yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Resurrecting... Haha!

I didn't even catch that! Lol
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to need to live forever. mmmk?

If doing a closed casket, do you HAVE to be embalmed? Honestly, out of the whole process, injecting me with a bunch of stuff and draining my blood is horrifying. Yes, I'm dead...but anyway.

I just want to be shoved in a box with a closed casket funeral. Can I forego embalming? Please? lol
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In Canada (and I'm sure that it is the same in the States ), no you do not have to be embalmed. In fact, some religions forbid it (the Jewish religion for example). In religious cases, funerals usually take place 24-72 hours after death so keeping the body cool is more than good enough. When funerals could not take place for several days or weeks, and with inadequate refrigeration, embalming was the only way to preserve the body. Some religions customarily use a wood only coffin, and no concrete vault in the grave to encourage decomposition. Embalming/metal composite coffins/concrete vaults all encourage the preservation of the body. Ask in the area where you live, as I don't believe that many know that embalming is optional.

Yes you can still have an open casket with no embalming.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If a person is really heavy (say like 300lbs), how do you get them into a casket?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, can we be friends? Because there are always questions I have unless it's right now and I'm on the spot to be able to bring up one of those questions. (sigh) If nothing else, I can keep you entertained with sarcasm until then.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    @MadMaxV8 They sure do, in all sorts of colors, and even commando!
    @Miz_T I would gladly accept your friend request :smiley:
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh...I do have one! I have tattoos and I heard I can arrange to have them tanned and saved for my kids (weird, I know. Midkid who loves weird stuff was kinda freaked out about this one...odd). Do the morticians arrange to have that done through a private company? How does that work?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    @Miz_T Hmmm I've never heard of anyone doing that. Any other incisions to a body that does not have to do with embalming or removing a pace maker are considered mutilation to a corpse and could land you a few years in prison. I think I'll pass.

@MadMaxV8 Weirdest clothing item was a tube top and the weirdest undergarment was a thong :/
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

Were they from Georgia?

Nope

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Questions.

OK, Why does the blood go down the drain? Is it not usable once someone dies and why?

What is the most common place they take skin from in a skin donation? Muscle?

How DO you keep a mouth shut if it isn't cooperative?

Did they use to sew eyes and mouths shut before your fancy contact things?

Why is open-casket seemingly the biggest tradition? I've heard it's to "say goodbye" or provide peace to the family, but really... I'd rather they not have an image of me dead in their heads. Why?? Why why why? Can I voluntarily insist on a closed casket before they burn me? While playing Purple People Eater? Maybe?

Is jewelry removed before cremation? What about that big mac and fries? Can you burn that with the body?

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I made it through this whole thread...just got to the end and hit refresh to make sure. Great thread OP!!!

Yes - count me in on the book pre-order.

Now for my two questions:

How hot is the fire used for cremation?
    and
    When you cremate someone, does smoke come out of the chimney?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Thank you madam
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Still the most interesting thread on the board! And I adore your new profile pic.

Agree. On both counts. :)
  • rather_be_snacking
    rather_be_snacking Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This thread is absolutely fascinating! Can I be your friend too, please. Why is there no smoke from the crematorium after the first body??
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

If we could combine it with the selfie thread then we would really have sumtin!!!

Oh goodness, I would get life in prison and be sued a million times! If I do go to prison will you at least bring me a big mac and fries?

@rather_be_snacking It goes out the chimney

• LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Sounds like a plan