January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@elise4270 and @stoshew71 if you two keep bickering we will have to separate you :sunglasses:

I did start it.... But everyone here is a nerd....

I'm just restless... And wannabe a nerd again..... Nearly Everyone Runs Daily.... :smiley:

that settles it. You are definitely a NERD! LOL
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)

My Total/January: 12.1 miles
    Mike's Total: 12.2 miles

It was a chilly 45F this morning and we got off to a late start but managed to put in 4 miles with Mike and Fergus before starting the work day.

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been reading along, so I guess I'll join!
    January goal: 80 miles
    Upcoming race: 1/2 marathon 4/17
    1/1 rest (ran 8.0 on 12/31)
    1/2 3.0
    1/3 new weights routine. Ouch
    1/4 2.5.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I guess I should say he's just over-protective. He's supportive when I'm running in the daylight and temps are above freezing. But right now daylight is limited and temps have plunged. I just have to pick my battles :-D And I'm proud of him trying to eat healthier but he needs a lot of help. If I don't help, he goes back to convenience (the donut shop for breakfast and lunch out) very easily so I'm trying to be supportive of that right now while he's detoxing. Ha!

@tltmom Welcome :)

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To enter the glycogen discussion, lately I came into the issue of time on my feet as I tried to increase my mileage to 80 kpw/50 mpw. I have gotten to the point where I ran 6 days a week with a 10 k each day that took me around 60 minutes and a longer run that took me about 90 to 120 minutes. I found it hard to increase my mileage by adding miles to my current runs as running runs after runs in the 70-80 minutes area made it just to hard on my body. After some research and strava stalking on some people running close to 100 mpw I noticed why. These people don't usually run more than 1 hour continuously at a time. But they double a lot and are much faster. I mean it takes them 2 hours to do an 18 miler, and that's easy pace. So I did some reaserch, read some articles, especially the part where the running benefits level seriously after 60 minutes. So now I added a 7th run on my day off and a double and I'm also gonna do my long run by time rather by distance.

About running long runs while depleted I remember there was research that supported this approach, but not all the time. The idea was that it's ok to do it in the first stages of training and to stop doing it when you get closer to the key race and you start adding time at marathon pace because being able to perform better during the run was more important

Easy today and strides

Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km

exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone new and old, Well done on some excellent mileage in 2016!

I thought I was never going to get this month started! I'm going to aim for 50 miles again

04/01 3 miles

url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w2z6Y99/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    k80flec wrote: »
    Recently someone shared a post on 'dynamic warm-up' which I intended to go back to view. I can't find it, Aaaaarrrrggh. Could you re-post it, whoever you are. I seem to think it was @skippysmom.
    Thank you in advance :)

@k80flec You were right it was @skippygirlsmom from pg6 and then the links on pg 8 from @Stoshew71
    Sounds like you are doing what is called static stretches before you run, they are no good, it's not good to stretch muscles that aren't warm. My daughter (and her professional running coach) who runs cross country and track swears by these dynamic stretches. I thought I had a better video link somewhere but I can't find it. This covers it though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/a-dynamic-stretching-routine

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good advice from the folks here. Between us we have all been there done that. :smile:

Long quote ..... Thank you very much.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Still suffering with my cold but slightly better so decided to brave the gym. Definitely wasn't up to a long run which is what I would have liked to have done today, and didn't fancy the cold weather so hopped on the treadmill for 5k. Slowly increased the pace over the first half of the run until I got to around 10k pace then switched to intervals (1min fast/1min easy) for the rest of the run - each of the fast intervals a little faster than the previous ones. Sweating buckets by the end, but felt ok otherwise and then did upper body workout.

exercise.png
    3-Jan: 11.49k [6.7k MP + 4.8k easy -suffering with cold]
    4-Jan: 5.3k - treadmill intervals [TM]
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @greenolivetree well you have to appreciate the fact he's concerned about you. Buy some mace, I carry it when I run every single the dog attacked us. Of course that won't keep you warm. Poor man, the detox is the worse! I haven't had McDonald's since last week and I might literally die. :wink:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy

January total to date – 26.10

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – The forecast today was for a transitional day, with temperatures falling, wind increasing, and early rain changing to snow showers. I went out to run before the weather got worse. 37º F (3º C) was fine with the wind and not too bad cross wind, but into the wind it felt stronger than the stated 12 mph. Most of the into the wind stuff was the first two miles, so this was a nice, unremarkable easy run on a familiar route with two small hills.

Averaged 7:54 per mile, and the splits look reasonable except mile 4 that crept down to 7:30. OTOH, Garmin shows my HR in Zone 1 for 17:11, in Zone 2 for 19:42, and in Zone 3 for 1:37. By the chart, the time in Zone 3 looks like going up those two small hills, which came in mile 2. I'm okay with that. It feels like I've got my conditioning back for running distance, and I'm happy with that.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• greenolivetree
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom LOL He's a big McD's fan too. I did have Chickfila after taking our son for early morning fasted blood work yesterday. MMMM...... But overall we've completely overhauled. I drastically cut cals and carbs and felt like I had the flu the first day! It was awful. He's trying to make sense of how to combine a Crohn's diet with a diabetic diet and this ridiculous kidney stone diet they gave him! We hope to follow up with a nutritionist. His insurance case worker was like, "Um, so there's basically like 5 foods you can eat?" LOL Poor guy.

Oh, and I did order a pepper spray awhile back. Have yet to open the package :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    On the glucose / glycogen / fat discussion: I'm a type 1 diabetic and fat adapted. As a type 1, I manually manage glucose. Prior to eating low carb (and becoming fat adapted), I would get low BG while exercising quite often. Sometimes, that would happen even if I started out with high BG. However, with high BG, I don't feel well (and it isn't good long-term, medically, to be high for long). It's harder to exercise or perform at my best when I don't feel well.

Sometimes, when at high intensity, exercise actually increases BG... same issue - don't feel well. This is known to happen at high intensities above lactose threshold.

After becoming fat adapted, I've noticed that I do not go low as much because I'm burning fat for energy more easily rather than relying upon glucose. As I am trying to train for endurance, I came across a study a few months ago (was published around 2009, IIRC) showing that fat adapted athletes can oxidize fat at a much greater rate than non-fat adapted athletes. This makes sense. So I no longer need to constantly stop and feed glucose tablets (equivalent to non-diabetics and their Gu's). I still need electrolytes - more even than those who eat heavy carb - but not carbs. So far, I've been able to manage electrolytes before / after exercising. At some point, as I get into longer distances and/or higher temperatures at medium distances, I'll need to start adding electrolytes on the go. My new pack is large enough as well that I can fit a filtration device in the bag. So in addition to 3L of water, if I'm running longer distances on a trail, I can stop at a river/creek/pond to filter water out and refuel as needed. For longer runs, that is a good time to drop in some electrolyte tablets as well.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree that is a tough combination of things he has going on. My mom suffered terribly from Crohn's.
    Get the spray out of the package ha ha
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    But..but..its so COOOOOOLLLLDD
    63595722416678544750946545_cold%20anna.gif

I know..I know..'what better way to warmup ..AMIRITE!? :smiley:
    In it for 50
    exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - that's crazy about the gas and then the wreck on the highway. What a week!
    @greenolivetree - I also run with Mace. And a personal alarm -- if you pull the little pin it makes a really loud noise. Not sure who would hear it because it's so early, but I like it too because it would scare the bear in my neighborhood away. I run in the dark in my neighborhood (4:30-5:30am). After more than 2 years of this, I know every car, house, person that leaves/arrives, etc. My husband doesn't like it much, but he'd rather have me happy that in a bad mood, so he just goes along with it. Everyone says you shouldn't run the same route/time, but I don't really have a choice. What am I going to drive to another neighborhood that I don't know at 4:15am?

By the way, I got my Tracer 360 !!! I LOVE it. So fun to run in the dark with that on. I keep it on the changing color mode and I feel like I'm my own personal running disco. I've only run 4 times with it so far ... we'll see if the battery really lasts for 40 hours. https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the first race of the year! A nocturnal snow trail race. Doesn't that sound awesome? Or maybe crazy is the word I'm looking for :p
    They offered two categories. I took the short&easy one (10k with only 100m elevation), but since I'll still be required to bring my own pack with water/food/survival blankes/whistle/lights/rain gear/warm clothes, I'm still going to count it a a real trail race!

So.... Upcoming races:
    21.01.2017 Trail blanc Jurassien 10k

i6ofp1.png

---

@patrikc333 Congrats on the first clipped-in ride!
    Out of curiosity: where do you live that you need a certificate for running events? I was so annoyed when I found out that I need a medical certificate to run races in France; I never heard of such a thing before moving here. At least it was rather easy to get; but it's only valid for a year, so I'll need a new one soon *sigh*

@Joanna2012B Ouch! That sounds painful. I hope your knee will heal fast!

@instantmartian Congratulations on the engagement! The car story sucks. I hope you get it figured out without too much trouble.

@MNLittleFinn Kudos on running in that temperatures! -26C sounds really motivating to get home as fast as possible :smile:

@lporter229 I don't like running with headlamps, at all - hat or no hat doesn't make a difference. I just ordered myself a light with a chest strap for running.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @ddmom0811 Yes, I will get out the spray and see if that eases my hubby's mind (when we get back and I'm for sure ready to get back into a routine. When I started the holiday RW streak, he actually seemed to get more laid back every day!

And @ddmom0811 I bookmarked that link because that is awesome! I got an LED belt (illumiseen? something like that) and I wouldn't have any complaints except that it's a belt and I also wear my phone in my flipbelt so they want to compete for space. LOL The belt is actually too large for me to wear higher up, so I put it around my hips but then it wants to ride up and jump over my phone and flop around. I was fighting it a lot when I was running in the dark regularly a couple months ago. It's great without the phone in the way. Boo.

@_nikkiwolf_ Awesome race!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, I looked at the forecast for the weekend....Saturday is supposed to be a high of -3F and Sunday is supposed to be a high of 6F....I'll have to wait until friday for hourly temp projections, but I'm thinking about switching my long run to Sunday so I'm not running in the dark with those temps....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So, I looked at the forecast for the weekend....Saturday is supposed to be a high of -3F and Sunday is supposed to be a high of 6F....I'll have to wait until friday for hourly temp projections, but I'm thinking about switching my long run to Sunday so I'm not running in the dark with those temps....

@MNLittleFinn what's the wind look like? For me, that's the most important consideration when it gets this cold.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Seems this time just brings out the sickness in me. The first 3 days of 2017 I was unable to work out due to strep throat but I'm back!

1/4 - 3.1 miles

My January goal is 40 miles.