January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm in with a goal of 60 miles. 2 down from yesterday!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So, decided to change my goal. Some context. I decided to stop having my Aunt coach me. She's nice and all, but only having 1 week of training at a time was driving me crazy, because I like to see the full arch of training and how things fit. Then I began looking at training plans.

This led me to making a "to hell with it" decision, and I'm actually BUYING a custom training plan. The plan will be 20 weeks, which means it will start the last week of this month/first week of next month. On the questionnaire I filled out, I used my 4 week average of 36 for the weekly mileage question. This is a little lower than I could do, but is still decent for me, using 12 miles as my long run distance.

Long story short, the rest of January, until the end, is less structured for me, so I'm going to try to maintain that 36mpw average for the next 4 weeks which will give me a total of 144 miles for the month, plus whatever I run on the last 2 days of the month, when I begin my plan.

New goal: Stay healthy (colds not counting) so I can begin "real" marathon training at the end of the month, with a nominal mileage goal of 140 miles.

That's a good plan. When you start your structured training program, you will have a very solid base of 36 miles per week.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 5 miles
    1/2: 2.4 miles

Extending the holiday run streak... I'm now at 40 straight days of running! I thought that by now I'd be totally over this whole streaking business, but my legs feel just fine so I'll keep going for a while.

Last morning in Iowa today :/ Flying back to NJ around 3:30 this afternoon. Back to the office grind tomorrow (and the gym, hooray!).

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile (trail)
    3/12: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)
    7/1: Finger Lakes Fifties 50k (trail)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    [
    That's a good plan. When you start your structured training program, you will have a very solid base of 36 miles per week.

Thanks. I needed to hear that.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    1/1 rest. Colds suck
    1/2- 5.23.

Total: 5.23

Monthly goal: stay healthy and continue base building to start marathon training at thr end of thr month. Nominal mileage goal: 140 miles.

Today's notes: ran inside today, with snow falling and a cold, it seemed prudent. Ran 1 mile warm up, than 3x1mile at HMP with 1 minute rest between repeats and 1 mile cool down. Averaged 9:09 on the repeats and ran the last mile at 9:57 which is just faster than GMP. I felt better during the run than before it and better than I feel now.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

To be fair, the age group in local races got a lot less competitive after I turned 60.

I fully endorse this ...... as an LV60 I do soooooo well with age category results :D:D

Jan: 45 miles running.

exercise.png

1st: 3.88 miles, Park Run - MTD 3.88
    2nd: 5 miles, Wk11:D2 C210k - MTD 8.88
  • Run4theluvofit
    Run4theluvofit Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm getting back into running after injury in 2016. I'll take it slow for a couple of months. My goal is 45 miles for January.

1/2: 1.5 miles
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    1/1: Masters Runners 10-Minute Strength Circuit
    1/2: 4 miles

4 of 50

Played around on some random hills around home. Nice to have this day off of work to enjoy a leisurely run in the daylight.

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jan 02     6.5        6.5

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country

January total to date – 12.51

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – The original plan was to take today as a rest day. But yesterday I noticed that the grass was mostly clear of snow, and the forecast for this morning was temperatures just above freezing, with showers starting this afternoon. I decided it was a good morning to go do my first run in spikes, my new Saucony Kilkennys (pictures from after running):

ho52smsjc5p3.jpg
    9bgt5flyk12a.jpg

These were the first Saucony cross country spikes I found in my size after running Club Nationals in Florida last month. They aren't very aggressive, as spikes go. Note that they have only 4 spikes on the shoe, as opposed to 6 or 7 for more aggressive models. They shipped with quarter inch spikes, which I installed after I received them. I also bought some 3/8 inch spikes, but I reasoned that since I've never run in spikes it would be a good idea to start out less aggressive.

Late this morning I took the spikes and drove to Genesee Valley Park, where the club had some cross country practice sessions earlier this year. (I missed most of them because I was injured.) As predicted, most of the snow was gone from the grass:

6hbaibv0rxfj.jpg
    gcbdh2qf9gp3.jpg
    2i6fsidamcak.jpg

I changed from my Kinvaras, which I wore to drive, into the Kilkennys, and went out to run around the section the club had used for cross country practice. I noticed right away how light the Kilkennys are; going from the Kinvaras to the Kilkennys was like going from Peregrines to Kinvaras. The Kilkennys don't say, but they felt like zero drop. There was amazing tactile feedback from the ground. I could easily tell by feel the difference between frozen ground, unfrozen ground, and the in between stuff with frozen clumps. I did not slip at all crossing the snowy and icy patches.

Ran around the section looking for different terrain to run on. Ran some flat grass, some inclines, under some trees where there are roots, over some cutesy rolls of terrain far too small to be called hills, and got used to the shoes. The traction is better than I've had for grass before; I wonder how good it would be if I'd got 6-spike Carreras and used 3/8 inch spikes? I made a point to run across asphalt trails a couple times to get a feel for what the spikes did when they hit asphalt.

It was a good run to break in the shoes and become accustomed to running in lightweight spikes. Ended up with 2.12 miles by Garmin in 17:03, for an average pace of 8:02 per mile; but it was just a warmup. At the ambient temperature, I didn't work up a sweat. My friend Jim would say, "hardly worth washing the tights." (Yes, ladies, I put the tights into the laundry afterward anyway.)

I could have kept going for another 2 or 3 miles, but I stopped because this was supposed to be a rest day, I got done what I wanted to do in the 2 miles I ran, and at that point it still felt just about like a rest day.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles with Macy Pup

5.5 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

My legs were sore from yesterday so I wanted to just do a quick 1.5 around the neighborhood. Macy hasn't run in a while so I took her with me, she loves to run. Skip was a T&F practice.

@mobycarp love the spikes. Skip used to wear the same Saucony's but in light blue, I think she's wearing Brooks now. She loves how much lighter they are to run in, sometimes she'll run in them without the spikes in them if the course has lots of "road" stretches.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

I did Madkin and Weeden mountains this morning over on post. That's 981 feet elevation. I need to do this more often since I felt so out of shape while doing it. I'm also thinking about signing up for the Hound Dog Half up in Elkmont and is in less than 3 weeks. This was the same race last year that a bloodhound got loose from their owner's yard and joined the racers and ran the entire course (got 7th place OA). It was all over the news.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1/1: rest day
    1/2: 5 miles

TOTAL: 5/130 (goal subject to change)

5 miles today in 46:14 (9:15 pace). Weather was around 45F and it felt great to just run in a thin long sleeved shirt, thin leggings, and no headband/gloves. I didn't intend on going so fast and kept telling myself to slow down the first few miles but I guess after a day of rest and sitting in the car all day yesterday, my legs just wanted to GO. Tiny bit of shin pain in the beginning but went away almost immediately.

As I was contemplating what my running schedule should look like this week, I decided to sit down and figure out what I would like my marathon training plan to look like. I was going to wait until after my doctor's appointment on Friday to put something together after I (hopefully) get the okay to train for Flying Pig but I decided I'd like to have a plan to show the doc or at least have an idea. After some searching around, I decided that I'll probably look to Hal Higdon's Advanced 1 marathon training plan as a guide, adapting as needed. As it turns out, the plan is 18 weeks and I'm 18 weeks out from Flying Pig, so today was day 1. I was thinking about jumping into the plan around week 3 or increasing some of the mileage the first few weeks since I'm already a little ahead of where the plan starts, but I think I'll err on the more conservative side to prevent further injury to my shin. As the plan is now, I'll be running more days in a row than I have been recently so it may be a good idea to keep daily mileage a little lower while my body gets used to that again. I added up mileage for January, and I should be right around my goal of 130 if I'm able to train as planned. I'm really looking forward to getting my new watch and figuring out my HR zones so that I can run based off those if I choose to do so.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @stoshew71 the Hound Dog half is going to be big this year, they have already doubled their registration from years past. That dog running was the best think to happen to Elkmont's Cross Country/T&F team, who the race benefits. They raised enough money in this race for equipment, their XC team didn't have to pay any fees to run this year and runners who made State in T&F had their costs to go to Gulf Shores paid for...I love a good cause.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I completely feel off the wagon in December (except that I ate very few sweets!), but it's time to focus on that marathon training plan!

I'm shooting for 45 miles in January. My 2017 goal is 400 miles.

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So 50.5 miles this week and a 15 mile long run, and back to a 6 day week.
    So that is my biggest week since running RCM. On my way back to base building and putting in the heavy miles needed for running the Kentucky Derby. April 29 will be here before I know it.

I may try some light legwork with dumbells this coming week and will start thinking about adding in elevation. Basically that means running Madkin Mountain on Redstone.

@Stoshew71 Every time you post about running the KDM, I get more jealous. I think I may have mentioned this before, but the KDM 2014 was my first marathon and that trip was my introduction into horse racing. I'm a pretty big horse racing fan now and would love to go back for the marathon and be able to visit a few farms and the museum again, now that I know a lot more about the sport. It doesn't look like that trip is in the cards this year (there's a lot of other things I need time off for this year). Hopefully next year.

@kristinegift Wow, 50k is a great goal and I know you'll rock it! I've been toying with the thought of doing a 50k too, but I'm thinking it will be either late 2017 or in 2018

@ddmom0811 Glad to hear you're feeling better!

@katharmonic Sounds like a fun race. I've never heard of a race with a surprise distance before...interesting!

@skippygirlsmom Love both of those pics. The second one was my phone background for a long time (without the numbers of course).

@MobyCarp Congrats on a great race and PR!

1/1: 19 miles!! But my headphones died after 3.7 miles. :'(

@BeeerRunner Great long run! That really stinks about the headphones on a long run like that. Occasionally something like that will happen to me and I realize I enjoy running without music more than I realize, butttt not on a long run like that. Also, did you mention that you're following the Hal Higdon Advanced Marathon plan? I decided to loosely follow his Advanced 1 plan too.

Wonderful! I haven't done a race in more than a year. But reading your post has me tempted to do one.
    @SweatsOnSunday Go for it!

@MobyCarp Love the new shoes. While we're posting new shoe pics, here are my new Brooks that my mom gave me for Christmas a few days ago (we celebrated while I was in Chicago). I also got a new headlamp, shoe lights, entry to a few races, and some running clothes. I love getting new running gear!
    whuigaaamoj8.jpg

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 That would have been nice to meet someone from mfp at the race.

@skippygirlsmom Yes, it's a very good cause. I have a very light race schedule so far. I'm concentrating too much on KDM.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I also got a new headlamp, shoe lights, entry to a few races, and some running clothes. I love getting new running gear!

Are these, by chance, the shoe lights I saw on Shark Tank a short while ago? Let us know what you think.

I received Knuckle Lights as a gift a few years ago. Never got used to all the light movement you get with them and quickly went back to using a headlamp alone.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 I love Brooks so I love them! Sorry about your Buckeyes this weekend. My cousin is an Ohio State grad and I went to visit him while he was going to school there, what a great campus. I love getting new running gear woohoo!