WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,668 Member
    Options
    supposed to b 18 degrees tomorrow morning.. year round riding at it's finest.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

One of my things to try for January is to read all the posts but only respond to a few so I feel like I have time (and space) to write a bit more about what is going on with me…

I am feeling very disconnected and not sure of my direction in 2017, I am realizing that I want to be more involved/supportive of things that matter to me, environment, women’s rights, concern about bulling; but not clear how to do that.. I also am facing a year with many more challenges within my bio-family; the dysfunction was ramped up over the holiday, and while I was safely off enjoying the holiday with friends, things were not safe within my family. While the perpetrator is not someone I care for the rest of the family are people I love. But none of them will call the police, or reach out in any other way for help. The perpetrator has drug/alcohol and anger issues. I have done all I can with counseling and legal assistance but if the victims do not want help and deny that there is an issue my hands are tied, sad.

Time and budget are an ongoing concern, some times of the year I have too much time and no cash flow other times cash flow and no time, but the times of better cash flow are not enough to get me through the tight times with any comfort.

December with crazy with work, and celebration opportunities, I was very happy to have only gained 2.5 lbs and that will be gone in a couple of weeks I’m sure.

I have not adopted a word in the past, but Be Present, I think will be my word….

Barbie – thanks for welcoming into 2017

Michele – I have had the problem with apple pie that you have, so this year for Christmas I tried something different and it was completely successful!!! So I made the pie crust as “normal”; I cored and peeled apples and cut them into rather thick slices, then piled them into to the pie shell so they were piled high (this is to get the right amount of apples) then I took them out and put them into a sauce pan with ½ cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg – I cooked them on low until about the apples are about ½ done, then I took the apple slices out draining BUT KEEPING all the liquid - I put the apples into the pie crust lined pie plate. Into the juice I slowly sprinkled and stirred in 4 tablespoons of flour heating and stirring until the juice was thick. I then poured it over the apples, added a top crust. Cooked it the normal amount (425 for about 20 min) and it was perfect, and got rave reviews.

Lisa – smiles! Also thought that maybe you could grow and use spaghetti squash instead of noodles… I know you are not a huge veggie eater, but with enough sauce???

Allie – this lawyer is a good start but I want you to have the best and a divorce lawyer is the way to go – I have too many friends who did it with a general lawyer and while it is completely legal they did not get their fair share and in one case as soon as it was over the man announced on facebook he had hidden and not shared over a million dollars, and my friend ended up barely scraping by….

December Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….
    Read and report on a book – failed for dec.
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be. Failed for dec.
    11,000 + steps everyday – all but one day!
    Work on water consumption – did good on this.
    Lunch with Kyle - Done

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just read through Page 7, so have some catching up to do but wanted to say hello! I'm pretty excited about my weigh in today. Not only did I lose the 5 lbs I gained over the holidays, but I lost an extra 2 lbs! That was pretty good news.

Michele in NC Love your perspective on age! "you're as old as you feel and I feel 39" So true! I truly do not feel nearly 57 years old! Thank you for the tip about the hydrogen peroxide! I will definitely try it. Drops of blood from poking my fingers with a needle repeatedly are NOT cute on a baby quilt! LOL

Jana from Virginia: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Allie: I agree with Lisa in West Texas. I don’t know the history of your divorce, but the fact you are filing tells me you are unhappy and deserve better. You are NOT a failure.

NYKaren I love your tips about getting yourself to go to the gym after work, and I REALLY loved your tip on throwing your wallet in the trunk so you can’t go through the drive thru! Awesome! Haha! I’m going to use that one.

Carol: Your goal “to turn the tv off more often, read more, and move more” is one I am also going for. I haven’t figured out how to do it yet, since my DH has a tv on at all times and in every room he goes into. Drives me insane! I love the quiet and it is never quiet now that he has retired. So, I will have to be creative. I’m thinking about fixing up a nice corner in our basement where I can go be alone to read. Half of our basement is finished, so I think that might be the way to go! Good luck!

I'm unplugging soon and going to bed to read, so I will be back on tomorrow! Again, I love how this thread is just sharing and women chatting. No drama. No judging. Really a change from Facebook! I'm so thankful for you all.

Have a wonderful night and a beautiful brand new day tomorrow, ladies!

Tracie in WI
    If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got! Time for a change
    Word for 2017 is Serenity.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ (Janet #1) Beautiful picture of you. I love your hair color and style. I'd love to wear my hair like that, but I have a Charlie Brown head :) Also love your dress and your lipstick and necklace, lol Well you get the picture. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Kelley Coffee Meyers DVD 30 Minutes to Fitness. There are two workouts, I did them both along with the abs section. The plan for tomorrow is to try the Stairmaster at the Y.

Does anyone know what's up with MFP? I've been getting these e-mails "your weekly digest". I just started getting them. At first I thought it was them trying to get me to sign up for their prime (or whatever its called) service, but I got it again today.

Welcome everyone new!

Volunteered at the Green Room, then returned some sheets I'd gotten (Vince didn't like them) then played mahjongg. Tonight we went to see Star Wars Rogue One. Brought dried peas with me, carrots and water. A lady from Newcomers said she wanted to come by tonight to see the decorations, if she doesn't come, she knows that tomorrow we're going to start taking them down. Update: she did come over. Gave her the brownies I'd made for her birthday and finished up the shrimp tarts I had.

janet - thanks for telling us about Mia. Wow! I've sure missed her. So glad to hear the surgery went well for her. Give her my best the next time you're in touch

Alison - you are NOT a failure. Not by any stretch of the imagination. You are a strong, caring person

NYKaren - what a great suggestion to keep your wallet in the trunk! I never thought of that but you are so right

Michelle - impressive!

Belle - you'll never get everyone straight. I've been here for a few years and I STILL don't have everyone straight! Just enjoy this thread

janet - i also love your pic

Joyce - a friend of mine's hubby worked in a hosp and he's the person who told me that they used hydrogen peroxide on bloody sheets and it took the blood out

Speaking of the Bay Area of CA and veggies, has anyone heard from sister veggie queen?

lklinkman - I weight weekly. There are too many fluctuations day to day that I would get frustrated. Weigh yourself at the same time every day, however often you decide to weigh yourself

Becca - so proud of you for donating blood. Isn't that endangered species chocolate good? And not high in calories, either

Barbara - where in NC are you? We have quite a few NC'ers here

barbie - what was the home remedy?

Kim - for some reason I was thinking that the apples should be cooked. Last time when I made a cranberry/apple crunch, I did let the apples sit in the sugar overnight, but there was still some juice. I'll be sure to try the cooking method next time. Thanks. I love spaghetti squash with tomato sauce on it!

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

I am so encouraged by the many new ladies here. I had a great deal of success with using MFP and interacting with these friends for a little more than a year. Then I got derailed, quit participating here, and gained back my weight plus more. I have been back since October and it has been like coming home. I hope you newbies will stick around.

DJ - great picture!

Kim - so sorry about your family situation. It sounds like you have a good perspective on it.

Getting up and moving has really helped me. My outlook has been so much better. I had a very productive and happy day.

I have chosen my word for 2017 - FOCUS

Focus on the present, not the past or future
    Focus on the good things I have done, not all the things I haven't done
    Focus on healthy choices and proactive ways I can improve my life, not things that bring instant gratification
    Focus on what I have been blessed with, not what I don't have
    Focus on my faith and WWJD

Toni in Tennessee

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Toni in TN - Love your FOCUS resolutions. Great going and so glad you are back among us.

Janetr 7476
  • msfanglet
    msfanglet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing ? It's day 3 of the new year. Are you feeling strong? I'm sticking to my goals! My son just got me a new yoga mat for my upcoming birthday. The mat will be here Friday. Probably won't get a chance to use it til Sunday. I'm currently walking 7600 steps a day, and 45 mins of yoga daily, and 1 hr of pedalling(while I'm working). Not a lot of room to add, but I plan to squeeze some weights in somewhere. I'm starting to get 'bingo arms' ...if you know what I mean..lol.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Toni in TN: I agree with JanetR. I love your focus resolutions. Great idea and good choices, too. :heart:

Katla in C-C-C-COLD NW Oregon
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies! Marni - nice to see another Canuk :)

Temp here today is -15 C feels like -22 with windchill. Still following all of the eye routines and can't spend too much time on the computer as it makes eyes even drier. Hoping that my appointment with the ophthalmologist next week shows improvement. I'm going to repeat my Dec goals for January.

Toni: Your thoughts about focus are excellent!

Have a good evening ladies,

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary – I only weigh every 2 weeks on a Tuesday, I do NOT weigh at home on our scales, they are not at all dependable and weigh ‘heavy’. Weighing daily would be a ‘negative thing’ for me and I’d be more likely to just ‘throw up my hands and quit’.

I have no idea what color team I am on, I think not knowing what is expected of me is only going to frustrate me with it. It’s like the person in charge thinks everybody has been through this before.

Becca – Great! Hope that empty feeling and slight headache went away. Yep, I know about that 'endangered species of special chocolate'. I found some that Louis had put in the fridge. I ate almost the rest of it; and, he was kind enough to even share the last piece even 'after' I told him the chocolate factory took it to make more, and, then - did not deliver on their promise. He told me that he keeps buying 'cheese' for the 'rat' in the house, and, I should stop taking his candy bars. Mmmm!!!

DJ – My oldest sister fell in love with a neighbor’s ‘white’ hair (when she was 10); and ‘prayed’ to have ‘white hair’ herself, which was answered. She was totally white haired by her mid-30’s.

Pip – Most Sundays I don’t exercise; it’s a ‘cheat day’ insofar as exercise goes. I’ve done a little walking on treadmill every day. Nothing compared to what you do, I’m probably ‘dead’ by your standards … or, at least ‘in a coma’.

Lisa – Yes, definitely a ‘life sentence’; but, ‘if’ you start noticing any changes; make sure you go get your ‘thyroid levels’ checked so MD can adjust it. I'd suggest, at least every 6 months. It is the thermostate of our body and can really throw off everything, how you feel, sleep, able to loose weight, or just the opposite. When I was taking Lithium … it would mess my Lithium levels up and every 6 months we were trying to get my Lithium levels straight; and, then other MD would take my thyroid levels and adjust my medications according to what was considered 'textbook therapeutic' ... something I have 'never' been with any type of medication where a level check is done - number-wise. I finally got him to call the other MD; so then he stopped trying to adjust it according to the ###s; but, more to ‘how I was feeling’. That worked better; then my MD had to retire from his practice due to health and it took me 7 years to finally find one who was a total 'idiot'. Also, took taking one before the Composite State Board of Medical Examiners. She was the meanest woman I had ever met; and the Oath she 'supposedly' took ... did not 'stick with her'. Apparently, she thought that was something for all the others to take and uphold.

Barbie – I hate cleaning the bathroom, too; Louis usually helps with the chore. That I am very thankful for.

When we are expecting the Louisiana kids, we do a thorough job as our DYS is a ‘clean freak’ to the ‘nth-degree’.

When we go out there, he is already sweeping the floor as we are packing up. Last time, I told him that it would be best to wait until AFTER we had actually left the house, makes me feel like we have overstayed our welcome.

I’d like the ‘dizziness’ therapy, too! I have medication I take and it works; but, I hate it when I do because it makes me sleepy.

Allie – He could really be hiding money, if there is another woman involved; and, you have pretty well found that out through your sources. Putting money into her name or into a joint checking account with her. I’d get a friend whose car he would not recognize and have them take pictures of them coming and going in-and-out of her condo, or other places. Especially if he is spending a lot of time at “Lowe’s.” But, one thing you do want to do, is beat him to the ‘filing’ of the action. Because you can then have the Judge ‘order’ him to provide a lot of documentation that he also might be hiding from you.

richmondlady – Is that WW soup; or your own recipe? If it is your own, would you share it?

Sue – I was having the ‘identical’ issue about a week or two ago. I was told first off to change my default to Google Chrome because IE has not ‘kept up’ with changes; then I needed to ‘clear my cache, history, and cookies’. So far, knock on wood, which has worked; otherwise I had to “X” out (not log out) and I could come back and be exactly where I had left off reading. Since I use a word processing program side-by-side to the community, I would not lose my ‘responses’ either.

Michele – I do NOT open up any emails from MFP … they might be a scam or like you said, a sales pitch to buy the premium. I just started receiving emails that are supposedly from MFP within the past couple or three weeks. I have a ‘reading pane’ set up on my computer's email program, so that I can actually ‘see’ what is in an email before I decide to open it up or just delete it. Most of the time I don’t open up anything that isn’t familiar to me. I can’t tell you the number of times I have had to have my technical support team to run their security checks and get my computer(s) back up and running like they should. It is worth every dime of what I spend to have an English-speaking technical support team actually located in the USA. I got tired of dealing with techs that could not understand what I was ‘attempting’ to tell them was happening in a chat window. If I am not making myself 'clear' or have numerous issues they will call and then I can have them set it for 'unattended reboot'; so I don't have to actually sit in front of it to reboot it. I’m not so sure I want someone who won’t even ‘use their real’ name (instead, using a short American name such as Tom, Bob, John, and other very common names).

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sue- awesome. It says to do one but I did all three. That's what everyone else posted.

Lenora - did you PM tiffanylacrose? If you can only weigh every two weeks then I would just do that. I know that they have consequences for missing 3weigh ins without notifying an administrator. That was in the information.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Michele I have been receiving those emails from MFP also. I think it's just a new service from them letting you know how you've done the past week.

Somehow I missed the picture of DJ so I need to go back and find it - don't want to miss a good picture!

Lenora and others regarding clearing your cache, cookies, etc. I learned from our IT dept at work many years ago to set up your computer so that every time you log off it automatically deletes all of those things. One less thing to worry about.

Kim I think that's a good plan to only post to a few people at a time. I do that often as I just don't have time to post to everyone all the time. I think our sisters on here understand that we read and care and are sending out telepathic wishes to them.

Time for me to listen to Calm on my phone and meditate. Then off to bed. I could not sleep last night so tonight I really need to sleep!

Before I go I want to share a new Stash tea that I found - Mint Mojito green tea with Matcha. It has a hint of lime and is just delicious. I also love Roobios tea.

Night all!

Gloria in very chilly WA

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    DJ- you look beautiful in your picture. Thanks for sharing :)

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So I'm back once again. I'm thinking my word for this year should be BALANCE. For those of you who remember me, you know it is a struggle for me.
    December was busy! I am thinking that I am burnt out in retail. There has been a discussion of me stepping sideways to allow another assistant manager. More on that later.
    I've missed you all and it will take me time to catch up to where you are at.

Allie - I am so sorry that you are going through this. Please know that you are not a failure, your marriage may have failed but you are not a failure. You are a kind and loving soul. You did everything you could to make it work. Make sure that you have a day of discovery. Remember to be kind to yourself. Now BREATHE.

Janetr OKC - The new picture is awesome and you do look powerful.

DJ - I love this photo of you looking so young and vibrant.

4 extra people and 2 Olde English Bull Dog puppies in our house from Dec 21-27th, then from Dec 31st -Jan2nd. I love them dearly but we were definitely ready to have our space back. It was a lot of fun but also like a flying monkey circus around here. Christmas dinner was at my house, 20+. Deep fried turkey was delicious.
    I loved having all of our kids here and most of the grandkids. I got to spend some quality time making bug houses out of plastic cups and frisbees out of paper plates. New Year's Day was quieter than most because of the bad weather/extreme cold. We still played a few games, ate a lot of food, shared laughter and made memories.

I feel so bad for my DDIL. I wish her Dad could think of her for once. It is not alright the way he treats her. I would love to tell him off but he would have to show up for that. We are never too old to crave a parent's love and attention. Poor Holly. I found her in the bedroom sobbing her heart out on Christmas Day.
    It was a sensitive Christmas with our son's family missing his brother, Steven. Suicide leaves such an aftermath.

We are searching for a kidney for my brother. 3 siblings and none of us eligible to donate a kidney. His son has diabetes and his daughter an erratic heart beat so neither is suitable. This sucks but hopefully we will find someone.

I got the papers today to apply for CPP disability. 16 years ago, I was deemed to have a permanent partial disability so we will see how this goes. I have a novel to read and hoops to jump through.

Now to remember Balance.

Jan goals
    1. To stay more connected.
    2. To organize our house
    3. To apply for disability
    4. To test my sugar levels at least 3x/wk
    5. To eat more vegetables
    6. To laugh and enjoy the moments

-Sharon ( from the deep freeze that is Lethbridge, Alberta)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Press day, but only an 18-page paper today, so not as stressful as some. Our pre-Christmas paper (not counting inserts) was 32 pages, if that tells you anything.

Kim
    - I have tried spaghetti squash in the past. I did not find it appetizing at the time, but have hope that another try might get me there. All I could think of was that I was eating squash entrails. I have a weird imagination. I have to get over my aversion to vegetables sometime, right? :) It could happen.

Advice for the new: I tried really hard to respond to everyone when I first started out here (April will be either two or three years I've been on the thread--I can't remember!) Some of these ladies are tremendously good at responding to a lot of folks, but I found out I could only respond to a few. If you do want to respond to more than one, many keep a Word document or text doc open beside or behind the MFP window while reading, type in responses as they go, and copy and paste at the end, into the reply box.

To those struggling with their own or their spouse/partner's illnesses; it's a constant theme around here, and there will be much support from everyone. Since I've been here, there's been everything from sprains and strains to accidents with broken bones to surgeries to heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic and debilitating conditions or diseases that we're dealing with, either our own or loved ones. This is a good place to simply vent or to get advice. Don't forget to bring your triumphs and joys here, too! We celebrate NSVs (non-scale victories) a lot.

Quick and dirty bio: and any of the long-termers who choose, please join me with yours. It's a good time for intros, here at the start of another year. For those who know me, skip this part! :)

I'm 56 years old, and a newspaper editor right now (went to part-time in December, been struggling with a few health issues), and a writer. I have a couple books up on Amazon (search for Lisa C. Hannon if you're interested, but this isn't a sales pitch). Weight history:
    • Had a gastric bypass in 2005, lost from 303 down to 137 pounds at my lightest.
    • Divorced husband of 27 years after losing all the weight, found the love of my life literally two days after I got back to Texas, married him a year later, and got happy again.
    • Bounced back up to 210 pounds by our five year-mark together. After joining MFP and losing back down as far as 167, I allowed those same health issues, which I should have addressed a year ago but put off, to push another 25 pounds back onto my 5'2" frame since the beginning of last year.
    • Which leaves me at 192 pounds beginning this year.
    Considering that litany of numbers, you may find it odd that I refrain from daily focusing on the numbers too much, but I found out that specific kind of stress wasn't good for me (thank you, Heather in the UK, still, for that advice). Nonetheless, I do weigh every day, and will be working on getting that number lower each month. My goal each month is to "be lighter," and I mean that in every way.

Now tell us who you are!

Got to fly, get a paper out once more.
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • sjb050
    sjb050 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2017
    Lose 50 lbs by June 2017
    Drink at least 4 glasses of. water daily
    Eat 2 servings of vegetables and fruits daily
    Log everything
    Exercise 3 times per week - Just Walk Video
    Find a dr and get a physical
    Read Bible and pray daily
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kim great way to bake apple pie, yum. But no more pie for me right now :| Holiday and family dysfunction, I have been there, it is so very maddening--for decades my DM was enabling an abusive son--I could not fix it. Eventually he was finally out and away from harming her. Breaks your heart-I could only do what she would allow, I did not join in her circle and felt surprisingly left out from the pain they were trapped in, I had to leave the cycle for my own survival as many of us did. We were quite the tag team my sibs and I, took turns bailing out, running to social services, the whole gamut, decades.... Kim wish there was a magic solution, I only have peaceful thoughts and the reminder that you take care of yourself first, before anyone else.

Strategy for the day: when faced with a triggering event (such as my afterschool work meeting) don't sit near the snacks, have crunchy things with you if you feel yourself slipping and have a meal ready to heat up at home so you don't slip everything into your mouth from the stress of the meeting! Wish me luck, I have yet to know if this will work :#
    NYKAREN