Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I've known people, who eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise a lot. They always have trouble losing weight. What's gone wrong?

Most people will say CICO, however...
    http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html

It's far more complex.

Too bad we can't simply install critical thinking to the pack mentality on this forum.

Does CICO work or not?

Are the complexities that CICO works, however there are habits, behavior,medical and psychological reasons folks can't control CI?

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I've known people, who eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise a lot. They always have trouble losing weight. What's gone wrong?

It's far more complex.

Too bad we can't simply install critical thinking to the pack mentality on this forum.

@Helloitsdan I remember you from the old days of this forum and IPOARM and EMTWL helped me immensely when I was starting out here. But your need to constantly disparage and berate those of us trying to give advice here on these forums is getting tiresome.

It's a stock answer that's simplistic and forgoes the complexity of obesity.
    After educating myself and while building a business based around helping GenPop clients lose weight and live healthy lives, it's not always the answer CICO.

I'm not disparaging the help, I simply want people to use critical thinking when giving advice. You think it's tiresome here? Try convincing someone who's taught by their parents that they cannot eat food that day if they weigh more than the number on the white board.

This is an ever growing issue across the world with obesity on the rise. Telling someone "Eat less and move more" doesn't address the complex issues underlying what's really making them overweight. It could be calories. It could be a billion other issues too!

So while CICO applies, the issue is far more complex and I'll not apologize to you or any of the other posters who take issue with me or how I address healthy living.

You have to understand that along with all of the paradigm shifts in nutrition over the past 50 years, along with countless others to come, you cannot state with absolute certainty that it's CICO.

Please don't see my post as disparaging. Please see it as an opening for you and the others to use critical thinking and ask questions so we can all help the people who need it the most.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »

It's far more complex.

Does CICO work or not?

Are the complexities that CICO works, however there are habits, behavior,medical and psychological reasons folks can't control CI?

CICO works for fat loss. There are habits, behaviors, medical, biological and psychological factors that can affect CI, CO, and weight loss.

^ Agreed.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

It's far more complex.

@Helloitsdan I remember you from the old days of this forum and IPOARM and EMTWL helped me immensely when I was starting out here. But your need to constantly disparage and berate those of us trying to give advice here on these forums is getting tiresome.

It's a stock answer that's simplistic and forgoes the complexity of obesity.
    After educating myself and while building a business based around helping GenPop clients lose weight and live healthy lives, it's not always the answer CICO.

I'm not disparaging the help, I simply want people to use critical thinking when giving advice. You think it's tiresome here? Try convincing someone who's taught by their parents that they cannot eat food that day if they weigh more than the number on the white board.

This is an ever growing issue across the world with obesity on the rise. Telling someone "Eat less and move more" doesn't address the complex issues underlying what's really making them overweight. It could be calories. It could be a billion other issues too!

So while CICO applies, the issue is far more complex and I'll not apologize to you or any of the other posters who take issue with me or how I address healthy living.

You have to understand that along with all of the paradigm shifts in nutrition over the past 50 years, along with countless others to come, you cannot state with absolute certainty that it's CICO.

Please don't see my post as disparaging. Please see it as an opening for you and the others to use critical thinking and ask questions so we can all help the people who need it the most.

Your insistence that I do not use critical thinking when I give the advice I do and calling me "the help" are both disparaging. There is no way around that.

I agree you'd think that. If you knew me better you wouldn't. Please understand that I'm simply trying to help and in no way trying to offend.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It is all down to Motivation, we don't struggle, we just decide it's esier to not go all the way when it Comes to Training and Diet.

I don't struggle to loose weight i get up at 5:30 every morning and bust my *kitten* on the weights 5 times a week and do 4 one hour cardio sessions wa week + 3 x HIIT
    Only two meals a day, the first one at 12:30 and the second one at 16:30 (so when i get up in the morning to Train...i am hungry)

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »

It's far more complex.

Does CICO work or not?

CICO works for fat loss. There are habits, behaviors, medical, biological and psychological factors that can affect CI, CO, and weight loss.

I totally get that. I guess my point is that it seems a little irresponsible to not add the bolded caveat. When saying "CICO is not the only answer". It tends to breed the mentality that "I can't help it". While that maybe the case psychologically its not the case physically correct?

It seems that CICO works except in rare medical instances.

Habits, behaviors and psychological factors wouldn't inhibit CICO because usually these lead to eating more calories. Am I correct?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think one.reason might be we tend to eat with our wallet .. an example I was buying a.frozen dinner ( I'm a guy lol ) and for 50 cents more I could have bought same thing with twice as many calories/twice the food ..

Same could be said about ..you want to up size that meal ..

Or that's a great restraunt they give you lots of food .. or were not going back it was good but small portions

Or how about food packages .. 2000 calorie average diet .. some gain on 2000 a day

Or who doesn't want to get there monies worth when they go to a buffet ?

Just some examples that the world we live in does not help ...

Some concider food with lots of calories healthy but candy is junk food ( like chocalate is bad )

Just some.thoughts

Good luck
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

The vast majority are ignorant of what is needed to lose weight. Many cannot get past personal demons around food. Many of us have been conditioned to unhealthy habits such as clean your plate. Combine this with the vast amounts of predatory woo and misinformation out there profiting off this ignorance, then add to the lack of science education in the US and it becomes a bit clearer. With freedom comes responsibility, but it is far easier to delegate responsibility.

People are mostly unaware of their own habits and bias. If you had an impartial observer following them and monitoring behavior we would immediately see all the missed calories logged, the overestimation of workouts, etc.