Finding it hard to reach calorie goal?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @edena001 The advise I have is that you set your food diary to be view-able by the public. More advise I have is that you disclose the brand and model name of the food scale you use. My last bit of advice is that you answer the questions regarding your weight and height. How much do you weigh today? How tall are you today?

Many of us are able and willing to help with good advice about your food, but we need to know how tall you are, how much you weigh, and how much we can trust that you are accurately weighing and logging your food.

I have answered the weight and height before, very beginning, must have got lost.
    12st 10 height 5ft 6.
    Scale is just a digital Amir?
    I weigh or measure everything, if I am unsure on something then I'll over estimate it to make sure it's covered. Measure everything, even spices etc
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    @edena001 The advise I have is that you set your food diary to be view-able by the public. More advise I have is that you disclose the brand and model name of the food scale you use. My last bit of advice is that you answer the questions regarding your weight and height. How much do you weigh today? How tall are you today?

Many of us are able and willing to help with good advice about your food, but we need to know how tall you are, how much you weigh, and how much we can trust that you are accurately weighing and logging your food.

I have answered the weight and height before, very beginning, must have got lost.
    12st 10 height 5ft 6.
    I weigh or measure everything, if I am unsure on something then I'll over estimate it to make sure it's covered. Measure everything, even spices etc

Last stab...

can you open your diary? There are plenty of us here on line that can take a look and give you honest and good sound advice that can help you...
  • edena001
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Edena, it seems you have a lot of disordered thoughts about your eating. I'd suggest talking to your PCP.

What is PCP? Only version of them words is a horse drug so I'm assuming that's not it

My guess would be Primary Care Physician.

Would that be GP in the UK? If so diet is not something they would even accept an appointment for.

Not a doctor just for your diet, but to discuss you over all health, what is happening with you as far as you not being hungry and not being able to eat more, perhaps rule out a medical issue that might be happening.. I thought yesterday that you might have something medically causing this, or beginning of a medical condition, you are under eating, it is possible.. Blood work might show some ab normal ranges...

And disordered thinking is something to consider and yes your doctor can help or refer you to another doctor that specializes in this..

I think it comes down to before, when I was gaining weight and in the times I actually cooked meals, I was eating very little, but drinking thousands of calories. Now I'm not drinking them calories it takes it well down so I'm just going to have to teach myself to eat more. I never did eat a lot growing up when it came to home cooked meals.

You are dancing around everyone tonight.. you are not answering any ones questions etc... :)

That's kind of been their mo for a couple of days. Feels like I'm wasting my time trying to help. Best of luck to those of you who keep trying :flowerforyou:

There was no question....

Here's the one I asked a little while ago:
    Have you had a chance to incorporate any more calories in the last couple of days? How's it going?

Others have been asked and gone unanswered upthread.

I didn't see that - there's a lot of posts and some things get lost.

Yeah, had honey and mustard on my chicken which added a good 100 calories or so and got some other little things to try and eat
  • edena001
    Options

12st 10 height 5ft 6.

Last stab...

can you open your diary? There are plenty of us here on line that can take a look and give you honest and good sound advice that can help you...

Done x
  • RoxieDawn
    edited November 2016
    Options

12st 10 height 5ft 6.

Last stab...

Done x

Its still closed..

via web: Home/Settings/Diary Settings

Phone: Settings / Sharing & Privacy
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

12st 10 height 5ft 6.

Last stab...

Done x

Not open
  • edena001
    Options

12st 10 height 5ft 6.

Last stab...

Done x

Its still closed..

It shouldn't be ?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

12st 10 height 5ft 6.

Last stab...

Done x

Its still closed..

It shouldn't be ?

It is now.. must have taken a second.. standby.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This is kinda a random review

You ate very well yesterday.. that's a plus.. The days before October 31 are very very low and honestly I am not sure what is keeping you so full..

There questions about the entries I see as examples to point out?

1) Homemade sweet potato fries: Are you weighing the sweet potato, and putting the weight of potato and anything you add to it in the recipe builder? This seems to be the same size potato or exact 1/2 or exact 1/4 on (same weight potatoe) each entry?

2) Grilled Chicken, are you weighing exactly 3 ounces and 4 ounces of chicken?

3) Cooked Ham slice - 1 slice, are you weighing?

4) Cheddar Cheese 1 ounce - are you weighing?

5) Greggs Chicken Mayo - entered 200 calories (there are no macros.. seems entry is incorrect) you use this entry often

6) Burgers 1 burger - is this homemade? Are you weighing the meat, bun, all the fixing and putting it in the recipe builder? Is this a correct entry?

7) Bacon slices 2 slices not weighed

8) Tesco Ham & Egg sandwich is this a package food, or recipe you built?

9) Frozen Yogurt (measured in cups)

10) Strawberries same entry/weight used different days 40 grams, use over and over on diary entry

Etc Etc.. these are just examples I wrote down, there is more.

Many things questionable on your logging. calorie days are anywhere between 768, 596, 878 calorie days..
    hard to tell why you are not able to eat more with the types of food you have logged..

Now as far as the kit kats, you know you could eat two of those and put 200+ calories on your day, easy peasy..

You eat at McDonald's, why not add something to that when you eat out or eat two of the burgers?

And you are drinking some calories.. I know you said you were not wanting fizzy drinks, but you are drinking them...

I do believe than some of these lower calorie days are higher in calories than what you logged, but this does not explain why you are targeting low calories in the first place..

Help me understand what is going on and what is happening and why you are struggling?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    After four pages of this, OP: Why not simply add in a bit of the foods that made you overweight in the first place? Surely you know what they are and you obviously liked them or you wouldn't have eaten them in the first place.

Not certain why this is all so complicated.

My theory is that some people think that if they incorporate the foods they used to eat that made them gain weight, then they will quickly regain everything they have lost. It doesn't seem to occur to them to just eat less of those foods. It's and ALL or NOTHING mindset.

As been stated on this post by a couple of people, they had extra weight to lose because they can't just have a 'little' yes it's to do with will power and you can't just gain will power.
    So for some people, like me it's finding alternative which won't make us want to binge, but still help us reach the calorie goal. The suggestions that have been linked from another thread are full of things people never ate anyway, so are better alternatives than something they're used to binging on.

Fair call. There are certain things i no longer eat because i have zero self control/willpower around them. But these are only maybe 2-3 items, it's not absolutely every single food available that i have issues with...
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I ran your stats and your BMR is approx 1600, The sedentary TDEE (no exercise) is 1921 and about 200 more for 1-3 hours of exercise..

You are eating very very unhealthy amounts of calories for someone with a BMR of 1600. I do not want to stick my neck out and say you have an eating disorder, but you are borderline ED but definitely have disordered thinking. If you are catching this early, you can turn this around very quickly and no damage or harm to yourself.

But before I go down that route, just tell us why you are struggling so much to eat? I am a little worried now..

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I see your diary. I have a question about this entry: "Homemade - Sweet Potato Fries, 1 potato (6.34oz) 103 calories". I've seen and eaten many sweet potatoes in my life, and I know that they come in a wide range of sizes. If you did indeed consume 6.34 oz of raw sweet potato that was then fried, or if you did indeed consume 6.34 oz of fried sweet potato, either way, I am highly skeptical that you got only 103 calories from it. The value of calories in 6.34 oz raw sweet potato is 155 calories. The process of frying them adds oil and raises the calorie value and increases the weight. You may well be getting over 200 calories from 6.34 oz of fried sweet potato.

Honey is a highly viscous liquid. Did you have a well-mounded measuring tablespoon filled with honey? If so, you had more calories by close to 2x of what you find listed on the nutrition facts for honey. Did you, instead, invert the bottle and squeeze the honey 'just so' before stopping? If so, you have no idea how much honey you used. Perhaps it was much more and perhaps much less than 1 tablespoon. You have a digital scale. Put your plate or bowl on the scale, zero the scale, then add 15 grams of honey. That is 1 tablespoon. Use the website www.convertunits.com to find the gram equivalent of imperial units and weigh happily ever after.

I am inclined to believe that you are consuming close to 1200 calories already based on my suspicions of inaccurate logging.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list Is very useful even in Great Britain. Learn to be persnickety with measuring and logging and you'll find it very easy to answer your initial question.
  • edena001
    Options

1) Homemade sweet potato fries: Are you weighing the sweet potato, and putting the weight of potato and anything you add to it in the recipe builder? This seems to be the same size potato or exact 1/2 or exact 1/4 on (same weight potatoe) each entry?
    They're something I made in bulk to cook each day, I haven't weighed these just put in roughly, because I couldn't find an entry that wasn't just by the potato. I have however over estimated on these as I'm not sure (I'm not a big fries person so they're low)

Yeah weighing
    Didn't weigh the slice but the entry was the same as the packaging.

Yes!
    5) Greggs Chicken Mayo - entered 200 calories (there are no macros.. seems entry is incorrect) you use this entry often
    The entry was the only option, and when I googled only mfp came up. Don't usually have these often, but I was away for the weekend so they probably won't pop up for a while anyway! Thanks for pointing out that issue though.

6) Burgers 1 burger - is this homemade? Are you weighing the meat, bun, all the fixing and putting it in the recipe builder? Is this a correct entry?
    Wasn't home made, went off the calories in the menu.
    Didn't know slices had to be weighed again, I'll start weighing pre sliced things too
    It was a package
    This was a complete estimate as it was from one of those shops and I had no way to weigh or measure it! Was the smallest one they had, only half full as it was already cold that day
    10) Strawberries same entry/weight used different days 40 grams, use over and over on diary entry
    These are strawberry yogurt things, so they are the same weight etc. Grab and go things.

hard to tell why you are not able to eat more with the types of food you have logged..
    - I've always been a small eater I'm trying to eat more lol
    - kit kats, added them in after posting this to add up the calories
    - McDonald's, this fills me up super quick, more than usual, I can only manage a double cheeseburger at most when there, don't eat the fries either!

And you are drinking some calories.. I know you said you were not wanting fizzy drinks, but you are drinking them...
    Yeah I'm drinking wayyyyyyyyyy less. When I started again I was drinking the cans of Coke as I had a box and just wanted to get rid of them and not waste them. Been limiting how many I have, but again added them in after this post (and also as my dinner yesterday was a meal deal so I got a drink!)

I don't believe even if I made a few mistakes that would add up to another 700 a day, nobody could go that wrong! I even add in every spice I use etc!

I'm not sure of the problem- I just feel full for example, food wise my eating before would be
    Same sandwich I do now for lunch, and a noodle /pasta thing for dinner. Then probably 500 at most worth of chocolatey stuff. Then the rest came from drinks.
    So in terms of quantity I wasn't eating that much anyway. So I'm eating more in terms of quantity and nutrition even when I'm eating little ?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary, and noticed there are many suspect entries. For example, you have a chicken mayo bacon sandwich which has none of the macros entered. Ensure that the items you chose are accurate. This will help you track your hunger/satiety. Additionally, you have no idea if your nutrition is balanced when entries are incomplete (and on those low cal days, you aren't getting balanced nutrition anyway). The other point about these types of entries is that if the other data is missing, I suspect that the calories are off as well.
  • edena001
    Options
    I see your diary. I have a question about this entry: "Homemade - Sweet Potato Fries, 1 potato (6.34oz) 103 calories". I've seen and eaten many sweet potatoes in my life, and I know that they come in a wide range of sizes. If you did indeed consume 6.34 oz of raw sweet potato that was then fried, or if you did indeed consume 6.34 oz of fried sweet potato, either way, I am highly skeptical that you got only 103 calories from it. The value of calories in 6.34 oz raw sweet potato is 155 calories. The process of frying them adds oil and raises the calorie value and increases the weight. You may well be getting over 200 calories from 6.34 oz of fried sweet potato.

Honey is a highly viscous liquid. Did you have a well-mounded measuring tablespoon filled with honey? If so, you had more calories by close to 2x of what you find listed on the nutrition facts for honey. Did you, instead, invert the bottle and squeeze the honey 'just so' before stopping? If so, you have no idea how much honey you used. Perhaps it was much more and perhaps much less than 1 tablespoon. You have a digital scale. Put your plate or bowl on the scale, zero the scale, then add 15 grams of honey. That is 1 tablespoon. Use the website www.convertunits.com to find the gram equivalent of imperial units and weigh happily ever after.

I am inclined to believe that you are consuming close to 1200 calories already based on my suspicions of inaccurate logging.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list Is very useful even in Great Britain. Learn to be persnickety with measuring and logging and you'll find it very easy to answer your initial question.

Never fry potatoes! Always oven, covered in the noted measure of oil! And as stated I have very little fries as I'm not a fry person and I'm only just trying out the sweet potatoes!
    As to the honey, I put in one and a half teaspoons with the mustard to make my topping, I didn't use all of it as only a small amount is needed, but I put in a tablespoon anyway (probably double what I actually used, as I've said, when in doubt I over estimate.

I have been measuring everything accurately e.g. Chicken and tablespoons, the only thing I haven't been specific about is the sweet potato fries as I didn't know you could put in a potato weight not the amount of potatoes. However even if I was off on that, it still wouldn't equal the extra couple hundred every day,
  • RoxieDawn
    edited November 2016
    Options

They're something I made in bulk to cook each day, I haven't weighed these just put in roughly, because I couldn't find an entry that wasn't just by the potato. I have however over estimated on these as I'm not sure (I'm not a big fries person so they're low)

Yeah weighing
    Didn't weigh the slice but the entry was the same as the packaging.

Yes!
    The entry was the only option, and when I googled only mfp came up. Don't usually have these often, but I was away for the weekend so they probably won't pop up for a while anyway! Thanks for pointing out that issue though.

Wasn't home made, went off the calories in the menu.
    Didn't know slices had to be weighed again, I'll start weighing pre sliced things too
    It was a package
    This was a complete estimate as it was from one of those shops and I had no way to weigh or measure it! Was the smallest one they had, only half full as it was already cold that day
    These are strawberry yogurt things, so they are the same weight etc. Grab and go things.

- I've always been a small eater I'm trying to eat more lol
    - kit kats, added them in after posting this to add up the calories
    - McDonald's, this fills me up super quick, more than usual, I can only manage a double cheeseburger at most when there, don't eat the fries either!

Yeah I'm drinking wayyyyyyyyyy less. When I started again I was drinking the cans of Coke as I had a box and just wanted to get rid of them and not waste them. Been limiting how many I have, but again added them in after this post (and also as my dinner yesterday was a meal deal so I got a drink!)

I don't believe even if I made a few mistakes that would add up to another 700 a day, nobody could go that wrong! I even add in every spice I use etc!

I'm not sure of the problem- I just feel full for example, food wise my eating before would be
    Same sandwich I do now for lunch, and a noodle /pasta thing for dinner. Then probably 500 at most worth of chocolatey stuff. Then the rest came from drinks.
    So in terms of quantity I wasn't eating that much anyway. So I'm eating more in terms of quantity and nutrition even when I'm eating little ?

I am going to say this and exist this thread, and in all sincerity and concern for you (and I do not even know you) there is an obvious struggle, I am not here to finger point or make you feel bad.

With me having some first hand personal knowledge of this myself.. I know you will work all of this out, you would not have posted this thread if you were not trying to work on this internally and externally. And to be honest working this out in the confines of an open and public forum is not going help you solve this, hopefully others can help you with tips and tricks and the like that can help you eat more in the meantime.. Hopefully you will have more eating days like you had yesterday.. Good Luck. :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I can't find that particular sandwich on there, but Greggs have a nutrition sheet here https://greggs.co.uk/nutrition if ever you need it again. I found a chicken and bacon toastie, but that included cheese (and is 277 kcals).

The sweet potato entry that you use is in the database, did you add it there for everyone to use? The reason I'm asking is that many of the entries in the database are incorrect for various reasons, you're better off adding it yourself and not sharing it (if you share it, other people can change it and you may not realise they've done it).

You'll have a much better idea of how many calories you're ingesting if you weigh everything, including single serve and packaged items. Use the nutritional data per 100g on the package or the restaurant/cafe's website, rather than database entries, and don't trust that the weight on the pack is the weight of the contents.