WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Good eve all. Been trying to catch up,but was going cross eyed,so had to give up.DH had a couple wks of back pain.....cause unknown.He is slowly improving ....cause unknown,but he is still walking slow & easy.Hate when he isn't well.

Need to get cookie dough made tomorrow,then will bake whenever.Have cut back on lots of Christmas traditions,but they love the cookies.Freezing rain predicted for tonight,so maybe tomor will be a stay home & make the house look like Christmas is coming day. Have a great Saturday. Pat
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :)<3Sue in WA, sending hugs to you to help you cope with your frustration with your husband....it is so frustrating when they know what to do to feel better and refuse to follow directions.

:)Joyce there are directions online for making your own distilled water. Here is something I found:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NpkDJ6yIN8I

:) Today was my last day of physical therapy. I was a few minutes late because I sat down to watch some figure skating on TV earlier in the afternoon and fell asleep while watching and woke just in time to race out of the house. I now have 16 exercises that he's given me to do and as a "graduation present" he said I needed to do them only once a day instead of twice. He suggested that I keep doing them for at least a month. My range of motion has increased but my biggest challenge is recovering from the leaning forward I did for so long to compensate for the pain and now I have to retrain my back to stand up straighter and stretch the necessary muscles.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Thanks Barbie, that is the exact instructions I found but I don't have a pot that has a glass lid.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    Stats for the day
    Rde hm 2 gym- 14.59min, 11.8amph, 153mhr, 2.9mi= 170c
    fitbit- 148mhr, 120c
    STAIRCLIMBER- 15min, 59fl, 28ftpmin, lvl7, 68ftpmin, 141mhr = 142c
    fitbit- 140mhr, 108c
    ROPE PULL- 15min, midset, lvl7, 28ftpmin, 449meters 121mhr = 80c
    fitbit 202mhr, 158c
    TREADMILL walk/jog- 8.23min, 4incl 3.6sp, last .1 6.4sp, 144mhr 16.50ap, .5mi = 60c
    fitbit- 188mhr, 82c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.03min, 12.2amph, 155amhr, 1.4mi = 110c
    fitbit- 148mhr, 87c
    walk station 2 wk - 10.26min, 137mhr, .4mi = 59c
    fitbit- 124mhr, 70c
    walk wk 2 sta- 11min est, Fitbit 130mhr .4mi - 74c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.30min, 8amph, 140mhr, 2.5mi = 205c
    Fitbit- 138mhr 110c
    Total cal 900
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited December 2016
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

I have been missing you something terrible but not finding the time to spend with you. I’ve had to skip pages of posts and quickly skim others. I’m so sad to hear that many of you are suffering from different seasonal problems. And others with health issues.

Joyce, a special ((((Hug)))) for you and I hope you are better soon! I hope you can feel the love I’m sending your way.

Congrats to those that are faring well this holiday season.

Janetr, I hope your tests turn out to be something easy peasy to heal. *Love and healing thoughts coming your way*. Didn’t mean to make you worry. Sorry.

Heather, so glad the family drama is working itself out for the time. I love the picture of your little lamb!!! So precious.

Allie, so glad you got to go to Florida. I hope you make the most of it!!

Sherry, love the pictures in the snow. Just glad I’m not there. So glad you got moved.

Cheri, so happy for the house sale!!!

Betty, great going on the lab results!!!!

I hope you are all safe in the snow and cold.

I love all the pictures, my friends.

I’ve been spending nearly every day at my friend’s house, trying to get her packed up and ready for the movers. Today I’m taking the day off and giving my back time to recoup from all the work. I had a couple helping yesterday and we got a lot accomplished. It is actually easier with my friend already in Texas, as she often just gets in the way. Lol The movers aren’t coming until mid-January so there is no a big rush, but I want to get it finished. I’ll hold an estate sale at her house to try to sell most of what she isn’t moving.

I picked a good day to stay in because it was cold for us today. Never got out of the 40’s. By Sunday it’s supposed to get back in the 70’s. Go figure.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!

I Love you, t07209.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – ok I’m interested in this dish thing, LOVE the idea of a flat amount, but how do you get internet? My cable TV (Comcast) and internet connection is bundled…

Barbie - So glad about Bernie’s good news!!!

Heather – I want your TV internet phone deal…. So mine is $89 per month for 6 channels of TV and internet, and $23 per month for phone, no long distance; cell is another company and is about $100 a month-its called the extreme basic package -… So in pounds..71 for TV/internet,18 for phone, 80 for cell – per month!

Allie – I know I am hard on you and Tom sometimes, but it is because I worry and care, this sounds like more than a reasonable approach. You go!

Heather – great job! I am going to a friends house for C-mas eve and day and wish they would tell me what I am to bring, as I would like to prep.

Cheri – congrats!

Mary and Margaret – Excellent! Cute snow bunnies

Busy day – 4 hours gardening, and just tons of embroidery – all on 4 hours of sleep as I picked up a neighbor at the airport (about 30 min drive away) last night his plane landed at 10 min after midnight… So took a break this afternoon and called Becca! So nice to put a voice and style to the words on the page. And tonight I am babysitting for another neighbor – so 7-11 at their home. When I lost my job (in 2008) I started babysitting, taking friends to the airport, doing anything to make a bit of cash and this is the only family I still babysit for, good kids, 3 doors down… so it is easy! And I’ll be bringing my Christmas cards and finishing them up after the kiddos are in bed.

December Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it.
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle - Done

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water

:)Joyce, take a look at this.....the lid doesn't have to be glass
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Hey now.....

YAY!! I got two Christmas cards in the mail today from two lovely ladies here.....you both know who you are!!.....not just one but two!!!....and they are beautiful cards!!....ladies I will be sending ones back to you both, I hope they make it there in time for Christmas.....I will take another walk later tonight and drop them in the outgoing slot so that they will go out in the morning.....

Allie - I agree, you should wait till you get home unless you are prepared to get to the airport yourself somehow (maybe a friend down there can give you a ride) and fly home alone then somehow get home (maybe a friend could pick you up) because I fear if you try to say anything down there he might just leave....he doesn't sound like a man who listens to you much, if at all....it might be a good idea to get some counseling if you can beforehand and run this by your counselor....he or she may suggest mediation as well.....I just worry about you a lot and want to make sure you stay safe.....I would also suggest having an escape plan if things go wrong when you talk to him.....and for heaven's sake girl, be prepared to do exactly what you tell him you will do if he does not comply.....make sure all your ducks are in a row and be prepared for the worst......and you are on my friends list now so please message me if you need support or need me in any way....I am here for you.....no, you are not being unreasonable so stick to your guns, we are all behind you.....

Becca - love the pics of the doggie and kitties....they are all so cute!!! Especially the little kitten, I'm a sucker when it comes to babies of any kind of animal!....

Joyce - I wish I could tell you how to make distilled water but alas I have never had to and wouldn't even know where to start except with a jug of water....lol....my doc wants me to have a sleep study done cuz he thinks I need a C-PAP too, but I won't do it cuz I can't even wear a paper mask, they make my face sweat....lol.....I told him that if I DID have sleep apnea and stopped breathing in my sleep and died, that wouldn't be such a bad way to go.....I can think of worse ways, really.....lol.....

OK, now I've gotten lost on who else said what else cuz I can only go back to the top of this page or I lose my post.... :'( .....the rest of you all please forgive me.....

Anyway, I spent most of the day doing research on the web for TV service here.....actually found several companies and several options including internet service only and getting a Roku or Amazon Fire TV stick or something similar.....and after all the phone calls, and all the people I have talked to and all the options I've looked at, at all the various prices and packages and blah blah blah......I have decided to go with a local company out of The Gorge that has service here and can do a TV only deal with roughly 200 channels, including the ones I really want, for just under $60 a month.....my credit was approved (of course) so no money up front and I am slated for installation Wednesday morning.....I made damn sure they are aware I live in a motorhome and made them verify that they CAN install on motorhomes and that they will not bail on me (they assure me the installers all live in The Gorge area and that they can all drive in the snow.....I tried to ask every pertinent question I could think of and verified everything I could think of to make sure this finally goes off without a hitch....but I am not gonna get my hopes up or get excited about it till it's all done and said.....and this time I got smart and have a backup option on standby in case something goes wrong....again.....let's just hope the third time is actually the charm like the saying goes......I just can't believe it's this darn hard to get TV service somewhere......oh well, onward and upward.....

I made my Cabbage and Polish Sausage soup again tonight.....threw some carrots and celery and some sweet onions in the mix as well.....it came out super yummy and little piggy me had two big bowls....lol......it's definitely filling and warming......I'm stuffed.....

Well my fitbit app and my MFP app quit talking to each other for some reason and I just can't seem to get them back together short of uninstalling both and reinstalling both and then try to re-sync them.....I know they both back up their data to their respective websites but I just don't want to lose any data that I have already catalogued on this journey to skinnyness and good health......so for now I will have to double-log everything until I can figure this out......my health data and food diary are like my babies.....I don't want to lose any of it....it's my only documented proof of what I have accomplished so far......nooooooooooo!!!!!.....ugh.....

OK, I think that's it for now.....this post has gotten so long I am sure a few of you are thinkin' "Whew!".... Besides, it's time to medicate and start lookin' through my movies to see if I can find one in there somewhere that I somehow missed and haven't seen for a while....hah, fat chance of that, lol!!.....after while crocodile!!!!....

Sherry in " what shall i watch tonight?" Dufur
  • sherryminch
    DJ!!!! - your here!!! Big waves!!!! Sounds like you have been super busy!....I don't envy you the job of having an estate sale.....before I moved into this motorhome I had to get rid of a lot of stuff so I thought I would be smart and have a yard/garage sale one weekend....it only lasted one weekend and I swear I will never do that again, ever!!!........I had never met so many cheap, mean, argumentative people as I did that weekend!...one guy even tried to start a fight with me over paying $2 for a DVD, and a Blu-ray at that too!!!.....I actually had to take my cell phone out of my pocket and start dialing 911 before he would put the movie down and leave my property....then he got in his car, revved his engine real loud, flip me off then peel rubber as he pulled away while screaming profanities at me!!......I tell ya, some people's children!!!.....and I think your sunshine made it all the way over here, it was beautiful today!!....

Love and hugs!!

Sherry in "No yard sales here buddy!!" Dufur
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Joyce – What type of C-pap machine do you have? My newest one, has a reservoir that you put in by pulling apart the place the hose goes into, which lifts up. The humidifier goes into the top rather than into the side, like my last one did. Not nearly as easy as my last one. Put distilled water into it up to the ‘fill line’ … I had to use a marker to highlight the rough ▲ so that I could actually see it. I do not like my new C-pap machine nearly as much as I did my last one because it is harder to put the water reservoir in and out without spilling water everywhere; but, it is a whole lot quieter. One thing it does is start off slow and build up to whatever your settings are. I had to contact my supplier to find out if he would call the MD and see if they could start it off higher than #4 because it took too long to build up to what would allow me to get enough air to fall asleep; so he raised it up to #9; and, it will then work up to #12. Is this a ‘new’ C-pap machine, or is it just that they’ve added the humidifier? Now, I fall asleep within 5 minutes of putting it on. I also use a ‘wisp’ mask because I am so claustrophobic to use a full- or half-face mask. Mine is a Respironics. If you don’t have any distilled water, I would just boil some and let it cool off and use it, it won’t hurt to do that for a few days. But, it does call for ‘distilled’ water.

How to make distilled water at home

Fill a stainless steel container half full with tap or regular water.

Place a round, glass bowl afloat in the water into the pot. Be careful that the bowl should not touch the bottom of the pot. If there is enough water in the steel container, the bowl will easily float. If it seems difficult to float it then you can place a round baking rack on the bottom of the pot to give the glass bowl a support.

Place the lid on the container and fill it with ice. You may remember the rule of condensation; hot steam touches the cold layer. Here hot steams hits cold lid and the condensation will happen.

It’s not worth it to me to go through this, I’d just make sure that I got some distilled water in the next day or 2. Putting tap water into it isn’t going to matter unless you do it ‘long-term’.

Becca – Your kitties are ‘cute’ as well as your childhood pets. Good for you, for not allowing someone to make you ‘the victim’ … or for, at least, getting out of that situation. It is sometimes a ‘hard’ thing to do. You are ‘too positive of a person’ to let someone get to you like that. All of us here, love you!!!!!

Sue – Why is your hubby being so difficult about following MDs instructions? Surely he does not have a ‘death wish’. When I was “Lithium Toxic” about 10 years ago, they flushed my kidneys. They told my DH that I ‘might’ night even survive the procedure. I don’t remember any of it, thankfully. Is he diabetic?

Lisa – OK, you’re the author? Right? What type of book(s)?

Patcheoh – I wish I could find one of those cookie dough things that works like a caulk gun. My Mother had one (she used hers mostly for cheese straws) but it had several little disks in it that you could make cookies in different shaped.

Nothing worse than a ‘sick man’ … they are ‘such babies’.

Allie – Just about every town and city have a “Legal Aid” office, and you could probably get some information from them; or contact a Women’s Shelter and get information from them as well. While he might not have ever laid a hand on you, ‘emotional abuse’ is something harder to accept than ‘physical abuse’ in many cases. We are just concerned about you. But, you are the one married to him, and you know him a lot better than any of us do (other than what you’ve been willing to share). I also agree with some of the ladies here who had suggested pretty strongly about ‘getting your ducks is a row’. Start snooping if necessary. Look at bank statements, look at income tax returns. Just look for where you husband is spending ‘y’all’s money’ on. Sounds like you are also contributing money to the household bank account(s).

Welcome to all the ‘newbies’ and to those who are just ‘lurking’.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    DJ (Janet #1 in my book :) ) wrote "Janetr, I hope your tests turn out to be something easy peasy to heal. *Love and healing thoughts coming your way*. Didn’t mean to make you worry. Sorry."

So glad to hear you are fine and BUSY. I had just told my husband this evening that I was getting concerned. Thanks for letting us know. Also, thanks for the well wishes. Have not got blood work results yet.

Janetr OKC
  • sherryminch
    Thought that since a lot of us have ongoing health problems and have to deal with the rediculous hoops of insurance that you all might take an interest in this:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/make-america-healthy-again/?trk_msg=UHF3U09B9FI479FQLUDT0JJ6R4&amp;trk_contact=5EJOP680HCT4R9L30Q6VKQ7HBO&amp;utm_source=Listrak&amp;utm_medium=Email&amp;utm_term=http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/make-america-healthy-again/&amp;utm_campaign=DrGroup_HCReform_12152016&amp;utm_content=DrGroup_HCReform_12152016

Hope that takes you to the story....I know, I know.....no politics......but this is important for all of us!....

Sherry in "supporting healthcare reform..." Dufur
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2016
    Sue in WA: I am sorry your DH is being stubborn about taking proper care of himself. You were right to make him go to his doctor. (((HUGS)))

Barbie: Congratulations on completing your physical therapy. You are doing a great job with your recovery. :heart:

DJ: It is wonderful to see your post! I have missed you. :flowerforyou:

Sherry: I'm happy that you've lined up the TV and internet services you really need. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the installation happens on schedule. :smiley:

We had a cozy, stay at home day today. I read a book from cover to cover and enjoyed it. The book is by Patricia Briggs and is part of the Mercy Thompson series. Her books are about Werewolves, shape shifters and magical beings. Mercy Thompson is the heroine and shifts into a coyote. There are connections to Native American themes, too. The books are centered in the tri-cities area of Eastern Washington, but occasionally travel to other places. I read some in the past and only recently stumbled into them again through my library. I have always been an avid reader and this is fun for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy
  • sherryminch
    Hey now.....

Katla - I have my fingers crossed too, but we shall see....I'm not having the best of luck even getting service but maybe this time it will happen....those books sound awesome!....I like stuff like that so I will have to see if I can find them in the Multnomah County Library as I still have a library card with them even though I live in Wasco County now.....shhh....don't tell anybody, lol.....I like to read their e-books still so I have kept the card....

Well, I am quickly figuring out that double-logging in both the fitbit app and the MFP app is a real pain in the a**.....I braved it and uninstalled the fitbit app and reinstalled it and tried to re-sync to MFP but no luck.....I still had to log my meals and exercise in both apps.....and tonight when I logged my exercise in my MFP diary it showed the correct calorie burn but when MFP sent those logs to my news feed it showed an extra 180 calorie burn that I can't account for....I think the whole problem might be with MFP in the app....I haven't yet checked my news feed on the website to see what it shows but I will before I go to sleep.....I'm curious now to find out what the heck is going on......I don't like the food database on fitbit as much as MFP's which has a wider selection of foods......and there is a difference in calorie amounts for the same servings of the same foods between both the databases....so now I don't know which one is more accurate.....kinda frustrating........I guess I will go by the calories in MFP as I have a lower calorie goal there than I do on fitbit.....I think as long as I stay under THAT goal I will continue to lose weight, at least I hope.....the proof's in the puddin' as they say....

Well, time to go over my emails as usual, then to sleep....I hope everybody has a good night.....

Sherry in "why can't fitbit and MFP just get along?" Dufur
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    Lenora - I'm one of the authors on here, yes. Heather in the UK is another. The two books I have up on Amazon are a mystery story set in East Texas and a collection of my short opinion/editorial articles. You can find them by doing a search for "Lisa C. Hannon." I don't post links here, as it's against MFP's terms and can get me thrown off the site. The sequel I'm writing to the mystery story is set in West Texas. The books are available both on Kindle and in paperback.

Kim - at the moment, I have cable Internet, with my own router tied to it. I will probably move to a hotspot with my cellphone provider once the term is up on the cable. With a hotspot, you have to be super-careful of your data usage, but if you keep it reasonable, no streaming video, etc., it can stay reasonably close to the $48 a month I'm paying for Internet now. Much of it depends on the provider. Unlimited data plans exist, but are nearly as expensive as satellite Internet. However, the equipment to obtain satellite Internet can cost as much as $7,000--while a cellphone hotspot costs about $50. Many cellphones can, themselves, act as a hotspot, but that's kind of in it's infancy, as well. I tend to be a late adopter whenever possible.

Lisa in West Texas
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    Heather-Okay I will take your word for it that kipper is delicious. ;-)
    Lillian-Curling? For real? Pack healthy snacks so you don't get too hungry and grab unhealthy stuff.
    Allie-your plan sounds reasonable. I hope Tom is open to the discussion. I do think Katia has good advice for you. Yikes, I read more responses and I am new here so I don't know much about your situation, it sounds like he is a very controlling man and others here are concerned about him. I think you should get some professional advice on how to handle this and squirrel some money away that he doesn't know about before you have a conversation with him. If he is controlling, once he knows you might leave or do something about him, he may tighten the controls. Have an exit plan and resources in place in case you need it.

Okay, I logged almost 18,000 steps on my fitbit yesterday. I did exercise some reasonable self control at the Xmas potluck. For the first time in a really long time, I pushed my plate away with some goodies on it because I was full and I just didn't want to get overfull. That is huge for me!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    Hi all!

Talking about baffling husband's ...... mine isn't keen on my "improving" books. I am reading one now about successful people and I mentioned this morning that they often take risks and can cope with failure. That set him off as if it was a personal criticism! He said I had been dissatisfied recently (?) and taking risks was dumb. I really was talking about my perfectionism and my need to get things right before I attempt something. The idea of failure is scary to me and I don't take easily to experimentation. (Hence I haven't opened my new laptop again since my early failure).
    To say I have been dissatisfied is a bit of a cheek as I have been sleepless over his family's problems, the house move and all the Christmas organising.
    I always want to improve myself and seek how to live an even happier life. He sees it as a criticism of him that he is not keeping me happy. :*;) If my mood is a bit off he thinks I am unhappy with him. That is frustrating that I can't share my enthusiasms for improvement with him. :sad: Or just be fed up occasionally.
    Not a huge problem, but a little bump in the road this morning. All because I want to be a little more open to trying things. :/
    I'm trying to get my head around where he is coming from.

Sending my love to those who have far worse husband troubles. <3<3<3

Going to attempt my pistachio soup this afternoon.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    graphics-christmas-me-to-you-708284.gif

Still packing early flight tomorrow

Kate