• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Jezreel12 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    Currently, I'm 126 lbs at 5"4. I'm cutting to 116 lbs, hoping that my bodyfatpercentage will be low enough for a flat stomach.
    How much proteine should I eat to retain my muscles? Is 90-100g proteine enough?
    I think 100g of protein is close enough for you, although the preferred way is to keep it 1 gram per pound so that would be 126 grams of protein. But you shouldn't be worried though. 100 grams is still great ! B)

I thought it was 1 g protein per 1 pound of lean mass.
    I go by my whole body weight to calculate how much protein is needed for muscle build up and it's always better to do more than less when it comes to protein since protein is what helps the muscles to heal after a workout also for your body change composition.

Studies have shown that .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass is adequate for building lean mass.

0.8-1.2g is the range recommended.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm 126 lbs at 5"4. I'm cutting to 116 lbs, hoping that my bodyfatpercentage will be low enough for a flat stomach.
    How much proteine should I eat to retain my muscles? Is 90-100g proteine enough?
    I think 100g of protein is close enough for you, although the preferred way is to keep it 1 gram per pound so that would be 126 grams of protein. But you shouldn't be worried though. 100 grams is still great ! B)

I go by my whole body weight to calculate how much protein is needed for muscle build up and it's always better to do more than less when it comes to protein since protein is what helps the muscles to heal after a workout also for your body change composition.

Studies have shown that .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass is adequate for building lean mass.

Correct. The person I quoted was doing it by body weight rather than lean mass, I like to quote the low suggestion as a starting point.
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1g protein per lean body mass, while having a calorie deficit, what is going to happen to your muscles? Will you be able to improve your muscles and get more muscle mass?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you eat 1g protein per lean body mass, while having a calorie deficit, what is going to happen to your muscles? Will you be able to improve your muscles and get more muscle mass?

Depends on how big your deficit is, where you are starting from and if you are doing a progressive overload program (lifting heavy or body weight).

If you are a beginner lifter, obese or eating a small deficit you can theoretically gain muscle but it won't be a lot and it will be slow.

If you are lifting heavy the protein will at least help you maintain your muscle mass but it really does depend on your deficit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

No, but it is more likely that you will retain muscle mass and a positive nitrogen balance. As we lose weight we lose a combination of muscle, fat, and water.

You consuming adequate protein and performing resistance training during a calorie deficit you are more likely to repair atrophied muscles and minimize muscle catabolization. So it's certainly important regardless.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

No, but it is more likely that you will retain muscle mass and a positive nitrogen balance. As we lose weight we lose a combination of muscle, fat, and water.

You consuming adequate protein and performing resistance training during a calorie deficit you are more likely to repair atrophied muscles and minimize muscle catabolization. So it's certainly important regardless.

There are caveats though. Rank beginners to lifting, and the obese absolutely can build muscle mass while on a deficit, and running progressive lifting, assuming that amino intake is adequate to allow for such. It amuses me that people keep leaving this out, because most of the questions about muscular hypertrophy and fat loss here tend to come from people who are one or (more often) both of those.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

There are caveats though. Rank beginners to lifting, and the obese absolutely can build muscle mass while on a deficit, and running progressive lifting, assuming that amino intake is adequate to allow for such. It amuses me that people keep leaving this out, because most of the questions about muscular hypertrophy and fat loss here tend to come from people who are one or (more often) both of those.

I mentioned that in a post right above hers ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I mentioned that in a post right above hers ;)

Holy crap, how did I not see that? Thanks, I'm apparently having one of those days.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Correct. The person I quoted was doing it by body weight rather than lean mass, I like to quote the low suggestion as a starting point.

Check what you actually wrote ;)
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Hello! I was looking to get some advice on calorie and macro suggestions, I am 5'8 I weigh 157.. my goal weight is to get down to 145-147 ish.. I'm looking to lose my love handles and burn fat basically cut down... I go to the gym 5-6 days a week I do upper body about 3 times a week 2 HIIT cardio sessions a week and 1 low intensity session a week and 2 leg and booty days a week.. I started eating really healthy and all I drink a day is anywhere from 50-to over 100 ounces of water a day.. I'm a DSP working so I take care of people who have disabilities so my job isn't " too active ". Any suggestions on what my macros and calorie intake should look like? For someone who's trying to cut down and then do a lean bulk later on my goal is to prep for a fitness modeling photography shoot to start up a portfolio so I have a lot of work to do.
    1357i7uh48fs.jpg
    e6vc6bixmfrh.jpg

You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about .8 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!
    You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about .8 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

• k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The sponge analogy gets me every time ..... it's fab.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Check what you actually wrote ;)

I said .8g per pound of lean body mass...what am I missing?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hello! I was looking to get some advice on calorie and macro suggestions, I am 5'8 I weigh 157.. my goal weight is to get down to 145-147 ish.. I'm looking to lose my love handles and burn fat basically cut down... I go to the gym 5-6 days a week I do upper body about 3 times a week 2 HIIT cardio sessions a week and 1 low intensity session a week and 2 leg and booty days a week.. I started eating really healthy and all I drink a day is anywhere from 50-to over 100 ounces of water a day.. I'm a DSP working so I take care of people who have disabilities so my job isn't " too active ". Any suggestions on what my macros and calorie intake should look like? For someone who's trying to cut down and then do a lean bulk later on my goal is to prep for a fitness modeling photography shoot to start up a portfolio so I have a lot of work to do.
    1357i7uh48fs.jpg
    e6vc6bixmfrh.jpg

Based on your stats and pictures maybe you want to consider recomposition rather than losing more weight. I can't run your numbers from my phone, but I can do it tonight when I get home.
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Starting with the stats:
    Male age 48
    Height 5'5"
    Weight 130 lbs (was 150 lbs on May 2015, and came down to 130 lbs in January 2016).

Body fat estimate: Roughly navy method using waist and neck diameter gives 18-19% body fat. Thus lean body mass is around 100-105 lbs.

Macros: My diet is vegan and I usually have 60 carb/25 fat/15 protein. In terms of protein, I'm probably around 0.5-0.6 g per lb of lean body mass.

My weight is good but am skinny fat with a considerable amount around abdomen. So how to get rid of it.

Some constraints: Shoulder injury (frozen shoulder) on left shoulder. This limits upper body strength training to a considerable degree. Recovery from this will take a few months. Any further injuries can set this recovery process back.

Have been doing mainly cardio. I run/walk/jog on average 4-5 days a week.

Any help on how to get rid of this fat will be most appreciated!

• usmcmp
    Options
    1357i7uh48fs.jpg
    e6vc6bixmfrh.jpg

Based on your stats and pictures maybe you want to consider recomposition rather than losing more weight. I can't run your numbers from my phone, but I can do it tonight when I get home.

@JocelynDeshane If you want to lose more weight I would go with 1600 calories with 100-120 grams of protein. Let fat and carbs be whatever helps you stick to it. You said you go to the gym and do various exercises, but are you following a program? If you're making it up as you go I highly suggest picking a program to follow instead.
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    rprr wrote: »
    My weight is good but am skinny fat with a considerable amount around abdomen. So how to get rid of it.

You fix this by gaining muscle. I know you say you have injuries, but you should be getting some sort of rehab for the shoulder that would be considered a form of resistance training. There are other upper body things you can do that don't require weights initially and lots of lower body things you can do that won't impact the shoulder.

Doing more cardio will not get you there.

@usmcmp -- Thanks very much. I start rehab on my frozen shoulder next week. I did post in a separate thread and received some good advice on how to deal with this. Pretty much, it looks like patience seems to be the key.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm just giving this a bump.

tumblr_n0gkbvMkfq1qk08n1o2_r1_500.gif