January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @lporter229 A run/walk with an exited dog on icy streets sounds scary. Glad you didn't fall!

@patrikc333 130 euros for a medical certificate sounds crazy! In France, I payed 23 Euro the first time (where the doctor just asked me if I "felt healthy"), and 27 Euro the second time (another doctor, who asked a few questions and at least measured my blood pressure). I guess they require real medical tests then in Italy, if the certificate costs that much. What a shame - I can't imagine many hobby runners would spend that much money to run the occasional race.

@dkabambe Nice rest day at the gym! I bet you finally felt warm after that :p

@bmelb1 So sorry to hear about the 10k clinic disappointment. I can't believe they would end up letting you run alone - shouldn't there be some trainer around who takes care that everyone benefits from the session? In any case, I wish you luck for the 5k programme, I'm sure it will be much better! Even if you can already run the distance, you might make some nice new running friends that way.

@snowyne I've never had the pain you've describing. But there's a long article on runners world with detailed description of lower leg pains and injuries, maybe that can help you figure it out?

@skippygirlsmom Great pictures! I can't believe skip already lost the new running vest. Does she remember where she took it off? Maybe it's still where she left it...
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why, the more icy it is, the more. I sweat now.

If I were out trying to ride a bike on icy roads, I think I'd sweat quite a bit too. The sweat isn't always about pure physical exertion.

I was talking about running
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ yes its a proper physical test with an ecg and more serious tests (they might even measure the vo2 max, need to check)

But still doesn't justify the cost or the fact I could simply sign a piece of paper and take my responsibility
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ she can't remember, she wore it to practice we remember that much, she can't recall if she took it off in the gym after running or not. To be honest, I hate to be rude, but we have kids on our team that would steal from each other in a heartbeat so I'm not sure we'll see it again. Money has gone missing, phones, warm ups etc, it's awful. Well I better not see it on anyone that's for sure. She is going to check lost and found on Monday at school and go to each Coach's office around the gym to see if it's there. I'm really angry because she can be so careless but I can't say anything that would make her feel any worse than she already does, she's really beating herself up. I really hesitated in buying the vest because of the cost, but she loved it so I did.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Really struggled through 3.1 miles (the .1 to make up for quitting at 2.9 yesterday :p ). Was already having an asthma attack, used inhaler, and just pushed through it. I knew I felt off yesterday. A lot of times I feel it the day before I actually have an attack.

Anyway, I let it warm up to 27 with 20 windchill. I was actually grateful for the wind. I was hot ;) Just single layer leggings and short sleeve with jacket.

I need to find my log and update I guess.

Jan 1 - Nap
    Jan 2 - Nap/4 mile run/.8 walk/ 20 min strength
    Jan 3 - nothing really
    Jan 4 - uh....
    Jan 5 - 30 min walk
    Jan 6 - 2.9 mile freezing cold run, 10 min hip workout
    Jan 7 - 3.1 mile run

Goal: Run 50 miles I guess? 10 done.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

You are so cute evil ice princess ;)

It's true, @kristinegift. ;-)

@MNLittleFinn: hang in there. Time heals all wounds. You might feel much better after a week off.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain
    1/5 Unplanned rest day
    1/6 2.2 mile walk, 30 minutes elliptical, Strength: upper body and core
    1/7 8.2 miles

Goal: 38 of 170

Decided to try running again. A 10 mile run was on the schedule, but considered stopping at 5 depending on how I felt. Planned to stop early if I experienced pain again. I did have a few twinges, but only if I over strided or got going a little too fast. I took it really slow. Since I felt good at 5 miles, I decided to go longer. I went 8, which I felt was good enough to get a longer run in without pushing it too much.

It was a cold run too: a windchill of 8 when I started, but warmed up to 22 by the end. The sun was out, and the wind was mild. It was a great run.

@kristinegift Love the pics you posted!! Hearing about the snow stinging your eyes reminded me of a vacation we took to Rocky Mt National Park once in the winter. Omg, does the wind blow there in the winter!! We had to wear ski goggles when snowshoeing and sledding because of the snow blowing in our faces. It was painful...just like you described.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @osubuckeye906 - so sorry about the news. I don't know what to say on what to do. I'm the worst on that kind of thing. Hope it's very speedy recovery.

@MNLittleFinn - so sorry about your news as well. You will be better by marathon!

@skippygirlsmom - LOVE the pics!
    @kristinegift - LOVE your pics too!

Ran 4 miles this morning -- it was a nice day but I have a little bit of a cold so I wasn't that great. When I got home I felt so tired, took a nap! My daughter and I are going to try to run in the morning before her flight. All biking is cancelled this weekend due to rain and then cold/wind.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    8 km run in Winter Conditions for me. 3" Fresh Snow and -19C / 14 km/h Nth Wind = -27C Windchill.
    We must be crazy runners as it was one of the biggest groups of the 2016/2017 season ( they did 10-12 km ).
    12 brave souls - frozen eyelash's and a first for our group - Ear and Eyebrow icicles. But it was still Fun. The expression on the faces of the drivers in their vehicles - varied from horror that we were outside running to worry that we would Freeze our lungs. As a Northern Winter runner - its just not possible if you are Healthy and Dressed properly.

01/04 8.0 km –8.0km –125.0 km – YTD 1351 km
    01/06 7.0 km –15.0km –132.0 km
    01/07 8.0 km –23.0km –124.0 km – YTD 1366 km

exercise.png

@kristinegift Great photos and I understand the Snow in the face. Most of our snow is the light powder so its not an issue. But I love the Look of those trails. For me all the Tree falls are covered in snow so trails are dangerous due to the extra hidden Ankle Breaker Hazards = No Trails in Winter- unless packed down by a skidoo.
    @MNLittleFinn You caught it early and are taking steps to minimize further injury. You should be good with PT and Rest. I know the time out of the Shoes is Hard but worth it in the end.
    @jennkain97 Glad you have Shoes again.
    @_nikkiwolf_ Most of my Hill Training is done on the River to Ridge Trails. 3-5km and 300 to 500m elevation. 3km with 500m is a serious Hill Run, the 3-300 or 5-500 is/seems easy after you have knocked it off a few times. Usually on the first few Hill Climbs of a training cycle its a simple up and down. Once we get the early spring weather we start to link hills and add some rolling terrain in as linking trails between the climbs to increase the training effect without adding huge distance.
    @JessicaMcB We need to get @kristinegift to come Nth for the GC Trails- I think she would have fun as she has such a good attitude about the Challenges >:) of trails. We have a group that might be heading down this spring/summer to Freedom Run Legs 2 & 3 plus a 2nd freedom run in Tumbler Ridge for the Emperor's Challenge HM course. Just Learned that we have 4 more confirmed for our Jasper HM Running team, a Hus/Wife from Quebec are flying out to visit Family and Join us.

According to the Local News Reports it sounds like the South Eastern States are getting Hammered with Un-Seasonal Winter Weather - Snow 3" to 24" and high windchill. Everyone Hunker Down and be safe. There are times when it's better to stay inside and enjoy the warmth of a good Beverage. As a Northerner who grew up in these conditions we take for granted all the infrastructure we have for dealing with snow & cold.

jyfuy9rbsi8a.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ -The training plan I use calls for hill repeats of anywhere from 10X30 seconds to 6X90 seconds. Since the plan says zone 5, I just run them all out, like a sprint. There is a hill by my house that is 5% grade and one by my work that varies from 6-8%. My pace ends up being anywhere from 6:30-7:30 minutes per mile. For reference, my half marathon PR pace is 7:37. These workouts usually kick my *kitten*. I have the feeling that they are not really intended to be run all out, but I figure if I want to be sure and be in zone 5, that's my best bet!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 Thanks. I'm a little disappointed I didn't catch it earlier in the week, but with my reduced miles this week I don't think I did too much damage. I'm hoping beyond hope that I can have this healed up within 1-2 weeks so I'll have at least a week of easier running before getting into training at the end of the month.

The marathon I'm registered for has a 7 hour time limit so, worst case, I'm going to do it, even if I end up walking most of it. I have just over 5 months until race day, so here's hoping I won't need to take up that option.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Run4theluvofit
    Run4theluvofit Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1/1 Rest
    1/2 1.5 miles
    1/3 2.7 miles
    1/4 Rest
    1/5 2.6 miles
    1/6 Rest
    1/7 5 miles

11.9 / 45 miles
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Good luck with your recovery.

--

I had the joy of being ill this week, so no running from me; it felt good to finally get a short run in this afternoon.

01 - 5.21 miles
    02 - 5.60
    07 - 5.56

Total: 16.37 / 75
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
    01/05/17 - 6 miles
    01/07/17 - 10 miles

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options

1 Jan: rest
    2 Jan: rest
    3 Jan: rest
    4 Jan: 5 km
    5 Jan: rest
    6 Jan: 5 km
    7 Jan: 8.1 km

Total: 18 km / 100 km

8 km this morning. Overcast and windy, but still 22C, so very comfortable. It's funny, but 8km doesn't feel any different to 5km, I'm just out there longer. I had blisters on the outside of both of my pinky toes and my big toe from dancing in heels on Friday night (out with hubby for our anniversary), but they didn't worry me too much on the run. It is good to be running again. I feel like my life is more ordered and organised when I run regularly. Probably because I have to sleep right and I eat better.

@MNLittleFinn - good luck with the PT. Hopefully you have caught this early enough so there won't be much impact on your marathon training.

@skippygirlsmom - I would be so cranky about the vest. I had/have a couple of kids who tend to lose things, too. I remember being forever at lost property at school. Once I even found Nick's retainer there, when I was looking for something else. I didn't even know it was missing. (Pretty sure it was his, anyway
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @michable ha ha on the retainer! One time my uncle was at the beach and he was talking and a wave knocked his denture out. He found it at the lost and found! Hopefully it will show up.

@kristinegift love the pictures
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 – rest day
    1/7 – 16.59 warmup + Winter Warrior Half Marathon

January total to date – 48.68

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – It was 21º F with 10 mph W wind for my warmup at 3 PM. It was 19º F with 11 mph W wind at 4 PM gun time. It got a little colder, and the wind picked up a bit as I was running. My time of 1:32:40 was good for 20th overall and 1st M 60-64. The heated tent was more of an aspiration than a reality, so I didn't stick around to find out how many finished, how many were in my age group, or what I won for coming in first in my age group. I'll check on all that tomorrow, and maybe write a longer description. Perhaps I'll be able to snag some pictures from FB to post; I tried to hold up 2, 3, or 4 fingers for the camera so I'd know which lap I was on when I saw the picture.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @mobycarp fantastic HM, congrats on another 1st place AG finish and the 20th OA. Longer forward to a longer race report, I always enjoy reading them.