Annoyances at the gym!

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I get annoyed at the gym when I forget my hairtie, or my headphones, or my headphones die. :/

Now this is truly the WORST!!

The worst is when your headphones get caught on a piece of equipment and suddenly yanked from your ears.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Just common sense stuff
    people who leave the shower looking like crap, with hair all over the place would be about the only thing that makes me upset.

Because it's totally their job to look attractive and presentable for you. :lol:

I read it that way first too. But what I think he means is hair in the shower, that they haven't made the effort to rinse away, not that they haven't styled their hair, ha!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I get annoyed at the gym when I forget my hairtie, or my headphones, or my headphones die. :/

Now this is truly the WORST!!

The worst is when your headphones get caught on a piece of equipment and suddenly yanked from your ears.

I hate that! I've had my iPod go flying off the back of the treadmill before after my headphones got caught. I'm very careful about how I position everything when I'm on the treadmill now.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Just common sense stuff
    people who leave the shower looking like crap, with hair all over the place would be about the only thing that makes me upset.

Because it's totally their job to look attractive and presentable for you. :lol:

I read it that way first too. But what I think he means is hair in the shower, that they haven't made the effort to rinse away, not that they haven't styled their hair, ha!

LOL now that I go back and read it I think you're right.

My apologies @riffraff2112 :lol:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

I definitely wouldn't consider most commercial gyms anywhere near hardcore. The two large chains I've been a member of over the last couple years have far more "ordinary" people than hardcore lifters. We even have a few disabled members so PF isn't really special except in their marketing and their prejudice against a certain segment of fitness members.
  • Wheelhouse15
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

As I mentioned before, there are ways to cater to those new to exercise and/or weight loss without encouraging the judgment of others.

99% of the time, those "lunks" are just minding their own business and trying to get their workout in. They don't care that there are people at different fitness levels in the gym who are doing the best they can. Sure, there are bullies out there, as there are anywhere, but bullies come in all shapes and sizes.

It isn't my word. It is a name PF adopted. They need to get rid of it.

We have a competitor to PF here that is part of Good Life and they have an almost identical setup and even have an alarm as well but they call it the "Oops Alarm" and nobody gets labeled. Again, not my type of club so I didn't join because they don't offer what I need but I can certainly see that it fills a certain place in the market.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited December 2016
    As for the PF thing, I have no problem whatsoever with people working out there.
    For some, it's the only 24 hour option they have.
    For others, it's an affordable option that meets their basic exercise needs.

It just doesn't fit my needs because it lacks the equipment necessary to do the exercises which are foundational to my program and thus doesn't position me well to accomplish my goals.
    If someone else's goals are less ambitious or are more cardiovascular in nature, more power to 'em.

I do think their ad campaign, the "judgement free" zone and lunk alarm are completely reprehensible though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    When either one of the two Elieko bars are in use and I have to settle for a Texas bar. It's a really bad day if I'm all the way down on an Ivanko bar.

When one of the coaches heats up something that smells amazing when I'm already hungry toward the end of a training session and makes me hungrier.

But you gotta love those hard core gyms because people put their stuff away and you get to know everyone. If I had a good one in my area I'd probably to there instead but the closest one is over 30 mins away and I'm not really into driving an hour to workout.

Can you explain what you mean by "hard core"?

Willbenchforcupcakes is an internationally competitive powerlifter and she lifts at a gym that specializes in powerlifting, Oly lifting, and athletic conditioning. You need to get a membership and a training program to join and it's specifically for serious lifters/athletes. You pay more but you get individualized attention and you are there because you want to compete.
  • the_fit_geek
    the_fit_geek Posts: 58 Member
    people who sit in at a machine and talk or text or, even worse, talk on the phone, doing nothing, just sitting there. Like dude, get up and sit over there in a real chair. I need to complete my circuit! grrrrr grumble grumble
  • Wheelhouse15

It also means "a brawny and sexually attractive male".

That's never been my experience with the word, I'm guessing that's not what PF means by it either judging by their ads that feature annoying and intellectually deficient stereotypical lifters and vacuous makeup-laden women.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016

That's never been my experience with the word, I'm guessing that's not what PF means by it either judging by their ads that feature annoying and intellectually deficient stereotypical lifters and vacuous makeup-laden women.

Lol. Hey. I never knew the definitions until today except for the one PF made up.

It is rude similarly like the old beer commercial with the well built, leggy Swedish girls. So I do get your point. It isn't good to stereotype.
  • Wheelhouse15

Lol. Hey. I never knew the definitions until today except for the one PF made up.

Touche!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I'm more like this............

hy5usbzrl6jm.jpg

yeah, that's me too - probably slightly more red in the face though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    It is rude similarly like the old beer commercial with the well built, leggy Swedish girls. So I do get your point. It isn't good to stereotype.

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TRXOPL_vU
This discussion has been closed.