December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

On a side note, I did my last two runs in those Newton shoes @Elise4270 gave me several months ago. This is the first time I've used them (since I had surgery shortly after I got them). Even though they're technically trail shoes, I've been using them on the road. So far, I really like them. It was a little weird the first time out, with the lugs on the ball of the foot and not having any ground contact in the midfoot or toes. But, I really like the push-off/lift sensation I get from the roll onto the toes in the back-stride. Plus, no blisters so far! Even in the spots I already had blisters, they aren't getting irritated at all. I may just end up trying out some of their other (road) models soon!

Really glad you could use them! I find i need to heel strike to keep my ars' engaged. maybe that'll change.

My husband runs in them and changed to the Nike recently. He's having a hard time liking the Nikes now. But- he's not gonna be running for a bit. A few days ago he dropped a 45 pound disc weight on his foot. He had it x-rayed at urgent care with their playskool brand x-ray machine and it's fine. Haha! It could be broke, so I told him no running until it's 100%.

@MNLittleFinn I DO NOT want to know what the death drop burpee thing is. Good lord! Who decided to make burpees harder! I have back spasms just thinking about doing one.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I may have to send that to my Power Hour instructor. Seems right up her ally. I mean, who doesn't want to do 100 burpees, right? I'll just make sure I'm "sick" for her next class after I send it over. :lol:

@Elise4270 - OUCH! Yeah...maybe a podiatrist or ortho would be better than the urgent care. As for the heel strike, I'm a natural forefoot to midfoot striker. I think that's why I'm so fond of the zero or near-zero drop shoes. They don't force me to land on my heel, which tends to hurt my poor gimpy ankles (even with the extra cushioning of the higher drop shoes).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    And why do they make running clothes like all runners are 5'9? It really sucks that I have to roll up my running tights bc they're 6 inches too long. And those tops with the thumb hole? Great idea if my arms were down to my knees.

Any other shorties? I'm 5 ft 3/4 in.

I wonder the same thing!...but for opposite reasons. Buying tights is pretty challenging for me. They usually look like capri's. I have to wear taller socks in the winter or my ankles get cold.

I'm 6' 5"
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Where are you getting these clothes?! I'm 5ft9 and 95% of running clothes I find are too short in the leg and arms, and the ones with thumb holes are my absolute favourite. Which brands are you talking about? NEED!

@7lenny7 Sorry to hear you're injured. Have you decided what do do yet? Sounds like you still need to eat the donuts though, you know, to give your body the energy it needs to recover. That's a thing, right?

@Virkati Sorry to hear things are tough for you right now, fingers crossed you're back to running soon.

Just a few laps of the village tonight to stretch the legs out and run off a horrible day. Ready for an early night before long run + parkrun in the morning. I'm actually already dressed in my running clothes for the morning, I'm just going to sleep like this. The joys of being single :lol:

December Running Challenge

2nd - 3.06 miles

MTD - 3.06/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - If you think you're not doing deadlifts right, definitely seek coaching. The deadlift is the ultimate vanity lift, designed to use as much of the body as possible to lift as much weight as possible. Screw up on form when trying to lift heavy, and you can really mess yourself up. So yeah, seek help and get that form right before you make them really challenging.

FWIW, I gave up doing deadlifts after my PT expressed disapproval of them. At my peak, I deadlifted 245 lbs. for 3 reps, when I weighed something in the low 190s. At a healthy weight, I never deadlifted anything over 225 lbs. But I got to thinking, the PT gives me these exercises that are body weight or use really small weights and are still challenging; if I screw them up, worst case I drop a small weight and don't make progress.

So now, I'm not doing deadlifts. I'm squatting 85 lbs., in the form of 45 lb. and 40 lb. kettlebells held at the rack position; when I was lifting weights but not running, I squatted 165 with the Olympic bar. That was a vanity lift at the time, squatting my weight. Now I realize I just can't do everything, and squatting 85 lbs. (or probably even 50 lbs.) is enough to support my running habit.

But you do make me think that maybe I should start doing some chest presses again. I do push-ups, which build muscle endurance; but I could use more weight and build some strength with chest presses. Oh, well. I'll see what fits into the time I'm willing to put into exercise.

Rest day today, because I felt a bit beat up after yesterday evening's speed work. Went online and found the certification map for tomorrow's 5K. I've run in that part of town, and was pretty sure it was mostly flat; the map says max elevation 542 feet, min elevation 530 feet. Yeah, that makes a stack of pancakes look hilly.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Getting back into running so I can train for a half in April 2017. I'm a couple days late to the party.

Looking to do 75 miles this month (5 miles a day/5 days a week). :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Sorry to hear you're injured. Have you decided what do do yet? Sounds like you still need to eat the donuts though, you know, to give your body the energy it needs to recover. That's a thing, right?

Thanks. I've been tormenting myself all day pondering the options...deciding between what I *want* to do vs. what I think I *should* do. The Donut Day 25K sounds like an awesomely fun time, particularly since it's not a race but a social event and...donuts.

I think I've decided that I need to be smart and do what's best long term and that means I'm going to skip it, even the shorter distances, and run on my own, on the trails. Benefits are:
    • Trail running!
    • Kody can join me
    • It will be easier to keep to a slower pace if I'm on my own, and on a trail
    • I can start earlier in the day, and therefore end earlier in the day.
    • I can structure my route so that I'm never more than a couple of miles from my truck should the pain get too bad
    • I get to run in both pairs of my new trail running shoes!
    • There's a donut shop nearby...I'll hit that on the way there.

I have to list the benefits to make myself feel better about missing the donut run.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Any and all brands are way too long for me :( the ankle part of the pants sticks past my toes and the wrist part of the sleeve is past my fingertips :'(
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Any and all brands are way too long for me :( the ankle part of the pants sticks past my toes and the wrist part of the sleeve is past my fingertips :'(

Hahaha! Awwww!

https://youtu.be/8bfyS-S-IJs

Idk why I loved that stupid song as a kid. I was a short people then.

Maybe there's a line that offers petite sizes?
    Ooh! http://www.athleta.com/products/petite-workout-clothes.jsp
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Haven't really been able to check in since I posted yesterday morning and I see we're already on page 5! I'll have to get caught up.

12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles

TOTAL: 7 miles

4 miles in 37:50 (9:28 pace). It was supposed to be a slow-ish run or more like a whatever feels easy/comfortable. Wellllll, this pace DID feel comfortable but I probably shouldn't have let myself run this fast (was thinking more like 9:45/10 pace). I have been experiencing some tightness in my left calf as a result of overcompensating for my right shin and I was trying to avoid setting myself up for a painful longer run tomorrow. Hopefully all is well for tomorrow. Now, I just need to really pace myself slower tomorrow.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My goal is to join a running challenge someday. I can cycle but have not run beside a little tennis since my US Air Force days.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Okay....Let's close this month and year out with a
    Reich_Steve_Bang_9.jpg

exercise.png
    01 - 6.4mi
    04 - 3.1mi
    08 -
    14 -
    18 -
    22 -
    26 -
    28 -

YTD:[/b]
    c45bf3027cad941.gif
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December
    12/1 6 miles - 6
    12/2 4 miles - 10

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew
    12/2: 2 miles

I almost forgot to run today for the RW Run Streak... I left work, went to Target to pick up sweatpants (apparently I gave mine away last year because I always wore shorts to bum around in in my apartment, but my new place is freezing and I need more coverage!), then to the grocery store, and on the drive home I was planning what new groceries I was going to eat for dinner and then realized, "Crap! I have to run!" Slogged out my two miles immediately after putting away groceries so I couldn't forget again.

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• kristinegift
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @kristinegift - If you think you're not doing deadlifts right, definitely seek coaching. The deadlift is the ultimate vanity lift, designed to use as much of the body as possible to lift as much weight as possible. Screw up on form when trying to lift heavy, and you can really mess yourself up. So yeah, seek help and get that form right before you make them really challenging.

FWIW, I gave up doing deadlifts after my PT expressed disapproval of them. At my peak, I deadlifted 245 lbs. for 3 reps, when I weighed something in the low 190s. At a healthy weight, I never deadlifted anything over 225 lbs. But I got to thinking, the PT gives me these exercises that are body weight or use really small weights and are still challenging; if I screw them up, worst case I drop a small weight and don't make progress.

So now, I'm not doing deadlifts. I'm squatting 85 lbs., in the form of 45 lb. and 40 lb. kettlebells held at the rack position; when I was lifting weights but not running, I squatted 165 with the Olympic bar. That was a vanity lift at the time, squatting my weight. Now I realize I just can't do everything, and squatting 85 lbs. (or probably even 50 lbs.) is enough to support my running habit.

But you do make me think that maybe I should start doing some chest presses again. I do push-ups, which build muscle endurance; but I could use more weight and build some strength with chest presses. Oh, well. I'll see what fits into the time I'm willing to put into exercise.

@MobyCarp Yeah, consensus has been that for deadlifts: seek help! I'm not really using enough weight to hurt myself (less sore after those than I was after barbell rows!), but alternately, I may also not be using enough weight to have enough resistance to get my form down. I'll have to see if the gym has a trainer available when I go in Tuesday who can help me out. Or else I may have to sub them for something else.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would really like to keep running my 4.2 miles three times a week all of December but I guess that will largely depend on weather. Indoor is not an option from 12/22-12/31 because my gym will be closed (I go on campus). This is my first winter as a runner so we'll see how it goes!

12/1 - 4.2 miles

Goal: 40 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, my wife, who is amazing, wants to book a massage for me like 3-5 days after my Marathon (I checked, the local place allows booking that far ahead) Any suggestions on type for a possible post marathon massage?
  • kristinegift
    Options
    So, my wife, who is amazing, wants to book a massage for me like 3-5 days after my Marathon (I checked, the local place allows booking that far ahead) Any suggestions on type for a possible post marathon massage?

@MNLittleFinn I always get deep tissue when I go in because it's part of my package at my local spa. That's what I did after Philly and it helped a lot!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@MNLittleFinn I always get deep tissue when I go in because it's part of my package at my local spa. That's what I did after Philly and it helped a lot!
    Thanks!!

That's what I was thinking of. It's a LONG way off, but getting these "smaller" things out of the way is my of helping to clear my mind so when I run I have just that to think about
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Good to know! I am waiting for the Rock n Roll Marathon to send out their massage deals. I want to do one after my marathon too.