2 Minute Microwave Mug Bread

Options
cauttero
cauttero Posts: 14
:drinker: Finally a guilt free bread even a diabetic can enjoy.

I've adapted this recipe for individual Cinnamon Mug Muffins (Mug Bread) from the many versions you can find on the Internet. It's a very healthy alternative to other breads and muffins because it's made from ground flaxseed meal. It's low-carb, high fiber and packed with heart healthy Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

Each gluten free muffin is just 196 calories and has 4 grams of carbohydrates and 9 grams of fiber. That's only 5 net carbs per muffin. (You subtract the fiber carbs because they are not metabolized). The fiber helps you feel full and the slow digesting carbs will not spike your blood sugar.

Here's the quick and easy recipe (OK to substitute brands):

1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed (120 calories)
1/2 tsp Clabber Girl Double-Acting Baking Powder (0 calories) DO NOT USE BAKING SODA
1 packet Splenda (0 calories)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (6 calories)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters (30 calories) or 1 whole medium egg (65 calories)
1 tsp olive oil (40 calories) or 1 tsp of butter or margarine or 1 tbsp of apple sauce (for lower fat)

--Put all dry ingredients into a microwave safe coffee mug and mix together with a fork.
--Add the egg and olive oil (or butter or margarine or apple sauce) and beat with a fork until smooth.
--Microwave 90 seconds to 2 minutes maximum. (My muffin came out perfect in 90 seconds in 1050 watt microwave. I checked t to see if it was done by sticking in a knife, which came out clean).
--Allow to cool slightly.
--Dump it out of the mug, then slice and enjoy with your favorite toppings or use like bread to make a sandwich.

It takes about 5 minutes from cupboard to plate (measuring consumes most of the time). After cooling a bit, pass a knife around the inside of the mug and the funny looking 4-inch tall muffin will easily fall out when flipped upside-down. I was pleasantly surprised how delicious and moist it was. The texture was perfect (I was expecting something close to sawdust). It tasted just like a bran muffin. I was worried the cinnamon (which has been proven to help diabetics control their blood sugar) would be overpowering, but it was just right. I usually eat Wasa Crisp Breads (Sourdough) as part of my breakfast and lunch, but now I think I'll be making these whenever I can.

For my sandwiches, I use a small 4.5 inch (13 oz) Pyrex bowl, which creates a larger bread, about 4 inches in diameter. In my microwave, I had to increase the time to 2 minutes. When cooled, you can easily slice it in two and add your favorite sandwich makings. To me it tastes and feels a lot like honey whole wheat bread. Delicious toasted too.

Replies

• methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I will have to give it a try! Me lovez hot muffins!
    Thanks for sharing
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    bump
  • serendipityrr
    serendipityrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This rocks, going to pick up some baking powder and try it out lol. Sounds like an awesome breakfast muffin. Add various dried fruits (blueberries etc) and/or nuts and you get an awesome, tasty breakfast =D.
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One to try. Thank you!
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I have a 14 yr old gluten free son and we'll have to try this one. Do you know if anyone ever tried it with sugar instead of splend?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I have a 14 yr old gluten free son and we'll have to try this one. Do you know if anyone ever tried it with sugar instead of splend?

I'm going to try with stevia...worst that can happen is you have to wash out your mug lol =D.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just made it and eating it now. Not bad at all. I used stevia and it left a little aftertaste. I might try some organic cane sugar or brown rice syrup. I'm not diabetic so a good source of sweetener is not too much of a concern. I might also try a 1/8 or dash of salt next time. A little bland but the texture is fantastic. Who'd thought...

Edit: Let it cool, about the amount of time it took for me to write this. When it is hot it's kind of wet like a sponge. Cool it off and it dries out. These might be great sliced and toasted in a toaster oven.
  • cauttero
    Options

I'm sure you can use a packet of sugar (teaspoon) or any other sweetener you like. Or omit it completely.

I"ve also made a more savory mug bread by omitting the cinnamon and adding onion powder and other spices. Came out great too. But since I'm diabetic, I leave the cinnamon in because it's good to lower blood sugar. Gives the bread a nice dark brown color too and nutty taste.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I am the laziest Gluten-Free cook there is and even *I* would be willing to do this one. Thanks so much for a great recipe!!
  • cauttero
    Options
    Just made it and eating it now. Not bad at all. I used stevia and it left a little aftertaste. I might try some organic cane sugar or brown rice syrup. I'm not diabetic so a good source of sweetener is not too much of a concern. I might also try a 1/8 or dash of salt next time. A little bland but the texture is fantastic. Who'd thought...

Edit: Let it cool, about the amount of time it took for me to write this. When it is hot it's kind of wet like a sponge. Cool it off and it dries out. These might be great sliced and toasted in a toaster oven.

Fantastic. Yes, letting it totally cool makes it very easy to slice and it's nice and firm.
  • cauttero
    Options
    Here's another good tip. Since measuring takes up most of the time, I prepare 5-6 zip bags with all the dry ingredients mixed up and keep them in the fridge so all I have to do is to dump it in a cup or bowl and add the wet ingredients.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    Just finished it everyone, THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME!!! The batter rises above the top of the mug while cooking, don't worry about that. Thanks for posting this recipe.
  • cauttero
    Options
    Just finished it everyone, THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME!!! The batter rises above the top of the mug while cooking, don't worry about that. Thanks for posting this recipe.

In a smaller mug, it might rise above the rim, but it doesn't spill. When the microwave is done it sinks back into the mug. It's ALIVE!
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    I wonder how this would work with ground oats. Are oats gluten free? Gluten is just from wheat right?
  • cauttero
    Options
    I wonder how this would work with ground oats. Are oats gluten free? Gluten is just from wheat right?

Some people use almond flower. You can also add 1 tsp of cocoa instead of the cinnamon.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I have never seen anything like this... I am going to have to try it.

Thanks a bunch for sharing!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I have never seen anything like this... I am going to have to try it.

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

I have heard of almond flour being used...freaking EXPENSIVE, that crap's $9 for the same size bag of milled flax seed you can buy for $3 lol.