WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    lklinkman wrote: »
    QUESTION - when to weigh in. daily? weekly? I want to be motivated, and not be de-motivated, by my weigh in results. What do ya'll do? and how does it work for you? if you didn't lose, or you (gulp) gained...are you motivated to try something else? or try harder?

I find that I have to weigh daily. I know that if I don't I will eat more and gain weight very easily. I also know that your weight will fluctuate. Therefore, when I gain a pound here or there I look at what I eat.

I too weigh myself daily, but I only record my weight loss weekly. I have to know each day how I'm progressing to help keep myself focused. I'm sure there are pros and cons to this, so you have to do what works for you!

I just joined this thread today, but I'm loving it!

Glenda
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! For those of you that were interested in doing the 40 pounds lost by May 27 challengethis is what we're doing for the month of January.
    1. Take the fitness test at the beginning of the month and at the end of the month.
    2. Check in daily with a workout of your choosing!
    Hi ladies,
    Let's get this month started with a monthly challenge. We're going to do a fitness test, and then end the month with the same fitness test. This will measure your physical fitness progress! It's a great way to provide a baseline for your fitness and see the progress you've made.

You will get one point for each day you check in here with a workout (any workout of your choosing - walk, run, dvd, class, etc.).

Here is the fitness test. Please take this test as soon as possible or before January 8 and POST YOUR RESULTS HERE! I will keep them in the spreadsheet and help track your progress. We will repeat the fitness test between 1/28 - 2/7 to see how far we've progressed. Make any modifications you need for the push-ups (on your knees, against the wall); sit ups (or crunches); jumping jacks (standing on one leg and alternating if needed, instead of a full jump. Just notate if you made any modifications and then do the same modifications at the end of the month.

Good luck everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Is this where I check in???? New to this thread, so I'm not sure I am checking in in the right place.

I was able to complete 71 jumping jacks, 22 sit ups and 22 push ups, no modifications. Although with the pushups I had to rest after 12 and then keep resting in between every 2 or 3 push ups. My workout for the night was resistance training for legs ... squats, lunges and box steps. Hopefully, I'll be able to walk tomorrow!

Glenda
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carol - Is that a new picture of you?? You look fabulous!! Got that no funny business power suit I mean business look about you. You go girl!

Looks like I get the snow bomb this time. Rode down to the gas station and bought more gas for The Snow Beast (snowblower) so I will have no excuse not to 'exercise' tomorrow. One little snowflake, two little snowflakes, many. many little snowflakes and all their cousins are showing up. :o

Charleen in Colorado (Wasn't suppose to snow this morning but it did. Waiting for another 8-16" to show up)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,656 Member
    Options
    Welcome new peeps
  • lizh9
    lizh9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of posts!

My word this year is "JUMP". Not sure if it means I should get on the trampoline thingy I bought last year (which sits in my livingroom and laughs at me since it never gets used) or if I should Jump to a new job or new opportunities.

I'm looking forward to finding out!

Anyone use stepbet? It has motivated me to do a lot more walking.
    take care everyone,
    Liz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katla. I turned down a job for tomorrow and the nest day. I plan to take it easy all week. I am even using a cane in our home. The sidewalks and parking lots are icy too, so all the more reason to stay home.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, what is the therapy your friend gave you for dizziness? So far the only dizziness I am having right now is when I am in a lot of pain. But I don't want the other kind either.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lenora- what color team are you on? You have to go to community, then to your group, that is where you find the 40lbs loss by May 27th. You can bookmark all the threads that are important to you. Your team color, the measurement thread, January challenge, and Tutorial Challenge group (navigation thread) week one weigh in is also posted. PM me if you have any other issues.

Glenda- if you are in the challenge that I posted on this thread then you can post your work out here. I did send you a friend request and you can post your workout on your status and I will see it on my newsfeed. You will also see my workout in both places. There are 4 to 5 other women on here doing the challenge. You are doing fantastic! You had an excellent fitness test.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)lacruiser welcome. I came to MFP at age 62 after a lifetime of struggling with my weight. I thought I was doomed to being chubby or worse forever, but my husband had found an eating plan that was working for him and I decided to give weight loss one more try. I found MFP when looking for a site that had calorie counts for some food and have been an active participant ever since. I started by logging my planned food for the day and staying with the plan no matter what temptation or offer came along no matter how benign or kind. I used the food log to figure out what foods were the big calorie hogs so I could eliminate them in favor of things that allowed more food and nutrition for the same calories. I became open minded to new ideas and tried them out in my life and kept the ones that worked. I've done that one day at a time for several years including traveling and surgery. I found that recreational eating didn't work for me so now I don't entertain myself with food. I meet my friends for a walk rather than a meal and I'm not lured to social events just because the food will be great. I started reading books that were recommended by women on this thread and learned a lot about fitness, healthy eating, and happiness. I hope you will keep coming back and become a part of this community.

:) Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lacruiser- welcome! It will be great for you to join in on the challenge.

DJ- you look fantastic! I love your hair!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,656 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.30min, 12.2amph, 152mhr, 2.9mi= 154c
    apple iwatch- 111c
    ELIPTICAL- 32min, 119mhr, 2-3incl, 2-4resist, 3018str, 94stpmin, 3.06mi = 214c
    apple iwatch- 227c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.47min, 10.9amph, 142mhr, 1.4mi = 100c
    apple iwatch- 56c
    ride station 2 wk- didn't turn on, est .5mi = 40c
    ride wk 2 sta- 3.59min, 8.6;amph, 114mhr, .5mi = 32c
    apple iwatch - 20c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.16min, 8.4amph, 2.5mi = wahoo, WRONG, 112c
    apple iwatch- 149c, lmore like it, usually 175 tho
    total cal 689
  • Jaja99
    Jaja99 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can see it is going to be a challenge to keep up with all these posts! Love the veggie pictures.

Lenora- It is great that you exercise every day! I’m going to work on that. I am not on a special meal plan, but I just try to make healthy choices. Lots of vegetables and fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, limit fats and sugars.

Gloria- Good luck with the pipes and the cold weather!

Allie- I’m new here so I don’t know what you posted before today, but I just wanted to say hang in there. I’m sorry you are going through a difficult time right now. You can do this!

NYKaren- loved your tricks. I might try the gym clothes one.

Pahyland – I’m new in the community too and hope that posting and being active here will be motivational. I’ve seen some great ideas already.

Barbie- love the phrase “I don’t entertain myself with food” Might need to put that on the fridge.

Jana in VA
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Having weird issues with the thread tonight. Only seeing half the page, sometimes the right side and sometimes the left. Turned it off several times and now seems better.
    -Nanpask _i grew up on the MS gulf coast. Sure miss those beautiful sunsets. Come back often and let us get to know you better.
    Mary - will do fitness test tomorrow and post on newsfeed.

SueBDew in TX