Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    14 pages of going around in circles and no one has brought up the best way to eat a pop tart?

ym936ed5pz7z.jpg

YUMMMM! <3

That should read, "Poptarts Ice Cream Sandwich, though. Which would instantly make it very, very bad. ;)

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

Frosted Brown Sugar and Cinnamon.

Frosted Strawberry is a close 2nd.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I suppose if one was out on a long trail, or at Everest Base Camp, and burning 4000 + calories per day, Pop Tarts would be an OK part of a 'balanced diet'...

Thoughts?
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

Unfrosted blueberry, toasted with butter. It is awesome!!! The poptarts ice cream sandwich looks pretty tasty too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Aerocrazd wrote: »

Unfrosted blueberry, toasted with butter. It is awesome!!! The poptarts ice cream sandwich looks pretty tasty too.

Oh no. Only the ones with frosting for me!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

There are a lot of new flavors, but when I was a kid, my favorites were anything with frosting and crunchy stuff on it.

Correct. The flavor doesn't really matter.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

It's the F of KFC.

Shhhh... Don't tell but they sell it grilled too.

;)

And for the record, hummus isn't exactly low cal or low fat, either. It's just trendy and pretentious.

Like quinoa and chia seeds. :)

Which are now apparently passe, too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/88093154/forget-kale-and-chia-seeds-these-are-the-new-superfoods-for-2017

<Sigh> Who can keep up? B)

Hummus is a very popular food in the middle east and has been for quite some time. I would be really fascinated to understand what is pretentious about it.

I do agree that it is not low calorie or low fat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Where does she state that she regularly sends her child to school with a whole packet?
    This thread is like a game of Chinese Whispers.

Typically for a teacher to contact the parent it is a recurring issue. Even if it's only once in awhile, only a moron would claim healthy food is some sort of a myth. I get there is woo stuff and BroScience, but you can disbelieve that acai' berries are magical and still see that Pop Tarts are garbage food.

Some people have jumped to a lot of conclusions about the OP and didn't bother to do any investigating.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

The Sea Bass flavored ones.

.... ask for them by name.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Prepare for disappointment in a packet.

Yeah. They really aren't that great. Some people swear by then but I've only ever sort of liked the frosted brown sugar ones.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Prepare for disappointment in a packet.

My feeling exactly! A couple of times I have been lured by some yummy-sounding new flavor only to be gravely disappointed! The dry, flavorless edges where they skimp on the frosting are the worst.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I would have at least liked the opportunity to provide my child's own snack each day. When my son was in kindergarten (we home school now), a different parent was assigned to provide the snack for the whole class each day (with the "healthy" stipulation). You never knew what they were going to get and if it was something they would eat. (I guarantee my son never touched a celery stick.)

Also, I was wondering- is this a relatively new thing? When I was in elementary school in the 70s, I sure don't remember daily snacks, even in kindergarten.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I suppose if one was out on a long trail, or at Everest Base Camp, and burning 4000 + calories per day, Pop Tarts would be an OK part of a 'balanced diet'...

Thoughts?

Two of my kids eat them a few times a week (they usually split the package) and they're healthy and thin, just doing every day kid stuff :) They eat a varied diet full of all sorts of foods.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thoughts?

Sure. More "junk foods" as a percent of total caloeies work as someone burns quite a bit more calories through hard core exercise.

For someone on 2000 calories a day a single 200 calorie pop tart would take up most of the suggested allotment of "junkfood".

Most of these people have enough respect for their bodies not to be fueling with pop tarts or similar items on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.