14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP, it can be difficult to be assertive with doctors and even receptionists. I've been there, and it's scary! But you just need to explain to them that you are genuinely worried and have lost a lot of weight without changing your diet. I am sure they will try and fit you in if you tell them that.

• rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most city centres have a walk in centre wether its in boots or at a hospital. I turned up last week at a gp surgery with no appointment at 8am when it opened and was seen by a doctor. Do you know why I was seen after turning up and speaking to reception my situation was deemed serious enough to be seen by a go. You don't have a car get the bus. Until you deem your situation as serious and want to get help you will not take the necessary step to do so. Please listen to the people trying to make you realise you need to get check out by a doctor

Only you can help your self
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Enough with the endless excuses about needing appointments, forgetting to call, doctors not being able to see you, not having anybody to drive you to a clinic, etc etc etc.

Call your local emergency number (is it 999 in the UK?) and tell them you need to go to the hospital.

I'm not someone to advocate calling emergency numbers for something that should be a non-emergency. But since your condition (whether it be medical or psychological) is potentially life threatening, and since for whatever reason you're unable to figure out how to get help the traditional way I'd argue that a call to 999 (911 in the US) is warranted. They come to your house, take you to the hospital by ambulance, and you won't leave until you have been seen by a doctor. They will keep you until they figure out what is going on, or at least refer you to someone who can help you.

If you truly want help, then make the call (or have your parents make it for you).
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you had always been this weight....then it could be that you are naturally a very slim person and your body is used to it. But you are saying that you haven't been this weight and have lost weight over a very short period of time without trying or any noticeable change to diet. That can be a symptom of some very scary illnesses so you really do need to have some tests done.

Seriously, talk to your mum. Say you have lost this amount of weight and your BMI is now much lower and you think you should see a doctor. Hopefully she'll take some action.
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Good you've spoken to them. But what I don't understand is when you ring the GP, and they don't give you an appointment that day because they're full, why you can't book an appointment for a few days or even a week's time. Have you tried asking them for this? Because even if it is for a couple of weeks time at least you'll have it there in the diary.

Call in the morning, ask to see a doctor as soon as possible. As soon as they can fit you in. They may tell you not today, but they will absolutely be able to book you in another day. It doesn't need to be your own GP.

Yeah they just say there's no appointments today call again tomorrow

They are telling you there are no appointments TODAY, not ever. Speak to them tomorrow and ask for an appointment in the future. Ask for next week, the week after, whenever they can fit you in. Because every single GP surgery I have ever been near will be able to make you an appointment for a date in the future that isn't the same day. Same day appointments are like gold dust, appointments booked in advance for next week? Much easier.

The way they talk on the phone I didn't know you could book appointments for other days than what you were ringing from

You look very young so it is difficult to be assertive on the phone. I know it's afternoon now but ring up and ask if they have any cancellations. If they say no, just say it's quite an urgent matter and you need to see a doctor and ask what they suggest. Tell them you have phoned up for a few mornings with no luck but you need to see a doctor even if it's a few days away.

Some receptionist in doctors can be quite abrupt but this is our NHS service and you are fully entitled to an appointment with a doctor so just tell them you really need to see a GP so they need to give you a time they can fit you in.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Thanks, I don't thin we have a 111 equivalent, we do have Telehealth, which is a 24/7 line staffed by nurses that just tell you to go to the emergency room if you are having trouble.
  • Eleniala
    Options

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Enough with the endless excuses about needing appointments, forgetting to call, doctors not being able to see you, not having anybody to drive you to a clinic, etc etc etc.

Call your local emergency number (is it 999 in the UK?) and tell them you need to go to the hospital.

I'm not someone to advocate calling emergency numbers for something that should be a non-emergency. But since your condition (whether it be medical or psychological) is potentially life threatening, and since for whatever reason you're unable to figure out how to get help the traditional way I'd argue that a call to 999 (911 in the US) is warranted. They come to your house, take you to the hospital by ambulance, and you won't leave until you have been seen by a doctor. They will keep you until they figure out what is going on, or at least refer you to someone who can help you.

If you truly want help, then make the call (or have your parents make it for you).

this is terrible advice. if OP is so fearful for his health (which he obviously isnt) he could go to A&E, but to call an ambulance would be ridiculous when OP hasnt actually really tried to get a doctors appointment

I generally agree. And like I said, I'm not one to advocate calling 999 willy nilly. But I'm starting to think that OP's problems are primarily of a psychological nature and he needs to be evaluated. He'll just keep making excuses and never accomplish anything. If he can't handle his own health, then someone needs to handle it for him. Apparently someone needs to "take charge", and a call to 999 will accomplish that.

Then again, this whole thread reeks of someone just desperate for attention, and he sure has been getting tons of that. I gave him a simple solution to all his (real, perceived and imagined) problems. If pushing three buttons on a phone is too much effort for him then obviously he doesn't want help...but our attention.

encouraging him to dial 999 is just encouraging him to seek attention from another source....
  • Eleniala
    Options

this is terrible advice. if OP is so fearful for his health (which he obviously isnt) he could go to A&E, but to call an ambulance would be ridiculous when OP hasnt actually really tried to get a doctors appointment

I generally agree. And like I said, I'm not one to advocate calling 999 willy nilly. But I'm starting to think that OP's problems are primarily of a psychological nature and he needs to be evaluated. He'll just keep making excuses and never accomplish anything. If he can't handle his own health, then someone needs to handle it for him. Apparently someone needs to "take charge", and a call to 999 will accomplish that.

Then again, this whole thread reeks of someone just desperate for attention, and he sure has been getting tons of that. I gave him a simple solution to all his (real, perceived and imagined) problems. If pushing three buttons on a phone is too much effort for him then obviously he doesn't want help...but our attention.

encouraging him to dial 999 is just encouraging him to seek attention from another source....

I agree.

But maybe a psych eval will help with that too...

• witchy_wife
    Options

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

In the UK 999 is for all types of emergencies. Like you say, fire, ambulance, police, coast guard etc. However dialling 999 for a medical emergency is only for serious illness / accidents. So really if someone needs an ambulance. While the OP has what seems like a serious need to see a medical professional.....he doesn't (yet!) require an ambulance. With a little effort he will get an appointment to see a GP. Dialling 111 means you will be able to speak to a specially trained person who can assess your needs and direct you from there. They could make him an appointment as a drop in centre where you can see a GP and they can also refer him to A&E if they felt it was required.

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just ask for an emergency appointment. If the receptionist tries to get you to explain why, tries to talk you out of it, whatever, ignore. Just keep pushing for an emergency appt. Simples. It's either that or continue on with potentially dangerous health issues, so.

Everyone here is trying to help as much as possible but if you're not going to look after yourself we can't hold your hand...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Don't call 999. This is a bad idea. (In the UK 999 is strictly for life threatening cases and they constantly remind us about that with all sorts of billboards.)
    Like I said before go to the surgery at 8:25 and talk to the receptionist as soon as they open the door.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    999 is not appropriate and to advise calling this for a psych evaluation clearly shows a complete misunderstanding of both mental illness and mental health provisions in the UK. He is not an imminent danger to his own life (no, being underweight but otherwise currently fit and healthy physically doesn't qualify) or others lives. As in, he's not suicidal or homicidal. The 999 operator would justifiably tell OP to call his own doctor or 111.

111 is a 24/7 helpline to help you assess whether you actually need an ambulance or can go to your pharmacy or doctor instead.

I understand the frustration from people here but let's not get hysterical.