Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Macpui85 wrote: »
    These routines are categorized by level, but how do you know if are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced?

I would recommend reading the complete guide to training that is linked at the bottom of the OP. Overall, the level you chose will be largely dependent on your training experience, whether or not you have followed a structured program before, what your goals are and what you are looking to get out of a program.

For example, if you haven't really followed a structured program before and you would like to get strong while cutting, it may be beneficial to start with a beginner program that focuses on the big four (OHP, Chest Press, DL, Squat). This might even apply to someone who has lifted in the passed as well. The main difference between a beginner and an intermediate lifter, is the time spend on a beginner program. For a real beginner, it could be 6 to 12 months (maybe more if volume keeps on increasing) while an intermediate lifter might only follow it for a few months to get strength back to previous levels.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My trainer closed his studio so I will be working at home with dumbbells and a 5 ft bar (which I've used only a few times). (I go the Y to swim but it's far enough away I cannot go every day to swim and do weights.) I have looked at a few routines and feel frustrated with the rigid rules. One program says you HAVE to do pull ups or lat pull downs. I don't have the equipment to do that and am nowhere close to doing a pull up anyway. Another program says you HAVE to use barbell, no dumbbells allowed. Another program says you HAVE to do exercises in a certain order switching back and forth between machines and free weights. Another one seems to focus on body appearance as the primary goa, like a good butt or whatever. Another says you HAVE to progress by 5 lb every week, even on something like OHP which is not gonna happen for me. So if I can't find a program that fits and all the programs (and people here) say DO NOT vary from the established program AT ALL, it leaves you hanging. I am very confused. My trainer always varied what we did from week to week. I wrote down the last several workouts I had with my trainer and feel maybe I'd be better off just doing those and making my own variations based on that?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    5x5 says to increase by 5 lbs, but u don't have to. I increase by doing an extra rep or set or until able to progress to the next weight. Nothing is set in stone. There is wiggle room within any program. Just ask where substitutions can be made.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TylerShewbatski
    TylerShewbatski Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have been 2 years in lifting and not new to compounds lifts at all but I was trying to look for strength and power training programme rather than bodybuilding hypertrophy one, can anyone maybe help?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have been 2 years in lifting and not new to compounds lifts at all but I was trying to look for strength and power training programme rather than bodybuilding hypertrophy one, can anyone maybe help?

What program where you following for those two years? How many days do you typically lift?

In a general sense, I would first recommend reading the strength training guide to determine which category you will fall in, but I suspect a good intermediate program will be ideal. I would probably recommend looking at Wendler 5-3-1. It's a fairly solid program which focuses on the 4 big lifts (chest press, OHP, DL, Squat) with some accessory lifts (these are higher reps, but designed that way). The primary lifts are in the lower rep range with the except of of the max set. There is PH3 but before you do a program like that, Layne Norton recommends having a wilks score of 350 or higher.
  • TylerShewbatski
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

What program where you following for those two years? How many days do you typically lift?

In a general sense, I would first recommend reading the strength training guide to determine which category you will fall in, but I suspect a good intermediate program will be ideal. I would probably recommend looking at Wendler 5-3-1. It's a fairly solid program which focuses on the 4 big lifts (chest press, OHP, DL, Squat) with some accessory lifts (these are higher reps, but designed that way). The primary lifts are in the lower rep range with the except of of the max set. There is PH3 but before you do a program like that, Layne Norton recommends having a wilks score of 350 or higher.

Hi,

I ran a individual split for first 5 months than been running p/p/l ever since and it depends on week on how many days i lift. It varies from 5-6, push/pull/legs/rest/repeat and do you mean 350 score as in 350 pounds on every lift?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Hi,

I ran a individual split for first 5 months than been running p/p/l ever since and it depends on week on how many days i lift. It varies from 5-6, push/pull/legs/rest/repeat and do you mean 350 score as in 350 pounds on every lift?

Look at Wilks score calculator. Or you can go into the PH3 program --> program details, it has a calculator.
  • TylerShewbatski
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi,

Look at Wilks score calculator. Or you can go into the PH3 program --> program details, it has a calculator.

Hi,

I did, it shows 290 lol? (Wilks calculator)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Hi,

I did, it shows 290 lol? (Wilks calculator)[/quote]

Not bad. So you should stick in an intermediate program like Wendler. I love the program and currently following it.
  • TylerShewbatski
    Options

Hi,

Not bad. So you should stick in an intermediate program like Wendler. I love the program and currently following it. [/quote]

Hi,

Not bad. So you should stick in an intermediate program like Wendler. I love the program and currently following it. [/quote]

I was suppose to enter my weight and my best one rm right? lol jsut so i dont get confused and thats what I am planning on. Real thanks OP
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Hi,

Not bad. So you should stick in an intermediate program like Wendler. I love the program and currently following it.

Hi,

I was suppose to enter my weight and my best one rm right? lol jsut so i dont get confused and thats what I am planning on. Real thanks OP[/quote]

Yes, enter your bodyweight and use the total of your 1RM squat, bench and deadlift for weight lifted.

I started PH3 just over a year ago with a 385 lb squat, 225 bench and 500 dead. After 2 rounds of the program, my new tested 1RMs were 465 squat, 275 bench and 555 dead. My 3rd round had no progress since I got sick with strep throat and pneumonia. Now I'm in my 4th round and I'll be testing my 1RMs again in 3 weeks.

It's a good program, but can be very taxing squatting and benching 3x a week. I have my first powerlifting meet in January and then I'm planning to take a break from PH3 and switch to 5/3/1 for the slightly lower frequency.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Interested on hearing peoples thoughts on whether training a bodypart once per week is inferior to multiple times per weak, when hypertrophy is the main focus. For example doing a bro-split rather than PPL or similar?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Interested on hearing peoples thoughts on whether training a bodypart once per week is inferior to multiple times per weak, when hypertrophy is the main focus. For example doing a bro-split rather than PPL or similar?

I believe it's likely to be inferior.

In theory, if you look at the duration of elevated muscle protein synthesis you could make the argument that higher frequency training allows you to upregulate MPS right around the time that it comes back down again, which ends up being 2-3 times/week.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

In theory, if you look at the duration of elevated muscle protein synthesis you could make the argument that higher frequency training allows you to upregulate MPS right around the time that it comes back down again, which ends up being 2-3 times/week.

I can see how this would be beneficial for beginners (un-trained) persons, however for experienced lifters who are at the upper limits of their FFMI is this likely to still be the best approach?

Anecdotally; I feel that without a specific session for muscles/groups, I cannot get enough volume and variety of exercises for stimulate each portion of a muscle group.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I can see how this would be beneficial for beginners (un-trained) persons, however for experienced lifters who are at the upper limits of their FFMI is this likely to still be the best approach?

Anecdotally; I feel that without a specific session for muscles/groups, I cannot get enough volume and variety of exercises for stimulate each portion of a muscle group.

I'm not entirely sure but I would speculate that there's likely some balance of frequency and per-session volume that needs to be met, and I'd just take a guess that even for advanced athletes that frequency is going to be higher than 1/week.

While this is just anecdote, I'd suggest checking out Jeff Nippard's youtube channel and specifically look for his more recent videos on bro-splits along with his interviews of Menno Henselmans on high frequency training. They discuss this exact topic, of trying to meet a certain per-session+per-bodypart volume threshold.

• trigden1991
    Options

I'm not entirely sure but I would speculate that there's likely some balance of frequency and per-session volume that needs to be met, and I'd just take a guess that even for advanced athletes that frequency is going to be higher than 1/week.

While this is just anecdote, I'd suggest checking out Jeff Nippard's youtube channel and specifically look for his more recent videos on bro-splits along with his interviews of Menno Henselmans on high frequency training. They discuss this exact topic, of trying to meet a certain per-session+per-bodypart volume threshold.

Given me some food for thought, thanks. As a further extension to my question; if someone is in a prolonged period of dieting, do you think that training a bodypart 2/3 times a week allows for adequate recovery? I would assume volume and frequency would only need to be lower when one is trying to maintain muscle mass.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Given me some food for thought, thanks. As a further extension to my question; if someone is in a prolonged period of dieting, do you think that training a bodypart 2/3 times a week allows for adequate recovery? I would assume volume and frequency would only need to be lower when one is trying to maintain muscle mass.

Lyle has addressed this (article is here), as does Eric Helms in his Muscle and Strength Pyramids book. The recommendation is to maintain intensity (weight on the bar) while cutting volume/frequency up to 66%.