WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options

I am going to enjoy it. How lucky I am to have people to share time with <3 and enough money to be able to entertain them without strain. This past week I have been out of the house once and have only spoken to the cleaner (apart from DH). Next week will be non-stop gracious (!) hostess. I wouldn't want to do next week very often, but I can enjoy it while it lasts.
    Attitude of gratitude. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

<3Heather, thank you for sharing your attitude of gratitude....a great reminder for me and probably many others.

<3 Barbie

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Lenora- (((hugs)))

Sherry - (((hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) Today was the holiday dance class. I found holiday songs to go with ten dances that we do often. The Elks Club where we meet is decorated with lighted trees. Several people brought treats and everyone wore some festive clothing. It was a great morning. Once again I felt grateful to have all those people in my life.

<3 I am also grateful for all of you....you add to my life and I learn from you.

b0313.gif Barbie from briefly snowy NW Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Cheri I too went to elimentary school with a majority of Jewish children. My two best friends were Jewish, one family kept kosher the other didn't but oh the food! I loved being invited for dinner. We had a neighborhood deli that made the best potato knish, chopped liver & bagels & lox it was a magic time in the Bronx in the 50's. Very fond memories being one of a few Gentiles who got to share in a rich heritage that I otherwise wouldn't know.

Lois still cooking :)

Lois what beautiful memories! Oy the food is right! A different time, simpler times are truly missed in life nowadays. Thanks so much for sharing!

Cheri
    still drizzling in TX
  • csofled
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Cheri, love the picture of your family. I attended the majority of my school years with a large population of Jewish students. I once went with a couple of my good friends to Synagogue on a Saturday, I was in awe. In school we learned a little about Jewish holiday celebrations and even a little song about playing with dreidles. We loved Jewish holidays because so many students were gone we didn't do much in class those days. Fond memories. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Janetr OKC

An advantage to having enough Jewish kids in the school system is more days off for sure. Growing up my sibs and I were typically the ONLY Jewish students. How wonderful you were able to share in our traditions.

Cheri
    walking inside due to drizzling outside and multi tasking to get my steps in for today
  • csofled
    Options
    Cheri - I just LOVE your photo! I made myself a flowery two piece too! How great to have that photo as a memory! <3

I have just had a narrow escape! My younger son rang and said the family might like to stay for an extra night!!!! Well, normally I would be VERY glad to have them, but I have made no arrangements for food as that was one of the evenings I was taking my elder son, who is arriving after they had planned to leave, out to the pub to save work. I filibustered and said, of course they were welcome, but ....... I would have to cancel the pub and buy more food (DH said he would cook!) Rather late notice don't you think. Can't really take all the babies out for a meal! No takeaway deliveries here! He obviously caught the panic in my voice (we have a whole week of different guests staying) so he said he would think about it and ask his wife.
    I got a text a minute ago to say they are going home when originally arranged. PHEW!
    If he had told me even a few days ago I could have sorted it, but .......... Conjuring up an extra lunch, tea and dinner for 5 adults and three children out of nothing is a bit beyond even my capabilities. ;):o
    Anyway, they were trying to save themselves a long drive to my ex's on the Wednesday. I feel a bit bad for even hesitating, but......... :|

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Thanks Heather! Dodged a bullet there! Enjoy your holiday.

Cheri
    in wet TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Cheri ~ Thanks for sharing your photo. What a great memory you must have.

Becca ~ Hoping that you and your sons have a wonderful visit during this time. I also grew up in a family where the most important part of the holiday was the food. My mom made wonderful cakes and especially fruit cakes. I have not made any special treats for the Season but know that when we get together with our extended family there will be great food and a good time. Also, a sad time as my mom has been put on Comfort Care and we do not expect her to live beyond the weekend or soon next week. I have cried off and on all day.

Carol[/quote

I am so sorry, even tho we know they will be out of pain, it is never easy to let them go (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Cheri - I am writing my memoir at the moment about the first nine years of my life. My father was in hospital with TB for six months when I was 6 and we had a Jewish lodger who became an important family friend and a kind of second mum to me. I learnt so much from her, including a bit of Yiddish which i still remember. I always make a point, when I'm in a strange city abroad, of seeking out the Jewish sites, including synagogues, ancient baths and museums. <3:D
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

And yes, I feel a bit guilty about dodging that bullet, but the mere thought of it brought me out in a panic attack! In Britain everything shuts down for Christmas, no shops open, no transportation - zilch. We live in the middle of the countryside, miles from the nearest shop.
  • JJsGirl2014
    JJsGirl2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food/water intake since September. I turned 56 in November!! Yea for me!! I am in southwest Georgia, just a hop, skip and a slow 45-60 minute range walk from the Alabama state line. My goal is to lose 50-60 pounds, increase my water intake, continue to add more fruit and veggies to my meals and stay motivated to exercise consistently!! I had both knees replaced 3 years ago so I am not into high impact moves, not able to do deep squats, lunges or running. I use my membership at Planet Fitness as well as my home equipment at least 3 days per week. I enjoy walking and playing outside with my dogs.

I have lost B) and gained :/ the same 12 pounds since I started tracking. I'm encouraged to keep at it for personal reasons. This 5'5" frame was never meant to carry 227 pounds, especially not with these new knees. When I emerge from this 227 pound cocoon I will be transformed into a majestic Butterfly.

When I drop the first 50 pounds, I will have reached a milestone, those other ten pounds are just sugar-free icing on a diet cake.

Working Through Transformation

JJ's Girl
  • JJsGirl2014
    JJsGirl2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot to list my January goals:

lose 5 pounds and keep them off
    post my progress and set backs
    encourage myself daily
    exercise regularly
    seek advice and support when I need it

Have a Merry Christmas everyone....

I am an Unstoppable Woman, Working Through Transformation

JJ's Girl
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    evenin ladies~
    off to bed to watch t.v.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:ride hm 2 gym- 13.03min, 13.4amph, 144mhr, 2.9mi= 147c
    fitbit- 150mhr, 111c
    0 runner (new machine)- 39MIN, 36avlength, 9avheight, 104avcadence, 11ap, 139mhr, 3.74mi = 357c
    fitbit- 140mhr, 313c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.15min, 11.8amph, 144mhr, 1.4mi = 84c
    fitbit- 142mhr, 76c
    walk station 2 wk- 9.31min, 110mhr, 2.9amph, .4mi = 44c
    fitbit- 136mhr, 71c
    walk wk 2 sta- 10.17min, 89mhr, 3.4ap, .4mi = 44c
    fitbit- 157mhr, 104c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.52min, 8amph, 140mhr, 2.5mi = 175c
    fitbit- 147mhr, 117c
    total cal590
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It made me happy today that my DH was having less nerve pain & we could enjoy a quick lunch at his favorite BBQ place. We both brought half of our brisket home and I picked up Mac & Cheese to serve Christmas Day for my vegetarians. It made me happy I didn't have to make it o:)

Off to bed early tomorrow I must cook 6 pounds of shrimp in my special boil, make cocktail sauce, artichoke dip, mustard for the ham & the mashed potatoes, which I'll reheat Sunday, along with finishing the buffet table & spiffing up the bathrooms.

Have a great evening,

Lois counting my blessings on the North Shore of Ma.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Ladies;

Another Jammie Day is nearing it's end... I have spent the day "working" on my couch, while listening to Christmas Music, watching my lit tree and drinking cinnamon tea. It has been very soothing and the very best way to work.

Of course, it is not so good on the step goals... even an hour on the elliptical tonight won't make up for a day on the couch, but, I am refreshed and comfy - so, I am not too sad about it.

I hope that all of you have a marvelous Christmas Weekend.

Hugs for Everybody!

Re
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Squeezed in my mammogram today, lol, before year end. The results will be available in 4 days, so much faster then 10 even 5 years ago.

<3 Rosie in SoCal
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures of the holiday pups, Pip!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cheri, love your picture. I have a question about it. You said it was in Parade magazine in your local paper. We used to get Parade in our Sunday paper here. I thought it was a national publication. Was your picture in all of the magazines or just in your paper?

Sunny girl, "squeezed in a mammogram" - so funny!

JJ's girl, welcome! I'm in the opposite corner of the state - Northeast GA.

Rebecca, to answer your question, some people take notes and others use two screens open. Then there are those like me who are very hit or miss about responding. I don't mean to deliberately ignore folks. I appreciate those who take the time to respond individually. Sometimes it helps me catch news I missed when I was skimming because I can't keep up. But can you imagine if everybody responded to everybody? We'd never get through the thread!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Rosie, I had my mammogram today, too.

:)Pip, your pups are so darling

This is for anyone fixing a holiday meal for a family with varied food wants and needs:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TX9EAavxrus