• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 2 mile run, 25 min strength, some other walking
    Dec 2 - 3 mile walk, 3.5 mi run
    Dec 3 - 5 mile run, 1.5 mile walk
    Dec 4 - 1.5 mi run, 15 min pilates/strength
    Dec 5 - 20 min light cardio inside, 1 mi run
    Dec 6 - 30 min strength training, 4 mi run (later)

Goal: 17/60 running miles only

I also set a goal this month of 93,000 fitbit steps per week and I got 103,000 last week. And a goal of 6 hours strength training/pilates - Garmin says I'm 20% on that, about 70 mins done so far.
  • sandsarita
    sandsarita Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am joining in. True goal is 3-4 runs per week. Hope total to be about 30 miles minimum. Max of 40. Will try and do a ticket in a bit

exercise.png

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    I set out for 8k on grass/trail at the local park just to give my joints a bit of an easier time ...

I forgot to say that after yesterdays long run with lots of hills I started to get some minor knee pain (right side) in the evening, (didn't notice it on the run). When I woke up this morning it was quite painful when I knelt on it, with the pain behind the knee cap - on looking it up symptoms they seem to match what's commonly referred to as runners knee.

I have some KT tape that I ordered when I had some ankle issues in September (but arrived after my ankle had healed up fine) so decided to give that a go before heading out, as my usual yoga/stretching routine did nothing to ease the discomfort. I found some videos on rocktape.co.uk of how to tape up (even though I got some cheap unbranded stuff) and have to say it was like magic. Instantly my knee was better - if anything it made my other knee hurt just by comparison (purely psychosomatic I'm sure!). Went through the run without feeling it at all and kept it on since and knee feels great. I swear my form was better also - I tend to strike the ground with my foot noticeably more angled on the right side, (angled so land right on outside of foot with foot pointing ever so slightly away from body). Today my strikes felt much more balanced - I'm due a visit to the running shop when I get paid on the 15th so will definitely see if the gait analysis matches my experience.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone thinking about using KT tape but not sure.

@7lenny7 - you'll have to share your experiences when your hydration vest arrives. I hate running with bottles and strangely have to work hard to keep my form if I'm carrying two (one is OK) so planning to invest in a hydration solution of some kind, but haven't started researching yet.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe Be careful with that... sounds like you might have an IT band issue. Better to rest a few days than to get injured and be out of commission for weeks.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. After my ankle injury a few months back I'm super conscious of any minor niggles. Even though I was only out of action two weeks, I absolutely hated it so it's probably that I'm overly sensitive to anything feeling different to how it does usually. Like I say, no pain at all since I put the tape on this morning, (even if I press on the area). So much so, I completely forgot about it which is why I didn't mention in original post. I've an easy day tomorrow anyway so will see how it is on Thursday.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - yes, that's exactly what I was thinking ... I'm tired. I will just do 1 mile tomorrow for streak! Then hopefully be rested up for Thursday!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @dkabambe Good luck with the knee. If you have pain while running, stop, rest a couple days, then try again. Repeat process as needed :) I have a pain left of my right kneecap since 2 Sundays ago when I kneeled on a hard floor then stood back up. The pain has come and gone, and never bothered me while running. I've felt it today off and on moving about my office. No clue what's up with that....
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2 miles
    12/2 - 35 min elliptical (hills), weight machines
    12/3 - rest (too busy with kids' bday party!)
    12/4 - 4.32 miles
    12/5 - 35 min elliptical (hills), weight machines
    12/6 - 4.21 miles

Conpleted: 12.73 miles/ 40 miles (31%)
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    It is now 30 mins from go-time and I am not feeling it at all. I woke up this morning with a cramped up glute and I stretched it and felt fine all day but the last hour it's started to kill me. And my LEFT knee has started to throb and that knee has been fine. This chair is killing me and I probably would feel fine after being UP an hour but I don't have an hour to be up and feel better. Aargh. At this point, I'm probably driving home, putting on the running clothes and just seeing how it goes. At least 1 mile for the streak but I'll be close to home if that's all I want to do. I'm not feeling getting out on the trail and having a crappy run with an audience. LOL
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Got in 7 humid miles this afternoon as I ended up taking a rest day yesterday and went out mid-day today after it rained.

Still not sure what to race next for a full marathon, and I'm leaning towards the Austin Marathon February 19th, but the more I read, the more I come across that to peak, you really can't race more than 2 marathon's each year and should give yourself a full 6 months in between. With both a planned full ironman (likely August), and a fall marathon (hopefully NYC, but more likely Marine Corps as I noticed the NYC qualifying window ends this month, so I'll need to take the lottery route), I'm thinking it might make sense to just plan for a spring marathon to give me an extra month of downtime before starting a new marathon cycle. Regardless, I'll probably drop in a few shorter 5k-Half races for the next month or three to help me focus more on speed.

12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - 4 miles (warmup + 5K race)
    12/6 - 7 miles

Total: 23 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 157 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5 - 10:21:27 (3:38:20 marathon time)
    Chase the Dreidel 5K - Dec 4 - 18:13

@karllundy - Race was near downtown St. Pete. Got some warmer weather the past few days, and with a starting time of 4PM, it was 81 degrees and a bit humid. Looking forward to running in more temperate conditions though in the next month or three.

@stoshew71 - Good luck with your impending RCM taper (as I hope all is OK). Looks like a much more favorable forecast vs. last year for a BQ, although getting used to the cold-weather lung-burning sensation can take a few practice runs and you'll definitely need more carbs during the carbo-load along with some clothes to shed during the race.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just a quick recovery run tonight to make up for not getting out there last night. I had a banging headache, the sort that makes you feel sick, so went to bed early instead. The headache hasn't cleared, but running helped briefly and I seem to be staving off a full-blown migraine. I haven't had one in years so I'll be annoyed if that's what it turns into.

Also, filled out the forms and paid up to become an official member of a running club. Exciting! They already have me down for a couple of the team races in the new year, can't wait! :smiley:

December Running Challenge

2nd - 3.06 miles
    3rd - 11.02 miles
    6th - 3.04 miles

MTD - 17.12/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Redhouse6758
    Redhouse6758 Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Forgot to post this last night, I has a session with the trainer and did 3.40 miles @ pace of 14:24 in 49 min on the treadmill. Slow and steady.
    exercise.png
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia No I don't play. I had probably half a year around the 5th grade.

Since returning to running is slower than anticipated, I need an outlet. So I figure there's pay off in a violin, and the dang thing keeps calling to me this time of year every year for the last 3-4. Someone played it in church 2 weeks ago and I it was done. I had to get moving on it!

I wanna be a concert violinist! We saw the trans sIberian orchestra and I was in agony longing for the violin, that should have been me kinda thing, last year. I refused to go this year because I couldn't take it again. Haha! Really, that was my first pick as a kid, professional violinist. We just moved to often to stay in it. Fate saved it for my non running slump.

I love the Trans Siberian Orchestra, they must have been amazing to see live! I think it's great you're taking up the violin. My sister is learning to play the trumpet and just joined her local New Horizons Band for free lessons. She loves it. I hope you enjoy your violin just as much.

Date Km Today - Km for Dec.
    12/1 6.17 - 6.17
    12/4 5.77 - 11.94
    12/6 5.34 - 17.28
    =======
    Goal 75 km

My ticker isn't displaying properly so I'm not posting it.

Upcoming Races:
    Resolution Run 5km - 12/31
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Forgot to congratulate you yesterday on your runniversary! You should be proud of how far you have progressed in your running. I consider my own runnniversary Mother's Day each year since my first 5k was a Mother's Day 5k in Barrington, IL in 2011. It was fun to go back to the same race last year and show myself how much I have improved since then. I also think it's appropriate that it's a Mother's Day race as my mom was the big push to get me start running in the first place.

@ddmom0811 Ouch! Hope it doesn't take your hands and shins too long to recover. Impressed you finished the run!

@7lenny7 Thanks for the write-up about replacing shoes. I knew most of that information, but not a lot about the importance of rotating shoes. I don't currently do that except for the fact that I never use my running shoes for anything but running as to not wear them down faster. I'll probably by another pair or two of shoes after Christmas to start rotating. I actually usually know when it's time to buy another pair of shoes because my feet will start consistently falling asleep after a few miles on every run. Weird, but apparently that's a tell-tale sign for some people (but not many I've personally known).

@dkabambe Unfortunately, I suffer from runner's knee in my right knee and I have found that while KT tape and rest definitely help to ease the immediate pain, consistently doing the exercises I received from my PT is what actually helps the condition to get better. The way that runner's knee was explained to me is that running strengthens the muscles on one side of your knee, pulling the knee cap over and causing pain. The point of the exercises is to strengthen the muscles on the other side of your knee and elsewhere in your leg to reduce the imbalance. I can send you the exercises if you would like but I would also recommend getting a professional opinion to make sure that's definitely what is wrong.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew +lifting
    12/2: 2 miles
    12/3: 8 miles with the Saturday crew
    12/4: 5.3 miles on trails +lifting
    12/5: 6 miles
    12/6: 2 miles + lifting

Two easy Run Streak miles on the treadmill today after my lifting sesh. I've found from my last couple lifting outings that doing a bit of a run right after -- easy, not like intervals last Tuesday -- has decreased the severity of my DOMS, so I'm trying to piggyback them.

Lifting has been fun. It's been a week officially, and it's been very revealing to see what parts of me are strong that I wouldn't have thought and weak that I wouldn't have thought. My arms/shoulders are stronger than I thought they were, and my hamstrings are much weaker than I would have guessed. But hey! My core is just as weak as I would have ever estimated! ;)

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My Running coach/Aunt just told me to slow down. She wants me running 10:40 pace on my long runs, the 10:20 I ran on Saturday was faster than she wants.....ugh...I know it's good having a trainer, but man, I'm going to have to get used to running slower and having someone call me on it when I go too fast.