do it, but I step on the scale or I see my father in the mirror and I know I have to do something outside of myself. I've had great and horrible responses from the few people I have told. That's fine, told them because I wanted them to know and I trust them enough to disagree and challenge me. I am at a point now where I may have to tell people outside of that group that I trust and I find the thought of that much more distasteful. I don't necessarily want or need their approval and opinions.
    I shared my journey here, I trusted a group of people heading the same direction to have similar feelings and fears. To have faced or considered my choice. I read pages of responses here and felt you would agree, disagree or strongly disagree with my path but it seemed like I would get to hear the arguments I'm having in my head from someone else's perspective. It wouldn't be mean or ugly, it for the most part, would be well articulated and personal. I haven't been disappointed. You have been here on good days and bad. Great weeks and the weeks that make you want to quit all this and eat ice cream. You have been a gift. I thank you all. I'm not going anywhere I just want to thank you for helping me get this far.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @pneschich I can feel the emotion in your words. It made me feel so much empathy for you. It sounds as if you have done everything you can to make a great informed decision. At the point that your mind is made up, it really doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks about your decision. You don't have to tell anyone, unless it concerns your job or someone's welfare.
    I've enjoyed your sharing of your journey here. I'm glad to be a part of your journey. I'll be one of your greatest cheerleaders, because I feel a kinship with you. My dad died of congestive heart disease at the too young age of 64. I was so angry at him for many years after his death, for not taking better care of himself, and it all revolved around diet and exercise. He refused to do either one and it took him at a time in my life when I needed him so much. His absence in our family opened up a chain of events that nearly destroyed my family and left it so broken that I'm not sure it will ever be repaired.
    The strength and influence of a father (or a mother) cannot be underestimated in the health of the family, and I know a great deal of your concern over this has been for the sake of your family. That just proves what a great husband and father you are, because of the man you are!
    Now I face the same choice my father had, do this or die of this disease. It has definitely affected my journey on weight loss to remember that it matters to other people what decisions I make. And I use those feelings of love and concern I have for my family to help me make good decisions for my health. I 100% trust your decision and I will be praying for the outcome to be exactly what you are hoping it will be!
  • 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @campfirequeen1, I have been lurking. I joined MFP at the beginning of September and this is my first experience with message boards. I have learned that I am definitely more of a reader/observer and less of a writer/poster. However, I follow the discussions eagerly and find everyone's observations very insightful. I am doing well with both weight loss and smoking cessation (yes, I have had a few cigarettes since Sept 10th, but VERY few in 7 weeks). My official weekly weigh-in is Monday, but as of today, I've lost 22 lbs since August 29th, and another 1/2 pound will take me from Class III obesity to Class II - my second "mini-goal". By the way, it was this group that suggested using small interim goals when working towards a 100+ pound overall goal - THANKS!

I'm an Excel enthusiast, so I'm tracking/projecting my weight loss journey there. Here's a picture of status as of 10/24 (yellow dot represents achievement of 1st interim goal of 5% body weight loss), and trend is projected at 1.5 pounds per week).

hvq1cdfyqv31.png

Have a great weekend, and thank you for sharing,
    Kathleen
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    @pneschich ... Thanks for your kind words to the group of people on this thread who have been your virtual support team. I want to 'ditto' campfirequeen1's statement ... "At the point that your mind is made up, it really doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks about your decision. You don't have to tell anyone, unless it concerns your job or someone's welfare." ... the woman I worked with before I retired who had weight reduction surgery didn't tell most people and it's not 'politically correct' to question why someone is taking a medical leave except to wish them speedy and complete recovery. So don't feel pressured to share if you don't want to.

I am still not clear if I will eventually do the same ... my deadline to myself is my 72nd birthday to see that I can do this on my own and maintain and if not, then I'll be talking to my doctor about this very possiblitly for myself. But first, I have to give myself the chance to prove to myself one way or the other.

@320sycamore ...so congratulations on giving up the smokes. That is what keeps driving me in trying to beat the battle of my bulges ... I was able to quit smoking and have kept away from it for the past 26 years ... of course, it took me 10 years of trying to quit my Marlboro's. Every November smoke-enders day I would start again with another attempt and more changes in habits until I was finally able to do it. If I can quit smoking, I can learn to eat differently and be more active to have a healthier life and lifestyle (or so I say to myself:) )

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone ... Check-in day is Monday.
    Niki
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @320sycamore Kathleen I love that profile picture, it's just so stinking cute! I know you tell me that your replies seem trite, yada yada but see you just proved yourself WRONG! That was one amazing post you made! And I love the excel spread sheet! I need one of those!!! I've never been an expert with excel, I learned enough to do what I had to as a Clinical Trials Coordinator, but I haven't used one like that in like three years now. I'm not sure I could still do it! Everyone needs encouragement and I believe we need yours from time to time. OK not everyday, I know you are busy and don't consider yourself a writer, but we need to hear from you!! Really! B)
  • kayfhoward1
    kayfhoward1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hope everyone is having a fantabulous weekend! Been out of touch for a bit so thought I'd check in.

I'm still faithfully walking (though I have added some other routines as well). I took a different part of the trails today and thought I'd share.

I learned some things as well as was reminded of some things that I already knew. 1. The unpaved path is a better workout, offering more resistance and changes in terrain. 2. Feral hogs usually are just as wary of you as you are of them and will give you a warning snarfle to let you know they're there. 3. We have feral hogs in Nacogdoches (see no. 2). 4. North loop and university is rife with grassburs (again see no. 2). 5. 4 miles seems like much farther given the different terrain.

All in all a very good walk
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    The weather was beautiful here today--I think we reached 70 degrees! Since it was so nice, I decided to skip the gym and rake the leaves instead. I only got half the front lawn done, but worked up quite a sweat doing so.

Tomorrow I plan to hit the gym and get the rest of my grading done. Right now I'm watching my Cubbies who are down 3 runs. :angry:

Tuesday Goals:
    1. Switch out the rest of my summer wardrobe to winter clothes. DONE
    2. Clean the fish tank.
    3. Drop off bag at good will.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/2 letters of recommendation
    2. 20/40 AP essays

You vs Year Challenge:
    280 k done/ 720 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE (yucky weather) + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- rest day (meeting) short walk w/ gunner DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE cleaned bathroom and raked leaves instead
  • jessesmom81
    jessesmom81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello. Trying to start AGAIN and need all the help I can get to stay on track :)
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Welcome @jessesmom81 this is a good place to get lots of encouragement and tips! And hey, "AGAIN" applies to many of us!
    @skinnyjeanzbound I love raking leaves, but my allergies just don't allow me to do that. I went to a Halloween party last night that was outside, and I'm paying for it today with all the allergy symptoms living LARGE. It was worth it I guess. It sure was fun to see all the kiddos having safe fun. The home was decorated to the hilt inside and out, and it was a warm perfect evening to be out by the firepit or sitting on the terrace. Leaf raking would be so much better for me though, cause I need the calorie burn and sitting doesn't do much for that!
    @kayfhoward1 Good to see you checking in! And that walk, wow sounds like it was an adventure!
  • jessesmom81
    jessesmom81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I need the encouragement. I am 62 with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease and acid reflux ( I think that's all...lol). I have had one knee totally replaced and need to have the other one done. I really need to lose the extra weight for my health. It is hard for me to walk sometimes but a friend is going with me to the track to try waking some tomorrow. I weigh 276 pounds (down from 342) and I know that is really bad for me. I try not to look at the big picture. Just try to get under a 5 or 0 (under 275 then under 270) at a time. I know that sounds strange but it makes me feel like I have made progress. Good luck to everyone :)
  • 320sycamore
    Options
    @jessesmom81, every time you pass a 5 or 0 you HAVE made progress, and you've already lost 66 pounds - sounds not strange at all but a cause for celebration. How about swimming (or treading water) instead of walking - it would be much easier on your knee(s). FYI, I have over 100 pounds to get to the high end of my healthy weight, so I know all about bathing suit issues.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the encouraging words!
    @skinnyjean -- Cubs fan here!
    @Pneschich-- I think it sounds like you have made an informed decision. You got this.
    320sycamore Welcome!
    @jessesmom welcome back

Today has been a good day! Feeling like my normal self!
    Made for dinner tonight my first locatb meatloaf. Turned out good Everyone like it too. Help me satisfied my wanting comfort foods and stay on my eating plan.

Tomorrow going to the Y hoping to go around the track at least 2 times.

Wishing everyone a good night!
    Liz
    Idaho
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Monday check in. Just left the eye doctors, I have an infection of the white of my eye and the muscle. It's a bit painful.
    Since my decision on Friday I haven't been very motivated. Grocery shopping and prep yesterday with a sore eye was depressing. I made a pulled pork in the crock pot. I defatted a already lean tenderloin added some chile seasoned tomatoes and 8 oz of a medium hot salsa, paprika, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper and had it on a tortilla with cabbage sour cream and guacamole. It was yummy.
    The decision has left me feeling kind of empty. Kind of focus less. Waiting for approval and then surgery for the holidays. Going to be a strange new year.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Monday Check in ... Wow, I feel so blah today! I wonder if it has anything to do with my less than stellar food choices over the weekend or if it's that my asthma is acting up and I am low on oxygen? (which I am based on my peak flow meter reading) Maybe a bit of both? All I know is I have absolutely no energy today and want very much to take a nap. There's a long list of tasks to be done, so I am fighting the inclination, but not getting very far on my to-do list either.

My weight has stayed the same over last week.
    So far, in one of my challenge groups, 20 people have weighed in for this week, and half have gained weight this week, and several stayed the same ... so I think there must be something about the weather changing that is making it harder for everyone to stay on track with reducing the load.

@pneschich - what will be, will be ... use the time before now and the surgery to finalize your thoughts and ready yourself for your lifestyle change after the surgery. It's probably not unusual, even normal, to feel spent after wrestling with a hard decision and you still need to get the approval ... but I'll just advise this one thing that my mom said to me one time, over 50 years ago, when I wrestled with a hard life-changing decision .... she said " you can back away until the the moment you say 'I do'." ... don't forget that!

• 320sycamore
    Options
    Monday Check In: I hit my 2nd interim goal today and am now officially Class II obese. If you had told me 20 years ago I would be celebrating that fact I would have laughed in your face, but there it is. My 3rd interim goal is just a measly 7.5 pounds away, at which point I will have lost 30 pounds (10% of my starting weight of 292).

@pneschich, I can't top @nikion901's mother's advice, but I agree that I think you should allow yourself a little time to simply live with the decision you struggled with for such a long time. You did your shopping, prep and cooking yesterday even when you weren't motivated/excited about it, and that deserves way more kudo's than sticking with the plan when it's easy!
  • Elizabeth2360
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Monday check in!
    Food is going ok. Was able to make it to the Y managed 3x (12x would be a mile). So a drop in the bucket. But hey it's a start.
    Going back tomorrow and do the same maybe be able to go for 4.

Trying to use my time off to food prep for the week once to make it easier the rest of the week. I like to cook but right now trying to stay out of the kitchen.

Hope you have a nice Monday
    Liz
    Idaho
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Happy Halloween!!
    Had a restful weekend catching up with chores and grading. Got all of my quarter grades done, but have some new stuff I will add to the list tomorrow. I want just one day of feeling "caught up."

Monday check-in:
    Weight is staying the same, but that's actually fortunate considering I haven't been logging or getting much exercise the past few weeks. I finally made it back to the gym Sunday though, and it felt great. Only ran a mile, but managed to complete it in 11 minutes, so not too much damage done from the 3-week hiatus. I have a turkey trot coming up on Thanksgiving, so I really need to buckle down and get back into a running routine.

In addition, my Amazing Race challenge requires we stay under calorie 5 days this week, so that will force me back to logging starting tomorrow. I couldn't log today even if I wanted to b/c I have not kept track of the candy I've been munching on all day. Tomorrow most of the leftovers will go to school for my students (lucky kids!) and the little bit we've kept will have to fit my calorie allowance if I want a treat.

Hope everyone's week is off to great start, and welcome to the newlings!!

Tuesday Goals:
    1. Clean the fish tank.
    2. Drop off bag at good will.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/2 letters of recommendation
    2. 40/40 AP essays DONE

You vs Year Challenge:
    282 k done/ 718 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner + rake leaves
    Thurs-- rest day (parent/teacher conferences)
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • Aria603
    Aria603 Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

New here...a little over a month into my 150+ weight loss journey and down 16 lbs.

Monday check in --- I made this really good recipe for my family on Sunday which is angel hair pasta in a cajun cream sauce with sausage...STRUGGLE...not eating the entire left over container of it. But I just had my salad and pork for dinner, so I'm brushing my teeth and heading to bed.

Looking forward to meeting some new people on this thread B)
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,880 Member
    Options
    Hi @Aria603 We are the same age and about the same weight. You are totally rockin' this weight loss thing! How do you do it? You are incredible!
  • Elizabeth2360
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Monday check in!
    Go to the YMCA 3 x this week
    Try to make a new recipe something healthy for my family!

Enjoying a beautiful day for November 1st!
    Hope you all have a great day
    Liz
    Idaho