Fun fact...

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    All of my veggies alone cost give or take 60-70 bucks or more. Add yogurt at 5 a thing eggs at like 5.. my eat healthy for 2 weeks is about give or take 200 bucks and this includes box of chicken, fish ect ect... prices in the states are much much cheaper then canada.. a bag of beans is prob like 7 bucks when a box of mac and cheese is like 1.50.. reality stinks up here

I find when people are tlaking about eating less they aren't talking about permanent changes to life...people come here lose weight and gain it all back eventually because they don't look at the big picture.

Yes you can lose weight by eating less and eating KD...but lets be realistic...if you want to lose weight/maintain that weight loss and be healthy and fit it costs money...

semantics here are a pain.

And being from Canada I feel the crunch too...eggs 3.69 a dozen smh..I go through 2 dozen a week easy.
    Chicken 15$ on sale for 5 breast...25$ not on sale...

Lose weight does not cost money
    to maintain that weight loss, be healthy and fit costs money and if you aren't going for that then what is the point of losing the weight????

Absolutly! Heaven for bid if you want organic!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I also live in canada where most of those "cheap" things you said are way more inflated lol.. i wish i could get eggs for 2 dollars.. more like 5... gotta love economy.

Honestly I'm guessing at the egg prices. I have chickens so I never buy eggs but it seems like store brand are usually < $2 a dozen where I live. The fancy cage free or organic or high omega quite a bit more I think.

Organic are about 4.50 a dozen here in Eastern Canada...mind you my husbands mother has chickens now...those eggs are amazing but I can't always get them...

She sells them for 4$ a dozen and people buy them up fast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!

Lots of people, including myself, lost weight eating spaghetti. My grocery bill actually went down when I lost weight. I was still eating the foods I ate before, I was just eating less of them.

This is actually cheaper.

My overall food bill went down from eating out less for lunch, but what I spend at the grocery store went up. Not a lot though and nowhere near as much as my lunch bill went down.

Oh, I realize that my experience isn't universal -- just pointing out that it is *possible* to lose weight while spending the same or less on groceries.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    I love both my Fitbit and my food scale. For me they have both been an enormous help in getting me down to my goal weight and making the process a lot more accurate and a lot less tedious.

Which means it contributed to my success in a way that made me stay the course and reach my goal which I may not have been able to achieve without their help.
  • janejellyroll
    Yall took me WAY to literally lol... i meant it as more of a figure of speech... mac and cheese maybe a dollar a box.. can of tuna 3.00 or chicken 30 a box

If you meant for us to read "No one ever lost weight eating spaghetti" as "People can lose weight while eating all sorts of foods, including pasta," I don't know if the problem here is with us or how you phrased your initial statement.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!

I lost weight eating spaghetti. We eat it one to two times a week. I just eat a more reasonable portion.

I used that in more of a form of like.. cheap food.. breads, pasta(mac and cheese) more less to say you need to spend more money on healthy food then you do on stuff like that:) i eat spagetti aswell just not everyday:p i just used tnat as an example because a pack of pasta is like 5 bucks and sauce is like a dollar lol.. i think some of you took me a little to literally lol..

I eat all of those "cheap" things and lost weight. You can literally just eat less of what you already have and you will lose weight. It doesn't have to be some special expensive food for you to be in a calorie deficit.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

If the subject is weight loss and not fitness, none of that is required. Weight loss can be done without spending extra money. That is the only true part of the OP.

But just because something isn't required doesn't mean it's bad. It's like suggesting that anyone that owns more than one pair of pants is a sheep at the mercy of the fashion industry.

Agreed but the OP states Eat less Move more...I was addressing the move more really...

As for the eat less people often forget we all don't live in the states where chicken is cheap...last time I bought chicken it was 5 skinless boneless breast for 15$.

one thing people often forget about weight loss is this...for it to be permanent there are changes that have to be made and those changes cost money...might not be a lot but it costs money in the end.

new clothing...

Exactly my point! My costco box of chicken was like 40 bucks!

Yikes! How much chicken was that? Is all the food that expensive where you live?

We have Kroger here and they always have a store brand of boneless skinless breasts for $1.99 lb. I prefer bone-in skin on most of the time though and it always irritates me that I have to pay more for it than boneless.
  • K3rB3ar89
    I also live in canada where most of those "cheap" things you said are way more inflated lol.. i wish i could get eggs for 2 dollars.. more like 5... gotta love economy.

Honestly I'm guessing at the egg prices. I have chickens so I never buy eggs but it seems like store brand are usually < $2 a dozen where I live. The fancy cage free or organic or high omega quite a bit more I think.

Organic are about 4.50 a dozen here in Eastern Canada...mind you my husbands mother has chickens now...those eggs are amazing but I can't always get them...

She sells them for 4$ a dozen and people buy them up fast.

Same as here in sask(western canada) i used to live in eastern canada for a year and its actually abit more expensive for certain things even there! The economy is also still better in western canada here then it is there tho! Eastern canada kinda got the crappy end of the economy stick:p
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment. If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more. The toys and expensive outfits..unnecessary. I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order. Weight loss does t have to cost you any money. Don't be a sheep. The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed. Nope. Move your *kitten* and eat less. That is all you need.

I don't know if this is really a fun fact. I mean everything requires more than one action usually. They bought a fit bit that made them move more, so no the fit bit alone didn't do it, but it was the cause of it. Same with the nice clothes that made somebody feel comfortable to go to the gym, or to a fitness class, or just be seen out running, or the that expensive equipment that let somebody workout at home because they were ashamed to workout in public.

I know people like to come on here, and motivate people with these words of wisdom, but lets not discourage people from doing things that can help them be more healthy. Go buy those things if you have the means too, and it makes you feel more comfortable in what you are doing.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    You can't have my Fitbit or my food scale. Without those, I would still be rocking 300+ pounds, likely more since I would be sure "I'm eating so little".

Me, too. I am successful because I hold myself accountable...by using tools that cost money. I am VERY good at living in denial/fantasy land(overestimating my activity/underestimating my intake). My activity tracker, food scale, and MFP logging keeps it real.
  • K3rB3ar89
    bagge72 wrote: »

I lost weight eating spaghetti. We eat it one to two times a week. I just eat a more reasonable portion.

I used that in more of a form of like.. cheap food.. breads, pasta(mac and cheese) more less to say you need to spend more money on healthy food then you do on stuff like that:) i eat spagetti aswell just not everyday:p i just used tnat as an example because a pack of pasta is like 5 bucks and sauce is like a dollar lol.. i think some of you took me a little to literally lol..

I eat all of those "cheap" things and lost weight. You can literally just eat less of what you already have and you will lose weight. It doesn't have to be some special expensive food for you to be in a calorie deficit.

Id rather pay abit more to eat abit more then too eat less and spend less if that makes sense.. i feel you wouldnt get tbe same nutrition eating all that spagetti as you would eating a huge salad with chicken breast
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member

The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

As usual...people take a statement and make assumptions. I said EXPENSIVE workout clothes. You don't need 100$ yoga pants to do yoga. They will not make you better at yoga. By all means though...spend thousands of dollars on *kitten* you don't actually need because a TV commercial tells you so, only to lose weight temporarily and then gain it back (like most dieters). Is the goal is to LOSE WEIGHT, then yeah, no reason you need a bunch of gadgets to do that. If you play sports then that is different. Your goal is probably performance based, or you are competing. That is not what I'm talking about here. The diet industry wants to convince you that you need their crap to lose weight or be on the cutting edge. They promise a quicker way. An easier way. A way that gives you something to talk to your friends at the water cooler at work about. You don't have to fall for it.
  • janejellyroll
    bagge72 wrote: »

Id rather pay abit more to eat abit more then too eat less and spend less if that makes sense.. i feel you wouldnt get tbe same nutrition eating all that spagetti as you would eating a huge salad with chicken breast

All foods have different nutrients. A healthful diet can include pasta, greens, and chicken -- it's not like we have to choose one meal or the other for the rest of our lives. A diet of just greens and chicken is going to have issues as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I do not go to a gym

As usual...people take a statement and make assumptions. I said EXPENSIVE workout clothes. You don't need 100$ yoga pants to do yoga. They will not make you better at yoga. By all means though...spend thousands of dollars on *kitten* you don't actually need because a TV commercial tells you so, only to lose weight temporarily and then gain it back (like most dieters). Is the goal is to LOSE WEIGHT, then yeah, no reason you need a bunch of gadgets to do that. If you play sports then that is different. Your goal is probably performance based, or you are competing. That is not what I'm talking about here. The diet industry wants to convince you that you need their crap to lose weight or be on the cutting edge. They promise a quicker way. An easier way. A way that gives you something to talk to your friends at the water cooler at work about. You don't have to fall for it.

lol you addressed this to someone who only owns name brand workout gear because someone bought it for her....

you addressed this to someone who has lost over 50lbs and maintained it for 3 years without ever paying for a gym membership

to lose weight no you don't need to spend money but to lose weight, maintain it and be healthy yes you do.

So instead of bashing me look at your statement and ask where there it can be corrected...

• K3rB3ar89
    The point isnt the spagetti anyways. I used it as a figure of speech since here in canada isnt nearly as cheap as the states. If you go shopping and spend like 40 bucks we pay like 70.. thats not technical math lol but it wasnt meant literally and i think its comical how many of you took it seriously. Ok how about this. We can go into our superstore and buy a huge pizza for 5 bucks but that big salad will cost you about 15 here.. so.. if you went and bought a 5 dollar pizza everyday ate the whole thing would you lose weight? Maybe but prob not and ita not healthy.. 15 dollars for your salad everyday and you would prob lose weight but you cant eat that salad over tome cuz you would prob want it all. But that pizza would last you all day but you would have to fight to drop weight like that.. its expensive here.. maybe the spagetti thing was maybe more of a canadian saying.. lol
  • K3rB3ar89

I do not go to a gym

That reminds me! I need new lulu lemons! Why? Cuz its my money.. no we dont NEED anything.. but the fact you call us all "sheep" is kinda insulting.. who cares what people use if it works for them? Mfp, fitbits, gyms, work out videos? Shoes, clothing ect.. its all there too manage and maintain and make things easier. You dont need mfp but here you are.. its a tool to help and its worked for millions! Do you wanna work out in jeans or in sneakers? Wouldnt you rather have a better idea of calories burnt? Again your post seemed a bit insulting but ill take it with a grain of salt because its works!