Diet coke or pepsi?

Options

Replies

• rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In skimming, I saw a post somewhere in here where someone talked about pretty much just drinking diet soda. Not to mention, I have known a number of people, generally from certain geographic regions who drink pretty much nothing but soda/diet soda. And seeing posts where people drink 8 cans of soda a day..so unlikely that they're getting much water. Might want to unbunch your undies. The fact it isn't sugar in diet soda doesn't change my statement that having that much sweet crap all day would make me personally feel bleh. To each his own, but everything in moderation and I just can't imagine guzzling soda all day every day and see it as unlikely that if someone's hydration is mainly soda that they're getting the 10-12+ glasses of water that they should be getting
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    In skimming, I saw a post somewhere in here where someone talked about pretty much just drinking diet soda. Not to mention, I have known a number of people, generally from certain geographic regions who drink pretty much nothing but soda/diet soda. And seeing posts where people drink 8 cans of soda a day..so unlikely that they're getting much water. Might want to unbunch your undies. The fact it isn't sugar in diet soda doesn't change my statement that having that much sweet crap all day would make me personally feel bleh. To each his own, but everything in moderation and I just can't imagine guzzling soda all day every day and see it as unlikely that if someone's hydration is mainly soda that they're getting the 10-12+ glasses of water that they should be getting

I drink 4-5 cans a day of diet soda, plain water as I'm thirsty and then occasionally I'll switch out the soda for black tea. I don't drink coffee, milk, juice, energy drinks etc. I'm hydrated fine, am in excellent health, have a bmi of 21 and feel great with no health issues or need for medications. If you don't like diet soda that's fine, but don't project your own issues with it onto others. And where are you getting that you need to drink 12+ glasses of water a day?! Talk about extremes :p

Also, you do realize the first ingredient in soda is water, right?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    And seeing posts where people drink 8 cans of soda a day..so unlikely that they're getting much water.

Pure bunkum, I drink significant amounts of diet soda per day but I also keep a bottle of water by my desk at work which I generally have to refill four or five times. One does not preclude the other.
  • TRIFITTNESS36
    TRIFITTNESS36 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Pepcola
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to ask this for ages...

Most people preach everything in moderation and sugar is fine and not evil etc etc, but then choose diet drinks. Why not drink regular soda "in moderation". Is it because some people cant moderate their soda consumption?

I'm assuming the answer is calories in drinks are a waste of said calories.
    Diet soda is the lesser of two evils due to 0 calories.
    You can drink as much as you want and not have to worry about calories.

It just seems "everything in moderation" and "sugar is fine" is a direct contradiction when they turn around and drink diet drinks.

It doesnt seem a contradiction to me - and I dont try to avoid sugar as such, I eat plenty of chocolate, cakes etc - but there is really not a decent no-calorie option to those.

Pepsi max is a no calorie option and then I can use those calories for things I enjoy and/or that fill me up/ provide nutrition - whereas I really enjoy pepsi max just as much as real soda, so no point me 'wasting' calories on real soda when a no calorie alternative is available

Once in a while, if I really want a cold non-water drink and there is no diet soda available (or only non-cola ones because I dont like them), say, at a party or somebody's home, then I will have a real one.

But all hotels, restaruants, other commercial places have diet available so rarely does this issue arise.

At the same time I can see some people dont like diet version or have more wiggle room in their allowance than me and choose to have regular in moderation.
    That's a fair enough approach too.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It baffles me that some of you can drink soda all day (diet or not), consume little to no water, and not feel like total *kitten*... Maybe it's because I live in an arid climate in the Southwest, but I don't get how you don't feel lethargic, dried out, overheated, and irritable living that way, not to mention the stomach ache from so much sugar.

I drink a ton of water and a lot of soda. I also drink a couple of cups of herbal tea (current favorite is cinnamon/apple).

Yeah, I pee a lot.

I have chronic dry mouth. I am always thirsty.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    bboyd223 wrote: »
    No....I enjoy soda....it doesn't agree with the results I'm after.

What results are those? Besides, what I was getting at was that you said for others to stay away from it. Others know if it makes them feel unwell or gets in the way of their goals, and therefore may or may not be able to consume it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also is there is a zero calorie drink why would you waste your calories and have calories that are just sugar when you could have diet? Seems like a no brainer to me. I never want to or plan to drink regular soda. I think it is a waste of calories.
    Because Mt Dew...
    It baffles me that some of you can drink soda all day (diet or not), consume little to no water, and not feel like total *kitten*... Maybe it's because I live in an arid climate in the Southwest, but I don't get how you don't feel lethargic, dried out, overheated, and irritable living that way, not to mention the stomach ache from so much sugar.

Umm...soda is quite hydrating seeing as how it's something like 99% water.
    Also is there is a zero calorie drink why would you waste your calories and have calories that are just sugar when you could have diet? Seems like a no brainer to me. I never want to or plan to drink regular soda. I think it is a waste of calories.
    Because Mt Dew...

This is the only acceptable answer seeing as Diet Mountain Dew is the actual worst
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I drink a ton of water and a lot of soda. I also drink a couple of cups of herbal tea (current favorite is cinnamon/apple).

Yeah, I pee a lot.

I have chronic dry mouth. I am always thirsty.

I drink 12-24oz soda a day and 8ish 16oz bottles of water, I pee all day lol but I've always drank a huge amount of water my whole life.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

This is the only acceptable answer seeing as Diet Mountain Dew is the actual worst

Part of me wishes they'd actually TRY to make Diet Mountain Dew flavors that aren't terrible. The other part of me realizes that Diet Baja Blast and Diet Code Red would be completely terrible. :(
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

Part of me wishes they'd actually TRY to make Diet Mountain Dew flavors that aren't terrible. The other part of me realizes that Diet Baja Blast and Diet Code Red would be completely terrible. :(

Diet Code Red exists
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure that they still sell mountain dew here anymore. I tried it once and threw it in the trash after one sip :confounded: I dont know a single soul who actually liked it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

Diet Code Red exists

I swear this place has the worst diet soda selection in the world, outside of a state prison. I haven't been able to find Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Peoper in years, though I confirmed through their website that they still make it. :(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure that they still sell mountain dew here anymore. I tried it once and threw it in the trash after one sip :confounded: I dont know a single soul who actually liked it.

I like diet mtn dew and regular (but don't drink it anymore. Lol but can't stand the other flavours.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

Diet Code Red came out in 2002 and it was what I drank when I first switched from regular soda to diet soda. For me, at the time, it was the diet soda that tasted the least like diet soda. Haven't had it in years though, so no clue what my taste buds would currently think about it. Heh.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

Diet Code Red came out in 2002 and it was what I drank when I first switched from regular soda to diet soda. For me, at the time, it was the diet soda that tasted the least like diet soda. Haven't had it in years though, so no clue what my taste buds would currently think about it. Heh.

It makes me sad to have missed this. My stoner food used to be mozzarella sticks and Code Red. So many calories that could have been saved. :-o
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Because Mt Dew...

Because Mt Dew...

It makes me sad to have missed this. My stoner food used to be mozzarella sticks and Code Red. So many calories that could have been saved. :-o

It's still listed as a product on Mountain Dew's website. Hehe

mountaindew.com/products/diet-mtn-dew-code-red