Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been asked to be buried in a Superhero outfit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever knocked over the casket in one of those Jerry Springer moments?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff Nope, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened one day.

@_unsteady_ Who is Butch Jones???

@dbanks80 No, knock on wood. It would be a female dog to pick it up though :o
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My sister in laws got into a fist fight at my father in law's funeral just a few months ago. Have you had that happen? Does that qualify as a Jerry Springer moment? It sure felt like one and was mortifying AF.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Yep, that's a classic Jerry Springer funeral moment.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Are you responding to all these questions while you are working??
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't care.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Yeah, I am. We are empty at the funeral home right now. We've had 172 people this year. The past two weeks we have been quite which is very unusual for this time of year. We usually have 2 -3 a week.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff Nope, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened one day.

@_unsteady_ Who is Butch Jones???

@dbanks80 No, knock on wood. It would be a female dog to pick it up though :o

Who is Butch Jones?!?

Drat! This was like the best thread ever and it suddenly lost it's creditability.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    What's the most expensive casket you guys carry?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had anyone put something strange in the casket?

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    My uncle died recently and my cousin found him a couple days after it happened. The police report said rigor had set in...he looked really bloated in the coffin and not like himself at all...is this because it took so long to find him?

Also my dad died around the same time...we had him cremated and the funeral home said they didn't have like a freezer so if we wanted him to wait he'd need embalming...Wouldn't this make the place stinky all sorts of bodies and no refrigeration?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever! Thanks OP!

The pic of the retort, is that ashes and remains in it?

Guess all the cool questions have been asked.. er I can't think of anything.

Really great to know you are so committed to your profession. I may have to put together a will requesting specifically your services.

I think I want your job.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    My uncle died recently and my cousin found him a couple days after it happened. The police report said rigor had set in...he looked really bloated in the coffin and not like himself at all...is this because it took so long to find him?

Also my dad died around the same time...we had him cremated and the funeral home said they didn't have like a freezer so if we wanted him to wait he'd need embalming...Wouldn't this make the place stinky all sorts of bodies and no refrigeration?

I'm sorry about your Dad and Uncle. Losing two family members that close together is tough. Swelling during embalming can be cause by several different factors. When someone dies in their home and lays there in 70 degree temperature it doesn't take long for decomposition to set in. The arterial system begins to weaken and it makes it difficult to inject formaldehyde through the arteries. If an artery blows out the fluid pools in one area (normally the face) and then they look bloated. I hate it when I can't make someone look like themselves. It makes me feel like I let that person and their family down. I don't see why they wanted your Dad to be embalmed unless it was going to take a long to get his paperwork filed. The freshly deceased can stay in a cool air conditioned room for a couple of days just fine. Our funeral home doesn't have a cooler; we just close the embalming room door and turn the AC on high to keep them cold. It works like a charm.

Ya i wish they hadn't had my uncle's casket open. It wasn't him.

And dad they said they'd embalm him if my brother's fiancé who was on her way into town from out west wanted to see him. She didn't so they sent him off. I just envisioned a room of stinky people.