Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• django_rheinhardt
    Options
    so I competed (and won) my gym's weight loss challenge. When I first started, I went on a Paleo diet. Which is basically fruits, veggies, meat, and no carbs. In 1 week, I lost 10 pounds. On my last week of my weight loss challenge, I drank a meal replacement shake for lunch and dinner. Not that I recommend this method, but the ultimate goal was to maintain my calorie intake on foods that I can control and are not heavy. Basically, you want to avoid gaining food/water weight during this time. And it is entirely possible to eat healthy and gain food weight. On my last day, I spent about 3 hours in the sauna. It was miserable, but I lost 5 pounds in those 3 hours. Obviously, as soon as my weigh-in was over, I drank tons of water. Of course, I also avoided eating too much sodium. These are some quick things you can do without going under on your calories.

Note, these are not things I recommend over long term, but for a day or two, you should be fine.

As for your bloating, my guess is that you have a food allergy. People could be allergic to legumes, dairy, fructans (fructose chain with glucose such as wheat and certain common veggies), fructose, or artificial sweeteners. Some things can be tested by an allergist or gastroenterologist. www.alcat.com has a test that can test 450 food allergies. Unfortunately, there are some foods that can't be tested. you may have to undergo trial and error to figure it out.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet

Please point out in my comment where I mentioned junk food.

"go back to old habits" "quit dieting" etc? Kind of implies that. Otherwise Im not sure why it would matter. You wouldnt likely hold tons of salt if you eat 3000 calories in vegetables and fruit. However 1200 in salty junk food could do that to you. Otherwise I find it irrelevant.

The salt from the junk food would level itself out in a day or so. Those extra calories, on the other hand, would take the better part of four days to burn off, assuming a 500 calorie per day deficit. (1800 calorie difference between the 1200 of "salty junk food" and the 3000 of veggies).

We are talking about water weight and that's not true at all. I have had 5lbs of water stay on for four days or more
  • Verity1111
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I don't have any input on the water weight. Though, since this is a contest I assume you will be weighed wearing clothes? Get out your kitchen scale and start weighing your clothes to find your lightest outfit. Clothes this time of year can easily add ten pounds. If you are really desperate cutting your hair may even make a difference.
    If you don't win check out Freecycle. People post things they are looking for or trying to git rid of all for free. If you have it in your area, somebody surely has an old tree and decorations they would love to get rid of but can't bring themselves to toss in the trash.

lol we weigh in the nude at home and no one sees it.

Then just tell them that you hit the goal, they're not gonna know if they aren't there

We need to take a photo of our feet
  • Verity1111
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet

Please point out in my comment where I mentioned junk food.

"go back to old habits" "quit dieting" etc? Kind of implies that. Otherwise Im not sure why it would matter. You wouldnt likely hold tons of salt if you eat 3000 calories in vegetables and fruit. However 1200 in salty junk food could do that to you. Otherwise I find it irrelevant.

No, it doesn't. It implies going back to the old habits that made *me* overweight. While everyone is overweight because they eat more calories than they burn, that does not mean that everyone who had a large loss the first week of their diets did so because they got those extra calories via food that you consider junk. And yes, I did lost a bunch of water weight by merely cutting down my portion sizes of foods that aren't junk in your book. It isn't against the laws of nature. My old habits merely involved portion sizes that were too large for the calorie intake I needed. That's it. I wasn't fat because I ate what you think was a bunch of "salty junk food". My kitchen contained plenty of fruit, veggies, proteins, etc. Too many in fact. Your assumption in this case is indeed incorrect.

but this was my post lol so it was silly to post if it wasnt related. Im discussing water weight and water weight loss not fat
  • Verity1111
    Options
    so I competed (and won) my gym's weight loss challenge. When I first started, I went on a Paleo diet. Which is basically fruits, veggies, meat, and no carbs. In 1 week, I lost 10 pounds. On my last week of my weight loss challenge, I drank a meal replacement shake for lunch and dinner. Not that I recommend this method, but the ultimate goal was to maintain my calorie intake on foods that I can control and are not heavy. Basically, you want to avoid gaining food/water weight during this time. And it is entirely possible to eat healthy and gain food weight. On my last day, I spent about 3 hours in the sauna. It was miserable, but I lost 5 pounds in those 3 hours. Obviously, as soon as my weigh-in was over, I drank tons of water. Of course, I also avoided eating too much sodium. These are some quick things you can do without going under on your calories.

Note, these are not things I recommend over long term, but for a day or two, you should be fine.

As for your bloating, my guess is that you have a food allergy. People could be allergic to legumes, dairy, fructans (fructose chain with glucose such as wheat and certain common veggies), fructose, or artificial sweeteners. Some things can be tested by an allergist or gastroenterologist. www.alcat.com has a test that can test 450 food allergies. Unfortunately, there are some foods that can't be tested. you may have to undergo trial and error to figure it out.

I actually have an appointment with a GI in January
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is very weird.

Personally would of hit the cheapo shops with the $10 entry fee and bought decorations with that rather than using it to enter a contest - but I guess it is too late to put forward that idea?

uh I joined months ago. Finacial situations don't stay the same. We had a tree it was destroyed. This is in no way weird. And trees are minimum $40 not $10. Plus gifts? $200 will do a lot more than my $10
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And don't weigh after a shower, really thick hair can hold onto a lot of water weight :lol:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.

Aren't vegetables high in carbs? Otherwise that was pretty much the plan. Vegetables with egg and a little cheese plus the occasiona fruit.

Depends on the vegetables. Fibrous vegetables aren't very high carb.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually considering a hair cut Lol. Or balloons on my hair? lmso. Who knows?
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.

Aren't vegetables high in carbs? Otherwise that was pretty much the plan. Vegetables with egg and a little cheese plus the occasiona fruit.

Well this was my list:

Spinach and arugala
    green onion
    yellow onion
    avocado
    lime
    raspberries
    green apples
    Deli cheese x 2
    Smart Cups
    Hard Boiled eggs for salad
    low calorie dressing
    Hint water
    V8 Spicy
    Vegetable broth
    baby carrots
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    celery
    cremini mushrooms? or jarred mushrooms
    gravy (look for low sodium)
    parmesan

Not planning on eating anything not on it. Should I cut something out? lol
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I once lost 5-6 lbs overnight. I had norovirus. I don't recommend it as a weight loss solution but it did drop the weight. I couldn't really eat for a few days afterward either.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I once lost 5-6 lbs overnight. I had norovirus. I don't recommend it as a weight loss solution but it did drop the weight. I couldn't really eat for a few days afterward either.

lol I dont recommend that either but thank you for sharing the experience because it does show losing that much water is possible in a week if it is possible in a day
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,102 Member
    Options
    This is very weird.

Personally would of hit the cheapo shops with the $10 entry fee and bought decorations with that rather than using it to enter a contest - but I guess it is too late to put forward that idea?

uh I joined months ago. Finacial situations don't stay the same. We had a tree it was destroyed. This is in no way weird. And trees are minimum $40 not $10. Plus gifts? $200 will do a lot more than my $10

What I meant was weird to me was the whole competition, not just you -but its up to you, and I get that the thread isnt about that anyway.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually considering a hair cut Lol. Or balloons on my hair? lmso. Who knows?

Well this was my list:

Spinach and arugala
    green onion
    yellow onion
    avocado
    lime
    raspberries
    green apples
    Deli cheese x 2
    Smart Cups
    low calorie dressing
    Hint water
    V8 Spicy
    Vegetable broth
    baby carrots
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    celery
    parmesan

Apples are a bit carby (I'd avoid fruit altogether, with the possible exception of avocado). Cheese and V8 are both pretty high in sodium. Look at salt content on anything jarred (I wouldn't bothered with jarred dressing - dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; no sugar or salt in those). I don't know what smart cups or hint water are, so can't comment on those.

• Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is very weird.

What I meant was weird to me was the whole competition, not just you -but its up to you, and I get that the thread isnt about that anyway.

Ohhh I get it lol ok well idk I like the opportunity of it and the motivation it gave me to keep going
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Well this was my list:

Spinach and arugala
    green onion
    yellow onion
    avocado
    lime
    raspberries
    green apples
    Deli cheese x 2
    Smart Cups
    low calorie dressing
    Hint water
    V8 Spicy
    Vegetable broth
    baby carrots
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    celery
    parmesan

Apples are a bit carby (I'd avoid fruit altogether, with the possible exception of avocado). Cheese and V8 are both pretty high in sodium. Look at salt content on anything jarred (I wouldn't bothered with jarred dressing - dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; no sugar or salt in those). I don't know what smart cups or hint water are, so can't comment on those.

Hint water is just flavored water. 0 calories 0 added sugar just fruit flavoring (natural). smart cups are eggs premixed in cups lol. I just like them. IDK why I prefer them to eggs but I do. Also I know there is salt in those thats why Ill be eating the cheese and V8 only occasionally (once every couple days). Same for fruit. I'm not big on sweets but if I get a craving I'd like fruit around to fix that. Still, the sodium should be a big difference compared to the 3500+ mg I have per day of sodium now and I also am always low in potassium which Im sure makes water retention even worse
  • django_rheinhardt
    Options
    I don't know. Your list of food sounds really healthy, but pretty limited. Personally, I would be starving if I ate only those foods, but I am also not vegetarian. I tried to be vegetarian and I was starving the entire time. Not sure if my body needed to adjust or if I was doing it wrong. If it works for you, all the more power to you. Heck, it might help with the bloating. My main concern is if you're eating enough calories during that week. There are so many quick fixes that there should be no reason to be miserably hungry for the week.

Good for you for scheduling an appointment with a gi. :-) Though, Jan sounds really far away to be having those symptoms. If the week of eating what you plan to eat doesn't solve your problem, then it might not hurt to try the trial and error method to see if anything else works in the meantime.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea, if you can get your hands on it, is brilliant for bloating and water weight. It's a mild laxative and diuretic, so it helps the bloated feeling and the actual bloating plus the water weight, but it's mild so it won't leave you feeling sick or cause actual diarrhea. Also make sure to wear your lightest clothes for the weigh in. You could wear a heavy jacket over them to stay warm and take it off for the weigh in.