Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Long exercise purely to eat more?

JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I do this alot ill walk 10-15 miles just so i can eat more, Lots more with that many miles.

Never really considered if this is normal or healthy or not. Anyone else do this? Sometimes i just really like to eat bulk food instead of 1200 calories. And i like walking so why not really. -shrugs- Been working for me so far. Kind of like planned indulging

Anyone know if this could be bad for me going from 1200 to closer to 2,000-2500 with walking some days at random.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Exercise bulimia is a thing (people who exercise a lot to burn off calories) and it can be damaging, but just being active isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Is it interfering with other parts of your life? Is it putting you at risk for injury or causing you to skip appropriate rest days?

I would just look at where it fit with the rest of my life. There is nothing inherently wrong with increasing your TDEE.

Nah i just do it sometimes when i feel like binge eating ill walk extra long to get the calories for an extra meal. Havent been working so had alot of free time. I did just get a new job as a mover though so all that walking leg strength is going to work out well for me anyway lol.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    I like to only eat back half of the calories I burn. Either way as long as it's manageable it sounds healthy. The word "binge" is concerning, but I don't think you meant it like that.
  • JaydedMiss
    coleg04 wrote: »
    I like to only eat back half of the calories I burn. Either way as long as it's manageable it sounds healthy. The word "binge" is concerning, but I don't think you meant it like that.

yeah i should have said indulge
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Personally I wouldn't walk that much just to earn 800 cals more for the day.

There is nothing wrong with the distance or the walking per se, but I would look at my calorie goal, macros, micros and see where I could find the calories and foods that would satiate me.

Can you change your goal for a lower loss per week?

I would also look for something that gave be a higher calorie burn per hour than walking. I don't have the inclination or time to walk that amount.

If it suits you long term, into maintenance and beyond, fine, carry on. Personally I would increase my calorie goal, my daily activity level, find a higher burning exercise, and learn to manage my portion sizes.

Cheers, h.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I get it, lol. I typically spend 1.5 hour on my exercise bike, and might go for a 3.5 mile walk too (when it's nice out. Hasn't really happened lately). I need the extra calories.

However, I agree that some days it seems to make me much hungrier than the calories I gain from it.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    I do this, initially it was just to lose weight but now technically I should be at maintenance. I have decided, I want to eat chocolate etc. again so I make sure I have more than enough cals to eat whatever the hell I like at night
  • JaydedMiss
    miratps wrote: »
    I do this, initially it was just to lose weight but now technically I should be at maintenance. I have decided, I want to eat chocolate etc. again so I make sure I have more than enough cals to eat whatever the hell I like at night

Cool so its semi normal im hearing as long as it doesnt effect my life. I started as a way to increase my defecit, And ensure i had enough calories for a few beers a week. Maybe a pizza or something. I love pizza ;D
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Cool so its semi normal im hearing as long as it doesnt effect my life. I started as a way to increase my defecit, And ensure i had enough calories for a few beers a week. Maybe a pizza or something. I love pizza ;D

For me that's satisfying. Having that fear of logging something like a whole pizza or something pretty big but realising you still have plenty of room for something else big and nasty...... especially if you get the 'low cal' pizza options
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I do the same thing sometimes. Occasionally I like to indulge at an all you can eat fish fry with my family or some other meal or outing where I know I'm gonna eat way more than my allotted 1200 calories.
    If I know I'm going out, I'll shave off less calories the days leading up to it (do 1000-1100 per day) and also do an extra work out.

I don't see it as a problem unless you let it control your life.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

For me that's satisfying. Having that fear of logging something like a whole pizza or something pretty big but realising you still have plenty of room for something else big and nasty...... especially if you get the 'low cal' pizza options

A thin crust pizza (decent size) from the store is under 800 calories. Sucks if you only have 1200 a day, But super doable if you burn a few hundred off walkign for another m eal in your day. Yum. I don't really get any guilt over it. Just work to make it fit :p Helps that i walk 4 miles just to buy it from the store when i want it :)
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    I do it from time to time too, also i will sometimes bank my macros so i can eat more of one thing in a larger portion in a given week.

Idk if its unhealthy or a problem but i know i love it and haven't had any issues or set backs