January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... I almost forgot to log my run!! Lol

1/1: 19 miles!! But my headphones died after 3.7 miles. :'( Also did some runner's yoga, and I can walk without wincing again.

Now, hoping my Packers kick some Lion butt!

Great run! My headphones died on a run 6 months ago and I've been running without them since them.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Setting my goal of 40 miles for January. I'm sick right now but as soon as I'm better I'll be on the ball!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, decided to change my goal. Some context. I decided to stop having my Aunt coach me. She's nice and all, but only having 1 week of training at a time was driving me crazy, because I like to see the full arch of training and how things fit. Then I began looking at training plans.

This led me to making a "to hell with it" decision, and I'm actually BUYING a custom training plan. The plan will be 20 weeks, which means it will start the last week of this month/first week of next month. On the questionnaire I filled out, I used my 4 week average of 36 for the weekly mileage question. This is a little lower than I could do, but is still decent for me, using 12 miles as my long run distance.

Long story short, the rest of January, until the end, is less structured for me, so I'm going to try to maintain that 36mpw average for the next 4 weeks which will give me a total of 144 miles for the month, plus whatever I run on the last 2 days of the month, when I begin my plan.

New goal: Stay healthy (colds not counting) so I can begin "real" marathon training at the end of the month, with a nominal mileage goal of 140 miles.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk.

I'm bonkers. I think I need an antidepressant. Alex is leaving in 16 hours. DH is a pain. I'm feeling a little anxious? But, I'm using this to dig in to a running plan, even if it's hard. No violin practice. DH has been home. Maybe I'll fess up I have it an practice in the garage.

0/30 running miles
    0.50 walking miles

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half

@Elise4270 Hugs. You've been through a long tough period just with your recovery from surgery, let alone your son now having the DUI accident.

I think an antidepressant is probably overdue. Make an appointment ASAP. And keep us updated. You're like our family. :heart:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    11km walk today, and 20 minutes of yoga.

Back to work tomorrow, feeling refreshed.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @orphia. I made an appointment.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner @MNLittleFinn No headphones is the only way I can run these days; music would just distract me (as crazy as that sounds). And resisting the urge to stop running and start dancing instead sounds like more effort than the actual running itself, lol.

--

I think I'm going to be dialing back the running this month, and focus more on some glute and hamstring strength-work instead, as I'm starting to feel a little nagging pain creeping in deep under my left butt cheek; nothing too serious for now, but a warning sign that something is starting to become a little too strained and therefore needs to be remedied. Therefore this month I'll be taking it slow and easy for sure...I don't want an injury to prevent me from even getting to the start line of the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K!

Soooo....

01 - 5.21 miles

Total: 5.21 / 75
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk.

I'm bonkers. I think I need an antidepressant. Alex is leaving in 16 hours. DH is a pain. I'm feeling a little anxious? But, I'm using this to dig in to a running plan, even if it's hard. No violin practice. DH has been home. Maybe I'll fess up I have it an practice in the garage.

0/30 running miles
    0.50 walking miles

Advisable races:

I have to confess being slightly amused that your cat knows about your violin but your DH doesn't. Aren't you afraid that your cat will let your secret out of the bag? By the way, I receive sheet music for my flute for Christmas....so exciting.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post my monthly challenge goal. After failing to meet my goal 2 months in a row, I am staying with the 50 mile goal for this month and at least one in outside per week.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk.

0/30 running miles
    0.50 walking miles

Advisable races:

I have to confess being slightly amused that your cat knows about your violin but your DH doesn't. Aren't you afraid that your cat will let your secret out of the bag? By the way, I receive sheet music for my flute for Christmas....so exciting.

Haha! The cat is my ally. Well, she's MY baby. She's been good about staying out from under the bed. In fact, both of 'em have. One use to run under there just to have dh chase her. The violin might be in their way now.... he knows I wanted one. So it'll be no surprise when he finds out. I can just say "remember? I told you....." And he's defenseless because he can't remember anything (other than he's constantly angry about something). :expressionless:

I've been printing simple stuff of online. I'm hoping this week I'll have another 2-3 simple songs under my belt.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1/1: rest day

TOTAL: 0/130 (goal subject to change)

Kicking off 2017 with a rest day to recover from staying up wayyy past my normal bedtime last night and also traveling back to Columbus today. Actually, I started off the year with a strength workout called "walking/standing in heels for 5+ hours" haha! My legs were so sore this morning and sitting in the car for 6 hours today didn't really help.

In other running-related news, I officially ordered my new watch tonight and also registered for my first race of 2017. The race is actually a marathon relay with my mom and sisters in the Illinois Marathon in April. My leg of the race will be 6.9 miles. It should be fun as I haven't done a relay before and the four of us haven't run a race together since my first 5k in 2011. I plan to register for a half marathon taking place in 2 weeks and Flying Pig full marathon after I get my doctor's approval on Friday. I also have the Columbus Marathon and several other races on my radar for this year.
  • heartsomething
    heartsomething Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Goal: 20 miles a week

back to the C25K for me! I used to run, and then got really into cycling, and then I got hit by a car, and then it was a year of recovery, and now its been about 6 months of not taking care of myself.. Happy New Year!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'd be stressed too! My hubby recently started trying an antidepressant. He has had a hard time coping with being sick again after 7 years of remission.

Super busy day with a short nap between the busyness. I'll run tomorrow afternoon after rain passes. I return to work Tuesday. My office has been closed since Dec 15 and of course I was out of state most of the time. We have a cold front coming Tuesday also. Crazy up and down temps here.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    No running for me until Tuesday, but I just wanted to pop in and say that everyone's goals on here are so amazing! Great job to those who have gotten started and good luck to those who are taking it easy today :)
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,,,Total
    1/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0
    2/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.3

exercise.png[\img]
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1/1: rest day

TOTAL: 0/130 (goal subject to change)

Kicking off 2017 with a rest day to recover from staying up wayyy past my normal bedtime last night and also traveling back to Columbus today. Actually, I started off the year with a strength workout called "walking/standing in heels for 5+ hours" haha! My legs were so sore this morning and sitting in the car for 6 hours today didn't really help.

In other running-related news, I officially ordered my new watch tonight and also registered for my first race of 2017. The race is actually a marathon relay with my mom and sisters in the Illinois Marathon in April. My leg of the race will be 6.9 miles. It should be fun as I haven't done a relay before and the four of us haven't run a race together since my first 5k in 2011. I plan to register for a half marathon taking place in 2 weeks and Flying Pig full marathon after I get my doctor's approval on Friday. I also have the Columbus Marathon and several other races on my radar for this year.

Wonderful! I haven't done a race in more than a year. But reading your post has me tempted to do one.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For anyone trying to figure out goals for the year, someone posted this in one of my running groups on FB and I thought it was pretty helpful :)
    md2kebd6bsgn.jpg

Thanks for this. Very helpful.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello people. Sorry for skipping the past 2 months. I took a 3 week running break to wait for my strange ankle pain to pass in october and then never got into logging here but I still ran. December was my highest mileage month yet. I managed almost 2000 km in 2016, most of them from june though so I really hope I make it double this year.

I'll be shooting for 350 km (217ish miles) in January. Happy new year to everyone

Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km

exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @garygse and @MNLittleFinn I actually prefer no music when I trail run, but for a long run on the weekend, listening to some good music while I run alone is my happy time. I do sing along quite a bit which helps make sure I'm running at a slow enough pace. ;) It actually wasn't as bad as I thought, but I definitely prefer music!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Happy new year to everyone! My target is the same elusive 50 km in January. exercise.png