lemurcat12 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

Why is that "admirable"?

And there are lots of places where an overweight or obese person can feel comfortable without spreading the (false) idea that people into fitness are scary and mean and act poorly. I've worked out at gyms (or health clubs) when in a variety of fitness levels, and always found gyms where people are serious about working out to be reasonably friendly places, some with atmospheres I prefer more than others, of course. I quit one once because the atmosphere wasn't really for me, but that didn't mean the people there were bad or deserving of mockery. It just wasn't what I wanted.

That is fine if they don't bellow or throw, IMO. I'm super happy where i am.

There is no bellowing or throwing in my gym, even without dumb anti lunkhead stuff. (Weights get dropped occasionally as that happens.) But that you see the anti lunkhead, divisive promotional stuff as a feature, not a bug, has been made clear. I think it's nasty and divisive and creates an attitude that people serious about exercise (at least other than in the approved way) should be mocked, and that people not all that fit shouldn't aspire to be better, but should see overly fit people as scary or (again) mockable.

Not at all. I have no issues with people serious about exercise. Wow.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My gym added a very nice "functional training" area that includes a 30 yard or so long strip of field turf and a Prowler sled to push on the turf.

Several of the trainers have decided the turf is a good place to have trainees doing floor exercises, even though there is a large area with rubber flooring adjacent to the turf that is generally not full.

Speedbumps!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    The fact is that I like the quiet, congeniality, price, convenience, and equipment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

Why is that "admirable"?

And there are lots of places where an overweight or obese person can feel comfortable without spreading the (false) idea that people into fitness are scary and mean and act poorly. I've worked out at gyms (or health clubs) when in a variety of fitness levels, and always found gyms where people are serious about working out to be reasonably friendly places, some with atmospheres I prefer more than others, of course. I quit one once because the atmosphere wasn't really for me, but that didn't mean the people there were bad or deserving of mockery. It just wasn't what I wanted.

There is no bellowing or throwing in my gym, even without dumb anti lunkhead stuff. (Weights get dropped occasionally as that happens.) But that you see the anti lunkhead, divisive promotional stuff as a feature, not a bug, has been made clear. I think it's nasty and divisive and creates an attitude that people serious about exercise (at least other than in the approved way) should be mocked, and that people not all that fit shouldn't aspire to be better, but should see overly fit people as scary or (again) mockable.

Not at all. I have no issues with people serious about exercise. Wow.

You indicated that you did by promoting "your gym" (PF) as a "no judgment zone" and "no lunks allowed" -- basically the marketing that says that people serious about weights should look elsewhere, and which implies that less fit people should be worried that at other gyms everyone is judging them, basically that they shouldn't think they would be comfortable elsewhere. It tries to create the problem of people thinking they wouldn't be comfortable in other gyms to be able to be a solution, which is what I consider pretty unscrupulous about their marketing and business plan.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

Why is that "admirable"?

I think that the wording is super inappropriate but I understand the fact that they are catering to a segment of the market that is intimidated by that kind of gym.

They should lose the derogatory terminology and the public shaming though!

• sgos16
    sgos16 Posts: 6 Member
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Having men stare at me when I am doing pull ups and chin ups. What's even worse is when one of them comes over to tell me that those are too hard and women shouldn't be able to do them. I was overweight before and have worked hard to be able to do those exercises. It makes me feel very self conscious.

It should make you feel proud! Sure, they are rude, but good for you for being able to do it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

What's "hard core" though?

Every single person at my gym does Olympic lifting...it's at the foundation of the way my trainer (he's the owner) trains his clients...most of his clients aren't "hard core" athletes or power lifters or whatever...there are some legit athletes he works with, but by and large his clientele is your average Joe/Jane trying to get fit. I would say most of them are overweight and trying to lose weight.

IDK...to me, Oly lifting is pretty traditional and functional...the only way I'd see it as "hard core" is if someone was actually training to compete...but the 70 year old lady that was in there last Wednesday doing snatches doesn't really fit that bill...yet she'd get the buzzer at a PF.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »

Why is that "admirable"?

I think that the wording is super inappropriate but I understand the fact that they are catering to a segment of the market that is intimidated by that kind of gym.

They should lose the derogatory terminology and the public shaming though!

Yeah, I agree.

I kind of think that by telling people they SHOULD be worried about others judging them, though, and that the only solution is PF that they are making people more uncomfortable and less likely to go somewhere they might face that kind of discomfort, or to try other kinds of weight training. That's why even though I get going there I think it's important not to buy into the nasty and negative marketing, as opposed to promoting it as truth.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Why is chewing gum on a treadmill a problem? Or banging weights and grunting? I don't get some of these issues.

Me neither. Banging and grunting is inevitable when lifting heavy. So glad I lift at home.
  • DebSozo
    When either one of the two Elieko bars are in use and I have to settle for a Texas bar. It's a really bad day if I'm all the way down on an Ivanko bar.

When one of the coaches heats up something that smells amazing when I'm already hungry toward the end of a training session and makes me hungrier.

But you gotta love those hard core gyms because people put their stuff away and you get to know everyone. If I had a good one in my area I'd probably to there instead but the closest one is over 30 mins away and I'm not really into driving an hour to workout.

Can you explain what you mean by "hard core"?
  • DebSozo

It also means "a brawny and sexually attractive male".
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Why is that "admirable"?

My gym is brilliant in its layout. Weights are upstairs, cardio and group fitness is downstairs. There's lots of padding in between. People on the treadmills never have to be bothered by someone grunting upstairs, and its rare that a weight is dropped so hard that you hear it downstairs. Also, the functional training area is separated from the barbell area by the locker rooms, so if you're doing a dumbbell circuit or using the TRX, you never interact with the powerlifters. My gym is amazing at catering to all levels of fitness without excluding or mocking anyone... I feel lucky.

We have a Gold's Gym Express in my community, brilliant set-up. The front is the cardio equipment and some selectorized machines. Behind a partial wall is an area with 2 platforms, lots of bumper plates and 3 squat racks that would be at home in an NFL weight room. A bit further back is an area with dumbbells, benches, and some heavier duty plate loaded machines. The back of the gym is a functional training area. Big apparatus where you can rack barbells, do pull-ups, attach the TRX straps, etc. Also has a track to push a sled, kettlebells up to 90 pounds, medicine balls, etc and a set of stairs about the equivalent of 2 stories for running up. Out the back door are a couple tires for flipping. Also have a cardio theater and a few classrooms.

Basic membership is $10 a month. For $20 you get the base membership, plus you can bring a guest any time, free tanning (I know, but it's there if you want it), 50% off drinks and use of other locations.

IMO, pretty decent deal.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

but the 70 year old lady that was in there last Wednesday doing snatches doesn't really fit that bill...yet she'd get the buzzer at a PF.

God bless her :).
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Just common sense stuff
    people who leave the shower looking like crap, with hair all over the place would be about the only thing that makes me upset.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    I get annoyed at the gym when I forget my hairtie, or my headphones, or my headphones die. :/

Now this is truly the WORST!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Here's a new one... I go to a 24 hr club that has their lights on a timer......a stupid motion detection timer that's set for 18 min. Here's the fun part....it doesn't pick up movement on the cardio machines. So during my 40 min interval runs the lights will turn off at least twice. It only takes a second to adjust, but I've lost my balance in the middle of a sprint once or twice while my eyes adjust to the light and have about gone off the treadmill.

I've asked when they're going to fix that (multiple times) because that's a pretty sizeable safety hazard only to be met with "we can't". You can't what....set your sensor time? These are the same people who can't figure out how to use their cameras to find a specific time, so I shouldn't be surprised.

A bathroom at my work has that problem except the timer is set to something like five minutes.
    Gotta use the flashlight on your phone to see the toilet paper or else chance it and pop out of the stall to wave at the sensor before ducking back in.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    richln wrote: »
    When the first footman interrupts my cool-down stretching to request permission to halt the polishing of my fingerprints off of the silver dumbbells because the damn peasants are at the gate begging for food again.

Exactly this!

Seriously?

LOL, it was a funny post!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Just common sense stuff
    people who leave the shower looking like crap, with hair all over the place would be about the only thing that makes me upset.

Because it's totally their job to look attractive and presentable for you. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.