November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I couldn't face 5 miles on a dreadmill if I could do them outside at 40° F with rain instead. But, to each his own.

@Ohhim - I know what you mean about short races. The last 5K I ran, the point was to help the team win the SuperVet category; during the actual race, I was thinking of it as a speed interval, 1 x 5K at I pace. I don't know how much fun it would have been if I hadn't met all my speed goals.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    Hi everyone...I haven't posted since the beginning of the month. I ran my half marathon (first) in early November and have been plagued with IT Band issues since then, making both knees to painful to run. In physio/massage/accupunture 3x per week right now. I have missed tracking with the group, but was feeling down about not running. On the upside I have incorporated swimming into my routine to try and keep my fitness up while I recuperate.

Hoping to get healthy enough to start running in December....fingers crossed.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I think learning the violin is a terrific idea! I always wanted to learn to play an instrument. Once I did buy a Martin acoustic guitar, took lessons for two months, practiced every day, then we went on a 2 week vacation and I never picked it up again. My son eventually took guitar lessons and when he developed a fondness for playing acoustic, I gave it to him. It sounds much better in his hands. The only other time I got close to an instrument was when I built a big lever harp for my daughter when she decided that was the instrument for her. Maybe when I retire I'll try something. I've also done the self-taught foreign language thing. I took Spanish in high school but that was it. 10 years ago we planned a trip to Mexico so I got the Pimsleur Spanish lessons and worked through those. I thought they were quite good and I became fairly proficient with Spanish. I wouldn't say fluent by any means, but in Mexico I spoke exclusively in Spanish with the locals and never had a language barrier. With no use for it at home it has slipped away but I would like to pick that up again too.

@shanaber, Ouch!! I hate to be a negative Nellie but a pop in the hamstring doesn't seem like something a foam roller can help. Any time I've had something pop it's been a tear in the muscle. That it hurts when you sit tells me that elongating it makes it worse. With two weeks to go to your HM, I'd take it very easy and let it heal as much as it can in that time. The two times I've had tears, the doc has wanted me to avoid immobilizing it. When my calf tore tore the first time (big tear) she put me in a boot. The second time (small tear) she had me put in heel lifts in my shoes to help prevent stretching it out until the muscle could repair itself.

@kristinegift good luck with the lifting!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It was a rare day for me. A pre-work run! Busy schedule to night, my wife was taking my son to school, and I just had a short tempo run scheduled so set my alarm an hour earlier.

It was a cold, dark, damp, and dreary morning. The "wintery mix" that was supposed to be done at 4am was still coming down even though it didn't show up on the radar, but I went out anyway and ran 4 miles with Kody. 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at 10K pace, 1 mile cool down. Strava tells me I had my 3rd best mile at 7:46.

o5rchx2j4yae.jpeg

Upcoming Races & Events

12/03/2016 - Donut Day 25K <- 25k run with stops at 5 donut shops along the way
    01/28/2017 - Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/25/2017 - PsychoWyCo Run Toto Run 20 Mile Trail Race - Kansas City, KS
    04/29/2017 - Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
    06/??/2017 - Dan Patch Days 5K - Savage, MN
    07/04/2017 - 4th of July Road Race 10K - Red Wing, MN
    09/??/2017 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    11/1- 6.05
    11/2- 6.13
    11/3- 6.01
    11/4- 6.12
    11/5- 10.25
    11/6- Rest
    11/7: 6.05
    11/8- 6.01
    11/9- 6.02
    11/10- 6.14
    11/11- 6.01
    11/12-11.01
    11/13- REST
    11/14- 6.02
    11/15- 6.06
    11/16- 6.15
    11/17- 6.41
    11/18- 6.14 plus an hour and a half of snow shoveling
    11/19- "rest" Does it really count as rest when you shovel snow for an hour?
    11/20- 11.01
    11/21- 4.03
    11/22- 4.01
    11/23- 4.02
    11/24- 3.1
    11/25- REST-unscheduled, needed it after trashing my legs at the 5k
    11/26- 9.02
    11/27- REST- driving home ugh
    11/28- 4.3 (cut it 0.7 short)
    11/29- 5.0

Total: 151.07/150

Today's notes: Ran 5 on the TM. My Garmin was totally freaking out yesterday, so I did a factory reset on it. Today, with no outside running data to go with, it said I was running a lot faster than the TM said I was and, of course, gave me greater distance. I know the Garmin was wrong or, at least, more wrong, because before it went psycho, I was within +/- .1 miles from what the TM said at 3 miles Last Wednesday. Not so today! So, I just turned off the Garmin and went with the TM.

Who knows, maybe I ran faster and farther than I think. I'll find out better after Thursday, when I have a 7 mile that I'll be running outside to help re-calibrate my Forerunner.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I’m beating myself up over the fact that I never did get that 7 miler in at the weekend. Saturday my legs were just aching (I should really have given it a go and see if they eased up) and Sunday I had too much of a beer head on. If I carry on bailing like this I don’t see myself making any roads towards a HM in the Spring.

However, I did manage to drag myself out of bed this am and run to the gym to jump on the treadmill. It was minus 3 (Celsius) out there so I was glad to be in the warmth. But then really maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the head torch out and run on the towpath instead.

Finally getting that sports massage tonight….
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm looking through some of my run data from yesterday afternoon from Garmin. This was my first activity with my new Garmin Fenix 3 HR, so I'm interested in seeing what kinds of information is useful. As typical, I also ran with the Zombies, Run! app. I can definitely see where I'm going to fast, then walk, then go too fast, then walk, etc... but it isn't as much walking as I thought I was doing. Maybe I'm too critical of my walking stretches.

It gave me an average pace of 10:01 per mile, which is probably a bit high because I struggled figuring out how to stop the activity. in the meantime, I added a bunch of "laps" of about a foot as I tried to stop the activity.

My fastest pace is showing at 3:37 per mile. I looked at the map location and I know I sprinted there... really sprinted (because of zombies in that area... did I mention I was using Zombies, Run! app?). I know I was going super fast, but wasn't aware it was quite that fast.

There are 2 points where it is showing I was stopped... that affected average pace as well. Based on the map location, I know I was waiting for a break in traffic to cross a busy street. The busy street I crossed does not have any traffic control at that intersection (the side street I'm coming from has a stop sign), and the wait for a break in traffic was especially long the 2nd time I crossed that intersection.

The data so far told me something I already know - I go too fast and have to walk often. But it isn't as bad as I had envisioned.

I would share the Garmin log if I can figure out a way to hide the map... as that would give out more personal information than I want to share (basically would give away where I live).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - I couldn't face 5 miles on a dreadmill if I could do them outside at 40° F with rain instead. But, to each his own.
    yeah. I felt kind of like a wimp this morning. Thinking I'll do tomorrow's short 3 miler outside to make up for it. Tomorrow is a short run then a Tabata HIIT routine. It's going to kick my rear.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Well, Alabama finally gets rain… and wind. So nice to go to sleep by, but in the back on my mind…. Danced this question, “Will I be able to run in the morning? “ I woke up and I heard a light rain…. Perfect I thought… so I got up, dressed and out the door. Nice and soaked by the time I got back home.
    I'm thinking about changing trackers. I bought the FitBit Chrage 2, but as I run, I have a hard time seeing the numbers (side affect of getting older) .... looking at the Garmin FR 35.

01-Nov
    02-Nov 1.93
    03-Nov
    04-Nov 1.97
    05-Nov
    06-Nov
    07-Nov
    08-Nov 2.16
    09-Nov
    10-Nov 1.57
    11-Nov
    12-Nov 1.52
    13-Nov
    14-Nov 1.49
    15-Nov
    16-Nov 1.69
    17-Nov
    18-Nov 1.7
    19-Nov
    20-Nov
    21-Nov
    22-Nov 2.03
    23-Nov
    24-Nov 2.19
    25-Nov 1.31
    26-Nov 2.19
    27-Nov 1.07
    28-Nov 1.63
    29-Nov 2.68
    30-Nov
    Goal 30
    Remaining 2.87
  • girlinahat
    Options

I would share the Garmin log if I can figure out a way to hide the map... as that would give out more personal information than I want to share (basically would give away where I live).

I sync my tomtom with Strava which has an option for hiding addresses - so it hides anywhere within a half mile radius of my house. Does the Garmin have an option for that?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So, tomorrow is HIIT day, which means a 3 mile run, then a hit routine, 8 exercises (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest) X8 1 minute break between exercises. I'm planning on doing my HIIT at the gym. Do I do my run at home, then drive to the gym, or drive over, then run and do HIIT right after? LOL...the silly questions I think of.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I sync my tomtom with Strava which has an option for hiding addresses - so it hides anywhere within a half mile radius of my house. Does the Garmin have an option for that?

I just created a Strava account and synced with Garmin. It doesn't look like this activity is coming over... possibly because it was created before I had a Strava account?
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    So, tomorrow is HIIT day, which means a 3 mile run, then a hit routine, 8 exercises (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest) X8 1 minute break between exercises. I'm planning on doing my HIIT at the gym. Do I do my run at home, then drive to the gym, or drive over, then run and do HIIT right after? LOL...the silly questions I think of.

Park in between the gym and home.....and run
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/1: 3
    11/4: 4.2
    11/6: 6
    11/8: 3
    11/10: 4
    11/13: 7
    11/16: 2.3
    11/18: 4
    11/20: 8
    11/24: 5
    11/28: 9
    11/29: .5 S/S
    56 of 60

Training for: Key West Half Marathon, Jan 15, 2017
    exercise.png

Ran a 1/2 mile warmup on the TM and then a legs and core workout. My first stretch/strength workout since Sept 7th (bows head in shame). Felt good, like maybe ... just maybe ... I could get back into a regular gym routine.

Happy running, all!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's take a vote. If 10 people vote yes, @elise4270 has to create a youtube channel and post regular updates of her violin endeavor :-D

I'm a piano girl myself, but about 2 weeks ago I decided to play the boy's guitar (because he won't). My poor fingers were sore for a week! I was doing pretty good with C G and F though. Going against my husband's instruction because he's a bass player and was insistent that I play C G and D because F was too hard. I showed him. ROFLOL! All the Christmas songs I wanted to play needed that F chord. Of course, I've now forgotten everything I learned in that one night.

@midwesterner85 I recently linked my Garmin to smashrun.com (it's not a phone app but a free website) and one thing I like on there is it breaks each mile into a bar graph of 10ths! So you can really break down your speed and see what's going on throughout the mile, better than a line graph in my opinion.

My knee seems a little better today. Still hurts but it takes more range of motion to induce the pain. So hopefully this is a good thing.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Okay, let's take a vote. If 10 people vote yes, @elise4270 has to create a youtube channel and post regular updates of her violin endeavor :-D

okay, no. the idea of listening to someone LEARNING an instrument that has the potential to sound like a cat on heat? na, no way.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Getfitat54 wrote: »

Park in between the gym and home.....and run
    That might be what I do. gym is 11 miles from home, so it would be park closer to the gym, run out and back, then go to the gym and kill myself with HIIT
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Go @elise4270 go! That's awesome that you are going to learn. My son plays many instruments and while the recitals could be dreadful, there was nothing cuter than watching 4-year-olds learning the play the violin. Channel your inner toddler! If you YouTube it, I will watch (at least once).

Beautiful pics @skippygirlsmom.

11/1 - 3.06 miles
    11/2 - 3.04 miles
    11/4 - 2.76 miles
    11/6 - 6.81 miles
    11/9 - 2.74 miles
    11/11 - 2.30 miles
    11/13 - 3.73 miles
    11/18 - 1.96 miles
    11/19 - 1.70 miles (ended up mostly walking)
    11/22 - 1.45 miles
    11/25 - 2.81 miles
    11/27 - 5 miles
    11/29 - 1.46 miles (HIIT sprints = fun!)

Total: 38.82 miles / 80 Fail. Whoops!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

@midwesterner85 I recently linked my Garmin to smashrun.com (it's not a phone app but a free website) and one thing I like on there is it breaks each mile into a bar graph of 10ths! So you can really break down your speed and see what's going on throughout the mile, better than a line graph in my opinion.

I can hover over the Garmin graph, though, and see the pace at that point in the graph as well as location on the map and other stats at that time. To me, this is better than a whole run average, or a mile or even 1/10 of a mile average. It shows me more data about the fast and slow paces rather than the averages over time.