Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    sashybih wrote: »
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

There are numerous studies that clearly talk about this well-researched effect.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....

Where to even start?

1. I used to be overweight and a pre-diabetic. Decided to lose the weight and one of the first things I did was switch from regular soda, to diet. Before that I did not consume artificial sweeteners.
    2. Lost 50lbs, while drinking 4-6 cans of diet soda a day
    3. Blood work improved drastically, glucose numbers started coming back under 100
    4. I've been maintaining the loss for several years now:
    -I still drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day
    -my glucose numbers are still consistently under 100
    -rest of my blood work is also consistently good
    -blood pressure is great
    -latest waist measurement was 25 (done by a medical professional)
    -my bmi is 21.
    5. Diet soda does not cause me to overeat on calories and I have no problem maintaining my loss while continuing to drink diet soda every single day.

So yeah, I must be a special freak snowflake :p

Freak!

:D
  • brentfostwood904
    brentfostwood904 Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    here is a nice study for people if you cant find them so easily yourself http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231714000640

Just to be clear, i would have to drink 3200mg of aspatame. Considering there is about 180mg in a can of diet coke, i would have to drink about 17 cans a day (this is at 40mg/kg of body weight as done by the study).

Soo...... i think i am good.

they chose the amount specifically because the FDA says that amount is safe. Yet the study proves that this amount in fact is not safe. The study was only for 90 days, if lower rates of aspartame simply cause a lower rate of damage then if youre looking at a lifetime of consuming it, you will still have more neuron death than the rats did in this study. If youre looking at 1 can of diet coke a day then you could say 90 days x 17 = 4 years for you to get to the same amount of neuron death as the rats in the study suffered in 90 days. Also, the neuron death was very significant, even a fraction of that would be bad. So I dont think anyone is good when they are eating aspartame. But that's just my advice to you.

Its also proof that it is a carcinogen, as it showed that free radicals were increased due to the aspartame.

I've had personal experience with someone who drank around 8 cans of diet coke a day for 10 years and yes her memory was very bad and the addiction was very real. I do not think it's just a coincidence that she happened to have memory problems when aspartame is proven to damage the hippocampus.

Argue that you think it's really safe if you want and keep on drinking it, I dont mind. But I wouldnt drink it. There are a lot more studies out there if you want to read up on it, I just chose that one at random really because it looked well done. It's your life anyway.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Sorry but you don't get to decide what is "scary" to others.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    aspartame overexcites neurons in the brain, causing them to die, in specific areas such as the hippocampus. Animal studies with aspartame have shown a hole in the hippocampus being caused by aspartame. My ex girlfriend who is now 21 used to drink about 8 cans of diet coke every day for years since the age of 12, and her memory is terrible, I fully believe the link to neuron death due to aspartame and I've seen how addictive it can get (she could not deal with not having diet coke at all and any aspartame free substitute did not work). It is something which is both addictive and causes death of neurons. Best avoided.

Do you have a source for this claim?

go and check out the animal model studies on aspartame and the hippocampus, theres a lot more than one out there. Read the long term studies because a lot of the short term studies say there is no effect.. but they are done over a stupid amount of time like 2 days.. so these ones are hardly well designed studies.

The studies that implicate aspartame causing problems in animals use such ridiculous quantities of aspartame that you'd have to drink thousands of gallons of diet soda per day in order to get a comparable amount in your diet.

Even if humans would suffer the same side effects that the mice did in these studies (which we don't even know that we would), if you drink enough diet soda to attain sufficient aspartame to see those side effects, you would die the first day due to over-hydration flushing your body of electrolytes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    "real," "processed," "fake," "natural," etc

I wish we could all agree on what these even mean.
    According to those who eat "natural", it means chemical free. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A well-documented carcinogen is the sun. Kind of hard to avoid that.

tumblr_m7qc9gzrat1r2ky9fo2_1280__1_.jpg

Some people try to.

a6.jpg
    Or red heads.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....
    That would be correlation not causation. And if it REALLY caused insulin levels to rise like sugar, than why is it recommended as a substitute by the American Diabetes Association?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Also diet coke is the drink of choice for many anorexics
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    25+ years of drinking at least 2 cans a day. I'm cancer proof so far. If I get cancer, it'll probably lung cancer from being a previous smoker, not from drinking diet soda for so long.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

That would be correlation not causation. And if it REALLY caused insulin levels to rise like sugar, than why is it recommended as a substitute by the American Diabetes Association?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Also diet coke is the drink of choice for many anorexics

So by MFP standards, it causes anorexia? Lol.

Apparently! Ed treatment centers ban diet drinks and if you want to drink pop you have to drink regular so yes it obviously causes anorexic ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sorry but you don't get to decide what is "scary" to others.

But he does have the right to share valuable information regarding the reasons why there is nothing to fear.

You don't get to decide what is scary to others. Fear is an individual feeling. No matter what information you have. And that information's "value" is also an individual opinion. Why try to force something on people who don't want it. Just carry on enjoying your aspartame. There is no reason to force others to like it also.