WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Janetr- that is quite a workout! Great job!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Whole Earth Crunchy Peanut Butter (100% ground peanuts) but I dare not have it in the house. :o I do have a teaspoon on my lunch bread when I am at my son's in Hove. A rare treat. <3

Drkatie - I remember that you are doing a lot of exercising at the gym. Good going. And the walking is excellent. I think the different thing I got from the book was the benefits of really vigorous, breathless exercise. Apparently it does all sorts of good things to fight decay and inflammation. I find it hard to get my heart rate right up, but the best machine for that is the elliptical. Mostly I potter along at Moderate, but I occasionally hit Moderate/Hard. For me (it is age related) moderate starts at 112 and moderate/hard at 128. I am not doing brilliantly, but the HRM has certainly upped my game. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Hi all: It was 23* here this morning when I went out to feed horses. I actually put on one of my SD winter coats. The water in the horses's tub was mostly frozen so I had to add hot water to it. Hopefully the sun shining on it will keep it thawed for the rest of the day. The barn cat's water was also frozen. I knocked it out and then put in hot water. She was right there to start drinking that warm water, kind of like coffee or tea for her I guess.

I have used natural peanut butter, just nuts and salt, for a long time. I really like it. I have tried cashew butter and it is okay just very pricey.

Pip - Your picture was very summery and made me feel warm. thanks!

Allie - Hang in there girl.

Cold air is not my friend. Even just the little bit I was outside yesterday and today I can feel it. Yesterday I was wheezing after being out and had to use my inhaler for the first time since last March. Today I feel congested and am coughing more than usual. Hope this cold spell does not last long.

Margaret you and your DH be careful on that ice. We always found sand worked better on ice than kitty litter and could just be swept off into the grass come spring.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the cudos on the new picture. NYKaren, I didn't realize it was a "power pose". lol

Mary I don't use heavy weights like you do. I'm using 8# or 10# dumbells and doing 3 sets of 15 reps. I do a few for my legs with 5# ankles weights. Then I do several for arms, squats and crunches, with a rest of 30-60 seconds between sets. I warm up before hand and stretch afterwards totaling the 80-90 minutes. Its not as strenuous and it sounds.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    tracie, hydrogen peroxide is your friend if you have blood on something. As a former nurse, we used it all the time

Allie, you are not a failure. You have tried so much to make this a success, it was Tom who refused to work with you. I can understand that people feel they are something because in their own mind they think they are. Since this is your second divorce I can see your feelings that you aren't the poster child for wonderful romantic marriage. But you have put your all in all in your marriage. It just wasn't noticed by your partner. And that's is the problem. Marriage is between two people, not just one person and the other reaping all the benefits. You know you have each and every one of us on your side through this.

Saw cardiologist this morning. One thing being in this recliner has done for me is to get out all the fluid from my legs and my B/P was 124/76!!!!! I knew what she would say about the medicine that is the culprit in my bleeding. I didn't even ask her. I have only been on it a little over 3 months of the required 12 months. Since I have my MRI this afternoon and I have no idea what they will find and give as treatment, she said to let her know if surgery is needed. But the recliner is working. Plus last night I stopped by our local Sleep Number store to see if they could give me any suggestion. His suggestion was to buy for $200 the sleep IQ to hook into my bed and they could see me on computer and give a suggestion. So I did as Charlie has always been suggesting and played with the numbers myself. When I bought the bed, my number as 45. With the back pain, I had gradually increased it to 60. So after my appointment this morning, I took a nap and decreased it to 50 and I woke up with less pain. So I will see how 50 does for a whole night sleep.

Love my cyber sisters, Joyce, Indiana
  • CaliMom126
    CaliMom126 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year from the Bay Area, California. I'm hoping to get back on track with MFP. Starting again today actually. I like following some groups to get some inspiration. I could lose maybe 50-60 pounds. Haven't been in 'one-derland" for a very long time! very. long. 8-)

I'm 56. I work fulltime. I have a daughter in community college and 7 pets! I have my daily calories set at 1400. I don't want to do it fast, just steady. I'm rehabbing a knee, so doing daily stretches and strength stuff targeted to strengthen the muscles that support the knee. I go at it and it makes me sweat! lol. I have a new-ish bike that I will ride when the weather (and daylight) permits. And my PT says to walk maybe 15-20 minutes daily. I've been cooking more and looking for recipes that are healthy but also fulfill the desire to eat yummy. And I'm also trying to break the sugar habit. The daily 16-oz extra hot mocha from the drive thru coffee place is killing my calorie budget. and when i do get steps and exercise credit, i don't use it to eat more calories (for the most part).

I saw another post saying they chilled out yesterday on drinking and eating and weighed in today. I did the same thing. oye! up 3 lbs from mid-December, the last time I weighed in. Time to buckle down. Again.

Off to heat up my lunch. grilled chicken and chopped veggie salad. yum!

QUESTION - when to weigh in. daily? weekly? I want to be motivated, and not be de-motivated, by my weigh in results. What do ya'll do? and how does it work for you? if you didn't lose, or you (gulp) gained...are you motivated to try something else? or try harder?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Allie – You should not feel bad about going through a 2nd divorce. We’re 100% behind your choice and we will support you so that you can get into a situation where you feel appreciated. Tom certainly doesn’t. Just don’t give in, just because he is ‘supposedly’ acting nice. Remember what you have found out thus far.

Lisa – Were you ‘hyper’ or ‘hypo’ thyroid? I had Grave’s Disease which is the same disorder that Barbara Bush was diagnosed with. My eyes ‘bugged’; but, they settled back into the eye sockets within a year of starting the Synthroid. Just need to take it 30 minutes before you eat (or after) … it has something to do with how it absorbs into your body.

KYKaren – Putting your wallet in the trunk will certainly do it. But, if you got stopped by the cops; they might not want to let you ‘retrieve it’. What I don’t like about motorcyclists is they ‘think’ they are as visible as a car … and sometimes, even they are not visible.

Karen in Virginia – What type of veggie is that little white circle? A small potato or chestnut?

I think any relationship takes both parties (or all parties) putting in 100% of their time and effort into it to decide which partner does certain things that maybe the other doesn’t and come to a good understanding. Louis is good about showing me how to do things that he thinks is important for me to do. He knows how to cook, he washes his own work clothes, I usually fold everything and he puts his away. His mother did a great job teaching him to care for himself. I did not really learn how to cook until I married him and for 2 years my DMnL taught me all that I needed. Watched a lot of suppers that did not have any directions, such as 'gumbo' and 'beef tips'. Never could get the hang of Mahatma rice ... it was always sticky when I made it. She'd make it in a tiny pot that I got when her household was broken up and she had to go into an Assisted Living Facility. She'd cook rice I it; and, then fluffed it up so that it would feed 4 people and still have left-overs. My DYS took my rice pot that I had been using. When I first saw it I said, 'that's my rice pot'! He said, "No Mama, it is now MY rice pot; that is the ONLY thing I cook rice in." So we let him keep it. I had a couple of others that I use.

richmondlady – And what Oprah does not tell anyone is that she has a ‘personal trainer’ who is also working her @$$ off; but, she has yo-yoed from early on in her career. She’s like Marie Osmond, a ‘paid voice’ for a ‘diet’ plan. Here, we’re all unpaid spokes-ladies for how to lose weight by tracking what we eat, drink, and our exercise in order to lose weight safety and hopefully not backslide when we get to our goals. And to stay on here as a habit to remind us to keep tracking. I never lost weight either time I did WW; but, I will admit that I also was not exercising enough.

Mary – I think I need help navigating that Challenge site. I’m getting emails; but, they have all seemed like I am in one that is a ‘repeat’ for others … I’m totally lost. Was able to upload my picture, then it seemed like others were posting but not necessarily on the same thought pattern. It’s probably ‘simple’ and I just feel like I have walked into a big room of strangers.

Yvonne – We have a lot of pecans and peanuts in this area of the State of Georgia. I’d love your pecan butter recipe. I’m sure it is very high in calories; but, I was surprised at how many pecan halves you can eat without going way over … 10 halves have about 196 calories total in them. I make a cream cheese pecan pie … my husband and sons could down one every few weeks if I would make them. Not hard to do, not as rich as a regular pecan pie; but, it is still very rich.

Both sons and their wives are ‘sick’ … Will sounds like he is ‘in the bed’ … like his Dad, if he is bad enough to stay ‘in bed’ … he’s one SICK puppy. Trey is very grumpy! His wife doesn't feel good, you can tell by just looking at her eyes. Girls don't go back to school until tomorrow; maybe they won't come down with it. If Trey exposes his Dad, it will run through this household as well. Flu-like symptoms. Louis got his flu and pneumonia shot this past week. I got mine earlier in the season. If there is a 'bug' to catch ... it's going to jump all over me. UGH!!! Got our Christmas present from Will and his family today; it is a huge throw with pictures of them as a couple; them as a family. Both of us, both of them on their wedding day; and one of Will and Mallory. It’s huge! Love it. Like being able to wrap myself up in my family who are far away!

WOW!!! – Tornado-force winds hit Albany and a lot of downed trees and wires. Going down 3rd (and 2nd) avenues is going to be a huge change. On the way to the city hospital. It's a mess all the way to the hospital, so that is being cleared first. There were canopies formed by the trees branches on the sides of the road; downed trees and wire; not so much damage to the houses. Looking from the Art Museum (which lost its roof) towards apartments that had been built for the Darton College students look like there had been a lot of trees down and moved. I went to town today, but not that close into ‘downtown’ area or mid-town; just on the outskirts. The old areas called “The Avenues” got hit really had. Lots and lots of old Live Oak Trees and Pecan Trees (shallow roots; but, spread out). Pine trees just snap! We cut some around our house out a few years ago, when we were thinning them.

Happy New Year! Hope we all are successful in our 'programs' this year. I'm hoping to get to my goal weight (anther 15-20lbs) by summer. I see a 'new' bathing suit in sight.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    lklinkman wrote: »
    QUESTION - when to weigh in. daily? weekly? I want to be motivated, and not be de-motivated, by my weigh in results. What do ya'll do? and how does it work for you? if you didn't lose, or you (gulp) gained...are you motivated to try something else? or try harder?

I find that I have to weigh daily. I know that if I don't I will eat more and gain weight very easily. I also know that your weight will fluctuate. Therefore, when I gain a pound here or there I look at what I eat.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    Rainy outside, made me kind of lazy. Did manage to take down Christmas decorations and convinced DH to downsize one box of decorations. That was a big NSV! He wants to move into an RV. I am all for it but have difficulty seeing him doing the necessary downsizing. I bet I'll find lots to want to keep too. Oh, well, one step at a time.

Rita from dreary CT.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So today is day 2 of the BECCA TRANSFORMATION!! heehee....I did that in a wrestler referee voice in my head.....
    I am donating blood today at 3 PM, so I had a fairly substantial lunch today. I am bringing some walnuts and one square of my 70% "endangered chocolate" yep that is the name, for my snack afterwards. No waxy cookies for me!

Feeling my empty feeling, and I have a slight headache, but otherwise pretty good.

((((hugs to all of my ladies))))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rita I think taking down decorations counts as activity--I'm counting wrestling my live tree out the door and how bout all that vacuuming up the needles!! I love purging this time of year, lots of old clothes are getting donating from the closet--DH is a pack rat but when he's not looking I throw things away :p sshhh don't tell him ;)
    Dreary day but I hit my goals today.
    NYKAREN

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    DJ love the picture. Great hair style!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Damnit- LOVE ❤️ your hair color!!!!!

Kayla- yeah it's a challenging Machine- done it twice. 2nd time with socks

Thanks to all for the compliments on our pic. I like that one too, makes me feel wam.

My bike locker got stuck again. Going to get a new locker. Had to ride it to wrk. Told the boss I brought it inside
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Grits- I guess I'm just used to all the exercise that I do. I just try. My brain doesn't feel right if I don't. Sometimes I may not workout as hard on some days and on those days I would consider it a day off
  • Karebear_6
    Karebear_6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I am a newbie! I'm at my all time high in weight and need to get my act together. I will be turning 52 next month and it's only going to get harder, so best get at it now. I have had success before but always seem to put it back on. I am a person who goes all or nothing. So this time around, I'm just trying to make small changes consistently which will add up. I'm going to try to log each day and get some form of exercise in. I have a fit bit, so i'm thinking a goal of 10,000 steps a day could be doable. I'm glad I found this board and plan to turn here for inspiration and accountability.
    Karebear from Ontario