Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,898 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I'd hate to be in a fitbit challenge with you @glassyo :lol:

LOL. But now I'm doubting it's really 70,000! Altho when I did the 100 step test it was very close, if not, spot on.

Where do you have your Fitbit? I didn't see if you mentioned what type it is. The wrist ones can add steps from moving your hands. The clip-on ones can add steps if it's in a pocket.

I also noticed that my plain ordinary pedometer would add steps if I had my phone in the breast pocket of a particular jacket. The pocket is deep enough so that the phone sat low enough so that when I walked, it would cause my jacket to tap the pedometer, and I'd get double the steps.

Riding in a motor vehicle also added steps. A particularly bumpy bus route could add 1000+ steps.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    jattardi wrote: »
    Get up every hour and take a 500 step "walk" around the office, this alone will make about 4,000 steps for an 8 hour work day.

I do this sometimes, but definitely not every hour. Sometimes I get so involved in a task that I sit uninterrupted for 2-3 hours. Maybe I can set an hourly reminder on my phone or watch to remind me to get up and walk around the office.

Your other suggestions are good ideas too! Thanks!

I have the same problem - made worse by regular meetings that sometimes will have everyone sitting around a table for over an hour, or deadlines where I literally cannot stop for as long as 500 steps takes...

When the weather is nicer, I have counteracted that by walking to work or walking to a further bus stop on the way home. I also have been known to do teleconferences standing in front of my desk packing back and forth.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    17-19k or so, but the lion's share of those steps are ran. 2500 or so steps a mile and I run about 5-7 miles a day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options

LOL. But now I'm doubting it's really 70,000! Altho when I did the 100 step test it was very close, if not, spot on.

I guess an easy way to test it would be if you ate all the exercise calories back and your weight loss stayed on track. What does fitbit say your TDEE is?

Weekdays it's around 2300/2400. Weekends is about 2800. I play mind games with myself when it comes to eating tho. I try to leave a 1000 calorie deficit on the weekends and eat at maintenance during the week but I also cheat...handfuls of food I don't log or just estimating with quick calories instead of weighing and logging. This way I've basically been maintaining.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Where do you have your Fitbit? I didn't see if you mentioned what type it is. The wrist ones can add steps from moving your hands. The clip-on ones can add steps if it's in a pocket.

Hmmmmm I have a One and wear it clipped to my undies. I have a ChargeHR as well but that completely overestimated my tdee so finally gave up on it.
  • heathervallon
    heathervallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fitbit flex. 24,000 today and I haven't gone to work yet (which usually adds 10-12000). But it was also long run day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit. I have days where I average under 40 steps, but in normal circumstances I average 8k. My regular daily routines don't involve much walking because I work from home and I don't have kids. When I first started counting steps it said I averaged 1800-2000 steps without purposeful movement. My biggest record is just under 20k after a hike. If go for more than 14k my achilles tendons start to bother me, so I keep these to a minimum.
  • supermanda28
    supermanda28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge hr 2
    Between 4,000-7,000 steps per day
  • nagdha
    nagdha Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This thread is inspiring. I used to do 5000steps on normal days.now I do 10000-15000 steps (after taking conscious effort) you guys are pushing me to do 20k steps.let me try.my highest was 17k steps. I use garmin vivofit
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    About 10k per day :)
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Do you play the Piano?
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Fit bit says 15000 I do security work
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I guess an easy way to test it would be if you ate all the exercise calories back and your weight loss stayed on track. What does fitbit say your TDEE is?

Weekdays it's around 2300/2400. Weekends is about 2800. I play mind games with myself when it comes to eating tho. I try to leave a 1000 calorie deficit on the weekends and eat at maintenance during the week but I also cheat...handfuls of food I don't log or just estimating with quick calories instead of weighing and logging. This way I've basically been maintaining.

I burn just under 3000 calories for 26kish steps. So what would would 70,000 steps be? 6-7000ish? Something is definitely amiss with your fitbit..
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    On days that I just get up, go to work, come home and watch TV 3,500 steps. On days that I go to the gym, do some zumba, running, elliptical, etc. 15,000-18,000. I try to make the 3,500 days sparse, but unfortunately, sometimes, there seems to be more of them than I would like to admit...
  • allthatgliitters
    allthatgliitters Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do 3000 withot effort but around 7000 when i pace the house ☺ i use S health app
  • msghens
    msghens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    13K per day average. Garmin Vivoactive HR
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

I burn just under 3000 calories for 26kish steps. So what would would 70,000 steps be? 6-7000ish? Something is definitely amiss with your fitbit..

^^ agreed

I'd have thought with 70 k steps TDEE would be closer to 3500 call for average height person...perhaps much more...

Mind you at 5 ft 2 and 128lbs my TDEE per fitbit for:
    10k - 1750 (yeah I know, sucks! The curse of being a small fry)
    15k - 2000 (my average and I eat this amount of cals on average too)
    20 - 2200
    25 - 2400.
    so for me it's just better to eat a bit less than bust my kitten for very little imo.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

^^ agreed

I'd have thought with 70 k steps TDEE would be closer to 3500 call for average height person...perhaps much more...

20 - 2200
    25 - 2400.
    so for me it's just better to eat a bit less than bust my kitten for very little imo.

Projecting from your numbers, you'd get 4200 calories burned for a 70,000 step day. And like you said, you're tiny! I can easily see a larger person getting upwards of 6K or 7K calories burned for a geniune 70K step day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

^^ agreed

20 - 2200
    25 - 2400.

Projecting from your numbers, you'd get 4200 calories burned for a 70,000 step day. And like you said, you're tiny! I can easily see a larger person getting upwards of 6K or 7K calories burned for a geniune 70K step day.

Yep, I'm 5"8 and 150lbs.
  • gatzke123
    gatzke123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use mfp ap to track my steps. I try and hit 10k on the ap daily. But I know I'm putting in more then that