Eating Bacon...good or bad on a diet

Replies

• bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    i'll take bacon flavored everything over pumpkin spice flavored everything any day of the week

Here in Texas there's a grocery store called HEB that just recently came out with something called "Hayride Bacon". It's thick cut bacon with pumpkin and cinnamon spices, it's really good. 90 cals/slice.

• bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    mij140 wrote: »
    If eating bacon is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Everything in moderation. I switched to turkey bacon. 30 calories a slice.

I did the same thing to save on calories. I really like the uncured stuff from Costco. That said, the rest of my family still eats their pork bacon. They call my turkey bacon "fake." :smiley:

Turkey "bacon" has just about the same calories as center cut pork bacon. Not sure why people think turkey fakeon is somehow lower in calories or "healthier".

Turkey bacon is great because the taste/texture really makes me cut down on the portion sizes while almost but not quite erasing my bacon craving.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    IIFYM = Good, pass the bacon please!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    bkbirge wrote: »
    i'll take bacon flavored everything over pumpkin spice flavored everything any day of the week

Here in Texas there's a grocery store called HEB that just recently came out with something called "Hayride Bacon". It's thick cut bacon with pumpkin and cinnamon spices, it's really good. 90 cals/slice.

i think i just threw up a little...you can have it (but i'm not a pumpkin spice fan and that would be a ruination of good bacon to me
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    UNCURED bacon is fine, as are fried eggs (as long as you're using coconut oil)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I am literally eating bacon right now

I just finished mine. :blissfulgrin:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Pumpkin spice (or more correctly pumpkin pie spice)=cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice, or some combination thereof. I like all of those spices in the right dish (including pumpkin pie), but not on everything (and certainly not in coffee personally), so agree they are overused. I probably wouldn't use them on bacon (although am interested in the experiment, I suppose), and I personally make pumpkin and other winter squashes much more often without using those spices (plain roasted or in a spicy (as in hot) dish). That said, I think the main problem with "pumpkin spice" is that it often tastes kind of fake and perhaps does not really use the relevant spices. Any X-flavored item can have that problem (including bacon flavored, I'd guess).

I also am not personally a fan of bacon in sweet dishes (or chocolate) as currently seems to be popular. On the other hand, bacon with maple syrup on it, yum.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    As everyone has said, calories matter most.

As a lower calorie suggestion, try turkey bacon.

Depending on the bacon, I have found some regular bacon with just about the same calories as turkey bacon.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yes, eat bacon when on a diet. Eat it when not on a diet. The only difference is how much you eat, as others have said.

I really love to make a low carb chili with hamburger, sausage, bacon, zucchini, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and spices.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    @dannijordan30 is that bacon still in the fridge? :p

Will be in my belly soon !
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Serious question for the bacon eaters...

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

Actually, if you look at the studies and not articles, your risk goes up by a pretty infinitesimal amount...overall risk is multiplied by 1.2% or something like that...

That said, I only eat bacon probably a couple of times in a given month...usually a random Saturday or Sunday...I've never quite understood the obsession myself. I'd actually much prefer some good breakfast sausage...but nobody in my family seems to like that unless we're camping for some reason.

I get the bacon love (though breakfast sausage is delicious, too, I agree. ) It's the bacon-flavored-everything craze that bothers me.

Heh, I always feel grinchy in these threads because although I like bacon fine (it's good in various dishes and I might have it for breakfast once a month or so) I don't get the enormous love, as if it's the best of all possible foods. It's nice enough but IMO overrated, and I'd prefer a really good pork chop. But I know that's heresy. ;-)

This is how I feel about all the peanut butter threads. :laugh:

Same here. Peanut butter is something I rarely eat..I like it okay, but I'd rather eat other things. Like bacon..haha.
    But, to be fair, I honestly don't eat bacon that often either, so..
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    bkbirge wrote: »

i think i just threw up a little...you can have it (but i'm not a pumpkin spice fan and that would be a ruination of good bacon to me

I like pumpkin spice, but even for me that's a little much. I think everyone got a little carried away with the pumpkin spice this year.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Can you guys just stop this madness!!!

I don't eat meat anymore and I'm getting hungry for bacon!

hummm I think bac o's are vegetarian:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

They are -- no animal products at all in them (they're soy-based).
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

They are -- no animal products at all in them (they're soy-based).

Thanks I will get some processed fake bacon bac o's and put it on my bad for me white starchy potato:)

Take that bacon lovers:) I can have my non bacon bacon and eat it too:).

Carry on then.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »
    <<snip>>

The bacon I use lists 200 calories per 50 grams (2 slices), so that's what I log. That matches your data for raw uncooked bacon (and I do weigh the slices not just count them). Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, so maybe they have to report the nutritional information that way? I noticed one package that listed two sets of values - one for raw weight and one for cooked. But I still use the raw weight data because I'd never be able to be sure that I drained off the same amount of fat as they did.

Yet another reason to move to Canada! Canadians are much smarter.

Here is a sampling of the bacon trickery practiced in the U.S. I guess if you read carefully, some packages may say "as prepared." I don't have any packages in the house right now to check.

wxffqgs0au4e.jpg

Do canadian's even have real bacon?

200w.gif