The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just turned 36 last month, been on MFP off and on since April 2015. I've lost 42 lbs but still have around 20 lbs to get to a normal BMI. Feel free to add me!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    43 here
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 51 you can add me
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    45 female; mom of 2; check out my progress photos in my profile. The pics are over the past 5.5 months.
  • heidibutterfly
    heidibutterfly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hitting the big 4-0 next year..please add me x
  • bigrickw1071
    bigrickw1071 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    45 here...feel free to add me
  • lowcarbog
    lowcarbog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    41 here, well for 14 more days at least! Kind of tragic! I'm looking forward to this thread, nice having so many peers to help out with this journey!
  • RxDreamer2
    RxDreamer2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for aching knees?
    -had surgery in May
    -have arthritis (ack that sounds old)
    -use knee sleeve/supports daily at Crossfit
    -use Salanpos (I smell like a locker room)
    -don't squat below 90 any longer...yet ;)
    -take glucosamine RSP supplement
    -wear awesome running shoes
    Anything I'm missing here that could help with knee pain???
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »
    -had surgery in May

Are you using flat shoes (e.g.: squat shoes) for your squats and other weight lifting? Running shoes (unless zero-drop) will change your geometry a little putting some extra force forward, which may be felt in your knee, and the extra cushioning from a running shoe can provide some odd foot rolling which may also load the knees with some odd dynamics. Just a thought...
  • RxDreamer2
    edited December 2016
    Options
    -had surgery in May

Are you using flat shoes (e.g.: squat shoes) for your squats and other weight lifting? Running shoes (unless zero-drop) will change your geometry a little putting some extra force forward, which may be felt in your knee, and the extra cushioning from a running shoe can provide some odd foot rolling which may also load the knees with some odd dynamics. Just a thought...

No! I'm not! I never thought of that. I hadn't want to invest in Nanos or other lifting shoes bc I thought they'd do more harm than good. I never thought of that. And yes....my feet do shift inside my shoes during lifts.
    Thank you so much! I knew someone on here would have some wisdom.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    -had surgery in May

No! I'm not! I never thought of that. I hadn't want to invest in Nanos or other lifting shoes bc I thought they'd do more harm than good. I never thought of that. And yes....my feet do shift inside my shoes during lifts.

You could prolly try a flat shoe before investing (like if you've got some Converse All-Stars (Chuck Taylors) or Vans or something to see if it helps. Also, and I'm sorry that I don't have a link to a resource, my understanding is that in knee rehab (especially rehab of patellofemoral joint and lateral ligaments), depth > load ... meaning that working through a full range of motion with lighter weight and good form (i.e.: get your depth) is a better rehab movement than a partial squat with heavier weight.

If you're shifting in your shoes, maybe getting naked (barefoot) would help reduce that shifting so that your knee might have a chance to track properly ??
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
  • RxDreamer2
    Options
    -had surgery in May

You could prolly try a flat shoe before investing (like if you've got some Converse All-Stars (Chuck Taylors) or Vans or something to see if it helps. Also, and I'm sorry that I don't have a link to a resource, my understanding is that in knee rehab (especially rehab of patellofemoral joint and lateral ligaments), depth > load ... meaning that working through a full range of motion with lighter weight and good form (i.e.: get your depth) is a better rehab movement than a partial squat with heavier weight.

If you're shifting in your shoes, maybe getting naked (barefoot) would help reduce that shifting so that your knee might have a chance to track properly ??

I'm actually doing the partial load. Still working on breaking 90 without pain so the loads for squats are fairly light. I don't have any of those shoes but have a home gym so I will try "naked" tonight. I just won't be dropping the weights! Lol!!!