Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oddly the most annoying weight loss advice I got turned out to be true:). It only annoyed me because I had to let go of everything I thought I knew about weight loss.

ETA - I'm not always right :( even if I think I am.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    TaraTall wrote: »
    heidio2 wrote: »
    getting testing for Celiac Disease and my dr. keeps telling me there's gluten free beer. Gag… Thanks for looking out for my alcohol needs hon. I got that covered. :smile:

I miss real beer. Drink all the beers right now lol.
    There IS GF beer - some are okay but frig, I miss a good crown float. Or going to share a pitcher with the team "thanks, I'll have a vodka"

Bad advice for me was GF related too. are you SURE you're celiac? Um yes. The plethora of tests I had should ease my mind. I don't go for barium enemas and endoscopies for FUN, jerkwads.

Is whisky off the table too? I would be so sad without beer or whisky...

From what I have read whisky is fine because of the distillation process. But I have not tried it yet since I found out. Any other celiac people drink it?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    my all time favorite "advice": you can't be a vegetarian - you will get scurvy

Because as a vegetarian you can't eat citrus?
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    People tell me all the time that I don't need to lose anymore weight. I'm so sick of hearing it. I just hit a "healthy" bmi weight, but my body fat % is still high. The worst part is, all the fat I have left is in the most unhealthy location, my gut. I never get this kind of negativity from fit/active peopel. Coincidence? I think not. Why do people who understand what it's like to be fat want me to give up before I met my goals?

One thing I don't mind hearing people say is that I need to be strength training because I know they are telling me the truth. Now if they could tell me where to find the motivation to do so, that would be great. If only I enjoyed strength training as much as running.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    "Weight loss happens in the kitchen not in the gym." Ok, couch potato.

Because of this, I do my cardio in the kitchen. Winning.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    that them slapping a snack i want out of my hand saying "your on a diet you don't need this!" is them helping me. *kitten* please i exercised and saved my calories up for this who the hell are you to tell me i cant have it?

Made even worse by i imagine if i let them get away with that theyd of eaten it second i left the room xD

Tell 'em to get their own damned snack! cheapskates.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    that them slapping a snack i want out of my hand saying "your on a diet you don't need this!" is them helping me. *kitten* please i exercised and saved my calories up for this who the hell are you to tell me i cant have it?

Made even worse by i imagine if i let them get away with that theyd of eaten it second i left the room xD

Tell 'em to get their own damned snack! cheapskates.

ahahahaha x3 i know right! Happened to me once and it fell on the floor i could have bitten their head off....Was the last one and i craved it so much >.>
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    "Weight loss happens in the kitchen not in the gym." Ok, couch potato.

You do know there are tons of valid reasons for not exercising including chronic illness, injury and disabilities. It's not always that someone is a couch potato or lazy.
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    "You don't need to lose weight." :pB)o:)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    JQuinnLife wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

This...

I hate it when someone looks at my plate of pasta and says should you really eat that. Hell yes I should and then I remind them that I lost 37lbs and show them my guns!!! FU buddy!!!
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    "Just do it. Just lose the weight." As if it's as simple as that?
    "You look so skinny."
    "I'm worried you're not eating"
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    "You can get all the benefits of running from walking. Besides, you run so slow you might as well walk."

Someday I may ask this person to join me on a 5k. They walk, I run, we see who's done first. >:)

• vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT, per my husband. he doesn't understand that for me this process is a lot of trial and error. He thinks that i should just change and not have to think about it.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    'The coctail of medications you were/are taking (which all list weight gain as a common side effect as determined by clinical trails) and the associated endocrine disfunction function from using these medications have NOTHING to do with the sudden weight gain you have experienced .... it's all just CICO and you are probably just eating more, moving less.'

Sub text: you are just lazy and making excuses

Oh wait - that was from this forum :)

Never mind the clinical evidence, medical, psychiatric, endocrine opinion.

I think there is a lot of bad advice from well meaning people who think the scope of their own experience is all there is to the world.
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's a good observation, and I can see both sides of it. Your friend sounds like he's in that happy zone where everything's going well, and the weight is coming off nicely. What I've learnt over four years is that you have good times, and bad times and during those bad periods you can undo an awful lot of great work! Maintaining motivation and commitment is the hardest part of, for me at least. I totally understand where you're coming from!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    "You can get all the benefits of running from walking. Besides, you run so slow you might as well walk."

Someday I may ask this person to join me on a 5k. They walk, I run, we see who's done first. >:)

Hihi... I asked. He lost. :tongue:

Because even my "a zombie can outrun me"-jog is faster than his fastest walk. My brother should know by now that he shouldn't accept dares from me :wink:

• saFit247
    saFit247 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been an ectomorph all my life until I started weight training and slowly added weight over the years.. The most annoying advice I got was "EAT MORE FAT" because I dont have FAT in my body LOL :D , I can understand if he would asked me to increase my calories intake .. Some people dont even understand why we are ectomorph & why even after eating excess calories we hardly put on weight..
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Not advice, but I was hanging out with someone watching a reality show about doctors and heard "If they're all doctors and nurses, why are they eating foods they shouldn't?" (aka, "junk")