Fun fact...

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!

I lost weight eating spaghetti. We eat it one to two times a week. I just eat a more reasonable portion.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Only thing I think you SHOULD buy is a food scale.

But I'm on my second watch, have a chest strap, weights, treadmill, 2 pairs of new shoes, bluetooth headphones, and MFP and they have all been part of helping me to lose weight.

I work out at home so the clothing (aside from good shoes) is optional.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!

I lost weight eating spaghetti. We eat it one to two times a week. I just eat a more reasonable portion.

I used that in more of a form of like.. cheap food.. breads, pasta(mac and cheese) more less to say you need to spend more money on healthy food then you do on stuff like that:) i eat spagetti aswell just not everyday:p i just used tnat as an example because a pack of pasta is like 5 bucks and sauce is like a dollar lol.. i think some of you took me a little to literally lol..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Lots of people, including myself, lost weight eating spaghetti. My grocery bill actually went down when I lost weight. I was still eating the foods I ate before, I was just eating less of them.

This is actually cheaper.
  • ElevatedBeast
    ElevatedBeast Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Many people lose weight eating whatever they want, calories in vs calories out.

Also, chicken, tuna, eggs, rice, water. All pretty cheap and healthy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Lots of people, including myself, lost weight eating spaghetti. My grocery bill actually went down when I lost weight. I was still eating the foods I ate before, I was just eating less of them.

This is actually cheaper.

My overall food bill went down from eating out less for lunch, but what I spend at the grocery store went up. Not a lot though and nowhere near as much as my lunch bill went down.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I used that in more of a form of like.. cheap food.. breads, pasta(mac and cheese) more less to say you need to spend more money on healthy food then you do on stuff like that:) i eat spagetti aswell just not everyday:p

You can eat healthy on a budget. Dried beans, eggs, pasta, rice, cheap cuts of meat/fish, frozen or canned vegetables,..
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Yall took me WAY to literally lol... i meant it as more of a figure of speech... mac and cheese maybe a dollar a box.. can of tuna 3.00 or chicken 30 a box
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You can't have my Fitbit or my food scale. Without those, I would still be rocking 300+ pounds, likely more since I would be sure "I'm eating so little".
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Hahaa im not saying you cant im just saying a thing of pasta or a bag chips or even pizza is prob cheaper then makinh stirfry... ohh nvm lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Yall took me WAY to literally lol... i meant it as more of a figure of speech... mac and cheese maybe a dollar a box.. can of tuna 3.00 or chicken 30 a box

Dried beans are cheaper than a box of mac and cheese and yields much more food. A carton of eggs is usually about $2 and yields more food than a box of mac and cheese. A box of mac and cheese can be part of a healthy diet.

I think it's important to dispel the myth that you must spend more to eat healthy.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I also live in canada where most of those "cheap" things you said are way more inflated lol.. i wish i could get eggs for 2 dollars.. more like 5... gotta love economy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

If the subject is weight loss and not fitness, none of that is required. Weight loss can be done without spending extra money. That is the only true part of the OP.

But just because something isn't required doesn't mean it's bad. It's like suggesting that anyone that owns more than one pair of pants is a sheep at the mercy of the fashion industry.

Agreed but the OP states Eat less Move more...I was addressing the move more really...

As for the eat less people often forget we all don't live in the states where chicken is cheap...last time I bought chicken it was 5 skinless boneless breast for 15$.

one thing people often forget about weight loss is this...for it to be permanent there are changes that have to be made and those changes cost money...might not be a lot but it costs money in the end.

new clothing...

• K3rB3ar89
    Options
    All of my veggies alone cost give or take 60-70 bucks or more. Add yogurt at 5 a thing eggs at like 5.. my eat healthy for 2 weeks is about give or take 200 bucks and this includes box of chicken, fish ect ect... prices in the states are much much cheaper then canada.. a bag of beans is prob like 7 bucks when a box of mac and cheese is like 1.50.. reality stinks up here
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

If the subject is weight loss and not fitness, none of that is required. Weight loss can be done without spending extra money. That is the only true part of the OP.

But just because something isn't required doesn't mean it's bad. It's like suggesting that anyone that owns more than one pair of pants is a sheep at the mercy of the fashion industry.

Agreed but the OP states Eat less Move more...I was addressing the move more really...

As for the eat less people often forget we all don't live in the states where chicken is cheap...last time I bought chicken it was 5 skinless boneless breast for 15$.

one thing people often forget about weight loss is this...for it to be permanent there are changes that have to be made and those changes cost money...might not be a lot but it costs money in the end.

new clothing...

I suppose that's true, though some of us would have bought new clothing anyway. Or have a closet full of smaller clothes we can now get back into.

Life costs money any way you look at it.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options

I do not go to a gym

new clothing...

Exactly my point! My costco box of chicken was like 40 bucks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    All of my veggies alone cost give or take 60-70 bucks or more. Add yogurt at 5 a thing eggs at like 5.. my eat healthy for 2 weeks is about give or take 200 bucks and this includes box of chicken, fish ect ect... prices in the states are much much cheaper then canada.. a bag of beans is prob like 7 bucks when a box of mac and cheese is like 1.50.. reality stinks up here

I find when people are tlaking about eating less they aren't talking about permanent changes to life...people come here lose weight and gain it all back eventually because they don't look at the big picture.

Yes you can lose weight by eating less and eating KD...but lets be realistic...if you want to lose weight/maintain that weight loss and be healthy and fit it costs money...

semantics here are a pain.

And being from Canada I feel the crunch too...eggs 3.69 a dozen smh..I go through 2 dozen a week easy.
    Chicken 15$ on sale for 5 breast...25$ not on sale...

Lose weight does not cost money
    to maintain that weight loss, be healthy and fit costs money and if you aren't going for that then what is the point of losing the weight????
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I also live in canada where most of those "cheap" things you said are way more inflated lol.. i wish i could get eggs for 2 dollars.. more like 5... gotta love economy.

Honestly I'm guessing at the egg prices. I have chickens so I never buy eggs but it seems like store brand are usually < $2 a dozen where I live. The fancy cage free or organic or high omega quite a bit more I think.