The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I just turned 36 last month, been on MFP off and on since April 2015. I've lost 42 lbs but still have around 20 lbs to get to a normal BMI. Feel free to add me!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    43 here
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Hi, I am 51 you can add me
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    45 female; mom of 2; check out my progress photos in my profile. The pics are over the past 5.5 months.
  • heidibutterfly
    heidibutterfly Posts: 37 Member
    hitting the big 4-0 next year..please add me x
  • bigrickw1071
    bigrickw1071 Posts: 2 Member
    45 here...feel free to add me
  • lowcarbog
    lowcarbog Posts: 42 Member
    41 here, well for 14 more days at least! Kind of tragic! I'm looking forward to this thread, nice having so many peers to help out with this journey!
  • RxDreamer2
    RxDreamer2 Posts: 30 Member
    Any suggestions for aching knees?
    -had surgery in May
    -have arthritis (ack that sounds old)
    -use knee sleeve/supports daily at Crossfit
    -use Salanpos (I smell like a locker room)
    -don't squat below 90 any longer...yet ;)
    -take glucosamine RSP supplement
    -wear awesome running shoes
    Anything I'm missing here that could help with knee pain???
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »
    -had surgery in May

Are you using flat shoes (e.g.: squat shoes) for your squats and other weight lifting? Running shoes (unless zero-drop) will change your geometry a little putting some extra force forward, which may be felt in your knee, and the extra cushioning from a running shoe can provide some odd foot rolling which may also load the knees with some odd dynamics. Just a thought...
  • RxDreamer2
    edited December 2016
    -had surgery in May

Are you using flat shoes (e.g.: squat shoes) for your squats and other weight lifting? Running shoes (unless zero-drop) will change your geometry a little putting some extra force forward, which may be felt in your knee, and the extra cushioning from a running shoe can provide some odd foot rolling which may also load the knees with some odd dynamics. Just a thought...

No! I'm not! I never thought of that. I hadn't want to invest in Nanos or other lifting shoes bc I thought they'd do more harm than good. I never thought of that. And yes....my feet do shift inside my shoes during lifts.
    Thank you so much! I knew someone on here would have some wisdom.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited December 2016
    -had surgery in May

No! I'm not! I never thought of that. I hadn't want to invest in Nanos or other lifting shoes bc I thought they'd do more harm than good. I never thought of that. And yes....my feet do shift inside my shoes during lifts.

You could prolly try a flat shoe before investing (like if you've got some Converse All-Stars (Chuck Taylors) or Vans or something to see if it helps. Also, and I'm sorry that I don't have a link to a resource, my understanding is that in knee rehab (especially rehab of patellofemoral joint and lateral ligaments), depth > load ... meaning that working through a full range of motion with lighter weight and good form (i.e.: get your depth) is a better rehab movement than a partial squat with heavier weight.

If you're shifting in your shoes, maybe getting naked (barefoot) would help reduce that shifting so that your knee might have a chance to track properly ??
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Hello everyone
  • RxDreamer2
    -had surgery in May

You could prolly try a flat shoe before investing (like if you've got some Converse All-Stars (Chuck Taylors) or Vans or something to see if it helps. Also, and I'm sorry that I don't have a link to a resource, my understanding is that in knee rehab (especially rehab of patellofemoral joint and lateral ligaments), depth > load ... meaning that working through a full range of motion with lighter weight and good form (i.e.: get your depth) is a better rehab movement than a partial squat with heavier weight.

If you're shifting in your shoes, maybe getting naked (barefoot) would help reduce that shifting so that your knee might have a chance to track properly ??

I'm actually doing the partial load. Still working on breaking 90 without pain so the loads for squats are fairly light. I don't have any of those shoes but have a home gym so I will try "naked" tonight. I just won't be dropping the weights! Lol!!!