WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie - In YOUNGER NEXT YEAR they say that regular vigorous exercise, 6 days a week, for 45-60 mins a day is the best anti inflammatory drug there is. :D I have certainly found it so. I bought a heart monitor to ensure I get my heart rate up at least into the moderate zone for some of my exercise time. (I do in total 100 mins a day 6 days a week, but only some of that gets my heart rate right up). I have found almost all my aches and pains have disappeared. I am also supplementing with D3 drops, but I have no idea if that is helping. I don't eat much sugar, but then, I never have, so that can't be the difference. It is noticeable how much less pain I am in, especially at night. It used to be constant and debilitating.

Yoga today. That is my other day's exercise. It's great and I love the women there, some in their 80s, but it doesn't boost the calories by much. Sometimes I fit in something in the afternoon, or go out shopping. It's obviously good for flexibility, balance etc. I do those exercises every day as well in my regime. Balance and core strength are vital as we age.

Off to wash my hair and defrost the car!

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-14 X7X 30

Fitness Test
    Push-ups-20
    Sit ups-30
    Jumping Jack-57
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! !

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Oh Mary, I am a disabled Grasshopper! LOL
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    cjdsign wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! !

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Oh Mary, I am a disabled Grasshopper! LOL

So Am I! Depending on what the disability is you can modify any type of exercise. Even if it is sitting and using dumbbells. Or as simple as moving when you normally don't. Good luck!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • debbieinva
    debbieinva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Karen....its a rainy cold day here in VA, but I am going to put on my slicker and boots and make the trek to Martins for VEGGIES!!!! Your pics have truly inspired me!!! thanks
    debbieinVA
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey Karen! I love all the pics! A pound of veggies sounds like A LOT. How much do the veggies in your quart size bag weigh? I can't image that's a full pound. If so, I think this is a challenge even I can do! :)

I will do my fitness test and post results when I get home tonight.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr: I am so pleased you gave us an update on MiaKoda. I liked her red hat, too. :smile:

Alison: One step at a time. (((HUGS)))

Gloria: Thank you for the important message about forgiveness. It is essential for our own wellbeing. :flowerforyou:

Michelle, Glenda & RichmondLady: Welcome! :smile:

Peach/Carol: I love your new photo! :heart:

Heather: Thanks for the reminder from Younger Next Year. I just reviewed my weekly exercise habits & I'm doing okay. Yay! :bigsmile:

One of our cars has a dead battery and the battery should still be under warranty. We need to charge it enough to start the car and take it into the battery dealer. I guess that will take up a chunk of our morning today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    I spent a week chipping the ice off our driveway. My knee is killing me as a result and woke up to glare ice completely covering our driveway and sidewalk. To say I am frustrated is putting it mildly.

DH is off to see if he can find any kitty liter and or more salt to put down. I had some but was ill prepared for how bad it is. Main road are fine because they are treated.

:heart: Margaret
  • nanpask
    nanpask Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I can feel your pain! I moved from Wisconsin to The Mississippi gulf coast to get away from the cold & ice & snow
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    grward612 wrote: »
    Hey Karen! I love all the pics! A pound of veggies sounds like A LOT. How much do the veggies in your quart size bag weigh? I can't image that's a full pound. If so, I think this is a challenge even I can do! :)

I will do my fitness test and post results when I get home tonight.

Hey, grward612, Yep, the quart sized bag is one lb of veggies. Totally do-able. :)

debbieinva wrote: »
    Karen....its a rainy cold day here in VA, but I am going to put on my slicker and boots and make the trek to Martins for VEGGIES!!!! Your pics have truly inspired me!!! thanks
    debbieinVA

Debbie, yes it is a cold rainy day here in Virginia!!! Good for you for trekking off to Martin's for fresh vegetables!

Cheri I just finished the salad which I made in your honor because I remember you like chop salad with lots of "stuff" on it. I have to say this was a delicious lunch today for about 200 calories. I am full and really enjoyed crunching. :D:D

Mary Thank you so much for posting the challenge here. I tried to join but was apparently too late. <3

Margaret Ooooh!! I am sorry about your tweaked knee. Having lived in Nebraska and Virginia, I have to admit I like the fact that Virginia is more likely to be rainy than icy.

Carol Love the new avatar pic!

Newbies Welcome! m0717.gifI love this group.

Karen in Virginia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lenora, yes I throw the whole lemon in the blender, rind and all. Once blended you pour it through a strainer to remove the parts that didn't liquefy. My recipe, after straining, fills 3 16-oz Tervis Tumblers exactly. I pop the lids on and store in the fridge. The eating plan I downloaded suggests almond or cashew butter rather than peanut. I've bought an almond butter before that I like okay that doesn't need stirring or refrigeration.

Karen, I downloaded a free anti-inflammatory plan from Paleo Secret. They tried to up-sale me a bunch of services that I resisted. I haven't gone hard-core yet, but I'm working on my shopping list and menu. The biggest thing for me is going to be to give up my Spark, which has sucralose, and my powdered protein shakes.

Heather, I already do 60+ minutes of strength training with weights five days a week and 3 miles of walking 7 days a week. I think I get the exercise. I watched a video that I got from Michelle on strong knees that says the best thing to strengthen knees is to strengthen quads, calves, and glutes. I'm working on that, too. If this sugar thing doesn't work, I'm making an appt with the orthopedist for an evaluation and/or cortisone shots. Losing another 30 or 40 lbs would probably help, too.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Margaret- I heard you got the rain! We got 6 inches of snow! It just doesn't stop. How are you doing on your challenge? Have you learned how to navigate the site. One of the things that I noticed is that sometimes you have to go it all the way to the bottom of the thread and click on view all discussions. Because, sometimes the Challenge or weigh in thread gets moved all the way down there. If you ever need any help let me know!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options

Cheri I just finished the salad which I made in your honor because I remember you like chop salad with lots of "stuff" on it. I have to say this was a delicious lunch today for about 200 calories. I am full and really enjoyed crunching. :D:D
    Karen in Virginia

I do LOVE a great chopped salad! So glad you remembered and enjoyed yours. I actually have a salad made up and in the fridge waiting for dinner tonight with some leftover salmon! I must go shopping and up the fresh veggies in the fridge! I had 4oz of baby carrots for my morning snack! And without dipping them in something. Crunchy, chewy, carrot sweetness!

Cheri
    in beautiful College Station, TX

P.S. Trying to make plans to visit Ros and YOU in March!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Allie - I know this must be a very difficult path. Little steps not giant leaps right now. You are being very proactive in the midst of the difficult challenge of still having to deal with Tom.

Yvonne - I tried a jar of nut butter. Loved it!.....Too much!. Just give me the jar and a spoon. Pecans are my favorite so I know it would be a red light food for me. Glad you are able to enjoy your pecans sensibly. Yum.

Margaret, Mary, and more - I'm sorry old man winter is being so grumpy up there. We are having highs in the 60s today. UGG! I just like the seasons to keep their true identities.

Hello to all the new ladies. Please stick around and tell us about your life.

Toni in Tennessee
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Janet I love the new(?) profile pic, fantastic power pose!

Rainy icky day here, but I am headed to the gym and then off to figure out what to make from leftovers....I've got brussell sprouts and broccolli, we'll just have to see what i can do with that.

i am enjoying all the positive energy the start of the new year is bringing to us.

NYKAREN