Can not lose weight

Options
First time posting here and first time ever posting anything!!! I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that feels like therebia truly something wrong because no matter what I just can't lose weight! I have made my diary public and have posted for 50 days. Please feel free to have a look. However, I have been struggling my whole life with this. I am 45 yrs old 5'2". You name a diet I bet I tried it!! But this past year I have been seeing this as a life style and workin hard on calorie counting and excercise. Delt with Thyroid issues finally got my levels somewhat normal. Thyroid issue explains why I didnt lose over the summer with all my hard work. However since Sept still no results. For the past 3 weeks i have been aiming for 1000 calories a day and track very well. Some days I go over but I still track. I stopped eating my exercise calories I do 40 60 mins cardio 5 to 6 times a week +1/2 hour of weights 5 to 6 times a week I have an office job so sit 8 hrs a day.
I am so frustrated!!! There are weeks I have been perfect and can not lose!!! I know myself when I dont deserve to see results but I have been doing so well for awhile now

Replies

• pattysanderson71
    pattysanderson71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I feel I should he losing at least 2lbs a week!!! Any help??
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that way?

General soapboxery: Weight loss isn't always linear. Readjust expectations and enjoy the ride. If you're consistent, you'll find success over time. It's a long game.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This may not be an appropriate goal. What are your height, weight, and age?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Keep in mind that 2 pounds per week is the max healthy recommendation unless you're very obese and under the care of a doctor. Aiming for more than that is a recipe for disappointment.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Brought your other post in for more context:

First time posting here and first time ever posting anything!!! I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that feels like therebia truly something wrong because no matter what I just can't lose weight! I have made my diary public and have posted for 50 days. Please feel free to have a look. However, I have been struggling my whole life with this. I am 45 yrs old 5'2". You name a diet I bet I tried it!! But this past year I have been seeing this as a life style and workin hard on calorie counting and excercise. Delt with Thyroid issues finally got my levels somewhat normal. Thyroid issue explains why I didnt lose over the summer with all my hard work. However since Sept still no results. For the past 3 weeks i have been aiming for 1000 calories a day and track very well. Some days I go over but I still track. I stopped eating my exercise calories I do 40 60 mins cardio 5 to 6 times a week +1/2 hour of weights 5 to 6 times a week I have an office job so sit 8 hrs a day.
    I am so frustrated!!! There are weeks I have been perfect and can not lose!!! I know myself when I dont deserve to see results but I have been doing so well for awhile now
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat on a food scale, in grams?
    4op4nolmh4zk.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Work on those feels

They are pulling you down the wrong path
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I answered on your other thread, which had quite a bit less information than this one does. I want to say first that I don't have any experience with thyroid issues, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Looking at your diary, things like Lasagna - homemade or homemade bran muffin, are those recipes you put in yourself and calculated the nutrition for or are you relying on someone else's entries.

Are you weighing your chicken cooked or raw? 110 calories for 4 oz seems low. Have you double-checked that entry? Sometimes people input bad entries in the database.

Are you weighing things like produce, slices of bread, etc. to be sure the weight of your slice matches the prediction on the package's nutrition label?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

Brought your other post in for more context:

Based on your height and your goal, as stated on your profile, of losing 48 lbs, I would say that your expectation to lose at least 2 lbs per week is out of line with reality. You do not have the fat stores or calorie burn to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit long term. One pound a week could work, but, especially if you are not active, your weekly weight loss rate may average below that. You should expect losing 48 pounds to take somewhere around a year, which to me means a few months in either direction (e.g., 9-15 months.)
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Some of your days listed are 400 and 500 calorie days? Is that accurate? And you're still doing 60 minutes of cardio on those days? How did you calculate this 1000 calories a day?
    What is your current weight goal? Are you within the healthy range already? Still overweight? It's hard to know without knowing your starting weight and goal weight. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, there's not a lot of room for error - especially at your height. It means one day eating over can wipe out an entire week's deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I feel like I should own a unicorn but some things just aren't realistic. Unless you have a lot to lose, 2 lbs a week just isn't happening. I think I saw your other post where it was suggested logging may be a major issue? Get a food scale, use accurate entries, use the recipe builder and I bet you'll start seeing better results. Good luck and have patience - 2lbs is very aggressive, a pound or less a week is great.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It does seem like you need to be more accurate with your logging. But even if you were logging accurately, 1000cals/day along with an hour and a half of cardio and weight training seems pretty aggressive. If you were logging accurately, that would probably be a net of 800 calories or less per day which would definitely be resulting in weight loss.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose per week? How much are you currently? Do you own a food scale? How are you measuring liquids? How are you measuring things like nuts and peanut butter?

A medium sweet potato for example, the entry you picked is 133g. You should grab a food scale and a handful of "medium" sweet potatoes and measure them and see what they truly come out too.

"Medium apple"you need to weigh the apple whole, eat as much as you can down to the core and reweigh it. Subtract the two and that's your entry weight.

Peanut butter/Nutella/butter/honey how are you measuring this? Are you using a measuring spoon? If so, try weighing it and comparing to your entries.

Also Steak- grilled-5oz, what kind of steak? You need to be more detailed, was it a fatty piece of NY Strip or a more lean sirloin steak?

Are you making sure the entries you pick are correct? For example USDA-Ribeye gives me a lot of results, one is 210 calories for 4oz, one is 270 for 4oz.

Odds are what's going on here is your under estimating these things. When you have very little margins for losing weight, underestimating by 10-15 calories here and there will add up really fast.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your current body comp - weight? BF? goal weight/BF?
  • pattysanderson71
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies!! The days that show 500-600 cals were an error on my part.
    I will def tighten up my weighing and measuring. In my mind I figured that at 1000 cals it would allow for things I miss calculated. Perhaps this is where my problem lies.
    I am 45 yrs old
    173 lbs
    5'2" tall ( or short lol)
  • pattysanderson71
    Options
    And re hunger.... I feel hungry most of the time. Only time my stomach is not growling is for an hr after I eat.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You can't lose if you are not in a deficit. Just looking at your entries (as others have mentioned) you are using generic entries as well and cups/spoons to measure. You need a food scale. Period. You also need to eat more. 1000 cal a day and not eating back your exercise calories is a sure set up for binging and failure. How far are you from goal weight?