WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Margaret- Yeah! I'm glad you were able to get in! I have been having trouble with the MFP site not working very well for me.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Heather- I saw that on FB as well. The only thing about it that bothered me is that we are also supposed to be around to raise the standards or help people that are not "up to our standards" I just thought that statement would encourage people to cut out people they considered negative or not giving them what they need. I believe that we are surrounded by people that we are here to help and encourage and work with as well as others to help us. I believe that my DH' S DD was influenced by reading or counseled by someone with that thought process. That is why she thought nothing of cutting her dad out of her life.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Heather love it. I am sitting with my leg up and enjoying chatting today as I rest my knee
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    heather and mary - I see your point on both readings of the FB post, but like that it makes you think of those in your circle, some may be so far down/uninterested in growth that they should be pruned away, while others should lift you while you lift others!

Heather/Margaret - Spy cameras!!!!!!!!! Brillant! Then I could see what is really happening instead of trying to piece together what I am told, and of course all have their bias so never sure who is closer to reality! I'll be researching.

Kim in N.Cal
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Lenora - I did the calculations for the pecan butter, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it would be. No worse than peanut butter, and its flavor is intense so a little goes a long way. I put maybe a teaspoon on a slice of cranberry-orange bread last night, and it was SO good! The recipe is here: http://cookieandkate.com/2012/pecan-butter-recipe/
    -Yvonne in TX

I may have to try this as we have a Texas Pecan Farm just down the road. We can get fresh pecans there.
    It's the Royalty Pecan Farm at royaltypecans.com and if you sign up for the newsletter you can get a $15 voucher.

Cheri
  • csofled
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Spent yesterday walking the zoo with my daughter and a couple of grandkids. It was a fun day. Quite warm, almost 80 degrees. Makes the 40 degrees I woke up to quite cold! I took along my camera for fun. This giraffe had attitude....kj3r4rsi6vre.jpeg

Marcelyn in the city which can't decide if it's supposed to be warm or cold.
    Houston

Ha, ha Marcelyn I would have to totally agree with you on the that statement! This being our first "winter" here in College Station we had no idea what the weather would be like. Just glad we didn't get rid of ALL our outer coats when we moved from up north in August.

Cheri
    in chilly and getting chillier East Central Texas
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    Options
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »
    I am updating my step goal. I am counting steps to miles with my Fitbit. I aim for 4.5 miles and my real goal is 5 miles a day, which is approx. 10600, steps for me.

Welcome Belle! Would you like to be Fitbit friends? Send me a friend request. I will message you that info! My current step goal is 12,500 steps/day. I've been very consistent with this for a while now so should be thinking of increasing that number.

Cheri
    stepping in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Kim)))

I ate endame and 1/2 navel orange for lunch. The endame was frozen in pods by Pict Sweet and I didn't realize you don't eat the outside. At least I guess you don't. Never had them before.

Carol in GA
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok, girls, here goes (and that scritching sound you hear is my teeth biting the bullet):

Bicep
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Toni in TN: I agree with JanetR. I love your focus resolutions. Great idea and good choices, too. :heart:

Katla in C-C-C-COLD NW Oregon

Yep it IS cold ain't it!!! It is 33 here today but really 17!!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    KetoneKaren - Before we moved I belonged to a gym and their cafe had an amazing green smoothie. When I had to drop my membership I went searching for a recipe and found several nice ones online. I'm good with some raw veggies but the smoothie was a great way to get in some greens, whose leaves aren't that much fun for snacking on...

I'm looking at my pound of veggies for the day - it's not as much as it sounds like. I've got raw carrots, zucchini, snap peas, cucumber, grape tomatoes, and bell pepper, along with a few roasted brussels sprouts left over from Christmas dinner. They're sitting right here next to my desk so I can snack throughout the day. But it's going to be a pain to log them... we need a "pound of veggies" database item!

-Yvonne in TX

Yvonne Yeah, if you are a real stickler for logging accuracy, it is a pain. I found one in the database that I thought was pretty accurate for what I am likely to choose; think it's about 200 calories for the pound of vegetables. it can be found under "Generic - Raw Mixed Vegetables 2 Cups" in your database look-up. I log 2 servings (total of a quart) and it's close enough...

Toni TN LOL!!! about raw veggies being medicinal... that made me chuckle. I suspect Lisa would agree.

Mary You don't look like you've got 40 lbs to lose, girl! Did you gain weight when you got injured? Or is that just the name of the challenge? I might have missed something... <3

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Nancy nice to feel the warmth from Louisiana. Our high is 5 degrees today. It is sunny and that really helps.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carey-N Alberta: You have definitely got colder temperatures than we do. It is 17 Fahrenheit here right now. BRRRR! :star:

Lenore & Becca: I buy Endangered Species Dark chocolate in individually wrapped squares that are 50 calories each. I started buying them at a local Fred Meyer store but they quit carrying the individually wrapped pieces so I buy it from Amazon now. Individually wrapped pieces keep me from eating too much. I can eat just one. :bigsmile:

Sharon from Lethbridge, Alberta: Welcome back!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Klanders & Kim: The last time we baked apple pie we made two versions. One was using a regular pie plate with crust on the bottom and top with filling in the middle. The other way was to put filling in custard cups and top with crust. The pie and custard cup mini pies all went into the freezer. I like the custard cup minis best because I can eat just one and not go on to eat several helpings. With the whole pie, once we defrosted it, DH & I were both eating pie frequently and big portions at that because we didn't want to "waste any." Not so good. :noway:

I have yoga this morning and DH has a doctor appointment this afternoon. He's been having blood pressure problems and he is planning to do some work calibrating his home blood pressure device.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia wrote: Can't believe how easy it was to get half a lb of fresh vegetables on board! The other half will be later today after my workout. Maybe it's psychological, but I feel better & more balanced and less tempted since starting this veggie commitment. Thank again to Penny, my role model in this endeavour.
    I felt exactly the same thing after I started and had slowly worked my way up to a full 500 g veggies per day. To those of you who are considering cutting up a week's worth, I'd advise you to make an exception for cucumber and bell peppers. They go bad first and get slimiest. :anguished: Better to cut those fresh every day.

Kelly - I chuckled at the idea of your veggie bags being "safe" from your husband. I take a different approach, though: I encourage both my husband and my grandchildren to "steal" veggies out of my box. Most days I'm fairly certain of getting to eat ALL my veggies, so I feel I can afford to get shortchanged a bit once in a while. It's for a good cause :lol:

Marnie - I loved the ice fog pictures! Fog is a favorite of mine, right along with the polar night. (I admit I'm a bit weird that way.) But both have the side-effect of taking the sharp edges off things and cloaking them in mystery.

Heather - My son and his family are visiting us at our island place outside Tromsø this week, and that includes my vegetarian daughter-in-law. I've planned the spinach-feta quiche from Skinnytaste.com for dinner tomorrow. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :flowerforyou: Actually, last summer I was forced to use fresh spinach rather than frozen and I found it even more delicious that way. More work, granted, but worth it!

There have been a few questions about when and how others on this thread weigh themselves. My strategy is to weigh myself every day and log it in an Excel spreadsheet that I've programmed to plot daily weights and weekly averages. I ignore the daily weights and focus entirely on the weekly averages. I see only two uses for the plot of the daily weights. The first is that I get immediate feedback if I totally pig out one evening and the second it that I get clear evidence that one day of pigging out is no reason to throw in the towel. All I need to do is get back on board right away.

I see on my news feed that almost all my friends in the 48 contiguous states are in for a severe cold spell. (Not to mention Marnie and Lillian farther north.) I feel for you! Even though I live where I do, I rarely see temperatures like what some of you are expecting. Stay warm, and stay safe!

/Penny, not quite at the North Pole yet, but considerably closer than last week
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Carol ... this is from Reference.com ...

According to the National Soybean Research Laboratory, edamame shells are too tough to be eaten or digested easily. Instead, diners should remove edamame seeds from their shells before eating. Diners can use their teeth to scrape out the seeds or split the pods to use the seeds in salads or as a side; diners should then discard the shells or add them to compost.

Edamame are often kept in their shells to help maintain freshness. Cooks should never serve edamame raw, as the seeds are difficult to remove from their shells; cooks should boil the whole pods for about 5 minutes or steam them in the microwave.

I learned this the hard way, by the way ...

Beth :*