WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    <3Katla, don't let your husband's worries keep you from riding. If worry about who will drive kept people from riding, then no unmarried person could ever ride. It has been my experience that when we need help, someone comes along to help. Stay in the moment and have a blast on your horse.

<3Joyce, hugs to you and hopes that you'll feel better soon.

:)janetr, congrats to your daughter.

:)Lisa, I have been reading your blog---thanks for sharing it with us

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    -
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Michele – One thing that might be interfering is ‘if’ someone has a cellphone on; it might be stronger than laptop on Wi-Fi. One reason I say that is when Will and Tami had their ‘run-through’ of the wedding the night before the ‘music’ they were going to have played (off a cellphone) worked; the day of the wedding, having problems with picking up a ‘signal’; and, they guessed that others attending might have had the cellphones ‘on’ but ‘on vibrate’. None went off correctly when they had the night before when we were the only ones in the small church ... with very thick walls (old church, one room - not bathroom). Jennifer who was given the job to do it, was upset about it not doing so. Coming on and going ‘in-and-out’. Or not starting or stopping when it was supposed to.

Barbie – Prayers and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for you and Jake.

Cheri – Finding a place to ‘settle’ in and ‘liking’ it means everybody is happy. Glad you like it and that hubby likes his job. Glad y’all are happy with the move and know you will make ‘new’ friends quickly.

Katla – We live a mile down a dirt road. I’m the only one that drives a car; and all the rest, except granddaughter when she is home for some reason, drive pick-up trucks. After a heavy rain or if you are the first one out, seems to set the mood for driving … making deeper ruts. My car has a narrower wheel base, so I have to straddle their ruts. Sometimes the county comes and grades it; other times, they bring red sand; which helps if it does not rain the next day. They bought a packer; but, I am not sure they really use it except maybe every 2nd or 3rd times because there are about 435 miles or more of dirt roads to get to, weather permitting. Without rain for a week, we pretty much have the road beat down. There’ve been times that I have wanted to put a note in everybody’s mail box to tell them after a rain, make new tire marks, to help pack it down without deep ruts. Some might listen, others might not. But, I guess since we are only talking about 6 families, I probably need to just stay silent.

Lisa – After my DYS was born I was diagnosed with “Graves’ Disease” a hyperthyroid problem, they ablated part of my thyroid gland, then I had to take Synthroid for replacement of thyroid medication to bring the numbers back up. I got up to 200lbs over a period of time after they raised it. Most of it was since I turned 60; I am now 65 … and also weight gain was from being ‘home’ all day and eating out of just plain boredom. The thyroid gland is like our ‘thermostat’ to our bodies, it makes other things do things (or not) that affect just about anything in our bodies. When they test for thyroid, they check more than just your T-cells (not sure that is the word I want to use); but, testing for levels to be right for you. I’ve never, ever been ‘textbook therapeutic’ on any medication I am on … where there is a test to check it. Tried coming off Dilantin because it makes my gums present as hyperplasia (over growth); but, when they got me down to 135mg … I’d have a seizure. So Neurologist said she would not ‘try to take me off again', unless the Dilantin was just not working’ ... and put me on 200mg of Dilantin; and on Lamictal (low dosage). She moved, so seeing her replacement … after the seizure I had August in 2015; he upped it from 200mg to 300mg twice a day. Since I have had a seizure (before I saw him the last time) he did a MRI and blood work, to test for levels. Two other medications that I take for my Bipolar Disorder are actually used sometimes for seizure control; but, along with the Seroquel I take they act as anti-anxiety pill as well as an anti-depressant. All six of those drugs [plus others I take for other health problems] are not really affected by my weight; and, I will never be able to come off them. The last time I went to PsycheMD and we talked about lowering the Seroquel, it was ‘my choice’; but, I was not really ready to try it (at least not at that time). I guess I will talk to him again, when I go back the end of January. Husband is probably not willing for me to ‘go down’ as his belief is, ‘if it ‘ain’t’ broke; don’t ‘fix’ it’.

I’ve never been able to find something that I can take to lower my cholesterol. End up having a reaction to in the first week I’ve been on it. One of the reasons I was ‘ordered’ into a weight loss program that is one associated with the MDs I go to, all in the same building. I’m allergic to so many medications, including penicillin and some other antibiotics.

About the ‘only’ foods I won’t eat are liver and mussels … any kind of snail-like seafood. I will eat (or at least try) anything else. My MnL loved escargot … it would turn my stomach, because I knew that was a ‘fancy French name’ for ‘snails’. I like collard greens better than turnips, which I like better than mustard greens (which, to me are the most bitter). I could eat collard greens until I started ‘turning green’.

Being hypo-thyroid … and I have been there, really makes you feel like a slug, wanting to sleep, drying hair and skin and not very good on your nails, just overall - very blah. Being hyper-thyroid does just the opposite. I was hyper-thyroid during the last few months of my last pregnancy; and, I would literally pull up a chair to my refrigerator and ‘graze’. Still was losing weight; and, getting bigger. Same thing I had done during my first of two pregnancies. OB/GYN said that I was definitely not going through the same thing as the first one; but, I was going to them (6 of them) every week, since my 5th month before I started rotating through them the last 5 weeks before my due date. The one that delivered him was husband of a friend of mine. Sat next to him at a dinner and he asked when baby was due; told him the following Friday … he looked at me, and said, ‘you’re not going to make it’. My HCG was a ‘little’ high for carrying a single baby; and, they never were able to distinguish my heart rate to be lower than baby’s and he moved with always a 4-point landing, if startled or moving around. I looked like a beach ball was stuck up under whatever I wore. From the back, you could not really tell that I was pregnant.

Carol – Thank you! As you can probably see, still have that ‘tummy and love handles’ which my nutritionist says will be the last to go. I’ve joined that group that Mary from Minnesota is in; I just not have found a way to bookmark the page. I know I’m in it; because I got sent a confirmation email. Suppose to start a ‘new’ challenge on 1/2/17.

Mary from Minnesota – Thanks! Tummy and love handles are what I ‘hope’ the ‘challenge’ will help me with. Will they send an email to get there? Of course, I have not checked my email today, yet. How do you find out who is on a ‘team’, or all 96 on the same team, like here?

I seem to have hit a plateau and losing and gaining the same 3 -5 lbs. Nurse says that my body has probably gotten used to my meals … need to change them up with more protein, more exercise and water. Presently I am drink 10 – 14 glasses a day and I feel I am forcing it to get there; yesterday I felt like every 20 minutes I was going to bathroom to pee. This evening, having pizza; so I have been saving my calories for them. Need to drink 4 cups of glass and maybe a Halo for lunch. Then, need to get on treadmill and walk for a long as I can.

Lenora
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Carol ...my Christmas decorations are still up as our tradition (don't know if it's family or regional) has been to take them down after New Year's Day. I'm usually ready for them to go! I'm also set to get back on the 365 day declutter mission! (We talked about this last year.)

Lenora ... very nice photograph.

DrKatie ... go slow on the Paleo ... as for a food being "processed" ... I am wholeheartedly on the bandwagon for whole, natural foods ... but it also helps to remember that all food will become "processed" as we chew and digest it. I would have a hard time throwing something away if it was basically healthy but fell short of some dietary guideline. Now, the frozen chicken fried steak with a huge ingredient list that a good intentioned family member sent when my husband was in the hospital ... that I will be throwing out! Good luck!

Barbie ... I am sorry to hear that your husband spent time in the ER, but very glad to hear he was released. Will be praying that this newest heart issue corrects itself or is easily remedied.

Meg ... get well soon! What is it about the holidays and illness?? Everywhere I turn, people are reporting illness.

We have decided to forgo a proper dinner tonight and instead pick at appetizers. This suits me fine! I've shrimp cocktail, a hot crabmeat dip and a bean dip. I can manage these pretty well and not go overboard. There's four of us and I didn't make that much ...

Happy New Year's Ladies! May 2017 bring us all health and happiness!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Well, returned my polar chest strap and my Fitbit charge 2 watch., that made my apple iwatch series 2 about $200 cheaper and it's more accurate than the other 2 so far. BONUS! It's starting to snow!!!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    happy-new-year-party-smiley-emoticon.gif to all my Phat Chat Friends.
    You are one of the best things in my life in 2016~ I'm behind still but hanging in here.
    The Estate Sale went well but of course I was exhausted last night. I went to bed by 9:00 and woke up at 3 am. Had to meet a lady at the house to pick up her purchases of $450 so didn't really get a nap. Guessing I won't make the turn of the year tonight, but I wish all the best for each of you in 2017.

Much love and see ya next year,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stat for the day:
    nothing like finishing off the year with a 2hr spin class!
    spin- 120min, 82ar, 104aw, 131ahr, 159mhr, 30.3mi = 970c
    apple iwatch- 964c
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of the 30Day shred DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Yoga Burn DVD with Rodney Yee.

We found the problem with the arches. It appears that some sort of critter got into the Ethernet cable and chewed thru it. There are other cables, but they weren't touched. We've had a controller here before and it was never touched.

barbie - I hope they get to the bottom of Jake's problem. I know how scary an irregular heartbeat can be

Cheri - there are some things that I like at Aldi, really most things, but I'm not crazy about their meats (too tough, too much fat in their ground beef, those are some of the things). Some of their fruits are good, some aren't. I find their kiwi to be too hard, their oranges are hard to peel (even the ones marked "naval"). But many times they have good price on bananas. Their cauliflower is a good price. Most things are good prices but those I'm not crazy about. There is usually an aisle with hardgoods, I don't find those prices to be especially good. But sometimes you do find something you'd never find anywhere else. I love Jason's Deli

I weigh myself weekly. I knew that I'd gained over this holiday. From this time last week to today, I've only gained 2lbs. I know that I gained more than that, but I've also been losing. I'll probably lose a bit more and then it'll be REAL slow going

Went to the vet yesterday. Loki had been on 1/2 pill of phenobarbitol in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. The zonisamide seems to be doing the trick so we're just going to give him 1/2 in the morning and see how that goes. If all goes well, we might consider eliminating it all together (yea!)

Alison - so that was you I saw?????? Safe travels

klanders - love your line, too

Rita - you're on your way with those resolutions!

Janet - you SHOULD be proud. Vince became a "retired" CPS because he was working in IT and in order to keep his license he had to take courses which were expensive and he couldn't even take it as a business related expense. So he "retired" but he still has the knowledge, which is why he can make a budget and do forecasting for Newcomers. Best of everything to your daughter. Which firm will she be going with?

Lovely pics everyone

Carol - I don't think we could get the decorations down. As a matter of fact, a friend is coming here tomorrow to see the decorations. But I would like to get them down by the middle of January. You shouldn't eat fowl on New Years, you need to have something green (for money), I've heard of black eye peas, but I know that I'm the only one who would eat them. I had collard greens once and wasn't crazy about them. Maybe it was because I didn't want fatback or whatever in them.

Joyce - why don't you want to be in any of the pictures? I probably missed something. Have a wonderful time

katla - keep riding. We never know what tomorrow will bring. Yes, you may get hurt. But then again (and most likely) you may not.

Lenora - interesting about why the laptop at the Y cuts out. But why would it work for some time but then the sound cuts out?

Donna - welcome

Michele in NC
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    2017 can't get here quick enough for me. Love and hugs to all you ladies <3 Wishing you a Happy and blessed New Year.

Rosie in So Cal
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora~ Beeeautiful picture of you! Almost to your goal, good on ya!!

I think I will have a lot of quiet time after son leaves...... It's definitely enjoyable, but mentally I am "on" all day and wow I do miss my 1 hr naps here and there. (Oye...I sound like an old person....*sighes*.....)

I am excited about starting a new year, and all that brings. I am at the end of paying off a relative that loaned us some money when we moved here. I sent him a "promissory note" and have been paying $100 each month with $200 extra each quarter. He has never asked for the money back per say, but dear MIL was talking to him once and told him that we had filed for bankruptcy, and have more money these days, so he said in jest that we should pay him back. So of course she told us what HE had said. Gotta love family.... LOL. I don't know if he was just being serious or what to her, and he hasn't said anything, but he does cash the checks so....at least I know I am being responsible. Got to be copacetic when it comes to family.

Well this Christmas I heard nothing from my middle sister. No card, no phone call, nada. I gave my sister toys to pass on to her grandkids. We shall see if my niece is adult enough to thank me for them. I am talking about a huge bin full of Legos, (about 10 sets worth). I know that with my boys, the first thing I had them do after Christmas day was to write letters to people that gave them presents. Even if it was just a drawing, I would have them tell me what to write. Nowadays, that is forgotten. I think is is just common courtesy. My sons send cards to their Grandma, so I know they still do thank you cards.

I had Eggs Benedict for breakfast, and I loved every morsel..... We all went out for a late breakfast, and I am sitting with a happy belly now :smiley:. I am going to start logging my food again. My New Years Resolution!

Becca
    getting her ducks in a row in
    Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Lenora how do you get the text to change color. Thank you. This time I will put the directions in word so I remember. Thank you.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Mary - did you get my request? If not, could you send me a request!
    Lenora - I think you look great. This will be your year girlfriend.
    [color=red{
    Sue B Dew in TX
  • suebdew
    Options
    [ color=red]
    Oops
  • suebdew
    Options
    Guess I forgot how to do it
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    ]happy-new-year-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

The new thread for January 2017 will be posted in a few hours. Be looking for the link to it on this thread and then don't forget to bookmark the new one so you can find it again.

If you want to know how to get the text to change color, click on "quote" at the bottom of this post and you'll see the way I did it to get red letters. I'm not sure how many other colors you can do by changing the the color word, but the process is the same.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hoping for health and happiness for you and yours. I feel kind of cloudy about 2017 but will try to do what I can to have it go well.
    Today we put Yak Traks on our boots and hiked in the muddy snowy woods. Tomorrow we hope to go to Buffalo and try their ice bikes!
    Going to try to lose a bit more weight next year but otherwise not making too many resolutions.
    My very aromatic narcissus is blooming!
    Betty
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Wishing all a Happy New Year, see you on the January 2017 thread, once Barbie posts it!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Janetr OKC: Congratulations to you and your daughter. :bigsmile:

Lenora: You are looking GOOD! Congratulations on your success. :star:

Carol: I'm home from my ride, safe and sound. I know that people can get hurt riding horses, but they can also get hurt in lots of other ways. I am going about this in the smartest and safest way that I can, knowing there is always risk. Thanks for your word of caution. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Have a great day with your wonderful family. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Thanks for your encouragement for riding and other kinds of exercise that have some risk. :heart: We are on the same page. I have done other things that have inherent risk and they've enriched my life. I'm thinking of sailing from here on the Columbia River to Desolation Sound in Canada & back on two different trips. It was glorious and worth a bit of seasickness. I haven't been seasick riding one single time. :wink: DH is worried at this time because I'm the only driver until his eyes get fixed, poor guy. :ohwell: I am sending good thoughts for Jake. :heart:

Donna in Houston & msfangiet: Welcome to a great group. We get a new page at the beginning of each month. Barbie will be starting the new thread for us later this evening and you'll be able to find us again by following the link at the bottom of this page. :smiley:

Pip: Enjoy your snow. We had snow falling during my riding lesson, but it didn't stick and it isn't snowing now. Keeping my fingers crossed for more snow. :smiley:

Michele in NC: :bigsmile:

Becca: Logging your food is an excellent way to take charge of your health. Good resolution! :heart:

Betty: Thanks for the Happy New Years.

My riding lesson went well enough. I couldn't get the horse to canter reliably. He did it for me for a while, and reverted to trotting. Frustrating for me because I wasn't giving him enough consistency to gain his respect. I'm planning to have more success next time. :bigsmile:

Happy New Years! For color you need [ color=purple ] Your words. [/ color=purple ]

I have inserted spaces before and after the color name so that you can see the format. You'll need to remove those spaces to get your results as below:

Take away the extra spaces to get
    Your words.

Happy New Years! See you on the new thread.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy