Paleo diet: honest debate

1234568»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I eat quite similar to Paleo and love it, with the big exception of dairy. (I also eliminated or reduced foods based on how they made me feel, not because it may have been how our ancestors ate.) I agree with their principals to eat clean organic preservative-free foods, and not to eat foods that upset our digestion, but I can't embrace the 'no dairy' rule. I have tried to find convincing reports and studies as to why I should avoid dairy (other than an obvious allergy situation), but nothing has convinced me. I've read a lot by Campbell, Ornish and the whole vegan community too. I don't guzzle milk or anything like that, just some cream in my coffee, cheese on my salad, and some fruit with Greek yogurt each day. I feel like I get all of the benefits listed by Paleo, but I will never identify myself as Paleo because I eat dairy. However I do think it's a healthy plan, just not for everyone as it require a lot of planning.

That's a good approach, but what evidence have you found against barley, or oatmeal, or legumes.. some of the staples of the healthiest communities.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Never mind the debatable point of whether or not paleo truly represents what all, or most, of our distant ancestors ate. A diet that consists mostly of vegetables, fruit, high quality meat and nuts is not overly restrictive and can be extremely healthy, without the kind of planning, and supplement use, that you'd need for going vegan, for example. If you eat organ meats and marrow, the diet would be even better.

What minerals are in grains that you can't get in the foods on your paleo plan?

It was more to do with milk (the mineral concern). But calcium can be acquired from other sources.

Maybe paleo is the wrong word, I just think the diet mimics what I'm trying to achieve.

You can get calcium from marrow or bone broth if you want to be strict, and also from leafy greens and nori. You can also be less strict and still have dairy. It's your diet, and being as paleolithic as possible doesn't have to be your goal.

Calcium in nori? I've eaten loads of it over the years and the packaging always lists 0 calcium.

ETA: I found some online listing as high as 2% per serving. Even at that level it's hardly a good source. Seems to me it would be better to consume dairy absent a specific allergy or other diagnosed issue with dairy. The long-term negative effects of too little calcium aren't worth the fun of a fad diet.

Eat some frickin bone marrow then. People who can't have dairy manage to get their calcium, and the real issue is how well you absorb it, so get your D.

Wrong again. Plenty of calcium in bone but very little in bone marrow. Osteoporosis isn't a joke and these diets are inviting it.

Dairy is not the best source for calcium because it is not readily absorbed from it. The majority of the world's population does just fine without milk. There are many many sources of calcium that are compatable with paleo or low carb diets. Your statements are unfounded.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Calcium/Food-Sources-of-Calcium.aspx According to the chart, dairy is not one of the best sources for Ca.

Yikes dairy is so acidic it actually prevents calcium from it to be absorbed.

When will this myth die out? :/
    Dairy calcium remains one of the best absorbed sources. If anything, oxalates in spinach interfere with calcium absorption to a large degree and sodium in sardines and salmon somewhat increases the amount dumped with urine.

Generally most food sources of calcium have less than 50% bioavailability, certain dairy products are way on the top of the list. For those interested in highly absorbable plant forms, kale and bok choy are your friend. If we are talking about the amount of absorbed calcium per serving, taking into account both amount per serving and bioavailability, dairy tops the list.

All of that doesn't matter though. There are many sources of calcium and many calcium fortified foods, so it's easy to obtain. It's just annoying how some myths won't die out.

P.S: The alkaline diet is a bunch of hooey and acids are actually used to increase the bioavailability of some supplemental forms of calcium.

Not true your view is the myth but I respect your opinion.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I eat quite similar to Paleo and love it, with the big exception of dairy. (I also eliminated or reduced foods based on how they made me feel, not because it may have been how our ancestors ate.) I agree with their principals to eat clean organic preservative-free foods, and not to eat foods that upset our digestion, but I can't embrace the 'no dairy' rule. I have tried to find convincing reports and studies as to why I should avoid dairy (other than an obvious allergy situation), but nothing has convinced me. I've read a lot by Campbell, Ornish and the whole vegan community too. I don't guzzle milk or anything like that, just some cream in my coffee, cheese on my salad, and some fruit with Greek yogurt each day. I feel like I get all of the benefits listed by Paleo, but I will never identify myself as Paleo because I eat dairy. However I do think it's a healthy plan, just not for everyone as it require a lot of planning.

That's a good approach, but what evidence have you found against barley, or oatmeal, or legumes.. some of the staples of the healthiest communities.

I thought I covered that when I mentioned I eliminated and reduced foods based on how the made me feel. Not looking to get baited into a debate, as your miles may vary too. Respect?

• christel2
    christel2 Posts: 6 Member
    I just bought a gallon of black strap molasses, and was searching here to as if anyone has good recipes that use black strap molasses, do you have any favorites you can think of ?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    christel2 wrote: »
    I just bought a gallon of black strap molasses, and was searching here to as if anyone has good recipes that use black strap molasses, do you have any favorites you can think of ?

Oatmeal raisin cookies would be good.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    gftvcx5k882b.jpeg

2012 was eating fairly clean. Ish, with treats ect and playing a lot of roller derby.

2013 was 9 months strict paleo with crossfit x3 per week.

I now eat a paleo template (nuts/seeds/fruit/veg/meat) but also a little rice and legumes plus protein powder.

I love eating the paleo diet but there is a lot of pseudoscience mixed in with the legit benefits of not eating chemicals don't nourish you.